Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

Jackal 2 when?

#jackaltwoElectricBoogaloo

Edited by lelovito
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, lelovito said:

#jackaltwoElectricBoogaloo

At least this is on a forum where a goodly proportion of members are old enough to get the reference.

I would love another Jackal or heck any temp server with weird settings.

• Like 2

did we get a permanent title ever that transfered back to freedom from jackal? cause i was there for all beginning and final fight and i dont see any...?

Let's go to Sol this time, i bet that will be fun!

• Cat 1

never because they earn enough money without it

6 hours ago, wipeout said:

jackal 2 when bump

As much fun as Jackal was I'd say any work on addressing the issues for Jackal 2 would likely take a fair amount of time, and it's likely the decision has been made that that time is better spent working on the things already mentioned they want to work on re: new player experience, ux polish, and general tightening up of some neglected features

I wrote it several times: Reviving Jackal, as much as I would like it, would touch the subject of Cluster unification. Same with Epic access for all.

Either one creates further bandaids and disgusting and technically awful code splits, along with new avenues for abuse and exploit to be stuffed  with lots of effort and disgust in the community, only to make such a revival viable.

Or one resolves the issue of community split once and forever. This is unlikely and not even desirable before the roadmap goals for this year are met. I hope a lot, though, that there will be work in that direction.

There have been enough terrible changes like the mining/woodcutting nerf, the priest nerfs, and several other ones (rarity stealth changes) which have caused anger and discontent in the community, and solely caused by the now dysfunctional community split. They have swallowed dev and team worktime which could have been used for better purposes.

3 hours ago, