Army

Feature Preview: Default Actions

Hey everyone!

We are currently working on a bigger update for the whole action system. One of the new features contained in that update is an easy way to bind multiple actions to a default key.

Today we want to give you a preview of its planned implementation and would love to hear your feedback about it.

The default action key

At the moment the actions which are available for the default action key bind are limited to a static list. This update will change that.

The default action can change based on the current context, enabling a range of actions to be started with a single key.

It is influenced by the circumstances, such as the currently active item, the target in the world, or whether you are currently embarked on a vehicle.

An example (while being grounded):

You are targeting a tile with a tree on the ground. Having a hatchet activated will make the default action key start a cut down action, while having a shovel activated will start a dig action.

1.png2.png

Customization

The default action will be more customizable. In the right-click menu there is a new button for it, called "Edit default action".

When clicking the button, valid actions will begin to flash. When one is clicked, it will set that action as the new default action for your currently active item on the target you right-clicked. You can remove it again by repeating the same steps.

For example:

Choosing "Cut down" on a birch tree with an active hatchet will make the "Cut down" action the default action for all birch trees. The process can be repeated again to remove the default action.

3.gif4.gif

Advanced combinations

As there are multiple possible actions for most targets (depending on the circumstances), we'll have to support complex combinations while keeping things for you as easy as possible.

The current default actions will have a separate color in the right-click menu so you can identify them more easily. While in edit mode, hovering a valid action will give you a tooltip that you can right-click it for further customization.

The advanced customization options will let you choose what active item the default action allows from the following list:

• Any of the same type as the active item (any hatchet for example)
  • Only the active item
  • Any (or none) active item
  • Any item that matches any checked types of the currently active item (a hatchet has the "tool" and "weapon" types for example)

The same options are available for the target of the action:

• Any of the same type (any birch tree for example)
  • Only the current target
  • Any target that matches any checked types of the current target (a birch tree has the "any surface tile", "tree tile" and "diggable tile" types for example)

The final available option is your current mounted status, with a choice between "Anytime", "While mounted" and "While not mounted". This is to allow slightly more complex interactions like "Embark" and "Disembark", as they need to differ depending on your current state.

5.gif7.gif8.gif

Multiple defaults

Multiple defaults for the same active item/target pair can be saved at the same time.

Some sorting rules are applied to choose which action is used at the time. This will let you set a general default action for a pair, and then a different default action for a more specific pairing.

When setting a new default action for a pair, any other actions with higher priority for that pair will be removed to make the newly set default the highest priority.

For example:

You have the "Embark" action set as default using any item on any vehicle and also have the "Open" action set as default for a single wagon that you use only for storage.

These two default actions will be sorted so the action with the more specific details (the single wagon) has a higher priority, making "Open" the default action for your wagon in that case, while keeping the "Embark" action default for all other vehicles.

6.gif9.gif

Please keep in mind that anything shown here is still in development and subject to change. We want to keep you updated on our latest development work and ideas so we can discuss them with you in advance.

We are working on bringing this feature (along with more changes related to the Actions Update) to the test server soon. But for now, let us know what you think about the planned changes! Questions are also welcome. I'll try to collect and answer them right down below.

• Like 42

Related Questions & Answers

Q: Where will the default actions be saved?

A: In a separate file next to the keybinds.txt file.

Q: Can the default actions be moved or shared between alt accounts?

A: They share the "Keybindings Source" launcher setting, so you can either use the same default actions for all your accounts or use a different file for every account and copy/move it between them as you like.

Q: Is there an easy way to reset them all to the default values?

A: Deleting the default actions file will reset them all to the base values.

Q: What actions are supported by the new system?

A: All actions that are already bindable at this moment and all actions that already have been converted to the new actions system.

• Like 13

First!  i can't wait for this update, this is very much needed, Thank you!!!!

Ok, this looks VERY promising as an update, can't wait to get some hands on experience with it.

Wow, thats a great feature and life changer, cant wait!

Looks good. What about new quickbar which was announced in action changes as well in August update? 

Edited by Ringhai

5 minutes ago, Ringhai said:

Looks good. What about new quickbar which was announced in action changes as well in August update? 

That's coming in the same update, this post is just to preview the details of the default action changes.

• Like 10

Much needed update! Looking pretty good! Can't wait for the new quickbar and Java update as well.

Edited by Kian

41 minutes ago, Budda said:

That's coming in the same update, this post is just to preview the details of the default action changes.

Great, thanks a lot for feedback!

Looks like a solid QoL improvement. Will be interested to play around with it.

Looks very promising! Excited to see how it works out I suppose it will be a great help.

Looks ambitious and promising.

Edited by Karrde

Very keen to see this ingame!!

• Like 1

I am greatly looking forward to this QoL update. This should make life a lot easier for everyone. Been waiting for this since it was announced.

when is the lighting update, the sun shining through the land right after sunset needs to be fixed after 5 years

• Like 3

I assume they will be saved in the chosen Settings Profile too or we would have to copy the text file  into all our toons folders if we don't want to redo them on each individualy?

Edited by Cipacadrinho

Nice but I'm worried, you all still haven't fixed my keybinds getting randomly unbound for years now... my post about it has been lost in time.  Now I'll have multiple binds being lost.  I just don't have a lot of faith, please prove me wrong.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Looks promising, but... I don't see any mention of all the actions that are currently non-bindable. Some that come to mind are: Build Wall, Plan Floor/Opening/Roof, Clean (forges, ovens, etc.), Ride (horse), plus all the ones that have been on this list Missing Keybinds, and the linked ones inside that post, for YEARS. Not to mention emotes, which I don't care about that much, but some do. Are you going to address these actions in this update?

• Like 2

not disembarking while harvesting cus the darn default key will get a game changer for me. love it

• Like 2

Does it include emotes?

Something similar like if people press the dance button, a single or multiple firework(s) also launch(es).

Congratz to the min-maxers on this achievable future update.

Nice QoL update, will be nice to use binds that previously wasn't possible.

Good news?!? Unacceptable! Time to find something to be miserable about and complain!