Sign in to follow this  
Lily

Has Multistory Gone Too Far?

I don't know, I might be the only one, but some of the buildings I'm seeing in the multistory pic thread are just so wrong for Wurm. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the extra floors and some people have made lovely creations. It's just the office blocks and sky scrapers that bother me.

When multistory was in development I had though that maybe 3 or 4 floors would be the max with high carpentry - not what we've got out there today! Even that high looks bad with a large floor plan. I know realism is scoffed at when bought up in discussion, but these huge buildings just break my immersion. How is this wilderness survival when people live in massive (empty) palaces?

I know it won't get changed, now it's already implemented. Just wondered if I was the only one that feels this way.

Edited by Lily
  • Like 15

I certainly understand your point of view. We did go from making squat hovels to sprawling towers overnight. No doubt it has changed the face of the land forever. Thankfully I don't live in the shadow of one of these "office blocks" or "sky scrapers" and if I did I would plant trees...lots of trees ;) I fully agree that it can break the immersion of your game play. However at the end of it....its a sandbox game with an entirely player built world. If they choose to build a "huge building" so be it.

even 10 floors seems like too many.. i liked the idea of like 3 - 5 max

Office buildings are blah but it has certainly spawned some very interesting creations by people which make up for it.

the office type building are ugly as sin, but from the multi story house pics topic, the beauty some people have created out weighs the negative type of buildings. You can only make very few types of ugly buildings, but there's more variety of creative buildings you can make.

I don't see anything ever needing to be over three floors high but anything over five is just wrong even the grandest things we have seen that I think fit into wurm has been 3-4 max. I personally will never build anything over this and most of the buildings I will build will be two.

See i think 41 is too little. You also must keep in mind that the amount of resources the buildings take is massive.

• Like 1

Useless to make 2+ floors since you can't put bsb/fsb on same tile on first and second (and more ) floors

I would say no, it hasn't gone too far, and I say that as someone who was very concerned that it might. I look forward to making a nice 6-7 floor lighthouse in the near future.

• Like 1

Before we had multistory i was thinking below tree height would be best but after seeing people's creations on the forum i haven't really seen any which don't suit wurm but i may be wrong.

actually I agree that some players made ugly houses, but on the other side I don't think we have too much storys. ATM it's mainly the old players testing with very high carpentry skill how high they can get and what they can do.

And besides that, maybe we will see castles with more than 3 storys, which would be awesome, cause alot of real castles were really really high, so I don't mind if people can use that ;) same for towers, but rolf said anyway that he is working on some things regarding the base of towers and such

• Like 1

Yes, I think it's wrong. Especially when you can plan a 15 storey tower without building any walls, just ceilings and ladders... Building maybe 3 storeys pretty easily is fine, but more than that should take both skill and huge effort imo.

How is this any different from highways, dirt pillars and low stone walls on uneven slopes?

• Like 1

Yes, I think it's wrong. Especially when you can plan a 15 storey tower without building any walls, just ceilings and ladders... Building maybe 3 storeys pretty easily is fine, but more than that should take both skill and huge effort imo.

That is a problem the whole point of it being practically unlimited is that word practically. It should be insanely time consuming and expensive to get that high, building a skeleton bypasses the whole thing about materials making such things impractical. Prior walls need to be finished and reinforced before adding another floor.

The amount of stories doesn't seem to be the issue, it's what is being done with the tools given, why place further caps on building height just because your neighbor builds a house you find unappealing.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Enki, January 14, 2013 - Improper Representation
Hidden by Enki, January 14, 2013 - Improper Representation

Yes, it has been poorly implemented.

Wurm in the old days had a good mix of graphics that created a good sense of immersion, right now there is no immersion in Wurm and it is turning more and more towards the Minecraft-way of creating with no limitations at all.

There is a good reason why almost all games have an art director. Right now Wurm is a big mess and it will only get worse.

• Like 1

Half of the ugly monstrosities you will never see. It's only because of the the multistory thread we see them. I hope that when people get the 'see what I can build' thing out of their heads, people will realize some of these building don't belong in wurm.

I'd like to see a cap of 4-5, that's enough for a lighthouse, tower, or castle/stronghold.

Or......you can just hope your neighbours have great looks building like I do.

I think wulfgar needs a hug. :P

Multistory and its limitations are totally fine with me in its current form. The only thing that slightly annoys me is the ability to build houses that defy the laws of physics. You should not be able to create houses with "empty" tiles in them.

I'm not exactly sure how you can make those (destroying walls after building?) but that should be removed as it is a real immersion breaker. If it's done by destroying walls after building maybe make it so you cannot destroy walls that are below a "built" tile?

Ugly houses are all fine, since well, some people just build ugly houses. Happens. Besides how many of you have really ugly houses around their neighbourhood that they have to watch all the time and didn't just see the (more extreme) examples in the multistory pic thread?

"Flying tiles", on the other hand, are way too much off and hurt the game imo.

Some may ask has multistory gone too far, I say to you... it has not gone far enough!

• Like 7

People just need to hire architects who can make nice looking buildings, rather than make unimaginative office blocks themselves.

• Like 2

I believe that the buildings are somewhat crazy at times. There are some tasteful ones, but here's what I'd like to see.

Adjustment of required carpentry skill:

First floor. No change. 1 point per wall or floor.

Second floor. 0 points per wall of floor

Third floor. 1 point per wall

Fourth floor. 2 points per wall

Fifth Floor. 3 points per wall

Sixth floor. 4 points per wall.

Seventh floor 5 points per wall.

Eighth floor 6 points per wall = highest possible building

So for a tall 1x1 tower eight floors tall = 5 + 0 + 4 + 8 +12 +16 + 20 + 24 = 89 carpentry.

Anyone can build a two story house the same size in floorplan as their 1 floor house. Building floor 3+ starts to get expensive in point cost, quickly.

Allowing there to be ways to join buildings together would allow people to create large, tall houses by combining several "sane" houses together.

Edited by Farmerbob

When everyone finishes adding all the restrictions why don't we just have premade floorplans approved by the largest whiners so we can have 0 imagination so as not to offend anyone, perhaps a community HoA team as well to address tall dirt walls, mines that are uneven and anything else unappealing. When did it pass that people outside of my deeded tiles have a say what I build within them?

• Like 9

Never really was a fan of the multi-story, but i must admit i have seen some really well thought out and built places. I also now like that having the buildings gives the game more of a 'city life' vs 'country farm' feel. Ima stay out in the country though with my little ground level huts.