Army

Valrei International: Resource Nodes & More!

3 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

That said, the future of Chaos is a matter of the whole community, not just recently active PvP players. Chaos/Wild is part of Freedom, and not only self proclaimed "the PvP community" has a say.

I'm sorry, but Chaos is not a "part" of Freedom, and I don't want people who are ignorant of PvP to have any say in a playstyle they have no desire to participate in. The last thing the PvP community needs is a bunch of mechanics and features decided by people who think they know what is best for them, when they don't even play on the server or understand the concept of PvP in Wurm.

The only true interest that Chaos has for a lot of people on SFI is PMK merchandise, which I think a lot of people agree on that this needs an overhaul, allowing Freedom alliances to have their own artwork outside of the realm and requirements of PvP.

• Like 7
  • Cat 2

I disagree. Chaos is an open offer to all Freedom players to participate in PvP, and, deny it if you honestly can, Freedom is a retreat, storage, and training ground for Chaos players. The PMK stuff is one aspect (financing PvP activities), unique loot another. Depriving Freedom players, no less than Chaos players, of options is something affecting the whole community.

There is no tag "PvP" on any single player or character. It is an individual decision of every Wurm player which can be taken or revoked anytime.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

"Avseende Wurm, bolagets främsta produkt och där fokus legat, har vi jobbat med en rad aktiviteter under kvartal tre. Projekt har startats för att optimera spelets grafik och ljussättning samt stora uppdateringar avseende quality of life och speldesign för att göra spelet mer användarvänligt samt minska tröskeln för nya spelare att snabbare komma in i spelet. Dessa projekt avser att testas och lanseras under kvartal fyra. Bolaget har även börjat marknadsföra spelet på sociala medier efter tidigare års uppehåll. Vi har nu ett team på plats för att producera marknadsföringsmaterial och planera community-relaterade events. Vi jobbar aktivt med vår marknadsstrategi och analyserar data från betald marknadsföring för att utkristallisera vilka plattformar som ger bäst konvertering och vilken typ av content som är mest slagkraftig."

I read swedish, but here's a google translate for y'all:

Regarding Wurm, the company's main product and where the focus has been, we have worked on a series of activities during quarter three. Projects have been started to optimize the game's graphics and lighting as well as major updates regarding quality of life and game design to make the game more user-friendly and reduce the threshold for new players to get into the game faster. These projects intend to be tested and launched in quarter four. The company has also started promoting the game on social media after a break in previous years. We now have a team in place to produce marketing materials and plan community-related events. We work actively with our marketing strategy and analyze data from paid marketing to clarify which platforms provide the best conversion and which type of content is most impactful.

-

This is from the tertiary report from Game Chest Group AB, written by Krister Elmgren - source can be found here: https://gamechestgroup.com/investor-relations/press-release/22051

-

When exactly will we see the "projects" to be tested and launched?

Im also curious of who the marketing team consists of, that he speaks about. Is it the community manager?

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 6

The shop prices seem confusing and inconsistent. What's up with them?

This form of monetization is still quite new to us and we are still learning how to make use of it correctly. We plan to introduce packs with multiple skins for example. I can only promise that we will improve on this in the future.

Come on now, we've had the what? 10 some years of monetization examples that have destroyed games or have prop them up on a pedestal. We don't need to start new here, we can use others success and failures to hedge our success.

On a personal note though, I hate the idea of "packs" of anything, because it just allows for shady currency manipulation that we've all seen in crappy mobile games IE: (the item I want is 10 dollars, but I can only buy 9 dollars worth of currency at a time.. oh chucks I guess it's actually 18 dollars and not 10)
Lets be real here, this is virtual space in a virtual world in a virtual store front. SPACE is endless, give us choices to buy what we want and only what we want.

• Like 3

K7TtEVU.png

why no actual useful skins like plate chainmail skins?   is it because you profit off dragon armour sales that much?

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

I swear everytime I load up the forums these past 8 months im just disappointed on repeat. 

The streamer thing is interesting too, Thorin hit it on the head, who are all of these people launching new phases and why is the program named the CCPP? Did you vet that first or what? 

Also,

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

I disagree. Chaos is an open offer to all Freedom players to participate in PvP, and, deny it if you honestly can, Freedom is a retreat, storage, and training ground for Chaos players. The PMK stuff is one aspect (financing PvP activities), unique loot another. Depriving Freedom players, no less than Chaos players, of options is something affecting the whole community.

There is no tag "PvP" on any single player or character. It is an individual decision of every Wurm player which can be taken or revoked anytime.

Mate get off it. Same attitude as those that cry a DPS class in WoW does too much damage in their Heroic dungeon while the class doesn't even make a spot in a mythic 25+ group - clueless to the content that the changes actually effect.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Sorry, you hired Hamtad a guy that had a full fledged melt down over trees on a PvE server?

HAHA

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

When exactly will we see the "projects" to be tested and launched?

Im also curious of who the marketing team consists of, that he speaks about. Is it the community manager?

question that will never be answered becoiuse its all talk talk talk.

