Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 17

"There are no rules", direct quote from 2 different GMs weeks ago

About the whole rule changes:

"We have taken time to analyze your situation and we do understand the inconvenience and even the negative side effects that these changes to return to mechanical systems will cause you and many others."

While I value your opinion and even gm´s one I much prefer a clear official statement, thanks.

No building on the one tile minimum perimeter. or 2 tiles, or however many free ones, no building on them!

add awesome deed expanding control in directions / move token

let us port to xanadu

that is all

Thank you!

• Like 1

There is a statement from Enki in this forum that states clearly that the Code of Conduct is no more.  Therefore all the rules that we lived under are gone.  There are no more Highway rules.  While he makes a lot of great suggestions,  oh yes those suggestions used to be the Code of Conduct for the game.  None of the Code of Conduct nor his suggestions are enforceable by the GM's.  So the griefers get to do what they can without any consequences, as there is no recourse on the freedom servers. 

Since the underlying deeding system exhibits bugs, and containers and locks are not reliable, the recourses that the player community is supposed to use to protect themselves are broken.    So we are told to use these broken systems to protect our holdings while anyone can enter my deed and throw a lock on my storage and prevent me access to my materials on my deed which is supposed to be protected.  People can shoot 90QL boulders only liftable by charters with 60-70 body strength into the middle of my deed that will take months to decay.  There are so many little security holes that have been abused by griefers in this game for years, always before there was an arbitrating body.  The game was able to operate regardless of its bugs and issues because ultimately when someone stole or destroyed another's hard work there was someone to arbitrate the conflict.  Now there isn't.  Not only is there no longer an arbitrator, you have no power to arbitrate for yourself.  Before there was the code of conduct that clearly stated what was considered griefing another player in the game.  Now there are no more griefers.  Just players that are having fun destroying the hard work of others.  Taking the joy of the game from those that they affect.  Keep in mind that one player abusing the community can affect hundreds of players.  is the joy of that one hateful person worth the pain that you cause every player they victimize. 

I cant believe that you think these are good decisions.  Someone wake up please and realize that there is no good in any of these choices.  This is not a PVP environment, and if you make it one I can imagine that you are negating a large percentage of your user base.

• Like 7

Wurm Online - griefers paradise.

Try that for a slogan and I am sure the subscription numbers will soar.

What is so difficult about making and enforcing a griefing rule on PvE?

• Like 1

I am not convinced, letting established players come over in the first weeks is really going to take something away from the frontier land rush. IMHO anyway.

The sad thing is, there probably would be an influx of children/childish people, though they are generally not the kind that will pay the bills or stick around.

• Like 4

The sad thing is, there probably would be an influx of children/childish people, though they are generally not the kind that will pay the bills or stick around.

Thats the problem there will be an influx of children and childish people, and they will not stick around, but while here they will do as much damage as they can because they have nothing invested in this game. To them its just something to get some kicks out of.......

There is a statement from Enki in this forum that states clearly that the Code of Conduct is no more.  Therefore all the rules that we lived under are gone.  There are no more Highway rules.  While he makes a lot of great suggestions,  oh yes those suggestions used to be the Code of Conduct for the game.  None of the Code of Conduct nor his suggestions are enforceable by the GM's.  So the griefers get to do what they can without any consequences, as there is no recourse on the freedom servers. 

Since the underlying deeding system exhibits bugs, and containers and locks are not reliable, the recourses that the player community is supposed to use to protect themselves are broken.    So we are told to use these broken systems to protect our holdings while anyone can enter my deed and throw a lock on my storage and prevent me access to my materials on my deed which is supposed to be protected.  People can shoot 90QL boulders only liftable by charters with 60-70 body strength into the middle of my deed that will take months to decay.  There are so many little security holes that have been abused by griefers in this game for years, always before there was an arbitrating body.  The game was able to operate regardless of its bugs and issues because ultimately when someone stole or destroyed another's hard work there was someone to arbitrate the conflict.  Now there isn't.  Not only is there no longer an arbitrator, you have no power to arbitrate for yourself.  Before there was the code of conduct that clearly stated what was considered griefing another player in the game.  Now there are no more griefers.  Just players that are having fun destroying the hard work of others.  Taking the joy of the game from those that they affect.  Keep in mind that one player abusing the community can affect hundreds of players.  is the joy of that one hateful person worth the pain that you cause every player they victimize. 

I cant believe that you think these are good decisions.  Someone wake up please and realize that there is no good in any of these choices.  This is not a PVP environment, and if you make it one I can imagine that you are negating a large percentage of your user base.

