Sign in to follow this  
archer

Changes with Xanadu (fresh start)

Now I have heard it all!! lol!  Why?  because it will mean more players and more money into the game and more silvers bought that go into the game that's why.  If you can't skill something up quickly now with how easy the game has become....Maybe you should not go into uncharted waters then.

I see, so that's the current reward for people have payed for this game for years, just forget about all you did and pay me some more to be in the lower tier again.

Well i will probably not say shut up and take my money this time, but your millage may vary.

Now I have heard it all!! lol!  Why?  because it will mean more players and more money into the game and more silvers bought that go into the game that's why.  If you can't skill something up quickly now with how easy the game has become....Maybe you should not go into uncharted waters then.

Problem is it will mean less players, not more. At 64x64 the server will be huge, player density will be far too low if everybody has to start over and then it will just be a glorified single player game for many. That lack of interaction is very dangerous. Rolf needs to incentify as many existing characters as possible to move to the new server in order to get the player density up. This thing is 16 times bigger then Independence and several times more bigger than that when compared to Pristine. You don't seriously believe that leaving it disconnected from the other servers is not going to make it a ghost server player density wise, do you?

I get how some people would love a fresh start, but a 64x64 server isn't the place for it. Another Pristine sized server would work way way better for that.

Edited by Ecrir

With there still alot of details yet to be disclosed

Leave it alone

There must be something big instored

And drop the vets vs new people crap

Still can't bleave people with lack of understanding

Still compare eve onlines vet - new player

-1 This topic serves no purpose other than to rile people up and cause a heated debate

Edited by Crack
  • Like 6

Didn't bother reading the OP, the title of the thread was enough for me to say: NOPE.

You want a fesh start? Register a new account. The rest of us who have been at it for years didn't do so for no reason at all.

• Like 3

This game is based on our skills, Why would I ever consent to losing all my work, Or even my gear, Just to move to another server?  I don't care what they do to traders as long as they serve a better purpose than they have now.  If it comes to me being forced to move without my skills, Then I'm done.  The only logical solution to this is to make it possible to sail there from both server clusters.  I also welcome anyone from anywhere to bring all the money and gear with them that they want.  Because no matter how rich they are. I still have to spend my time on the job to get my skills high.  And I'm not about to begrudge them their hard work, Just so i can feel important too.

• Like 2

Not raising an opinion on accounts either way (just gets heads bitten off, and I highly doubt the devs will really care about my opinion anyway. You may correctly read this as players are bullying people into silence with harassment over this issue now. Not a great way to decide game mechanics I feel). More realistically I've never seen either side of the debate be objective. Old players want access, newer/ish players want them to be kept out. Everyone just wants what they think is best for them *shrugs*.

Not a bad idea for a chance to work away from traders into a new system (Although I haven't seen a solid sounding suggestion with regards to a replacement economic model) without pissing too many people off. Someone will always rage though.

Edited by Sevenless

You have to choices basically.  You can let everyone go there with all there coins, characters, goodies, etc. Or make everyone start from scratch no help from the outside.  I think it should be nothing from the outside and make the players start completely from scratch as well as have to buy coin from the shop.  This will actually give funds directly to Rolf and the game to pay for this New Server.  The other way what will happen is many players who have gathered of coin over time or just recently as we have seen will flood the new server with massive deeds and perimeters effectively making it more of the same as in the past when making new servers.  Also do not even allow Traders that will stop the cash grab from new players, coin spent on new deeds, etc.. Get rid of the Dragon bit as well or change it completely to get away from the cash cow grab that happens there as well.

Duplicate my character and my non-structural items (all except writs, fences, landscape), refund my deed forms (as in I have one on each character there to replace the wiped ones here) with the same for merchant and trader contracts, and refund nearly a full year of upkeep paid into two deeds here at a very minimum and ok. I can do without my animals but there are many heavily invested in breeding programs. They should keep those too. But if you wipe Release and take 1 year and about $150 invested with it, then its time to find a new game. That is my line in the sand and I will not budge on this one.

