Sign in to follow this  
Garit

Alchemy System

Greetings my Lords and Ladies of Wurm...

After taking a look at Lady Brash_Endeavors "Crafter Stations", which btw is a GREAT IDEA and really needs adding to the game...

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/113185-crafter-stations-potter-jeweler-tailor-alchemist-etc/

I posted a +1 and she replied about my old Alchemy system i linked.....saying it has been a long time and that the Dev's look at most of the ideas now i wanted to re-post my old idea....

I always saw Alchemy in Wurm as lackluster and wish it was so much more - Coloured smoke coming from my Alchemy Workshop and mixing all the herbs and animal body parts to make potions and stuff.

So here is it....and btw the Potions are only idea's....the Alchemy system is the idea and it's up to the Dev's what potions they add.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Here is my idea for an Alchemy system for the game… I know there has been other posts about Alchemy but I would like to throw my idea into the mixing pot.

Glass
Glass made from heating a heap of sand in a forge.

• Place 1 heap of sand into a forge until Glowing from the heat – makes Glass lump.

Glass bottle

• Activate a lump of Glass (0.50kg) glowing from the heat.
  • Right-click a small anvil.

Glass bottles hold a max of 1.00 of Liquid.

Retort
In a chemistry laboratory, a retort is a glassware device used for distillation or dry distillation of substances.

• Activate a lump of Glass (1.00kg) glowing from the heat.
  • Open submenu “Create > Containers > Retort.

Alembic
An alembic is an alchemical still consisting of two vessels connected by a tube.

• Activate a lump of Copper (2.00kg) glowing from the heat.
  • Open submenu “Create > Containers > Alembic.

Mortar and Pestle
The mortar is a bowl, typically made of hard wood, ceramic or stone. The pestle is a heavy club-shaped object, the end of which is used for crushing and grinding.

• Activate a Stone chisel.
  • Right-click Marble shards (10.00kg).
  • Open submenu “Create > Containers > Mortar and Pestle.

Alchemy Table
A long wooden table displaying a set of Alchemy equipment use for making potions and other compounds.

• Activate a Shaft.
  • Right-click a Plank.
  • Open submenu “Create > Containers > Alchemy Table.

Additional materials
3x Shaft.
3x Plank.
1x Mortar and Pestle.
1x Retort.
1x Alembic.

Using the Alchemy Table
Using the Alchemy Table is sort of like using the Forge.
Base Potions

• Place 1 Glass bottle into the Alchemy table.
  • Activate 1 Base ingredient.
  • Right-click the Glass bottle inside the Alchemy table.

Potions

• Place 1 Base potion into the Alchemy table.
  • Activate 1 Prime ingredient.
  • Right-click the Base potion inside the Alchemy table.

Potion Making
Making Potions is like a Priest casting spells, where a Priests spells are limited to what level he/she is in Faith Potions are limited to your skill in “Natural substancesâ€.
Higher level Potions require a higher Natural substance skill.

Difficulty
Difficulty of a Potion is the same as difficulty of a Priest spell only when making a Potion and you fail there is a change that the Alchemy Table, Glass bottle and the player can be damaged when the Potion fails.
In most cases the Glass bottle is destroyed (75% chance), some cases the Alchemy table is damaged (50% chance) and the player may be wounded (50% chance).

Below is a small list of ideas for Potions –

Clay Potion
NS skill – 70
Difficulty – 60
Base Potion – (0.10kg) Clay
Prime ingredient – Troll gland.

This Potion, when used on a flat tile near water will turn that tile into a clay tile.
The tile will stay and can be dug for clay but after 1 full wurm day it will turn back into a dirt tile.

Tar Potion
NS skill – 60
Difficulty – 50
Base Potion – (0.10kg) Tar
Prime ingredient – 1 Fillet of Goblin meat.

As with the Clay Potion the Tar turns any flat packed dirt tile into a Tar tile which can be dug. After 1 full wurm day the tile turns back into a dirt tile.