Untill we can protect ourselves 100% there should still be some form of help we can get. If someone can still come on my deed that I pay for and still grief me, then what is the reason for having a deed........This is down right stupid if these things are allowed to happen.

• Like 3

Xanadu

So finally some clarifications on the new server!

There are some rumors going around that we are implementing something brand new such as 3D caves with Xanadu and that we would force people to move there whilst closing old servers.

That is not the case on either parts even though we at least want those caves one day.

Neither will it be a hunting server.

The main reason for the mega server Xanadu is to show and push what we can do technologically concerning size and player support.

We are planning to run a marketing campaign in connection with the release to have a crazy frontiersman event where we invite tons of people to the biggest sandbox MMO landrush in history!

We plan on releasing it in about a month but you’ll get a more precise date once we’ve ran some more tests.

With those tests we will also be able to know the final size of the server.

Before the release we are also going to be launching the new tutorial area.

When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release.

This is because we need to know that Xanadu can handle the load over time.

The concern is that if everyone would rush and ship thousands of items there at the same time, we would have to roll back and destroy the landrush event.

We haven’t decided where to connect it to the freedom cluster yet and we will discuss this with you before announcing the implementation.

Hopefully we have an ingame voting system done soon so we can run a poll on Pristine and Release regarding whether they want to be connected to Xanadu, and if so, where.

What's interesting about this? Apparently the old players don't count as players who can come help celebrate this remarkable "super server". Those tons of people, I dunno where they're coming from. I sure won't be inviting my friends to come play wurm when my character isn't welcome.  What's funny? I'll get an email inviting me to be a part of this incredible experience as wurm is growing and inviting me to be a part.... So instead of finding a way to let the older players who've paid the wurm devs salaries for years come be a part of this apparently really cool event. You've told us to create a new account and suck it up? Hmm where'd you learn to do marketing?

• Like 6

Old players are more than welcome on Xanadu.

All you have to do is to create a new character, just as it was with P&R.

Tell me one MMO out there where you can take your existing character and move it on a new server (for free).

Edited by ScarfaceRo

Tell me one MMO out there where you can take your existing character and move it on a new server (for free).

Guild Wars II

• Like 1

Wurm Online until Prisi/Release came out.

• Like 1

Anyone wanting to drop 90ql boulders on my deed is more than welcome to do that, i have plenty of wagons, large crates and bsbs and 90ql rocks are always good for bricks and imping.

Reduce the mandatory "free" perimeter tile to 1.  This allows people to put deeds next to each other if they want to and for them to reclaim 4 tiles for their deed.

YES PLEASE!

• Like 1

Please change the must-have perimeter from 5 to 1. And might also consider one way resizing (which need to be two tiles per resize, so token still at the center).

this too +1

If they reduce the perim amount at all, it will totally defeat the purpose. It should be very difficult to connect deeds, and if they are in the way of travel, expect them to go baibai. 

Those perims should remain the same imo, and give us some real room to travel in cramped regions. 

• Like 1

Its apples and oranges really. If I am told by the owner of a company to take action and prepare for a certain event, and I do so at a certain expense, but then the same owner says that the only event is that they are going to lower the price of the very action that I just did....seems very shady and not being up front with your customers.

As I stated in another post, if the only bread maker in the world said he was going out of business, you better prepare, so people start to buy up his remaining bread. Then that bread maker decides that he is not only NOT going out of business, but he is going to lower the prices of his bread and sell it in even more stores. Thus devaluing the bulk bread that you bought from him. That my friend is called a scam, and it is what this feels like at the moment.

I don't expect a refund of any amount, it would be nice, and those that don't agree I do understand your point of view as well. Yes I could have waited, yes it is my responsibility in the end, but when one person makes a money decision based upon the words of the person in charge, and then the very actions of the person in charge causes that person (customer) to be at a loss, then I feel that a wrong happened. I'll recoup the 130s, I'm not worried about that, its more about what is right and what is wrong.

Remember, I would never have spent the 130s to expand my deed if we were not told to prepare. In the end, we were told to take action and those of us that did are at a loss. Some people will leave because of it, I won't, but its gonna be sad to see even more people leave because they feel they were wronged.

I totally hear ya.  Honestly, if you think about it from their perspective, do you think they did the pre-announcement as a way to get you and others to pay full price for expansion, before making another announcement to offer discounted expansions?  Nobody scammed us. They wanted to fix an issue, they came up with what they consider the best solution, they warned us that the change was coming and then decided to try and make the change more tolerable, by lowering the cost to expand.  Sadly, you and others that acted on the pre-announcement got the high prices.  But even if they knew in advance, that they were going to do a discount, do they have to tell you, before they discount? No.  Look, we all want the best price possible. If Rolf gives you a refund, that would make him a hero, but if he doesn't, we should not consider him a villain, because nothing was done wrong.

