Sign in to follow this  
Lisimba

Mixed messages

4 minutes ago, Rudie said:

The staff list is getting smaller.

One person on that list was good for the community and did well that was let go. The rest IMO had power trips and did nothing but cause problems in an already small player base. 

• Like 2

Disappointing to lose key members of the staff.  Thank you for all you have done and wish you all the best in the future.  

I like the idea of using idea from WU.  

Disappointing to have pvp delayed yet again.  It is good to hear that players will have a say in the future of pvp.  Hopefully, this will eventually create a thriving pvp community.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Yup.

Just saw another name being scratched off of that list:

https://imgur.com/a/hzikh

Thorin

Neenee's names been of the list a few days, was mentioned in Emoos video

It's very clear at this point that whatever is going on behind the scenes, this is not just a series of isolated coincidences. The team shrinking in this manner is a far bigger problem than you can gauge just by adding up all the people it's lost. This is an existential threat and Krister is shuffling the chairs on the Titanic as if either he doesn't get what's happening (extremely doubtful,) or expects everyone else not to recognise it if he just acts cool about it. 

In closing
The biggest insight I have gained is that Wurm Online is not run by a single person, and it has never been that way. It is a community driven project and I do not intend to change that, even though I made mistakes and we have lost valuable people my goal is to share our victories and burdens with you. There will be backlash and I see every departure as my failing, be it financially as well as personally. Wurm Online is yours, you created it, it is not mine and never will be, However my job is to secure the well-being of our team and to make sure we have the finances to be able to not only keep Wurm Online live and well, but to further improve and add content to it.

Seems very much like if this pattern continues Wurm will be a one man project, maybe chatGPT can redesign the new player experience though eh? All of this is self-contradictory waffle. "My job is to secure the well-being of our team" by whittling it down to nothing? I suppose if there are zero people on the team then none of them will have anything to worry about. Am I supposed to believe that every single one of these departures is because of something other than the one common factor at the centre of all of this? How many times has Krister appealed for people to reach out to him in private, only for posts to show up in various threads here with words to the effect of "I've been trying to reach you for weeks, since you haven't responded I'm unfortunately saying this here instead."? He's trying to create the impression that there's more going on in private discussions than there really is. Krister Elmgren tells lies like a fish swims, it's just like breathing air to him. Appalling behaviour.

• Like 13

I wanted to comment on this, but I am proud to see the community said it for me. We have lost our most talented and hardworking staff members and as a result this game is now circling the drain. Kudos on a job well done Mr. CEO. Your actions is what has led us all here.

• Like 9

I'm happy to see that WU comment. There is so much potential that can be tapped for so little cost.  I almost want to go back and start molding WU again as a refresher. But, like others, I'm not sure if Krister is serious.

Edit.. Oh yeah, I'm guessing Goblin Villages where Darklord's thing? And now that person is gone, it gives Wurm an excuse to dumpster that expansion?  I was concerned that spawning frequency was going to be too infrequent for it to actually be fun, but that should be a detail that is easily tweaked.

Edited by joedobo

I've seen inferences here in forums that Rolf became a major shareholder and a board member of Game Chest.  Is there any truth to this and is he still a board member?

Even Rolf did things that upset others.  PvP, raiding of home servers (to be fair, they were heavily nerfed when doing so). I think WU wasn't liked by many (especially some DEVs) but Rolf powered through and did it anyway.

4 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Right now my only - and very sad - conclusion is that Krister is lying to us, have been lying to as and will continue to lie to us.

I don't think that guy is lying. He is doing what he is paid for, just google translate https://gamechestgroup.com/investor-relations/press-release/21848 .

You can see there something like "With, as a first step, an increased focus on the sale of the game's currency Silvermynt, the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers.".

It can be easily translated to  "we don't care about new players and even we don't care about old players, we just care about silver shop". This was published in April, so I assume that idea about new web pages and shop came even earlier.

Now we can see result of first step. New web pages were released after 3 months (April, May, June) with AI generated content.

