Samool

State of Wurm (it's good)

Lots of things to get hyped about here. I hope portals work the way they do now and you land where you left, obviously left meaning via portal and not the server edge you crossed last. This way we can join family spread over many servers and easily go and help whoever needs it at the time. FINALLY I can return to my wurm home and still hang out with the fam.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kordethbludscythe said:

Many times i have been forced to travel to 10-20 different merchant camps only to find skiller items for endgame or not the item i was seeking and wasting huge amounts of time traveling that i could have spent working on my deed or doing something more interesting.

That's exactly the attitude that kills a lot of ingame social interaction. People refusing to leave deed and go out and explore. This only further encourages that behavior as why would you leave deed at all now when you can walk 10 or less tiles to the nearest mailbox on deed and open up an antisocial UI to buy whatever? Trade chat has existed and is fairly reliable in buying most commonly needed items at decent prices, but this will cut out that oh so dreaded message to another player. Not to mention this promotes a system rife with abuse potential that the devs will never realize is an issue until it's too late.

Please add bag of keeping to the silver store.  Even at 1G each, they would sell very quickly.

46 minutes ago, MrJonnyboy said:
2 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

Many times i have been forced to travel to 10-20 different merchant camps only to find skiller items for endgame or not the item i was seeking and wasting huge amounts of time traveling that i could have spent working on my deed or doing something more interesting.

That's exactly the attitude that kills a lot of ingame social interaction. People refusing to leave deed and go out and explore. This only further encourages that behavior as why would you leave deed at all now when you can walk 10 or less tiles to the nearest mailbox on deed and open up an antisocial UI to buy whatever? Trade chat has existed and is fairly reliable in buying most commonly needed items at decent prices, but this will cut out that oh so dreaded message to another player. Not to mention this promotes a system rife with abuse potential that the devs will never realize is an issue until it's too late.

i never said that i didnt leave my deed in fact you will see from my comment i did mention working on my deed OR doing something more interesting... this includes hunting traveling around to touristy other peoples works occassionally joining an event or just visiting with neighbors or people in chat. to be honest i really dont ever see you anywhere else but the deed you are associated with on Independence and when ever my toons sail by and see you online i typically shout out to you. However when it comes to interacting with others for purposes of trade sometimes it takes 3-4 days to find someone online that has what i want and has the time to either wait for me to come get it or to send it to me via mail or wagoneer. i make regular stops at several marketplaces all the time and as several merchants can attest too i have reached out by forums or in chat to attain things i want. I am a regular patron of Sandwitch Bootique on Indepence and have spent lots of silver there purchasing things i need to work with as well as special orders for various things. I even have several merchants of my own  although i hardly see anything in sales for them. 

Just dont think that everyone else sits at home and is a homebody i simply do not agree with that seeing as many people i have met traveling around the servers or waved at as our ships pass through the same local.

• Like 2

Would be nice if portals let you go to your own deed on another server. But my main thing is any chance of getting the servers to work a bit better? For a fairly large portion of my friend group going on months late night EST/PST gaming for wurm is a drag as the servers just seem to flip out and not allow  connections or the login takes 30m.

• Like 1

I am happy that someday we will be able to bring our alts/ old Mains portal to our new main home servers and cluster.   I hope this will lead to one day sailing over with our stuff we left behind.  I've ben paying 2s per month for a deed i dont play on for years now. just to hold my goods and alts while waiting for the Great Crossing.  but at least soon. I can bring over my characters with their skills and enjoy the alt army grind fests.   thank you

and the rest of the updates coming sound great.  I normally spend 40-60$ a month on steam games and get board of them, but buy new ones every month.  but for the past 5 months, i've put that money into wurm.  I even have wurm budgeted into my household monthly budget  all set for the year.    new like todays help me feel it's the right decision.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Captain said:

Auction house is interesting as this will kill your merchant contracts will we be refunded for those since this new global system will be in place?

If we are doing AH like other AAA games is the same 10% merchant tax going to be applied to all our sales?

If we list things on the AH and its purchased is it AUTO delivered and can all items or just some be listed?

New haven sounds good but do NOT make it to soft on new people.  It is even more of a shock when you pop into your first starter town and a full size troll tries to eat you.  We have those things in real wurm.
Also in New haven is there going to be boards that allow normal SFI and NFI people to recruit and how will the new server choices look.  Right now its a crap shoot what you pick and where.  For instance on Xanadu
if you pick Esteron or Whitefay or Greymead you going to find a barren wasteland where as Summerholt and Lormere and Vrock and Glasshollow ( kind of seem to have people)  will you show populations and people near each starter town to
give people a more educated choice on joining a community or even starting near one?

