Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 17

Sometimes I just really, really don't understand the Wurm Staff.

You said you read the suggestions, but somehow you seemed to have missed that just about everyone agreed with you that walling off huge areas was not good for the game - the biggest issues that old players have with you getting rid of the enclosure rules, is the way it effects the forced perimeter.

Yet your solution was to make it even easier to close off HUGE areas of land with no work involved, as long as you are willing to pay. And you just made it cheaper to do exactly that!

There was no solution whatsoever for the main concern the playerbase had with their perimeters. But thanks to your warning, people have already found new and extremely ugly ways of dealing with this. Instead of fencing of perimeter, we now just make ugly U-shaped buildings in the perimeter instead. (With 5 tiles out to edge of perimeter and 24 long and 5 tiles back in, and fence off the 22 tiles on the deededge = 98 carp to secure a 5x24 perimeter area as long as your deededge is flat enough to plan buildings on. Then there is a series of Donut houses in non-perimeter areas as well.). Since the building is in your perimeter, noone can deed over it - there you have the solution for  you treefarms and offdeed pens...

And the new players that most people agreed needed protection, just got totally shafted. Seriously, you thought keeping your items safe was their biggest concern? Locked carts, inventory and bank already did that, so unless you can farm and keep animals and grow trees and mine inside those tents, the new players just got seriously shafted. So badly actually that I am tempted to spend my remaining premium time building Donuthouses for new players for free.

Edited by Lithien
  • Like 11

They know how to code... 

Between the "Xanadu landrush first for people who make an alt and subscribe it to deed up", and the interestingly phrased "perimeters and enclosures will lose protection", and the "deed over it, same old mechanics so replant your token or make a new deed, we lowered the initial cost", and upkeep prices remaining the same......

I feel sorry for people like Gnome who deeded over more land in preparation for this.

I've played enough "Item Mall" games to know a cashgrab when I see one.... sell you a $500 armor, 2 months later "it's being rebalanced, now it has half the stats.. btw we added a new system to improve your armors... warm up that credit card".

Classic EA/WBGames move too... "break something, sell you the fix".

Really sad... disappointing... guess i'll let my subscriptions run out then sell my deeds with what's left of upkeep in them along with my accounts (unless Rolf comes to his senses).

This sadly, minus the letting my subscription run out part.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

Please do whatever you're going to do with the combat system before you start the big marketing campaign :P

I hope to return to the game soon, still checking every weekly update :)

(I just need to have something to do after my deed is build that is not standing next to an animal and waiting for it to die, while some animations play..)

• Like 1

Sometimes I just really, really don't understand the Wurm Staff.

You said you read the suggestions, but somehow you seemed to have missed that just about everyone agreed with you that walling off huge areas was not good for the game - the biggest issues that old players have with you getting rid of the enclosure rules, is the way it effects the forced perimeter.

Yet your solution was to make it even easier to close off HUGE areas of land with no work involved, as long as you are willing to pay. And you just made it cheaper to do exactly that!

There was no solution whatsoever for the main concern the playerbase had with their perimeters. But thanks to your warning, people have already found new and extremely ugly ways of dealing with this. Instead of fencing of perimeter, we now just make ugly U-shaped buildings in the perimeter instead. (With 5 tiles out to edge of perimeter and 24 long and 5 tiles back in, and fence off the 22 tiles on the deededge = 98 carp to secure a 5x24 perimeter area as long as your deededge is flat enough to plan buildings on. Then there is a series of Donut houses in non-perimeter areas as well.). Since the building is in your perimeter, noone can deed over it - there you have the solution for  you treefarms and offdeed pens...

And the new players that most people agreed needed protection, just got totally shafted. Seriously, you thought keeping your items safe was their biggest concern? Locked carts, inventory and bank already did that, so unless you can farm and keep animals and grow trees and mine inside those tents, the new players just got seriously shafted. So badly actually that I am tempted to spend my remaining premium time building Donuthouses for new players for free.

You forget that they'll still have to pay the same amount of upkeep. And that people usually don't have bottomless wallets. I for one don't plan on expanding my deed any, even if it is cheaper.

