Sign in to follow this  
nightwatch

Will this cost anything?

Will wurm Unlimited cost anything on steam?

Yes there is a one time cost to buy WU...

i just hope it won't be some $50 game.

At first it likely will be

Lets be completely honest here, is 50 dollars really so unreasonable? We're getting the whole of the Wurm universe in standalone form for such a small sum, some people have spent hundreds, heck, thousands of dollars over the last 10 years on this game. A small price to pay. You'd remake the difference in about 5 months perm.

• Like 2

Lets be completely honest here, is 50 dollars really so unreasonable? We're getting the whole of the Wurm universe in standalone form for such a small sum, some people have spent hundreds, heck, thousands of dollars over the last 10 years on this game. A small price to pay. You'd remake the difference in about 5 months perm.

Yes it is unreasonable, thats in the price range of some AAA games like GTA V, Project CARS, Assassin’s Creed, Dying Light, etc.

And yes, we (as in current players) had pay more than that for playing WO, but you seem to forget the fact that WU target is not the current players of WO, but the people that never played it, and those people will compare it with similar games like H1Z1, Ark, 7 Days to Die, LiF, etc. And this games are usually way lower than 50 dollars.

• Like 1

I'd probably pay the $50 for it if, although I don't know that it's worth that to non-wurmians in the Steam store.

Most other games are in the $10-$30 range for this sort of game.

Yes it is unreasonable, thats in the price range of some AAA games like GTA V, Project CARS, Assassin’s Creed, Dying Light, etc.

And yes, we (as in current players) had pay more than that for playing WO, but you seem to forget the fact that WU target is not the current players of WO, but the people that never played it, and those people will compare it with similar games like H1Z1, Ark, 7 Days to Die, LiF, etc. And this games are usually way lower than 50 dollars.

ahhh value is relative, not absolute so its not necessarily unreasonable though it appears it is unreasonable to you.

I'd have to see what WU was actually offering and exactly what degree of control over the world I had, whether I could reset game states for testing and playing out scenarios, all sorts of thing. Could it be worth $50 to me? yes it could. Would it? don't know.

BTW To me at least one of those AAA titles you mentioned sucks badly and I'd not want to  shell out even $10 for it.... so quoting AAA just means it was expensive to make.

Sheesh. It isn't going to cost $50. I'd say $40 tops but more likely $20 to $30 range. Look at the other games on Steam and the price from indy developers. Rarely are they over $30 unless it's an established indy dev with one or two big hits..

Edited by Clatius

I'm not suggesting that it will be 50 dollars, I'm just saying the overall value of the game with how much content Wurm has is by far worth 50 dollars. I have to agree though it will will not likely be that high. It could be quite low to entice people into buying it solely because it's cheap, and getting hooked on the game mechanics. From my point of view, i'd pay $50 from non wurm players, $10-$20 seems more reasonable, and if that entices people to play and then get hooked onto wurm online, that'd be worth while from a business point of view.

From what I know there will be an introductory price when it hits release, no idea how long that will last or what the actual final price will be, but it'll initially be lower.

"We have no way of linking Wurm Online player accounts to Steam accounts unfortunately so we wouldn't know who to give a discount. We have no way of generating private discount codes on Steam and distributing to an email list either. There will be a general release date discount however." - from the FAQ thread - page 5

Edited by Zenity

Lets be completely honest here, is 50 dollars really so unreasonable? We're getting the whole of the Wurm universe in standalone form for such a small sum[...]

And without political correctness, thank you my god ! No more dumbness and slavery, i will LOVE this game !

50 or even more , for us, that we know and love wurm, and we pay subs every month is nothing.... But for people that never played it ....well, just forget about it. It will be cheaper or if it was me, I'd put at least 2 different versions, single player or client only version for 20 bucks and 50 for the server edition. But i guess Im overthinking it. It will be top 30 bucks

Looking at competitor's prices puts Wurm in a bad spot when we start taking into consideration all the pieces of pie that other parties involved take.

* Steam sales will not all be in eur and it doesn't handle currency conversion. I'm not sure who will convert for CC and it's not unusual to charge fees for this.

* Steam takes 30%.

* plug in digital (PiD) will take a cut...no idea about details. I wonder if PiD handles all the currency conversion.

30 USD could get cut down to 15 USD for CC or about 13.5 Eur. Guess it only seems weird to me because I'm used to the sub. If that 13 EUR turns out to be true it's slightly less 2 months premium.

How many other people have never purchase games from Steam unless they are on sale? I wait for those $50 AAA games to go 85% or more off and buy them. I've never bought a game off steam that wasn't on sale.

• Like 1

You dont even know if it's going to have a new client/renderer (likely will) with comparable specs.

Secondly, you get the server and everything for the price.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The games you are comparing it to, is a bunch of toss imho, so $50 for WU (even though I wont buy it, and dont want anything to do with it) sounds more than fine to me.

