Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Revert archery and BC 60% nerf.

Revert   

264 members have voted

1. 1. Revert the 60% archery/BC gain nerf!

Puh leez. Hell horses? Also if you put a mirrored acc against each other and one has higher BC it'll win

because player skill means nothing. topjok

it seems a little unreasonable to me O.o, yes archery was a LITTLE better than other skills to gain body control, but the amount it gained more is not justifying a 60% decrease of bc gain O.o it was maybe like 5-10% more than other skills and it was still really slow....and considering how important body control is for learning to ride, i don't think it is appropriate to make it even harder for people to gain necessary skill o.o btw....my carpentry is around 60, my archery around 30, and fighting is around 70 and still my body control is measily 25 or so.....

Tried a 90 control vs 20 control (only difference) spar on test and the 20 body control won the 2 first fights and then I rage quit my testing.

I wasn't going to post again but here goes

[15:53:58] Your armour disturbs you.

Yes that's right, my toon who has NEVER priested is now being penalized for wearing armor because the coders can't tell the difference between a priest and non priest toon. FYI it stops shooting attempt. Also the bow shooting animation is now backwards, which....is very appropriate. I really am impressed.

• Like 2

+1

I am not aware of any exploits that archery may have been used for but if this is just an out-of-the-blue nerf then I would like to know why it is so extreme (60%).

For those of you looking to skill up BC, I dug up this old thread on skill grinding tips a while back - http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/59514-skill-grinding-tips-updated/

Tip for body control:
Gonna put this out there so anybody can easily get 40+ body control.

Items needed:
Carving knife (preferably enchanted)
200 hunting arrows (they seem to be a tad better then war arrows)
Bulk storage bin
Forge
Empty inventory (Put your non-drops in a backpack or something)

Method:
Put arrows into the bulk storage bin and withdraw them out, click the little 'i' up the top of the inventory box so all the carving knife imps are up the top, start improving them. While your character starts improving those, highlight all the other arrows by using shift drag and put them back into the bulk storage bin. Then withdraw more. Repeat this until you have a whole inventory of arrows that need a carving knife to improve. Once the arrows in the bulk storage bin get to around 30ql, put them into 2 backpacks and put them in a forge. Light the forge (you won't need to fuel it, the kindling keeps the forge lit for long enough). The arrows will start to lose their ql, make sure to watch closely as it is easy to let the arrows burn to nothing. Once they're around 5ql, withdraw them out and repeat the process of improving. This will gain you very good body control and mind logic, while also raising your fletching and carving knife skills.

I found this method to be quite effective.

I wasn't going to post again but here goes

[15:53:58] Your armour disturbs you.

Yes that's right, my toon who has NEVER priested is now being penalized for wearing armor because the coders can't tell the difference between a priest and non priest toon. FYI it stops shooting attempt. Also the bow shooting animation is now backwards, which....is very appropriate. I really am impressed.

Nah its rolf "balancing" armor.

His secret addition to the test server that when people found noone wanted it, but he pushed it live because despite asking for feedback on various things, it really seems like none of it was read and the test server thing was more of a "oh you get a 2 day warning before I change everything"

In my opinion, this update was rough across the board.

The archery while armored and the skill gain seem to be the ones ruffling the largest amount of feathers with the player base. And I think that portion should be reverted.

Im playing on freedom so i shouldnt get involved so much in pvp business, but i dont like this nerf.

I skilled to 50 archery in the past, never really know about it gave body control skillgain.

Is much faster for me to melee kill stuff, so Bow is just something annoying.

And there is so few monsters to skill bow on to kill.

I doubt i any time soon will pick up a bow again, but the skillgain nerf is not fair.

Its a bit unfair that people years ago abused a system where they could shot and kill their alt chars and get 90archery skill.

And the guys who gets punished for this is the new players that join wurm, and cannot cheat anymore and gets a nerfed skillgain from playing the game fair.

U guys should make it easier fo new players to catch up, not harder.

• Like 1

Revert it. This was not a broken mechanic at all and was the most common way for people to get their BC for animals. By nerfing it as you guys have done without any feedback or gripes from the player majority in the first place has only created another complete window of opportunity for all accounts that used a bow pre-this unneeded, warranted, wanted, whatever patch. The BC gains from archery in the first place weren't "overly" amazing that it seemed ridiculous. The skilling up of the archery skill wasn't considered ridiculous either as it was going up just as fast as my fighting skill when I trained it. 