If you are going to close the other PvE servers, it had better be after a server merge. Anything less, that will kill it for me and I am sure I am not the only one. What I would suggest is to carbon copy the other PvE maps, wipe the map on Xanadu, and place the copied islands intact onto the new map inside the same ocean on the same server. No more sailing between servers. People get their linked economies. People don't get wiped. And you get a single server to deal with. To make the deal even sweeter, make it so you can sail to each PvP map.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

I don't toss $20 bills into the fireplace for fun. I am not going to toss them into Wurm for fun when they get wiped after a year. Now, if you want to give me 150ish silvers to move, you are more than welcome to reinvest my portion back into the game. 

• Like 1

This game is based on our skills, Why would I ever consent to losing all my work, Or even my gear, Just to move to another server? I don't care what they do to traders as long as they serve a better purpose than they have now. If it comes to me being forced to move without my skills, Then I'm done. The only logical solution to this is to make it possible to sail there from both server clusters. I also welcome anyone from anywhere to bring all the money and gear with them that they want. Because no matter how rich they are. I still have to spend my time on the job to get my skills high. And I'm not about to begrudge them their hard work, Just so i can feel important too.

Thank you - that was refreshing to read :)

-1 stop crying about fresh start and try to catch up.

To catch up on my server, I would have to level up two more alts besides my main for a few months. The cost of paying premium for three toons far outweighs the profit I'd make even if I did so. A lot of people are complaining about mailboxes, my ONLY source of income, and asking for a restart on Xanadu. While I'd like to take my old toon to Xanadu, I know others will just take all ten of their alts there, and plant traders by the starting token. So in a way, I wouldn't mind if this server required a fresh start. Why should people who have already dominated the economies on their respective servers get a chance to do it on Xanadu? I haven't played Wurm as long as a lot of you, but I've played long enough to know what will happen. Huge amounts of land around the starting token will get fenced in, in an attempt to catch a dragon spawn. All the dragons and uniques on the server will be hunted to extinction within a week. Traders will be planted by the starting token. The market on enchanted weapons and armor will be immediately monopolized by altaholics mailing their goods to the server. So yeah, if I'm going to continue to be isolated for playing a priest on my main, and not throwing obscene amounts of money at Rolf to get around the limitations, then screw all the established players wanting to get their greedy little fingers on Xanadu. +1 for the fresh start. I'd have way more incentive to make a new toon there than I would to bring my old one and be marginalized again.

Fresh start should be from small servers which appear each year and connect after a year or two.

I know that trader deeds will be really bad for server but those player can transfer coins there too, so same situation...

P&R haven't been connected yet, why new fresh server ?

Deli, exo, cele wasn't fresh at all, those were connected to freedom cluster. Anyway you can play and get some coins from market if you have skill or time.

I hope they wont put dragons until they have ability to fly, maybe trader range would be bigger or no range at all, so they will be useless since all will share same coin pool.

It would be amazingly more fun if there was no global & server chat on this server, only alliance, village, and local. It would bring back the 'regional' feel to wurm.

• Like 2

It would be amazingly more fun if there was no global & server chat on this server, only alliance, village, and local. It would bring back the 'regional' feel to wurm.

That would be a better idea for a small server than for a large one as players could end up quite spread out depending on the amount of players on the server. A lack of global & server chat would remove a lot of interaction for those players and increase the chance that they will stop playing

So you want no old money or skills on a new server ... so in essence we can have what Release and Pristine had which is 4 -10 different markets and 5 or so top crafters in the first week doing most the business with thier skills they gained by having too much time on thier hands.

If you think keeping old money and players from the new server will make a big difference your living a pipe dream at best, and old players are far less likely to open thier wallets and shower Rolf with money to buy back what they already have now.

• Like 1

To catch up on my server, I would have to level up two more alts besides my main for a few months. The cost of paying premium for three toons far outweighs the profit I'd make even if I did so. A lot of people are complaining about mailboxes, my ONLY source of income, and asking for a restart on Xanadu. While I'd like to take my old toon to Xanadu, I know others will just take all ten of their alts there, and plant traders by the starting token. So in a way, I wouldn't mind if this server required a fresh start. Why should people who have already dominated the economies on their respective servers get a chance to do it on Xanadu? I haven't played Wurm as long as a lot of you, but I've played long enough to know what will happen. Huge amounts of land around the starting token will get fenced in, in an attempt to catch a dragon spawn. All the dragons and uniques on the server will be hunted to extinction within a week. Traders will be planted by the starting token. The market on enchanted weapons and armor will be immediately monopolized by altaholics mailing their goods to the server. So yeah, if I'm going to continue to be isolated for playing a priest on my main, and not throwing obscene amounts of money at Rolf to get around the limitations, then screw all the established players wanting to get their greedy little fingers on Xanadu. +1 for the fresh start. I'd have way more incentive to make a new toon there than I would to bring my old one and be marginalized again.

