Vorticella

Uncovered wagons is a QoL feature and should not be a shop item

24 minutes ago, Army said:

I see the problem and I've talked with the devs about it. The issue was acknowledged and we will work on a solution to improve the visibility when using a wagon in third person.

The uncovered wagon skin will stay, but a skin giving a gameplay advantage (or being used to fix a QoL issue) is definitely not intended.

I think the question that remains for many now is, how was this not caught early on? How did someone not realise what the implication of this skin was and what it might cause?

Devs play the game, I don't think it's a far cry to suggest that someone at least had the thought that the playerbase would feel grifted by being made to pay for the privilege of using a skin that already existed and likely didn't need any work to be made to work for players to use.

• Like 13

Of course it would slip, it's just too many yes men. Take a look at the nodes for example

I came to the forums to bring up this exact concern. WHY THE .... should I have to pay for something like this?!  I'm hoping this gets fixed properly by giving the players an option to cover/uncover as needed but even if it is corrected I have lost some faith in the direction of this game.  Stop trying to get money from me for every little thing. This is a crafting sandbox game not a skin collecting pokemon gotta catch em all game.

• Like 2

Since this is like a cosmetic thing, I'd expect at least for it to be a cash shop ability to uncover our wagons. But now basically I have to buy the skin for every wagon I want to uncover. Then what if I want to show my JK, MR, etc wagon again? It simply makes no sense to have this as a cosmetic.

Wake up and realize that this is our future in Wurm.  Pay for deeds to be created, pay for them to stick around.  Pay for multiple accounts, because you can't be a priest and do all the things.  Pay for really simple QoL.  Pay for traders then have much of their function removed. 

They know that they can't get any meaningful amount of new players.  Their only hope for the game is extracting every penny from the long time existing loyal player base.  Be prepared for more extractions folks.  I think it is time for me to shut down any WO activities.  Can't tell you how many times I looked at the store and the Black Friday sale and every time I get ready to pull the trigger on yearly subs for my 10 main alts (different servers), I hesitate and pull back - close the page. 

Lately I've been back in Unlimited, on Sklo's servers, rather than my own private server and am finding it to be such a relief to play there.  So much QoL is added.  Community is amazing.  Financial pressure is so low there.  I spend plenty and it is a drop in the bucket, compared to what it takes to live a similar lifestyle in WO, but I gladly spend with Sklo, for all they do to make it enjoyable.

At this point, I really only miss 2 things about WO:  My friends and that excited, happy feeling I used to get when I would log into the game and forums.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, gnomegates said:

Make the default wagon that is crafted the new uncovered skin version, then have a million different skins that can be purchased from the store and allow them to be toggled on or off. It always amazes me how much possible income is never tapped into by the decisions that are made. 

The way they just added this skin pretty much makes it a one time purchase, when if they gave many different skins, with any skin that is applied to the wagon can be toggled on or off, and then even can rotate through the different skins that were applied. Makes that one 10s skin purchase for the wagon into an unlimited possible purchase, as long as you have different skins that were purchased that can be added to the same wagon.

Tap into the player base to help come up with different design ideas for different skins, have an approval process of course, but use the resources that are here.

This. So many airballs on what could have been both a cash grab AND made your player base happy (to the degree anyone can.)

Tbh I'm surprised the Wagon doesn't build by default without any cover.

Then a player could have the option to build a cover later with further materials.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Army said:

I see the problem and I've talked with the devs about it. The issue was acknowledged and we will work on a solution to improve the visibility when using a wagon in third person.

The uncovered wagon skin will stay, but a skin giving a gameplay advantage (or being used to fix a QoL issue) is definitely not intended.

Money, money, and milk som more, Skins are the death knocking on this door. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Army said:

While looking at wagons, can you see about making the target box a bit bigger?

I feel it was larger in the past but changed a few months ago.

What I mean is, to access it/open it,  from anywhere but almost at the seat in front, one needs to stand inside the covered part.

If I want to drink or eat from a container in the wagon, for example, I might as well just board it since I have to be so close to the seat to interact.

I'm sure it hasn't always been that way. But even is it always was, it is annoying.

• Like 1

I was going to purchase the wagon skin , but glad i found out it is perma set as off .

10s now and then 15s later ?  no thanks .

Fix or let us know if you plan to have a roll up or down before sale is over then i will get one .

