Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Bugs, QA, and more skill gain!

Hello all!

So it’s been a bumpy ride since the 28th, and due to the downtime, we will be extending the skill gain and affinity bonuses until 11:59 pm server time on Friday, November 5th. The Halloween event will also be ending at the same time.

I’d also like to talk about the situation with bugs and our QA process as I understand how frustrating it is for you all to have to endure hotfixes, or often worse, the bugs they fix as well as the ones that don’t get fixed immediately.

First off, I’d like to welcome Radia to the team as a QA engineer. They join Daciana, who has graciously helped with testing in the past along with her other duties. Led by Willow, this QA team will help to prevent bugs from going out and to address the bugs that are reported by you all. Please keep reporting them on the forums as it makes it easier for us to reference back to the post.

We are also making changes internally to support our QA team and to reduce bugs. This includes a longer lead time for testing, more code-level tests, and dedicated time each month for fixing bugs that already exist. We will monitor the effectiveness of these changes and make adjustments as needed.

Thank you all for your patience.

Happy Wurming!

• Like 81

I humbly think that I will speak for at least a few players here when I say that I understand how complex a job of running an online game is. Hickups are part of the experience, but there is nothing better than knowing that the admins are aware of issues and are actively devoted to working on them. We appreciate your work and are rooting for all the developers. Keep it up! Hotfixes will happen. We smash them as we go. Meanwhile, there is a lot in Wurm to be excited about as it is!

My two cents.

• Like 25

Also Wurm is infamous for its "spaghetti code" rooting in well beyond a decade now. Flipping  a switch will likely start to play the Halloween 1-666 movies in a kindergarten instead of Lion King.

Will they be addressing the questions about what may or may not be a bug too? No one is answering the dozens of questions regarding if selective breeding is supposed to be impossible now or a bug and why gestation periods on defiance were extended or if this is also another bug

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Will they be addressing the questions about what may or may not be a bug too? No one is answering the dozens of questions regarding if selective breeding is supposed to be impossible now or a bug and why gestation periods on defiance were extended or if this is also another bug

For the timers, the old system was very inconsistent on the longer timer of pve so we changed to it have a more consistent ticking down.  When we changed the system we had to decide on a time for the servers with sped up breeding as before it was just happening on its first birth check more or less for those servers. Could you/others give us some examples of how long it would take before we can look into adjusting it to make it closer.

For the selective breeding, if people feel its still to random we can crank up the stuff that prefers existing over newly generated if need be. Would love to hear from more people on what they think about it we can still tweak stuff it is not a closed case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darklords said:

For the timers, the old system was very inconsistent on the longer timer of pve so we changed to it have a more consistent ticking down.  When we changed the system we had to decide on a time for the servers with sped up breeding as before it was just happening on its first birth check more or less for those servers. Could you/others give us some examples of how long it would take before we can look into adjusting it to make it closer.

For the selective breeding, if people feel its still to random we can crank up the stuff that prefers existing over newly generated if need be. Would love to hear from more people on what they think about it we can still tweak stuff it is not a closed case.

Previously you could get a foal between 10mins to 2ish hours for the most part, very rarely one would get stuck and take up to 9 hours. The cool down after giving birth was somewhere in 30mins - 1h so most of the herd could be run through every ~3 hours. It doesn't have to stay 10 mins that's a bit silly even though it wasn't common either. Keeping it to the average of 2 hours would be nice to have it back to normal.

as for selective breeding..

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2021 at 11:19 PM, SmeJack said:

Has taken 86 foals since this patch for tough bugger to fluke from parent to child in the speed horse, I now for the first time since the ah update 5 months ago have the horse I am trying to breed (if we ignore the fact that it is not only the wrong colour but not the colour of either parent), what we don't have is any indication if this is how it is supposed to be from now and if I can expect it to take 6 months for the next one.

Edited by SmeJack

Nice to see more people being added ! Any idea though when the bug where you get thrown off vehicles may be fixed?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roarkindrake said:

Nice to see more people being added ! Any idea though when the bug where you get thrown off vehicles may be fixed?

On the short list for sure, but no ETA.

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

dedicated time each month for fixing bugs that already exist.

Good move.

With all the communication and explanations we get, there is no way anyone could be mad about it (not to mention the time extension on the event ❤️).

Please stay healthy Keenan and keep doing what you do, it has a positive effect on me. :D

(rest of the team obviously too!)

I really love this.

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 2

can we get an official answer on donkeys not being able to be hitched being intended or a bug? everybody assumed it was a bug because its hard to believe it was intented, until the next update happened and it wasn't fixed, since then we are assuming it wasn't a bug.

Edited by Tpikol

they can be hitched now

from the 28 October patchnotes:

• Bugfix: Donkeys will now be able to pull carts and wagons
Edited by Lisabet
added the info from the patchnotes
  • Like 2

I've only been playing Wurm for a short time but have to say I'm really impressed with this patch. The large number of quality of life updates and the communication have been excellent.

Its always fustrating wanting to play when things are not working right, but I would hope people appreciate theres a lot of complexity to making something like this work properly, and it doesn't always happen straight away.

Maybe theres some stability in the tried and tested, but I'd much rather endure a few days of rough gameplay here and there, if it results in an improved experience overall.