It's not lying. It is complete technical incompetence and dilettante project management motivated by quick cash gain hidden by nice corporate speech (I already faced it twice in RL and it was always the same). I don't believe anything will be materialized (in time) as was shared today. Especially, when experienced engineers went away.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Gwiz said:

I've seen inferences here in forums that Rolf became a major shareholder and a board member of Game Chest.  Is there any truth to this and is he still a board member?

The board is open source if you google the company name.

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

The board is open source if you google the company name.

Yeah, I have looked.  I can't find Rolf's name anywhere connected to Game Chest.

I was just wondering if there was any truth to him being a board member of GCG at one time and when he left and why.

38 minutes ago, Ringhai said:

I don't think that guy is lying. He is doing what he is paid for...

I don't know if he's lying or not myself, but I think he is severly underestimating the Wurm community.  I would venture a guess that the median age of a Wurm player is in the 40's combined with above average technological skills. This isn't a bunch of teenagers playing Fortnite here and we can spot BS from a mile away.

Edited by Gwiz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

I'm happy to see that WU comment. There is so much potential that can be tapped for so little cost.  I almost want to go back and start molding WU again as a refresher. But, like others, I'm not sure if Krister is serious.

Edit.. Oh yeah, I'm guessing Goblin Villages where Darklord's thing? And now that person is gone, it gives Wurm an excuse to dumpster that expansion?  I was concerned that spawning frequency was going to be too infrequent for it to actually be fun, but that should be a detail that is easily tweaked.

The Wurm Unlimited stuff has recently been deleted off of Krister's post. I do not believe that that was meant to be there or mentioned by mistake. Maybe chatGPT accidentally added it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HawkHawk said:

I only started at Steam launch and my playtime on this well over doubles anything else in my Steam library.

I really want this game to do well and I really want to see through the projects I've started, I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I still regularly browse the forums hoping something will ignite the spark again and give me the motivation to start playing again, but so far, the current direction is just not for me at the moment.

I been playing for well over a decade. It's all the same and will always be the same. You can either zone out and play the game until you look around and notice everyone you knew is gone. 

As a mainly pvper freedom is boring to me and I can only bring myself to play for a few months as it gets stagnate. I refuse to give this game anymore of my money and will simply sit back and chuck all my remanding silver in my deeds Incase I decide to return. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ringhai said:

I don't think that guy is lying. He is doing what he is paid for, just google translate https://gamechestgroup.com/investor-relations/press-release/21848 .

You can see there something like "With, as a first step, an increased focus on the sale of the game's currency Silvermynt, the company can increase revenue from the game regardless of the number of players or premium subscribers.".

It can be easily translated to  "we don't care about new players and even we don't care about old players, we just care about silver shop". This was published in April, so I assume that idea about new web pages and shop came even earlier.

Now we can see result of first step. New web pages were released after 3 months (April, May, June) with AI generated content.

It's not lying. It is complete technical incompetence and dilettante project management motivated by quick cash gain hidden by nice corporate speech (I already faced it twice in RL and it was always the same). I don't believe anything will be materialized (in time) as was shared today. Especially, when experienced engineers went away.

If you quote / reply to a post, at least have the dignity to quote the full post and not just one line.

If you had quoted my full post, it was quite obvious why I wrote that line.
I could have used the "Spock-reply" and claim he has been exagarating. Or perhaps he's been bending the truth.
But the moment someone says multiple times that his door is always open and that he will reply to personal messages and I see multiple posts of various people claiming they did reach out to him and they still haven't seen a reply; you're lying. And when there's one lie, there are more.

You can of course call them "inconsistencies", but every post Krister put up here is making things only worse; while claiming it's for the benefit of the community.
It's not. And because of that, it makes it a lie too.

TLDR: I don't trust Krister anymore. He's promising us a map to El-Dorado; but in the end it's just a piece of rotting parchement.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BattleWall said:

The Wurm Unlimited stuff has recently been deleted off of Krister's post. I do not believe that that was meant to be there or mentioned by mistake. Maybe chatGPT accidentally added it.