So, when said people make new characters, use there knowledge to BLOW you away in the leveling process, and your left where you are right now...

What will be your argument? Want proof? P&R.

I've only played for a year, and in now past the general players ability, and for the most part, vets. Granted, half of it was buying, half of it was skilling, but to say you can't catch up or pass... Well, if you don't have time to sink into wurm like others are able to, don't expect to be where they are.

The people that really want to make money off the market, are going to, and the people saying they can't because of X reason, are the people that don't feel like doing the work to earn it from my point of view.

*please note, I just took your quote for the general people thinking along these lines - it's not directed at you*

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

To catch up on my server, I would have to level up two more alts besides my main for a few months. 

Why? 

Why? 

If you read the OP carefully, near the start it says "The cost of paying premium for three toons far outweighs the profit I'd make even if I did so.", the op would need 2 more alts to enter the market of enchanted tools and weapons, and the profit from it wouldnt be enough to pay for the 3 characters.

Basically, the OP complains that he/she cant be top-tier crafter/merchant without putting effort or money into the game.

The complain is about getting no profit without investment.

If I was a forum admin. I would move this to woodscraps or even lock it.

• Like 1

So, when said people make new characters, use there knowledge to BLOW you away in the leveling process, and your left where you are right now...

What will be your argument? Want proof? P&R.

I've only played for a year, and in now past the general players ability, and for the most part, vets. Granted, half of it was buying, half of it was skilling, but to say you can't catch up or pass... Well, if you don't have time to sink into wurm like others are able to, don't expect to be where they are.

The people that really want to make money off the market, are going to, and the people saying they can't because of X reason, are the people that don't feel like doing the work to earn it from my point of view.

*please note, I just took your quote for the general people thinking along these lines - it's not directed at you*

It's not just about knowledge and ability, a lot of it comes down to time and money. You can only pray or gain meditation so many times a day, so that's two examples of time meaning more right there. Also, some players have to work a lot, and have limited playing time, whereas other players can play 15 hours a day. I have plenty of time to play of course, but I'm just pointing it out for others. It isn't that they're less able players, they just have less time. 

Another issue is money, people who make multiple alts have dominated the enchanted weapons business. It isn't that they've put more time into the game, a lot of them play less than me even when I'm working, and it isn't skill either because faith is easy to grind up. It's that they've put a lot of MONEY into the game. So now instead of priests paying or trading enchantments to players in exchange for services, or even linking with other priests, they just make three characters, and premium them all, a main to build/craft, a priest to enchant, and another priest for a battery. Some of these players will even buy up to seven alts. 

What is my issue with this, you might ask? Well, for one it breaks immersion when I'm the only priest on the server who can't do certain things, because I'm the only one who decided to solely play a priest on my main. Another thing is, none of the other priests need or want another priest for linking because they've already got two priest accounts premiumed so they can link with themselves. Then as I mentioned before, since they have mains they can easily get around the limitations of being a priest, so the immense amount of money they put into the game goes straight into paying for their premium accounts instead of the in-game economy. 

I'm not naive enough to think that the devs would ever restrict what we can do with alts, or even forbid them. The outcry would be enough pressure for them to revert it if they tried, I'm sure, since we're talking about basically every priest in Wurm except me, and a couple of others, across all the servers. I could afford to buy two more premium accounts if I really wanted, but why should I? These people are spending way more than they actually make in-game just to keep premium on their accounts, and in the process isolating themselves from the rest of the community, and stifling the in-game economy. 