16 hours ago, Keenan said:

Hello all!

So it’s been a bumpy ride since the 28th, and due to the downtime, we will be extending the skill gain and affinity bonuses until 11:59 pm server time on Friday, November 5th. The Halloween event will also be ending at the same time.

First off, I’d like to welcome Radia to the team as a QA engineer.

We are also making changes internally to support our QA team and to reduce bugs. This includes a longer lead time for testing, more code-level tests, and dedicated time each month for fixing bugs that already exist. We will monitor the effectiveness of these changes and make adjustments as needed.

Thank you all for your patience.

Happy Wurming!

well with the event going you get to stress test the bugs a bit xD even with the timing and downtime ty very much for working on resolving bugs when you can even with any hiccups that follow.

welcome Radia!

bolded thank you very very much for adding working on bugs as a dedicated portion of the monthly work allotment.

I deeply appreciate that you are communicating actual information and not just we are working on it sound bites.

ty for taking the time to talk about whats going on.

14 hours ago, roarkindrake said:

I must say that this does not appear to be one distinct bug, but a set of situations where involontary dismounting or disembarking may occur. Many of them are tied to issues in client-server syncronization.

Obviously, a lot has been worked on this set of problems. When Aske and me built the tunnels in E/F21-22 Xanadu, I was used to be thrown off my horse (or cart) everytime I left the tunnel in F21 (5809, 1801) for the workers' quarter due to the 90° turn needed. Also I fell off my horse everytime it stopped due to too high slope, same with cart and wagon.

Most of these issues are either gone, or happen much less often. Still dismounting/disembarking issues are frequent during lags. Also turning a ship at the same tile or few tiles throws one over board fairly often.

My impression is that a lot of work has been done already to address these issues, and it is ongoing.

back in my day the bugs that teleported you out a cart or horse usually killed you too, those are totally gone.

17 hours ago, Keenan said:

First off, I’d like to welcome Radia to the team as a QA engineer. They join Daciana, who has graciously helped with testing in the past along with her other duties. Led by Willow, this QA team will help to prevent bugs from going out and to address the bugs that are reported by you all. Please keep reporting them on the forums as it makes it easier for us to reference back to the post.

Thank you, and welcome Radia!. We appreciate you all and the vast majority of us understand that this is a very tricky and complicated process and that we have to be patient while things get ironed out. I know looking at the forums sometimes it can feel like nothing the dev team do is good enough, because for every fix there's another half dozen 'but what about x' comments but really - we really do appreciate you and we know you're all working your butts off to keep this complex and tricksy game running and evolving and improving for everyone's enjoyment

• Cat 1

Keenan - congrats to you (esp. for good communications) and your improved team - welcome Radia esp. for QA !

Please could one of the bugs to be fixed make the special events off button under graphics, so that ALL the effects are gone - my button is off - don't have skeleton horses - BUT still have blood sea and ugly faces in my oak trees.  Would be v.grateful for those to be gone, as they are not appealing at all - and to have them until the end of Friday 5th November is a bit off putting to say the least.  There are some of us prefer not to have Hallowean at all in our lives - guess I am just a grumpy old lady who prefers looking at nice things only.  So please can we have the full option of NO special effects.

23 hours ago, Darklords said:

HI, I do the breeding for our group on Defiance. What Sme said is accurate,  thank you Sme for speaking up.

The inheritance of non primary traits is extremely low. It should pass on more, including the rare speed trait otherwise it will continue to hurt pvp because you often don't want to risk losing your rare horse, it's your getaway card. It's cost me at least one player kill already. Or remove rare speed completely.

• Like 1

Nothing to report, just want to say I am grateful for communicating with your players and giving us info on what's going on. 

Thumbs up! Keep up the good work @Keenan & team! 👍

• Like 1

I was kind if hoping that toolbelt would have been fixed before the 30% skillgain. Since a lot of people are gonna imp and grond and use the toolbelt for it like myself.

To be honest im a bit disappointed that it’s been taking this long (1y 3m) and it still hasn’t been fixed.

1 hour ago, SweetSusie said:

I was kind if hoping that toolbelt would have been fixed before the 30% skillgain. Since a lot of people are gonna imp and grond and use the toolbelt for it like myself.

To be honest im a bit disappointed that it’s been taking this long (1y 3m) and it still hasn’t been fixed.

What isn't working with your toolbelt?

Definitely a positive step in the right direction. However, as a minor criticism of the most recent patch, it was released on a Thursday. There's a reason that most major MMO's patch early in the week (Tuesday is the most common). This allows any issues with the patch to be resolved during the middle of the week, when most working people are occupied. Having hotfixes and downtimes during a Friday - or worse, during the weekend - is generally bad practice.

In addition to what you're currently doing, I'd recommend aiming major patch days for either a Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 1

I think in this case the exception was warranted since the bugs in question weren't that minor specially during a skill boost event. 

14 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

What isn't working with your toolbelt?

it selects the wrong slots when i click. This is only the case in vertical position. (in the new UI)

i thought i made a post about it, but i guess not cause i cant find it. but it was mentioned so many times before.

they know about the problem.

Apperantly i wasnt the only one who's post got deleted.

Edited by SweetSusie