Or staff members didn't know that and asked him what it was about?

I got the feeling Krister is just as bad in communicating with the staff as he's with the community.

• Like 4

@Kristerthat thread reads like the biggest pile of ######. My translation "I knowingly stepped on my ###### and don't care I ###### all your staff." All these staff losses in the last year are just absurd. It should be obvious to you by now your going the wrong direction! You have greatly underestimated the community of this game and should be ashamed,  Get your head out of your ass. Thoe to be honest it may already be past the tipping point now. The full extent of the fallout of this debacle has yet to be revealed and more staff will inevitable step down over your money grubbing, ###### the players shenanigan's. I've tried to give you time to proof yourself but you now made it clear to me that you are a terrible CEO for this company. You may have squeezed a few more dollars out of it for now, but at what cost. Just because wurm has been around nearly 2 decades does not make it indestructible. From fraudulent AI artwork that is not at all representative of the game on the website to the my way or the highway attitude with staffers.... Those who fail to learn from there mistakes become the lesson. You have been warned. Locking the initial thread of replies just comes off as a childish "i don't see it so its not a problem" attitude, and you should have fully expected this type of response.

At this point I cant help but wonder if this ###### brewing in the background the last few days is why we had little to no GM activity at this years Annual Friendalong the last few days. Many people were quit disappointed by this as one of the main activities at these events is the challenge of the Arena's. I think we had 2-3 visits over the course of the last 72 hours witch is well below normal. If this is a sign of things to come, were all ######.

This is also not the first time your lack of give a ###### has negatively affected these types of events. Two years ago even thoe I had the dates posted 6 months in advance you guys decided to do the steam release the same ###### day practically as Friendalong thus forcing people to choose to play the land rush game or go to this annual event. We saw a significant decrease in attendance that year, even thoe I pushed the date forward a week to accommodate it was till an incredibly shitty move that I hold you responsible for. This move alone screwed up a bunch of ppls vacations etc they had put in for to attend this event all week etc. This is just one choice of many you have made over the last couple years that are pushing wurm in the wrong direction. We are not teenagers you can just shuffle around.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, joedobo said:

Hopefully the comment is that WO gets ideas from WU. Given the direction that WO seems to be going I am not convinced anything positive would come of WU "improvements" and I think WU continuing to be ignored might be the best thing at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

Hopefully the comment is that WO gets ideas from WU. Given the direction that WO seems to be going I am not convinced anything positive would come of WU "improvements" and I think WU continuing to be ignored might be the best thing at the moment.

The comment about WU is edited out now.

I've been thinking more on this post, about what it means to learn from your mistakes, and the difference between constructive, productive failure and reckless failure.

Learning from one's mistakes is perfectly well and good, it's a natural part of advancing a project that you'll step in it a few times along the way as you feel out the boundaries of what works and what does not work.

What's not normal or productive is making crucial, easy to avoid mistakes at every single turn, through a lack of understanding of the product, through a lack of due care and diligence, and through a reluctance to communicate with or seek the guidance of the people around you who have a level of familiarity with the product that far surpasses your own.

So far, this is exactly what Krister has managed to do in his involvement with Wurm. One or two careless missteps of this kind can be excused in the name of politeness and good faith, but this is by now a well-established pattern of ignorance and unforced error. These sorts of mistakes are not attributable to the unique difficulties of this role, rather they are easily attributed to his own lack of care and disinterest in the wisdom that others have to offer him. My honest assessment at this point is that Krister is either woefully unsuited to the task of understanding Wurm as a product, or thinks that he can bluff his way through needing to understand it and replace anyone who presents themselves as an obstacle to his "bull in a china shop" approach.

tl;dr: Acknowledging your mistakes is nothing more than a rude handwave if you turn around and simply repeat the same mistakes.

• Like 15

tbh it makes it really hard to want to log in and keep putting time and money into the game, with how quickly things have been upended since Kristers original post in June. Its hard to want to make that slow and steady progress that I dont have confidence that some next giant mess will come along

• Like 6