Slap in the face as a skin. Pay to make your quality of life better. 

Okay. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Army said:

Well, which is it?  Staying or not giving advantage/QoL improvement?  It can't be both, because an uncovered wagon IS a QoL improvement that gives a gameplay advantage.

This is one of those major missteps that really are irreversible.  It never should have been a skin for sale - but it is.  People have probably already bought it.  Wurm is now selling improved usability of an item - pay to win, if you will.   If the toggle-based switching on/off of the wagon cover is now introduced, those who paid money to have it will be disadvantaged because they parted with silver (for which they likely parted with real-world currency) to lock in a new visual for their wagon while everyone else would have the ability to gain the same advantage by flipping a switch.

Basically Wurm has sold an advantage, and to fix it they have to give away an even greater advantage, leaving those who paid at a disadvantage.   

<slow ironic golf clap>

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Yes I agree, it should have been able to be toggled on and off. I paid the 10s for it only because I was sick of not being able to see everywhere, I use my wagon for farming so it is much easier when I can see without the cover on. Hopefully something gets sorted for this, it isn't right to force people to buy it just to be able to see on the wagon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Army said:

What  will happen with those who bought the skin already for visibility and since another solution will be provided and it becomes a 10s thrown out the window? Refunds?

• Like 2

WARNING AI REPLY

Lately, I've been thinking about the game scene, you know? Microtransactions are cool, I get it – devs gotta make a living. But here's the thing: we need more than just that. We need a mix of paid stuff and free updates to keep things interesting. I mean, who doesn't love new content dropping regularly? It keeps us hooked and invested. Plus, if it's all about microtransactions, it's like creating a VIP club for those with deep pockets, leaving the rest of us in the dust. Let's mix it up so everyone gets a shot at the cool stuff.

And let's talk community. We all love it when devs listen, right? Having regular updates based on player feedback builds a killer community. It's a two-way street – they give us what we want, we keep the game alive and buzzing. A dynamic system means devs can try new things, keeping the gameplay fresh. Microtransactions alone might keep things stale. So, what's your take on this? Are you all in for microtransactions, or do you think we need a bit of both? Drop your thoughts below! 🎮✌️

Kind of lazy to type, let me grab coffee 1st.., I'll join later, but ye... tl;dr, we need a mix of content, upgrades or modifications to existing content would be nice sandbox element buildup.. new craftable elements.. with or without shop addition, for example.. you want A item.. but it requites B shop part, with it .. it turns into C, without it .. it turns into a bit messier lower ql or pale, torn, broken-ish... item variation D, leave option to add B later to turn the D into A, this still leaves the option to monetize, alternative as long D is useful etc.. it's the perfect freemium alternative, but still leaves the option for everybody to try new content.

Expensive free and paid options should constantly be added to the game for items players use or new introduced items, old ones used by many players or specific targeted group, get the players open space for goals to pile up, achievements to chase, bragging bucket list with no end, it's a hoarder collector type of game, people play it because there's always something undone, get more of the things which work and keep players to do things.

The pile of skins the game gets is "OK", but it's missing actual content, we get microtransactions - NOT CONTENT, THE PROBLEM IS .. WE ARE CONTENT STARVED, let the player have something to do, kill 500 goblins - learn how to make new item... or something... anything... both farmable as drop and learned only by doing things, both are very good mechanics, add the endless Chinese typical mechanics where you do get something after a while, but it involves silly high amount of work for it, shouldn't be the focus.. but try it... let players to things... 

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

What  will happen with those who bought the skin already for visibility and since another solution will be provided and it becomes a 10s thrown out the window? Refunds?

nah.. just improve/replace the skin a bit in some way.. could be any kind of wood/metal decorative elements added or improved to the wagon, adding lantern or w/e.. 

alternatively just add new items and slap them a fancy tag, etc

32a8211cff3d501141ded1c153aac65d.jpg

adb3caeefddab2d1501ac09c2d1e1cda.jpg

9e80ae13686893dd2677520a97586d64.jpg

241d65ed1b42f94f0552d041860eb162.jpg

You didn't find anything you like? google on your own...

3 hours ago, Jaz said:

They gonna pull the rug.