Maybe its just me but ressource node feels like a big wast of time, is this really a highly required features? got a feeling foraging/botanizing is only used by brand new players and ofc a few others.

i have only seen pictures but it looks like it will be very messy.

And nothing agains the new streamers but according to their youtube channels it seems like most subscribers they got comming from the wurm community, isnt the point to get the word out and showcase it to bring in new players? you allready got streamers thats known ouitside of wurm, did you ever consider them? Did they say no?

in 2 days i will go unsubbed for the first time in 4 years, and i havent seen mutch to change my mind.

merge north and south. that would allow the pvp for sail to each others servers too,  

I have a tiny deed full of packed goods. and alts. and 3 ships ready to sail from SFI to NFI for years now.  

events would be a lot more fun with more players and more events to go to also. 

friday evening only 300 per cluster online now.  the more the merrier .

other wise love the up coming updates. 

• Like 5

Shoot, thought this was announcing the nodes being live now.

• Like 1

No need to worry about retaining your current pvp playerbase at this point.

• Like 6

If I could give one tip to you Army it would be this: 

Learn from things in the past, even if you don't agree with them, try and learn why the decisions were made and how processes worked. You don't have to start from scratch and make all the same mistakes 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, validate said:

merge north and south. that would allow the pvp for sail to each others servers too,  

I have a tiny deed full of packed goods. and alts. and 3 ships ready to sail from SFI to NFI for years now.  

events would be a lot more fun with more players and more events to go to also. 

friday evening only 300 per cluster online now.  the more the merrier .

other wise love the up coming updates. 

If only this would happen, the servers should have been merged years ago, they are only harming the community by keeping them separate. I don't know how hard it would be to merge them but I feel if they haven't been working on doing this now then I can't see it happening for many more years which is unacceptable really.

I have a deed on NFI and SFI, I would like to be able to sail from 1 to the other, the prices would probably have to adjust on the market but I'm sure it can be worked on at least.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

Learn from things in the past, even if you don't agree with them, try and learn why the decisions were made and how processes worked. You don't have to start from scratch and make all the same mistakes 

He won't.

He already said it two montsh ago: "He's going to do things his own way."
Which means he's going to invent the wheel, the gun powder, the steam engine, generating electricity, building the first computer, write the first computer game code and so forth..........................

• Cat 1

What can I say?
The owners of this game treat it like a mobile game cause that is the trade they are really in.

Besides that I have always been under the impression that the pvp community spend way more silver than us freedomers cause of their need to hire many guards and the cost for upkeeps.
Not nurturing their needs is prolly costing the owners revenue.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Army said:

Instead, we are currently planning a general (non-merge) solution for character transfers between clusters, including PvE and PvP. We will soon inform you about our plans in detail, as this will require some public discussion in advance.

ignoring the fact that this is even worse of a bandaid solution (if transferring characters is fine why would you not just do a full merge?) it just adds more uncertainty to state it like that. are skills transferring 1-1 and it's meaningless to improve your skills/buy prem during black friday if you have another higher skilled toon on the other cluster and you're not announcing it until the sales over? are all these skins we're buying during the sale going to be stuck on one cluster, or will items go through? will banks/meditation/faith cross?

i'm not trying to be overly negative but more and more recently it seems like recent changes and directions for the future are completely disconnected with the community, followed by apology posts for being so disconnected. like i've seen plenty of people both for and against full merges but i've never once heard of someone thinking a third epic portal is the right idea lol. forums are the more vocal users and aren't really representative of the entire game community so you should really reintroduce polling changes, it's already built in the game via /poll and successful in other games, OSRS probably being the most relevant due to the similarities in time investment.

Poll_Result_Pre-Hiding.png?759b6

even something simple like requiring prem to vote, throwing in recent suggestion threads/ideas the devs throw out and polls with >70% yes votes get considered by devs would be a major improvement over what goes on now

• Like 30
  • Cat 1

I wish I could give more than one like, but Oblivion is once again spot on.

Reintroduce the polling feature and let the playing and paying community have a voice in future decisions please, thanks.

Edited by Milkdrop
typo
  • Like 3

What in God’s name does resource nodes have to do with player retention? That being the excuse to shelf pvp but then a random PVE update is the focus? The focus does not seem to be player retention, it seems to be milking the game for all it has. Every update has been shoving the shop, silver, and skins down our throat. 

Edited by user
  • Like 4
  • Cat 2

Telling someone they have their heads so far up their asses they've become blind is, in fact, bashing.

• Like 6

In my opinion:

I think recently there has been a cultural shift, separating the overall staff culture and outlook from the overall player culture and outlook.  It is important that all of us are reading from the same page, and aligned in thinking and understanding of each other's needs and limitations. We need to break down these real or imagined barriers, to avoid a 'them and us' divide.  United we stand, divided we fall. It is vital for Wurm Online that the developers' efforts are synchronised with the needs of the player base, or their efforts will be wasted or underappreciated.  Necessity is the mother of invention, and so the developers should listen more closely to the *needs* of the players, rather than dismiss their concerns.  A good development team is 'all ears at all times' - the best secret to commercial success is accurate insight into the customer's actual needs, not relying on surmise or speculation. For this, you need to take the time to play alongside the players, and listen - both when they speak up and when they don't.  It should be the clients' needs that drive innovation, not management targets. Instead, focus on creating a product that solves problems that the customer brings to the table, this creates value for the customer, and the customer will gladly pay.