So the fix for enclosures is reduced tile purchase price? No single direction deed expansion, no variable perimeter adjustment under the minimum 5 tiles? Not even a mention of reduced upkeep fee for active farm tiles. Your fix may help some setting up new or remote farms but does nothing for many others with existing adjacent lands. There will still be the high cost of disbanding and moving tokens.

Other than that, great news. Love the new deco furniture.

I agree with you that deed expansion needs to be more flexible. As it stands now if you want to expand later in one direct you need to increase your perimeter in ALL directions needlessly blocking other people out or just plain old expanding in all directions. Reducing the cost to relocate your deed token would help as well.

This is a very legitimate issue. If perimeters are mandatory, but not part of legal enclosures, then in heavily populated areas, large amounts of land will simply be unprotectable.

I view perimeters more like fences, good fences make good neighbors. With only disallowing other players from building buildings it acts as a buffer.

As for Release and Pristine I think when the new server goes live it's about time for us (at least on Release) to join the rest of the world. One of the main reasons I didn't want to join the rest of the cluster was the behavior of some of the older players who are mainly on Pristine. What I'm referring to was the sentiment that Release be joined to the rest of the clusters so their alts can move in but not Pristine so they can have their own private island which made me want to have nothing to do with the other clusters. But I've gotten over that and if through game improvements we get more players then these people will become a even smaller minority (not all the older players, just the greedy ones).

As it stands if new players who joined around when the servers were made wanted to get a skill to 90 they've done so or have gotten close. The rest of us putter on and no matter the server we'd be at the same level. This was sort of in doubt with the last vote but I feel that now it's past time to join the main cluster.

How about fixing the already known issues with lag and disconnects with large amounts of people in local before adding a new, huge server? Just check out the recent raid of a JK deed by BL on Elevation, or any impalongs over the past couple years.

B-but we have now a new amazing and totally useful LAWN!!!!11!!!oneone1!!one!!1

They know how to code... 

Between the "Xanadu landrush first for people who make an alt and subscribe it to deed up", and the interestingly phrased "perimeters and enclosures will lose protection", and the "deed over it, same old mechanics so replant your token or make a new deed, we lowered the initial cost", and upkeep prices remaining the same......

I feel sorry for people like Gnome who deeded over more land in preparation for this.

I've played enough "Item Mall" games to know a cashgrab when I see one.... sell you a $500 armor, 2 months later "it's being rebalanced, now it has half the stats.. btw we added a new system to improve your armors... warm up that credit card".

Classic EA/WBGames move too... "break something, sell you the fix".

Really sad... disappointing... guess i'll let my subscriptions run out then sell my deeds with what's left of upkeep in them along with my accounts (unless Rolf comes to his senses).

I think don't think that this was an intentionally thing.

After being witness to the sloppiness and randomness of Code Club, I don't really think they have the planning skill and cunning to pull that move.

Anyway, another week without any new mechanic or utility, just some decoration, and some talks about freedom stuff.

And that guy that wasted a lot of money on perimeter... that hurts.

I feel disappointed and sad.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 2

This sadly. And worse still, its not the first time. Pristine and Release were supposed to be connected to the old cluster "around a month" after they opened, yet, its been way over a year and they're still separated. Freedom is already fragmented enough as it is.

Rolf said he will keep them seperated for sometime but should get connected before a year. It's been a year and a half so far and theres no news about them other than that they want to implement a voting system first which still has no ETA. (A voting system implies that people will get to say if they want to get them connected or not and if they don't then it won't be connected, which is stupid because we were told they'd get connected no matter what) 

I'm a bit dissapointed that we won't get to take part in Xanadu landrush unless we make another char(cheap cashgrab anyone?) because they want to see if they can handle the load? Well i thought that's why we tested the server before?

They don't want people bringing over thousands of items at first so that the server can handle the event? People will do just that (i know i will) after(if) it opens for everyone so what's the point?

Another thing is this so called "event". What is the point of it? A bunch of new characters spawning and running out in the wilderness ? Is it to give new players a chance to deed? I highly doubt that the first thing a new player will do is place a deed when they dont even know how the game works, same for the returning players. Most people who will be deeding first are going to be the old players. 