In my ideal Wurm, priests would be more balanced so that 9/10 priests aren't Vynora, and they would deal with the restrictions by paying other players to do what they need instead of just doing it with another account. It's cheaper to do things this way, and another player gets to actually use the money again, instead of it going straight into Rolf's wallet. This would give newer players plenty of potential jobs to keep them interested in the game, hopefully increasing the player population over time. Not only that, this is how I've made a lot of great friends in Wurm, whereas the altaholics seem to be mostly isolated. 

These are just my opinions though. If people want to spend 24 euro a month instead of 8 just to make few silver, that's their business. I can't stop them, and Rolf isn't going to because it profits him, even though it probably isn't what he originally envisioned when he put all these limitations on priests. Or maybe he's just a genius like that. Who knows? I'm personally mixed about Xanadu, I'd like to go there and check it out, but I'm thinking it won't be much different than Celebration after about a month if we're allowed to.

It's not just about knowledge and ability, a lot of it comes down to time and money. You can only pray or gain meditation so many times a day, so that's two examples of time meaning more right there. Also, some players have to work a lot, and have limited playing time, whereas other players can play 15 hours a day. I have plenty of time to play of course, but I'm just pointing it out for others. It isn't that they're less able players, they just have less time. 

Another issue is money, people who make multiple alts have dominated the enchanted weapons business. It isn't that they've put more time into the game, a lot of them play less than me even when I'm working, and it isn't skill either because faith is easy to grind up. It's that they've put a lot of MONEY into the game. So now instead of priests paying or trading enchantments to players in exchange for services, or even linking with other priests, they just make three characters, and premium them all, a main to build/craft, a priest to enchant, and another priest for a battery. Some of these players will even buy up to seven alts. 

What is my issue with this, you might ask? Well, for one it breaks immersion when I'm the only priest on the server who can't do certain things, because I'm the only one who decided to solely play a priest on my main. Another thing is, none of the other priests need or want another priest for linking because they've already got two priest accounts premiumed so they can link with themselves. Then as I mentioned before, since they have mains they can easily get around the limitations of being a priest, so the immense amount of money they put into the game goes straight into paying for their premium accounts instead of the in-game economy. 

I'm not naive enough to think that the devs would ever restrict what we can do with alts, or even forbid them. The outcry would be enough pressure for them to revert it if they tried, I'm sure, since we're talking about basically every priest in Wurm except me, and a couple of others, across all the servers. I could afford to buy two more premium accounts if I really wanted, but why should I? These people are spending way more than they actually make in-game just to keep premium on their accounts, and in the process isolating themselves from the rest of the community, and stifling the in-game economy. 

In my ideal Wurm, priests would be more balanced so that 9/10 priests aren't Vynora, and they would deal with the restrictions by paying other players to do what they need instead of just doing it with another account. It's cheaper to do things this way, and another player gets to actually use the money again, instead of it going straight into Rolf's wallet. This would give newer players plenty of potential jobs to keep them interested in the game, hopefully increasing the player population over time. Not only that, this is how I've made a lot of great friends in Wurm, whereas the altaholics seem to be mostly isolated. 

These are just my opinions though. If people want to spend 24 euro a month instead of 8 just to make few silver, that's their business. I can't stop them, and Rolf isn't going to because it profits him, even though it probably isn't what he originally envisioned when he put all these limitations on priests. Or maybe he's just a genius like that. Who knows? I'm personally mixed about Xanadu, I'd like to go there and check it out, but I'm thinking it won't be much different than Celebration after about a month if we're allowed to.

Not everyone can compete in the market.  But everyone has a chance to.

You may lack the human resources, time and knowledge to be competitive and no ammount of restrictions on the rest of the playerbase will allow you to rise above those who know what it takes to sell in the market.

PS: Seriously? you are a single Fo priest, and complain about not being compettive in the market ?

Not everyone can compete in the market.  But everyone has a chance to.

You may lack the human resources, time and knowledge to be competitive and no ammount of restrictions on the rest of the playerbase will allow you to rise above those who know what it takes to sell in the market.

PS: Seriously? you are a single Fo priest, and complain about not being compettive in the market ?

It takes no less effort to level a Vynora priest than it does a Fo priest. Wait, actually it does take less effort, as they get a bonus to skill gain. Yet they make more? Even though the market is saturated with them? Where is the logic in that? 

Edited by Jeixi