Just some of the many questions to be answered.

long ago a few of us talked about the AH  but in the way of using the merchant contracts, that would be where we add the items and cost.  and then the system would mail the item from them.  this would let us keep them in use

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kordethbludscythe said:

i never said that i didnt leave my deed in fact you will see from my comment i did mention working on my deed OR doing something more interesting... this includes hunting traveling around to touristy other peoples works occassionally joining an event or just visiting with neighbors or people in chat. to be honest i really dont ever see you anywhere else but the deed you are associated with on Independence and when ever my toons sail by and see you online i typically shout out to you. However when it comes to interacting with others for purposes of trade sometimes it takes 3-4 days to find someone online that has what i want and has the time to either wait for me to come get it or to send it to me via mail or wagoneer. i make regular stops at several marketplaces all the time and as several merchants can attest too i have reached out by forums or in chat to attain things i want. I am a regular patron of Sandwitch Bootique on Indepence and have spent lots of silver there purchasing things i need to work with as well as special orders for various things. I even have several merchants of my own  although i hardly see anything in sales for them. 

Just dont think that everyone else sits at home and is a homebody i simply do not agree with that seeing as many people i have met traveling around the servers or waved at as our ships pass through the same local.

I think you have me confused with someone else, I live on Pristine. I'm constantly riding around the server, meeting new people and making friends. I also regularly sail to other markets on every server except inland xanadu. I had been meaning to swing by your place next time I was on Independence. I wasn't calling you out specifically, but the introduction of such an auction house will further encourage the hermit/never leave deed mentality that this community suffers from.

18 hours ago, Samool said:

In-game auction house
Another project being developed is an in-game auction house, which will handle both auction and WTS offers. It’s meant to facilitate trade between players - you’ll be able to sell and purchase items through a new UI window, currently planned to be accessible through any mailbox in the game

As much as I love this idea, and am very reliant on it in other video games, it's not something I'd like to see in Wurm although I understand there has to be money sinks in the game to encourage people to buy silvers so I'm also expecting there to be some hefty posting/sales TAX

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SweetSerenade said:

I do like the concept of an auction house but as we have seen from previous games it is the first major step in removing in-game trade between people limiting player to player interaction in a game in which thrives based on connections made with other people.

lets be honest, what interaction?

lets take an example, i am buying high woa pickaxe. I gotta post on trade "WTB high woa pickaxe", somebody gotta respond me with the price. I am gonna accept it or not. If no, person gonna say goodbye, if yes, person gonna send me the pickaxe, me and he/her gonna say thanks and goodbye and thats all. Is that this "amazing" social interaction that people will be missing? Ive got so many items on my characters that i'd like to get rid of, but i'd be very inconvenient for me to create wts threads etc. Also sometimes I'd like to buy something specific and no one on trade is responding to my WTB, with auction house i could buy it immediately, if it was on market. AH would solve my any many people problems.

• Like 14

another thing im curious im about is whats picked. does your higher FS stat and Meditation Path transfer from NFI? or will it just be from what server u transfer from

17 hours ago, Atndy said:

I think that would more tie in the auction house with a fill order system where people put in that they need say 50k bricks and are willing to pay 1s/1k people could load crates toward the auction house or how every they would deam to do bulks. Would work perfect for newer players who make like 300 bricks could still get their money without having to slave 50k.

Quite possibly, I only say it because they have a system in Wurm Unlimited (Sklotopolis) where you do contracts, make X amount of an item and they collect it and you receive points to buy things on the store. It is a good system, one of the things I loved about that server. It also increased your skills as it was a different item all the time so 2k chains, 2k bricks etc.

It would also work for auction house also though but I'd be happy to see it implemented whatever way they choose to do it.

I will applaud if all this is done within the year. Im doubtful, but i like the plans.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Votip said:

Ive got so many items on my characters that i'd like to get rid of, but i'd be very inconvenient for me to create wts threads etc.

Just be aware that what you are saying is that as soon as Auction House is up, prices on everything will collapse completely as everybody empty their inventory exactly as you describe.

People with lower skill than you will be unable to ever sell anything.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Cista said:

Just be aware that what you are saying is that as soon as Auction House is up, prices on everything will collapse completely as everybody empty their inventory exactly as you describe.

The sky is falling narrative.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Simyaci said:

The sky is falling narrative.

What kind of stupid smug remark is that, bringing absolutely no argument to the table.

Votip himself just said that he will be looking forward to emptying his inventory into the AH, I am not the one that brought that argument. And Reverent said the same above:

"-An auction house will render most midgrade items economically unviable. This won't affect me personally, but the market value of 90 casts and 90ql tools in a liquid environment is very low. I would be one of the folks flooding the house with cheap items."

