The weekly maintenance restart will happen on Wednesday, May 1st this week.
Sign in to follow this  
Amadee

Please remove the change to cave-ins on unreinforced floors

• Fix for cave ins not happening in middle of an area without reinforced cave floors.

Please remove this.  There are many canals, boat caves, caverns, tunnels, etc., that this will destroy.  It took many people, many hours of work to get these kinds of things looking the way they wanted.   Not only do we now have to go back and reinforce floors for an unthinkable number of tiles, it will change the looks.  And that's assuming anyone is even willing to do it.  I foresee many public tunnels and canals being abandoned, not to mention lots of deed owners losing interest in their own creations.

Please change this back, and quickly, before irreparable damage is done.  Caverns and boat caves with vaulted ceilings will be irreparable because the only way to get the vaulted ceiling is to start at a higher level and mine down.  Once done, it's impossible to ever mine the ceiling that high again so a cave-in will destroy the entire cavern.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 18

+1!!

With lower populations, this issue will only cause more isolation of the inner lakes, as the travel in and out of them is greatly decreased right now.  Old canals will start closing up and be too much of a chore for a single traveler to pass.  The value of all lake deeds takes a big hit from this.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

At first I disagreed with this complaint Amadee, but then you mentioned vaulted ceilings and had a good point.  Could be disastrous.

• Like 1

I'm un-arsing my characters from Indy and heading to center of Xan as fast as possible... because at some point soon there won't be a usable Ship route to my deeds on Xan any longer. If I'm gonna be stuck anywhere I would rather be stuck at my deeds on Xan.

I'm a fan of realism from way back, I've argued and ranted for more realism in the game for years.... but not for this change. Many of the Players that built these public infrastructures no longer play on Wurm Online (gone from game or gone to WU), so who's going to take up the task of finishing these projects?. If collapsing of tiles in center of caves/mines/tunnels/cave canals was meant to return than it should have been worked on FAST after the bug was detected and fixed while most of these Players were still around and hyped to commit to these projects.

You know after a while stuff that don't get fixed often in Wurm becomes "working as intended", too bad the tiles not collapsing didn't turn out to be one of those.

tl;dr: Bring a good pickaxe with you and lots of food, water, and extra TIME... when you use the Cave Canals/Tunnels from now on.

Edited by geode
  • Like 3

Well, that sure didn't take long.  Logged in, and my boat cave now has a cave in.  Luckily it's out of the boat lane and near enough to a walkway to be semi repairable, but is going to be F'n Ugly!!!   I am not a happy camper.  Took me 6 months to make that boat cave nice with it's vaulted ceilings.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 4

+1, there is no reason for this change.  It adds nothing to the game to have those tiles collapsing.

• Like 1

very big +1 and please do it fast. 2 tiles next to each other collapsed will destroy the high ceilings for ever.

Although I agree that changing this without any advance notice is a bad idea we definitely need faster decay on caves.  In older servers there are literally hundreds of places where the underground layer is completely hollow because there was a deed there in the past that got disbanded.    Buildings and objects decay in a reasonable fast time but some caves, specially big ones never go back to their natural state.

Edited by grincor

3 hours ago, Amadee said:
  • Fix for cave ins not happening in middle of an area without reinforced cave floors.

Please remove this.  There are many canals, boat caves, caverns, tunnels, etc., that this will destroy.  It took many people, many hours of work to get these kinds of things looking the way they wanted.   Not only do we now have to go back and reinforce floors for an unthinkable number of tiles, it will change the looks.  And that's assuming anyone is even willing to do it.  I foresee many public tunnels and canals being abandoned, not to mention lots of deed owners losing interest in their own creations.

Please change this back, and quickly, before irreparable damage is done.  Caverns and boat caves with vaulted ceilings will be irreparable because the only way to get the vaulted ceiling is to start at a higher level and mine down.  Once done, it's impossible to ever mine the ceiling that high again so a cave-in will destroy the entire cavern.

+100 to a very rapid withdrawal of this 'fix'... and I'm not saying this just for vaulted ceilings, but it's simply madness to now have to reinforce every single floortile ever mined out and still useful - also it's madness to not warn very very well before such a 'fix'... so it can be advised against, but also if no ears hear that advice to give time to stop disasters before they happen... will this never be learned??

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 3

+1 at the very least, make supported areas 100% non collapsible

On 3/12/2016 at 9:59 AM, KaiH said:

supported floors and tiles only reduce the risk, they dont make cave-ins impossible

Edited by Lisabet
  • Like 2

+1

This is the reverse of a quality of life improvement. 

• Like 5

The only change cave-ins really needed is to make them even more rare.

• Like 4

Well if the floors are not reinforced I can understand the idea of a collapse, but I like to store stuff in my cave and if I have gone to all the effort of building 100's of reinforcement beams (something that is very time consuming to build), I should not have to worry about a pile of rock falling on top of my rare sailboat.

For those that took the time to build fancy tunnels with cathedral ceilings I suggest you get cracking on those reinforcement beams.

For those thinking OMG I will now be trapped in a inland lake, ROFL, ever heard of a pick axe?

+1 to this due to the vaulted ceilings issue and another +1 for the public works issue, this really needs to be looked at fast, multiple cave ins on active deeds have already greatly affected some of our deeds.  I'm all for improving the turn around for time abandoned areas to return to a pristine state but this change is making it a huge task for players to maintain their deeds and it really is a stupid decision to make this kind of change even if it was a problem of code NOT working as intended without giving us some lead time to prepare for this.

• Like 2

This has always been here, I think they just fixed some broken code so now its noticeable.

I am also told that if you mine out a collapsed tile in a cathedral ceiling the ceiling should remain the same after its mined out as it follows the existing contour.