Even the size of the server will be 16x so surely there will be enough place for everyone to deed? I really don't understand the point of this "event" or how it's going to be anything special. Are we going to get special mobs spawned? Or items? A title? I honestly cant see it being anything special other than make more money by allowing people to go there ahead of everyone and deed ahead of everyone but only if they pay more. Will money leak over from epic just like with pristine/release? So many questions... 

As for the enclosure changes, i'm not even going to comment on that as it doesnt affect me nor i care about it, but i feel for those who prepared for it, just as rolf said and lost money now that they are halving the price. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 5

*POST EDITED BECAUSE I WAS WARNED FOR THE LAST ONE*

I never saw so many ungrateful people as in this game. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

When changes were made directly, you whined and asked to be warned upfront.

Now when you were warned upfront you whine because... well, I still fail to see why.

You didn't paid more than anyone who set or expanded a deed before. You just didn't get a discount. Live with it.

See the bright side that from now on every deed you set and expand will be half the price.

• Like 6

Love it all around. Good choice if you guys do connect it in a week, and no longer.

Great artwork to! ;)

So, since deeds now cost half of what they used to, how will I see compensation for my existing tiles?

I should be seeing quite a hefty sum of coin returning back to me.

• Like 2

This doesn't help much if upkeep stays the same, upkeep is what hurts.

Will only make current deed prices go down even more =(

Anyway everything else seems awesome, good job :)

It also doesn't help when the 4 tiles I want to protect are locked in touching perimeters that are the required 5 wide. I cannot expand NS because of I have expanded to my neighbors. I cannot expand west or I pay upkeep on ocean that is not really prudent to keep filling in though I guess I can eh? Or rather, I guess I will. My only expansion is EW up a mountain and into the ocean. Surface mine one side down and fill the other in. Then I can move my rice field onto the deed. I had hoped for 1 direction expansion so I only had to mess with that hill and not the water.

As for the rest, it all sounds great to me. I do like the decoration choices being added! Just one thing about boats... shark-targeting harpoon guns. :-P Just kidding on those. I like the changes. So maybe you can sneak in info about us being able to sit on chairs soon to go with the boats? :-D

• Like 1

Rolf said he will keep them seperated for sometime but should get connected before a year. It's been a year and a half so far and theres no news about them other than that they want to implement a voting system first which still has no ETA. (A voting system implies that people will get to say if they want to get them connected or not and if they don't then it won't be connected, which is stupid because we were told they'd get connected no matter what) 

I'm a bit dissapointed that we won't get to take part in Xanadu landrush unless we make another char(cheap cashgrab anyone?) because they want to see if they can handle the load? Well i thought that's why we tested the server before?

They don't want people bringing over thousands of items at first so that the server can handle the event? People will do just that (i know i will) after(if) it opens for everyone so what's the point?

Another thing is this so called "event". What is the point of it? A bunch of new characters spawning and running out in the wilderness ? Is it to give new players a chance to deed? I highly doubt that the first thing a new player will do is place a deed when they dont even know how the game works, same for the returning players. Most people who will be deeding first are going to be the old players. 

However the size of the server will be 16x so surely there will be enough place for everyone to deed? I really don't understand the point of this "event" or how it's going to be anything special. Are we going to get special mobs spawned? Or items? A title? I honestly cant see it being anything special.

As for the enclosure changes, i'm not even going to comment on that as it doesnt affect me nor i care about it, but i feel for those who prepared for it, just as rolf said and lost money now that they are halving the price. 

Was this in IRC by any chance that he said this? All I can find when searching is the official release news, where it was said that it won't be connected for an undetermined amount of time.

Was this in IRC by any chance that he said this? All I can find when searching is the official release news, where it was said that it won't be connected for an undetermined amount of time.

I am unsure but i remember someone quoted him either here on the forums or in game saying that they shouldn't stay unconnected for more than a year. 

Edited by atazs

He also said there would be a new server added to the new cluster before any merging... so does this mean Xanadu gets connected to Pristine and Release first? I don't care anymore, just curious...