On 11/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, Army said:

Thanks for acknowledging it. I'm disappointed to hear that the skin will stay in the shop, because that likely means there will never be an option to toggle the wagon between covered and uncovered versions as a normal mechanic in the game. This should never have been in the shop at all. If you guys genuinely want to improve the game, the best solution would be to take the skin out of the shop and offer a refund to those who purchased it, and add it as an option in the game as it should have been in the first place. This fixation on skins is ruining the game.

• Like 7

On 11/24/2023 at 10:18 PM, kaidley said:

Money, money, and milk som more, Skins are the death knocking on this door. 

I felt this for a long time now, and buying the skins with extra silver coins instead of "marks" isn't exactly cheap either (if available at all), and it does support the notion that it splits the community into groups of financially strong and/or spending-happy people who want to have the coolest and newest skins. It's ever-growing into a downward spiral, spoiling the experience under the cover of "it's just cosmetic", when in reality the time spent on beating another 5 to 15 silver coins out of people for each individual one-time use skin could've been invested far better. Or craftable skins, for the money we already spend on prem, silver, and deeds. With resource nodes, the game will become even more generic, because it's so much better to get a random item from a node instead of a random item from a type of tile, but I have a theory.

Although I did renew my premium during the sale, it might be time to consider packing up, and to say goodbye to something that is transforming from a game into a cash shop for overprized cosmetics.

/edit:

Also quite misleading in the shop that really irks me when advertising premium:

Deeds: Stake a claim and establish your own homesteads and settlements.

Horses: Only premium players can ride horses which significantly improves mobility.

Trading: Some in-game trading options are only available to premium members.

Yea, right.

Edited by Ulviirala

Am I the only one who doesn't mind paying for a cool unique skin with a purpose?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Atndy said:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind paying for a cool unique skin with a purpose?

It is because of people like you that game devs think it’s ok to do this kind of thing.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I have always been against skins in this game. I have not purchased or used one (even the free ones). I was attracted to this game in the first place by the idea that everything in the game was player created. Both skins and other non craftable cosmetic items have mostly ruined a lot of the magic that this game had. I could only imagine what this game would have become if, early on, the devs decided to create all the new items (cosmetic, skins, decorations) as craftable items or features in the game. They could have used them to expand the progression of the player (I.e. you can make better looking versions with higher skill or require ultra rare resources only obtained by highly skilled gatherers etc).

What we have now is a game where you can buy your way to good looking items and QoL improvements.

Despite my bleak outlook, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this game. I would love to keep playing and streaming this game, but with the direction this is heading, I’d rather not, thank you.

• Like 3

@McGarnicleI really miss your Wurm streams.  I still watch your weekly streams even if not Wurm, and always look forward to the moments when you discuss Wurm. :) 

I wish you would return to streaming Wurm.  At the moment I think Wurmians need somewhere they can come and pour out their Wurm concerns and feel that they are being listened to.  I always felt your streams were excellent for that.  With Devs like Budda dropping in, and giving us insights and tips and taking away our feedback, it's a lot more interactive, organic and personal than the forums. So yes please, more Wurm streams, even if it's just to have a moan! ;) 

I too wish that the artistic creativity of the skin graphics could have been backed up by more creative coding behind them.  I feel a bit like we've been cheated out of the creation process as well as the chance of some progression.

However something has happened over Black Friday that opened my eyes a bit.  A player recently out of hospital and still in a lot of discomfort, told me he wasn't able to focus for more than a few minutes, and so was barely able to log into the game for half an hour every couple of weeks or so. The skins brought him a lot of pleasure because he was able to purchase items he had missed out on years ago, and he didn't have to struggle through an extended crafting session, and could just decorate his existing items.  He was not in any position to try to gain an advantage over anyone, just to grab a few moments pleasure before logging out again for a fortnight.  I am not saying I changed my opinion on the need for more crafted items and progression in Wurm, but I now better understand how others' needs may differ.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 3

market for everybody…

5fe84a83ea508d847f6440b827e562d3.jpg

and yea.. we do need extension to endgame, stuff to grind for months/year(s) and progress in some way, get perks from the grinds to make them worth the spent time and give back that sense for accomplishment..

also.. could just play in the mud.. but that's the ignorance is bless kind of situation, eventually you want some challenge, something to look forward to.. obtain/achieve..

d401715afdf6dc15fa5e5cca7da72941_w200.gi