Black Powder Potion
NS skill – 90
Difficulty – 80
Base Potion – (0.50kg) Charcoal
Prime ingredient – (0.10kg) Flint
Black powder aka gun powder – in Potion form can be thrown PVE at mobs or PVP at other players, damage and effects would be up to GM’s.
The Potion, when finished can also be poured into a small barrel to make a mining charge.

Mining Charge
NS skill – 90
Difficulty – 85

• Activate a Charcoal (15.00kg)
  • Right-click on a small barrel.

Mining charge is used in mining out rock tiles. The charge is used on the wall of choice inside a mine, the wall that it is used on is destroyed and leaves no rock shards.
As Black powder can only be made in Potion form and there for only in small amounts a Mining charge is hard to make. 15 Black powder Potions need to be made to make 15.00kg of Black powder for 1 Mining charge.

Potion of Wind
NS skill – 50
Difficulty – 40
Base Potion – Cotton string (0.50kg)
Prime ingredient – water (0.50kg)

The Potion of Wind, when used on a boat increases the boat / ships speed to a max of 17.00 km/h for 1 full wurm day after which the speed of the boat / ship returns to normal.
This Potion should only be used in low wind conditions as if the boats speed is above 17.00 km/h due to wind it will be lowered to the 17.00 km/h max of the Potion used.

Potion of Lesser Healing
NS skill – 30
Difficulty – 20
Base Potion – Rose flower (0.05kg)
Prime ingredient – Rags cotton (0.20kg)

The Potion of Lesser Healing can be used on all wounds apart from Bruises. This Potion is used on wounds just like Cotton or a Healing cover but Healing Potions act as both …. The Potion acts as both Cotton and Healing cover and the wound it is used on will end up being Bandaged and Treated.
Potions of Lesser Healing can only treat Medium wounds and below.

Potion of Healing
NS skill – 60
Difficulty – 50
Base Potion – Troll gland (0.04kg)
Prime ingredient – Rags cotton (0.20kg)

The Potion of Healing works just like a Potion of Lesser Healing the only difference is that it can be used on Bad wounds and below. This Potion still Bandages and Treats the wound in one.

Potion of Greater Healing
NS skill – 80
Difficulty – 70
Base Potion – Crocodile gland (0.03kg)
Prime ingredient – Troll gland (0.04kg)

The Potion of Greater Healing works just like it’s lower counter parts only this potion can be used on Severe wounds and below. This Potion still Bandages and Treats the wound in one.

Potion of Dispel
NS skill – 20
Difficulty – 10
Base Potion – Willow sprout (0.20kg)
Prime ingredient – Ash (0.10)

The Potion of Dispel is used to dispel magic placed on an item or tile. This can be used to remove Enchanted trees, plants or grass and can be used to remove other magic enchantments on items.

Potion of Transmute
NS skill – 95
Difficulty – 80
Base Potion – Lead (0.50kg)
Prime ingredient – Gold (0.50kg)

This Potion does what it says on the tin. Use this potion on any base metal – Iron, Copper, Tin, Zink etc … and you can turn that base metal into any other base metal. This potion cannot be used to make Alloys – Steel, bronze, Brass etc.
The Transmuted metal is always half the weight of the base metal – Iron (1.00kg) Trans to Lead = (0.50kg) / Copper (5.00kg) Trans to Tin = (2.25kg).
This Potion may also be used to turn Marble into Slate or Slate into Marble.

I also have a load of other Potions to add to the list but I know that all you guys will have Potion ideas of your own and I didn’t want to make the list to long.

This is just an idea on how I think this may work (with out to much work and change to the game for the Dev’s) and any other input into the idea Good or Bad is always welcome.

Cool down is based on Sleep Bonus draining in where the making of each Potion would drain 15 mins Sleep Bonus.
This addon would make Sleep Bonus a valued resource for high end players. It would also reduce the flak that Rolf and the Dev's get from players saying "the server has been down for hours and all i get is crappy Sleep Bonus"

I think this would change to "OMG i have 5 hrs Sleep Bonus i'm making Potions today"

If you like the idea pls click a like for me if not say why not… it all adds to the game and any idea's for new Potions add them below. :)

• Like 16

So glad to see your idea surface again!! 