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cista said:

We seen that on SFI since the end of RMT, so doesn't really matter

• Like 1

I'm surprised at the upset over the auction house, it's been something universally requested on the forums for many years, and ultimately replaces a lot of the wurm forums WTS threads to just be ingame, having people in the game and doing that. 

Can't say I've ever got more interaction from "I'll buy x, cod to archaed" than the proposed system of buying from an auction house. 

It'll stabilise prices and give more normality to price checks, but I don't see that crashing any system

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Votip said:

12 minutes ago, Archaed said:

It'll stabilise prices

"Nothing matters and prices will be stable". That's not reality.

It's economics 1.01 that a much higher availability of items will lead to lower prices. Which is why the devs have protected the NFI market from SFI.

With regards to RMT, the end of RMT is actually one of the things that have slowed deflation. Again, economics 1.01 says more money available in game, means higher prices on items. Just look at prices of PMK.

Auction House will be good for me personally. I will happily participate in crashing prices for a quick buck, I am just explaining the fact that there will be so many complaints about how prices have crashed.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MrJonnyboy said:

pretty much why I at some point suggested player-controlled portal system in the sense of .. only a few can exist, could be blocked by local/s range, or cost if it's more valued to give any deed chance to have it and not take away functionality from some, just because other close by have it already, etc..

but again.. player groups, only or mostly core settlers on servers to have it, not external teleporters, not everybody, unless they are part of the same alliance obviously.. idea is to have people which you trust to be able to visit around, imo it ties way better to how the game and community works and there will be less drama with something where players can control outcomes to some better extent

1 minute ago, Cista said:

What kind of stupid smug remark is that, bringing absolutely no argument to the table.

It is like Reverent said above:

"-An auction house will render most midgrade items economically unviable. This won't affect me personally, but the market value of 90 casts and 90ql tools in a liquid environment is very low. I would be one of the folks flooding the house with cheap items."

Is the same level of stupid with your everything will collapse remark and doomsday is comming

In a free market you are not in charge of how much someone else want to sell something for, it's their item, their service, their time, be it cheap or rip off, just because someone threatens in here " i wanna waste my life selling cheap stuff just to prove a point" doesn't mean he's going to sustain doing it, or going to do it, or even if he do it it's not much of a big deal. It only can be a good thing if the prices actually balance out based on actual demand and supply and no based on "i spam trade chat for 24/7 with my stuff and when someone ask PC for something in trade chat i answer with my ripoff price that i wanna sell that thing for". It can only be a good thing if everyone's trading demand or supply is visible for everyone, maybe bad for a few 24/7 players that wanna monopolise or manipulate the market for their advantage.

I hope the devs make actually unbiased decision about this for the interest of the current and future players and not for few that feed the paranoia

4 minutes ago, Votip said:

Prices on SFI now are way more expensive thise day, then when we had RMT.

• Like 3

For anyone interested I made a full video breaking down the updates and giving my thoughts:

Spoiler

Overall though, pretty happy with most of the proposed changes. Will be interesting to see if the team can execute on what they've outlined!

• Like 1

If enough people keep yelling ''Doomsday is coming!'' at enough people, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

The people who would be hit hardest by an auction house are those who fish for those who don't know the average values.

I don't think everyone will flood the auction houses with thousands of cheap items immediately. It sounds cartoonish. 

Do a lot of people even have large stocks they haven't been trying to sell all this time?

Would they be selling their own items?

For what purpose? Is Wurm coming to an end? Does that even make sense when RMT is not available anymore? 

Cista could have a point here in case of a scenario in which the auction house is added to the game long before the merge happens. NFI merge panic could cause a silver rush. 

How many people would participate in that? How long would it stay relevant? Could the prices ever be able to go down as low as SFI prices? Wouldn't the prices balance out anyways once the merge happens?

I personally think the auction house will have nowhere near an impact that the merge will inevitably have. 

Rare and Scale/Drake prices might be impacted more from the auction house than the merge but nobody is pointing that out so far. 

The auction house will make everything more fair and balanced. There might be some deflation but that has been happening every month on some items even without the auction house. Rare prices in NFI dropped about %40 within the last 9 months. Does anyone believe the auction house, a system that should have been in the game from the beginning and is needed right now for convenience and fairness, can cause as much reduction? 

At worst, it will be %30. If it happens, then maybe it was supposed to happen anyways and the lack of convenience was artificially keeping it from happening. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

I'm surprised at the upset over the auction house, it's been something universally requested on the forums for many years

The public outcry at the concept of an Ah follows the requests for it everywhere it goes, always has, probably always will. 

• Like 1