Stop making things slower; separating your player base by windows of opportunities only causes trouble down  the line example: Meditation enlightenment pre-nerf that you never fully cleaned up in the first place. 

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 3

and it like 2 am saturday morning in motala.

happy dreams :)

happy weekend

+1

Edited by Griffith

Huge +1

Instead of creating window of oppurtunities by removing creative ways people are grinding skill fix the reason people go looking for it in the first place; consider that pre fighting fix where the skill was gained for the duration of the fight (thus you could pen up a few crocodiles and fight constantly gaining exact same skill every hour) pretty much everyone except 1 person who got permabanned skilled legitimately - it's only since all of the various cooldowns (shieldbash a really good example) and other limitations have been added to the skillgain code in an attempt to get people to accept skill-per-kill that people have thought "screw that" and attempted to find creative alternatives.

All of these WoO's and creative methods of gaining skill could have been avoided if it wasn't such a frustration to hunt; the main issue being spending >80% of the time wandering around looking for animals; as an example back when we had the bug where animal AI was messed up and all animals attempted to head NE and as a result getting stuck on edges of lakes and whatnot _EVERYONE_ was out hunting as there were a few spots on the server where you could be in combat for hours at a time. If hunting was always like this; there would be no reason for anyone to kill alts for fs; and if animals didn't run off the second you shot them with archery noone would bother with that either.

Instead of 'punishing' people who get fed up with the PvE mechanics and try to find other ways to optimise skillgain create more incentives for people to do it the proper way. To make a crappy analogy you can look at the war on piracy; it constantly tries to punish those who pirate games and films instead of creating a better service - just make hunting fun and more reliable/consistent and the problem goes away.

Sorry for getting slightly OT.

• Like 2

Pssssst, this is probably one of the first changes which EVERYONE agrees on was stupid, take them earplugs out and listen devs.

Also, when Gavin just mentioned about that time when all the animals headed NE, it kind of made me wonder if we should have a 'hunting season', where mobs flock to certain areas/ biomes and people learn to find those areas and clean them :)

I.e In summer, Mountain lions will be found down by water cooling off.

etc etc

• Like 1

and I was going to start training Archery next month so I could grind BC so I could ride a dragon as soon as that new feature went live... guess Rolf fixed that for me. Talk about "taking the wind outta my sails".

+1 to revert this change.

Edited by geode

I think Rolf should have an employee in charge of creating windows of opportunity. These should open for a while, then close. I think we'd all love this metagame.

• Like 2

+1 please oh god revert this change, it sucks things I can't mention here on this forum.

One of the main reasons many new players quit wurm in their first few hours is when they die to mobs and can't outrun them. (Seeing from a pure epic perspective)

Most new ppl stick to wurm when they have a horse and reach 21 body control, since this is now much harder now we will even have a harder time raising our playerbase now, most terrible change ever.

• Like 4

One of the main reasons many new players quit wurm in their first few hours is when they die to mobs and can't outrun them. (Seeing from a pure epic perspective)

Most new ppl stick to wurm when they have a horse and reach 21 body control, since this is now much harder now we will even have a harder time raising our playerbase now, most terrible change ever.

This reason is gold.

Seriously Devs what the heck where you thinking?

+1

Pointless nerf. Archery is only barely better BC gain than other options, including carpentry, smithing and just basic fighting. 60% nerf is overkill on a thing that's only barely advantageous. What's the problem with priests being able to ride hellhorses? More flexibility in PVP should be encouraged, not penalised. It's like you guys really want this to be a PVP game, but every time there's a change made to PVP something else must be reduced. 

Additionally, maybe switch patch day to Monday/Tuesday so you've got time to review the changes impact on the live servers, and then react/adjust on a continuing basis rather than the apparent "patch late Thursday, LOL suckers - long weekend for us!" approach we seem to have currently.

Voted no, it should not be reverted as the gains were too high and should have been dealt with years ago.

63% nerf is a bit extreme though, since it affects all archery related gains, it should be reduced but not reverted.