Hopefully it will catch some dev attention this time around

+1000, I really enjoy this idea. Especially if it was implemented in a semi-realistic (and scientific)way. If it had complexity such that you've implied, I think that it would truly be fitting in the realm of Wurm.

I'd personally enjoy it if you simply mixed ingredients and see what happens. Different effects, potency, etc based on what ingredients you used. Although that sounds like a coding and game-balance nightmare :P

Edited by williamwierd

Love it.  Would be a blast to add this and what a treat for those folks that put skill developement into this area.

Yes, please +1. I would very much enjoy the addition of these types of things to the game. 

lesser/greater healing just sounds straight out of skyrim, but thats okay, my main concerns are:

bsb glands and having to keep a croc or troll gland around just for this.

usage of sb just to make potions? isnt a mechanic that exists in game anf frankly isnt one id like to see.

glass lump + anvil? seems a good way to wind up with molten shards in ones face

I like the idea of revamping alchemy, but i think the potions uses, as well as mechanics listed here aren't the way to go

Love the idea, but would just like to replace small anvill whit new tool, pipe looking device that is actualy used for making glass containers in real life

This would be so excellent. +1 from me too. Level 70:  Mad Scientist :D

Some of the requirements... 90/95 NS seem way too steep.

I love the idea, but implementing such fun features that only a handful (if even that) of players can actually use seems like wasted dev time.

I'd rather see it with lower requirements but high chance of failure and longer timers at lower skill, so it is still accessible but with reduced efficiency.

Grinding NS is a long road, and tough to come by the materials if suddenly this was implemented.

Sounds like fun though! I'd like to see more potions etc in the game. The imbuement ones are great, but something to actually use on a daily basis etc would be nice.

+1

This could give Fo priests some new love, seeing as Alchemy is available to them. Maybe make it possible for Fo priests to "bottle" certain spells, like Genesis or Wild Growth to allow other players to have a one/multi use "cast" of the bottled spell? There's other spells which could fit in the potion-category as well, like Ward, Bearpaws, Oakshell and so on. But since I don't have a lot of experience with the use of those spells nor any PVP experience, I don't really know how feasible they would be as potions in both PVP and PVE environments. Thoughts on this?

• Like 1

lesser/greater healing just sounds straight out of skyrim, but thats okay, my main concerns are:

bsb glands and having to keep a croc or troll gland around just for this.

usage of sb just to make potions? isnt a mechanic that exists in game anf frankly isnt one id like to see.

glass lump + anvil? seems a good way to wind up with molten shards in ones face

I like the idea of revamping alchemy, but i think the potions uses, as well as mechanics listed here aren't the way to go

Edited by Garit

Heck yeah !!! Gimme a mortar & pestle, an alembic and a retort, and I'm happy camper.

Big +1

That would be great to have some more use of that skill. Strong +! from me

I think this would be great being added to the game.

Even though this is a low fantasy game, I dont think any of these would take away from that. Lets face it there is all ready a lot of magic in game.

I'd love to see this happen.

+1

Especially since this is a game about magic and alchemy was such a big part of early "sciences" and magical lore.

+1 my only suggestion would be that instead of using an anvil to create a glass container...maybe add a new tool, the glass blowing rod...seeing as that is how glass containers would have been made...other then that, love everything else

Always open to a more advanced alchemy setup, especially something with player-crafted poisons and counters.

Mortar and pestle can work for making basic compounds and powders.

Mix with water or alcohol (cooking n brewing, or just use high ql wine?) to make tonics or elixirs respectively.

Other alchemy tools can help increase the potion potency or ql.

Edited by Klaa

+1 Great post, lots of good ideas to make this game even deeper! +1

+1

Finally a reason other than genesis and courier to be a fo priest on freedom ^_^