If we lynch him for this and anything else that happens from "early warning announcements", we can certainly expect to get less communications and more ninja updates.

I seriously feel for you and I think it would be good PR for them to take care of you.

• Like 3

The removal of perimeter enclosures seems silly as the game forces you to have at least a small perimeter when you get a deed. If you're going to remove perimeter enclosures, at least let us select having a perimeter of zero. Not really a big fan of removing any enclosures at all, but eh. I've got a deed, I can live with it. 

As for xanadu... I think it should be between celeb/exodus and pristine/release. would help with server travel to make it so that the cluster wouldn't be just one big line with the tail end of it getting ignored and having little happening.

Loving the new furnitures.

FCC was never a set of rules but a guideline to people to say please respect others.  Since the FCC was written it seems like alot of folks tried to say that they were the rules.  There are rules in place still that say you will not grief or harass people.  If you go and read the rules you will see that.  Please stop making some of this sound as if the world is coming to an end.  It isn't.

FCC was never a set of rules but a guideline to people to say please respect others.  Since the FCC was written it seems like alot of folks tried to say that they were the rules.  There are rules in place still that say you will not grief or harass people.  If you go and read the rules you will see that.

This. The FCC has always been a stupid show for the galleries. They're meant to paint a picture of a beautiful scenery where everyone lives in happy rainbow land because they respect the boundaries as written in the FFC, but: They have never been rules, never been enforced as rules and never been meant to be interpreted as rules. Removing them will remove a lot of confusion surrounding them.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

It's kinda insulting to those who have been anticipating the launch, a new server launch is quite a big event that many look forward too.

I suppose it's wrong of us to get our hopes up on assumptions, but it feels like some sort of pointless obstacle.

And it is quite pointless if you think about it. With Pristine and Release the idea was to give new players a chance to enter a new and untouched world without the competition of older and more experienced players, and that's fine. It's good that those new players got to experience wurm from a proper 'new game' view point with new lands and new characters only, all on the same starting level.

But Xanadu it's only a week after launch which means the new players will simply rush and take advantage of this head start. They'll be encouraged to do crazy things like deeding all the spots they think the older players will be after and taking away the value of a fresh map. Existing players will likely do the same too on alts so they don't miss out.

Basically it's like throwing a launch party for newcomers only and telling your existing players they can't come until the hype dies down, as if they have no value there for the launch.

Edited by Madt

This. The FCC has always been a stupid show for the galleries. They're meant to paint a picture of a beautiful scenery where everyone lives in happy rainbow land because they respect the boundaries as written in the FFC, but: They have never been rules, never been enforced as rules and never been meant to be interpreted as rules. Removing them will remove a lot of confusion surrounding them.

Mayhaps the new FCC is "An eye for an eye" or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Mayhaps griefing should be countered by griefing the griefers... en masse. Swiftly, promptly, and harshly. Leave no question that torches and pitchforks are defenses.

Mayhaps the new FCC is "An eye for an eye" or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

The spirit of the FCC is not turned on its head by this change. The border cases of what is considered griefing (by the community) will have to be reassessed. No longer can griefers hide behind mechanical enclosure rules, it's a lot more situational now. How cases are viewed by the community will depend on communication and purpose of said enclosure.

I have no doubt that the community will be as swift to deal with griefers as in all the other cases, for instance when the protection for boats was lifted (lock and moor, or lose). There was at least one case on Pristine where a neighbourhood dealt with a boat thief by expulsion and KOS.

It's kinda insulting to those who have been anticipating the launch, a new server launch is quite a big event that many look forward too.

I suppose it's wrong of us to get our hopes up on assumptions, but it feels like some sort of pointless obstacle.

And it is quite pointless if you think about it. With Pristine and Release the idea was to give new players a chance to enter a new and untouched world without the competition of older and more experienced players, and that's fine. It's good that those new players got to experience wurm from a proper 'new game' view point with new lands and new characters only, all on the same starting level.

But Xanadu it's only a week after launch which means the new players will simply rush and take advantage of this head start. They'll be encouraged to do crazy things like deeding all the spots they think the older players will be after and taking away the value of a fresh map. Existing players will likely do the same too on alts so they don't miss out.

Basically it's like throwing a launch party for newcomers only and telling your existing players they can't come until the hype dies down, as if they have no value there for the launch.

I still fail to see who stops an old player to create a new character?

It's the old characters (pixels) who are delayed, not the old players (humans).

Edited by ScarfaceRo