Samool

Development Update - Resource nodes, actions and more

1 hour ago, Samool said:

Action changes

The work on this has been going on for a long time now, and while the bulk of it is about making it easier and less bug prone for us to alter anything action-related and add new features, there are some gameplay things this work will immediately affect:

• Default action key functionality should now be possible to re-bind based on context, rather than be limited to the static target/action set it uses now
  • New quickbar will replace the current quickbar, select bar and the toolbelt slots, creating a more streamlined way of interacting with the game world - with dedicated slots to insert tools and actions into, the quickbar is split into a tabbed top part and a common bottom area, all of which you should be able to arrange the way that suits your playstyle best
  • Toolbelt will now act as a container that keeps items inside of it active at all times, allowing you to do more things without fumbling around with activating different items all the time - various systems in place will try to pick the item suited best to the action you’re trying to perform, but manually activated items will still be prioritized
  • A visible action queue will be added to the UI, with the ability to change order of the queued actions and cancel any of them, rather than just the latest one
  • When actions can’t be performed, rather than being hidden from display, they will now explain what is needed to be able to select that option in the context menu, such as suggesting the required tools.

These changes require a rewrite of most action code in the game. Converting actions to this new system also gives us a chance to go back over everything, fixing long standing issues and making things run smoother - for example making flatten and level do what they say they will do. An added bonus of this conversion will mean that all actions will be bindable without them having to be approved manually by the dev team.

queue.gifblocked_action.png

quickbar.png

Here's the original concept for the quickbar to further explain how it will work:

Hide contents

quickbar_draft.png

The action changes are not yet ready for public testing, but it will be on the test server for everyone to try out well prior to release.

Will the automatic tool selection apply to imping as well?  Big items like ships and wagons always require reading the event tab and manually selecting the tool to imp, despite it being in the toolbelt.  If others are on deed doing stuff which clutter the events tab, this becomes very difficult. 

• Like 7

Looks like a solid update, especially the graphics and a focus on keeping/improving performance along the way. I would suggest lowering the limit on bundled arrows. 41 in a bundle is a lot even just improving, not counting enchanting. I think something like 1 per 10 levels of fletching is more reasonable. 10 arrows in a bundle at 90 fletching sounds much more reasonable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samool said:

the bracelet of inspiratio

When can we expect this bracelet in the cash store?

• Like 1

Thank you for the update.  These are such exciting announcements, have to say, looking forward to it!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rockmodd said:

Looks like a solid update, especially the graphics and a focus on keeping/improving performance along the way. I would suggest lowering the limit on bundled arrows. 41 in a bundle is a lot even just improving, not counting enchanting. I think something like 1 per 10 levels of fletching is more reasonable. 10 arrows in a bundle at 90 fletching sounds much more reasonable.

I thought the point was that you would only have to improve the bundle, not each arrow separately? Or am I misunderstanding

2 minutes ago, Akuzic said:

I thought the point was that you would only have to improve the bundle, not each arrow separately? Or am I misunderstanding

I think you are understanding correctly. I just think imping 41 arrows at a time is a bit much, throw in casting 41 arrows at a time is extremely OP on pvp servers.  Love the idea of bundling to improve arrows imping speeds but a quiver full at a time is a lot.

• Like 3

This update ranks as one of the best I have seen in years.  It is packed with solid information backed by screenshots and intimate details, and is not embellished with non-sense just to fill up a post.  The features being prepped are genuinely thoughtful additions that will make the game more interesting and fun.  I have heard for years how non-Wurmians and Wurmians alike criticize Wurm's graphics.  I think those days should be over.  Wurm looks absolutely fantastic now compared to how it was when I started 14 years ago.  All-in-all, this is a huge win for Wurm Online, that such progress has been made under such a cloud as has been hovering over the game of late.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 7

Thank you for such a detailed post about what is coming soon and being worked on, with images too 😀   I love it. 

The graphics update looks really good. That will really help with more immersion.

The resources node idea is good and reminds me of some other games. I liked seeing the cactus 🌵 in the desert. The resources being in different locations and also different times of the year will actually make people have to go out and explore the lands more.

You could say that the resource nodes are like a add on to the exploration update, in a way.

The only thing that I thought though was: Could the nodes become like clutter if there was to be alot spawned for instance?  Would that cause slow down? 🐌 

I'm guessing it would be like the trees when they have fruit and I don't think they slow things down but who knows how it would work....

The nodes will make the surroundings feel more full or alive in a way though, I feel. 

So yeah, I'm really liking all of the stuff you've said.  Excited 😊 👍

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rockmodd said:

I think you are understanding correctly. I just think imping 41 arrows at a time is a bit much, throw in casting 41 arrows at a time is extremely OP on pvp servers.  Love the idea of bundling to improve arrows imping speeds but a quiver full at a time is a lot.