• Like 10

I am not even disappointed at this point, it's been obvious that there isn't fire power for the bang and this is what going to happen and it's been talked about during this past year at least.

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Even after 5 new community managers changes you never gonna change. I am sceptical about all of this but at least he's sending the message from the background staff cleary enough and i don't see him try to convince me that the sky is red on every criticizm or patronize me like i am 3 year old.

Asked me 5 years ago if I would actually believe the dev team+ management thinks the cash shop/silver shop was the key to player retention and id have called you a fool?

On 11/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, Army said:

Why are there no PvP updates? Why was the PvP merge suggestion closed?

As Krister mentioned back in July already, the focus for this year is on player retention and other features. That's why new PvP content fell very short in the past months.

That's also part of the reason why we couldn't just follow the merge suggestion. It would require quite some preparation and development time, and would only result in another bandaid solution which probably wouldn't work out in the long run.

Instead, we are currently planning a general (non-merge) solution for character transfers between clusters, including PvE and PvP. We will soon inform you about our plans in detail, as this will require some public discussion in advance.

So are PvP updates completely off the table?

Smaller adjustments and fixes are still possible, even if our main development focus is on other things at the moment.

If you have balancing concerns or ideas on how to improve the PvP experience within that scope, please use the suggestions section on the forum.

I know that there have been some fitting PvP related suggestions already. It would be still nice if we could narrow them down a bit, as we could create a poll for these changes more easily then for example.

I have an idea about PVP servers. It's more about merging people than servers. 

The biggest problem with PVP servers is that if there is a connection to a PVE server then people will choose to spend most of their time on that PVE server. They do this because it's safer to grind, easier to buy/sell supplies and tools, and they can take advantage of PoK and other features that are less useful (or unavailable) on PVP servers.

People who are left on the PVP server slowly stop playing due to the lower active population, which is a vicious circle resulting in a dead server.

My idea is for a new separate PVP server that allows for one way transfers from other servers. You can join from any existing server on SFI and NFI, transferring your existing character. But, it's only one way, there's no going back.

That new server would have the same ruleset as Defiance (e.g. no tomes, raid windows). It could also have various incentives, such as faster skillgain and PMKs.

This can be done without drastic changes. It's only a rough idea and I don't know if people would be interested in sacrificing their accounts just for the PVP server. But from my point of view, I would rather be stuck on an active PVP server and play rather than not play at all.

Edited by Ryaanna
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

ignoring the fact that this is even worse of a bandaid solution (if transferring characters is fine why would you not just do a full merge?) it just adds more uncertainty to state it like that. are skills transferring 1-1 and it's meaningless to improve your skills/buy prem during black friday if you have another higher skilled toon on the other cluster and you're not announcing it until the sales over? are all these skins we're buying during the sale going to be stuck on one cluster, or will items go through? will banks/meditation/faith cross?

i'm not trying to be overly negative but more and more recently it seems like recent changes and directions for the future are completely disconnected with the community, followed by apology posts for being so disconnected. like i've seen plenty of people both for and against full merges but i've never once heard of someone thinking a third epic portal is the right idea lol. forums are the more vocal users and aren't really representative of the entire game community so you should really reintroduce polling changes, it's already built in the game via /poll and successful in other games, OSRS probably being the most relevant due to the similarities in time investment.

Poll_Result_Pre-Hiding.png?759b6

even something simple like requiring prem to vote, throwing in recent suggestion threads/ideas the devs throw out and polls with >70% yes votes get considered by devs would be a major improvement over what goes on now

i'll agree on that.. (I'm kind of taking that all out of context, but let me build on that brick)

we had some really odd ball seriously damaging the "game-image" changes, which are in some random direction opposite from what kept the game going for so long, these ideas seem to be randomly picked up and mostly suggested by new nfi-players, kind of ... "darnok" themed.. 

We do need more content, but it could be for example... NOT RUINING WELL WORKING CONTENT, and still offer something new... for/bot change, changes something really well working and reliable mechanic into some <I'll skip using words as I'll have to censor them anyway>, um yea.. imagine having a full map of useful resource in a sandbox game.. then an update which turns all that into a tiny fraction and demands a lot more time to get same things done, in addition it dilutes the results and forces even further interaction and time to get same results.. while it falsely advertise to be something new and cool, but there's nothing cool about it, you get same loot... and now have to invest a lot more time and effort for tiny chance to get 1-2 new items? That's cool.. maybe.. I don't find it "fun", not in the "standard" league(home servers), while this could be event and off-world exploration feature as only way or special way to gain special resources, this completely replaces well working content with obnoxious extra work for basically 99.9999999999999% of the time same results, and costs most time/effort. That's not cool.

Army, I very much disapproved of Retrograde. Please be wary of using advise given by Archaed.

Your positive, non-confrontation, informative as you can be and try to be fun. That is a recipe for success in my book.

note, if Archead can give advise on how to move forward, I can also give opposing advise.

• Like 3