There is no established world building game that compares to Wurm Online, which Wurm Unlimited will emulate. Minecraft is a child's building block toy in comparison. Any other world builders are in their infancy, other than perhaps Active Worlds which this past year celebrated their 20 year anniversary but they are a much different flat paneled building process.

With this in mind, I think $50 US would be a fair price since WU will be the only "AAA" game in this category, which exclusivity of what it offers in this category justifies the price. If people don't want to pay that let em play the other junk available, since apparently their lack of *discernment* of the higher quality that Wurm offers for a higher one time cost makes it not worthwhile. 

There is no accounting for taste really and those that focus upon price in this market will end up getting a lesser product. Yet there will be a portion of players within this huge market that will appreciate what Wurm Unlimited offers and will pay for that. In this respect a little free trip into Wurm Online may be what sells them on purchasing Wurm Unlimited, after they view these beautiful landscapes and what players have created within them. Sort of the reverse of what others have commented, that being that WU would make them come to WO while this opposite effect may very well occur too.

=Ayes=

"Manage your own WURM server with customizable admin settings hosted privately with no restrictions on monetization."  If that statement had been made just a few years ago, not only would we have FAINTED, but we would have probably begged for Rolf to take our money at $100 or more.

$50.00 or less would be a really cheap price.  I can only see Rolf setting the price that low in hopes that it will draw the casual crowd and hooking many of them in to the Wurm experience.  But for those of us who have spent years playing Wurm, the price for a single purchase like this is not going to be an issue regardless of what it is..... not even for ol' Eyesgood!  :P

Edited by Eyesgood

You dont even know if it's going to have a new client/renderer (likely will) with comparable specs.

Secondly, you get the server and everything for the price.

Sounds reasonable to me.

The games you are comparing it to, is a bunch of toss imho, so $50 for WU (even though I wont buy it, and dont want anything to do with it) sounds more than fine to me.

I actually doubt that. More than likely the game will be run on your computer via some kind of IP addy your friends can log onto * Ark Survival Evolved is one game i think of that does this *, or it can be privately hosted. Either way most hosting sites for games run for 15-50 USD a month depending on how many players max it allows.

If CC does host the private servers I'm sure there will be an additional cost to that, good thinking on their part allows for a small monthly fee to be involved with the use of those servers ( At least thats what i'd do if i was them ) to recover some of the cost of those leaving WO and no longer paying those monthly premiums.

In the end we don't know for sure it's all conjecture at this point and opinions.

For those who will compare WO/WU graphics to GTAV and go "lol not worth $10", I'd say let them. WU, or what I imagine WU will be, *is* an AAA game in its own right. Just for the sheer width and breadth of what you can do. And I imagine myself playing it for much longer than any of the current AAA games. They don't know what you can do in there? Never mind, most of this demographic won't look past the screenshots in the store page, there are already threads to that effect. And they have plenty of shiny console ports to keep them busy, so I think focusing on them with a $10-$20 price point may be a mistake.

I think Matrix Games is onto something. The wargames that they are specialized in are niche games nowadays, they know they have a dedicated following so they charge them as much as they can. Win-win. Same with the companies that make train and plane sims and the tons of DLCs that spam our Steam store page. Just the fact that they are doing well after all these years seems to suggest that this business model is working.

Anyway, I see no reason why I shouldn't pay for a SP WU as much if not more than for a 5-hour CoD SP campaign.

Ahahaha "AAA", being compared to COD campaign (as opposed to the multiplayer which is why people buy it...), etc. Seriously where do you guys get off comparing this to AAA titles? Wurm is fun and deep but it's not for everyone and if the barrier for entry is too steep, it won't be for anyone. Of course you'd love to keep it that way so you can continue to be snobbish video game elitists... for whatever the hell that's worth. Personally I'd rather the game be successful.

Let's keep this simple. At $10, I can easily convince ~15 people to buy, play, and tell their friends about WU. At $50+ I can convince 0 people to buy WU.

If I were Rolf, I'd aim to be closer to the first number than the second one.

Edited by FlakAttack

Yes 50 $ is completely unreasonable, despite its gameplay mechanics. People will look at the GFX and will go WTF.

For about 7 of my friends (who usually do not play games like these would like to take a look) will only pick up Wurm if it is priced as an Indie title (which it is (tiny dev team, no proper engine etc etc)) so if its anything more than 19.95 I fear people will stay away from it. What we expect these days from a 50 $ game is much much much more. This isn't 2002.

I personally expect it around the 30 Euro / $ mark as that's the price point that the competing titles are at, while its worth more to people who know Wurm any higher will immediately dissuade others.

I'd pay 50 CAD no problem, people blow that these days on kickstarter for wishes that never get delivered.