Isn't 41 coming from the limit of the quiver which I believe is 41?

What happens to the toolbelt? Will it get a new use since this looks like its gonna kill it off.

14 minutes ago, Votip said:

Isn't 41 coming from the limit of the quiver which I believe is 41?

Yep, I believe that is where the number was chosen from...still a lot at once.  I know they said it scales with your fletching skill but I think a bundle should be 10 at 90 fletching not 41. Just my opinion though.

Everything here sounds really great.  I just have one comment/suggestion.  With the resource nodes, please make them expire after a certain amount of time, or have them replaced after a certain amount of time with a new node.  Otherwise I'm afraid that we'll have vast fields of similar nodes that nobody really cares about.

• Like 6

Nice work,

Just a suggestion give a x2 or x3 rift points awarded on shield bash’s. Due to timers and low damage outpost this would not break points system, but will give tankers a little more to make it viable to be a tanker at a rift to gain enough rift points.

• Like 1

Hmm arrow bundles sound awesome, and been asked for ages. Hopefully you add ballista darts to it.

Flora changes or resource nodes sound awesome long as they look good.

Unsure about the action changes. Can be great if implemented well.

Goblin camps? Granted I can take it or leave it.

See how it goes overall, especially how long before this road map gets thrown out too.

Edited by Karrde

I love the idea of the forage/botanizing nodes.  Will make it much easier when searching for items.  How will this effect skill gain though for those that aren't already masters at the skills?

Will we still be able to forage/botanize on non special tiles for skill grinding?

Kodos - SFI

Graymist - NFI

• Like 1

WOW really excited for this update, nodes make the world look so much livelier (love the cactus in the desert!)

• Like 2

I like what you are doing , But let me add what you should add to your plate. I loved Wurm the first day I played. There are some issues that just for the life of me I can't understand why the Dev team has not got a focus on,

Issue 1. Multi story 14 floors and even tho you have allowed for different material for walls the wall designs are to little. There needs to be minimal 5 types of Doors an Windows for each wall type Stone, Wood, Stucco. Minimal 5 Fences each from Wood, Poles, Metal, Stone, Stone with Bars, Just plain Bars.

I've heard about Wooden docks that needs to be expanded to being able to add actual balconies you can walk on attached to the side of buildings.

Another Issue I recently just noticed that has bothered me is distant rendering of Objects. I was standing on my friends dock which is across the water from my dock and I can see the roads trees on my deed but can't see the building's and other stuff. It is like having a cheat where I can see threw the walls. 

Need to allow for players to have a choice of how far objects can appear. I understand some people have lower end pc's but you need to understand a portion of the gaming world spend a lot of money on there pc's for entertainment. You need to tailor options in that allow us to use our pc's.

If I'm 70 tiles away and want to see them buildings and walls I should have a option to allow objects that far to appear on my screen. A slider in the graphics option to allow for object distance is a must. I know there is distant rendering in the options but in my opinion it is set for lower end pc's I need a slider to increase that distant even further .

Ok going to go there store items now let me rant. I'm not paying 8's for a chair skin. That's 8 to 9 us dollars for a skin you better give me a set for that price. It's a virtual object has no real value to me or anyone. That better come as a set of least 4 to 6 chair skins.

11 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

Ok going to go there store items now let me rant. I'm not paying 8's for a chair skin. That's 8 to 9 us dollars for a skin you better give me a set for that price. It's a virtual object has no real value to me or anyone. That better come as a set of least 4 to 6 chair skins.

I have a sneaking suspicion the people who are pushing internally for the changes in this post are not the people pushing for an overpriced chair skin

Great stuff!

Im really looking forward to the goblin camps.

Wow, I'm cautiously impressed by all of this. Some really great changes outlined in this!

Look forward to seeing this brought live in the future. 

• Like 2

Any future plans for curved walls? Quarter circle, half circle, arc with a degree value, etc.?

• Like 4

Is rarity rolling going to get changed so we can make full use of our action queue without sacrificing our rarity creation chances? I don't like action staggering.

Rarity roll should be based on when the action is done (not sure it matters if the roll is when the action starts or finishes), not when it is queued.

• Like 3

Very welcome news.

I do like the resource node work.  Makes it more logical and less wogical.

As to not dropping other works in progress - docks, when?

Edit:  Also, given how long "the end of next week" has turned out to be, I hope "upcoming months" is some shortish span of time.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Good news! I hope it will be implemented and not forgotten (like other plans in the past). Action changes could persuade few friends to try Wurm again.

Wish i could keep my toolbelt ui like it is and i am not sure yet if the interactive action system is making things rather

more complicated than easier, but other than that things looks good.

Making Wurm more beautiful is always a worthy endeavour.