Could we have no templars on Xanadu? Frontier experience doesn't play well with those serial killers around...

• Like 1

Well, guess I won't be moving to the new server after all.  I was looking forward to it, getting a fresh start on a new server.  But for some silly reason you have decided to keep it separate for a while before merging, and it seems a bit vague about when and who will be merged.  I thought you learned your lesson after Release and Pristine.  We are still waiting for those to be merged as was promised at the time they were released.  I'm not interested in starting a new char just to get on the new server early, and don't want to go after it gets built up, so I guess I'll just stay where I am.  And all your excuses for not merging right away are just that, excuses.  When you do the merge you will still have to face those problems, may as well do it now.

As to the new enclosure rules, it's about what I expected.  I have no problem with the rules, and those that spent money to expand their deeds before Rolf made up his mind should have waited for official word before taking any action.  I've made the same mistake in the past, and it cost me about 100 euros I didn't need to spend, so I feel for you, but not too much.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 4

Thank you Rolf for all the news and hope you have a great holiday. 

Great news on Xanadu.  (just a thought maybe in the future could make a an enchanted islands map, one where its all water with small islands large enough for 1 to 5 deeds per island)

The enclosure rules I do understand the bigest problem wasnt the ptice per/tile although lowering helps.  The bigest problem is the inability to expand on just one side at a time (or the ability to reposition the token (or center) of your deed.  This forces you to have to removed your deed and replace it inorder to expand over intended areas either out of choice or in most cases the players are blocked on two sides. 

• Like 2

I expect upkeep costs to in half also, or i shall have heads, Also cuting deed expansion costs in half, NIce, What about those of us that spent golds expanding, that a swift slap in the face when we spent it to expand and paid the hefty tolls so now people can pay smaller tolls and still have hefty upkeeps with a hefty costly price of silvers. You sir  are  a very evil person that is angering me beyong belief..........

• Like 1

If you are afraid what will happen when we alll rush over there with full ships. Why not simply let us do another test, where we all get a knarr spawned, full of large crates full of goods.

Make another test server, where we all start on with our knarr, and let us sail towards the Xanadu test server.

That would be what you call a stress test ;)

Other then that, looks fine the updates. You'll always hurt some of your players with any change whatsoever. But if you are an old wurm-dinosaur like me, you just learn to go with the flow and adapt (as long as prem prices stays stable for the next 10 years ;)

Decoration is always nice to have more of, simple to implement, but can make a wurmians life more interesting if they can make a comfortable looking home.

• Like 5

Meh, its just a freedom cluster land rush. :P

Now a pvp server land rush... aye that would be something.

The carnage!

The looting!

Mwahahaha.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update I look forward to them. I'm hoping the wardrobe and bed table are useful items, if not they will still look great in my house. As for Xanadu wish I  could be apart of the land rush event. But I do wish all who go the best in finding your perfect spot.

When it comes to connecting the old servers we will wait at least a week after initial release.

To me it´s not even clear if Release and Pristine are part of the old Servers

Because 18 months in a MMORPG is pretty old already....so why should they be connected to Xanadu (as some people here seem to think) while the older part of the Freedom cluster isn´t.

Wouldn´t connecting Release and Pristine to Xanadu on  Day 1 of its release mean, that people will bring thousands of items over from there ?

I´m not even voicing my opinion on how poorly the enclosure-rule-change is being handled (other than this one-liner, otherwise i would be banned). You should´ve come up with something viable before youd let the old enclosure-rule go.

Edited by Galadhel
  • Like 2

I am shocked no one has put up a thread to vote on if the "loyal" customers should be allowed in at the same time. We have this amazing new thing the largest map ever put in an mmo sandbox game.. but only new customers can enjoy it on opening day.

The more i think on it the more upset i get over the deal. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 14

It's not about new customers, it's about customers who're willing to sub an alt just to deed as opposed to us scum who'd use our main to sail over and do it.

Same as us scum who don't wanna spend extra to buy a new deed to replace our  perimeter enclosures... shame on us for not wanting to spend an extra $15 a month for the same thing we had before.  Apparently this game only wants griefers and people willing to spend heavily on buying around them.

• Like 4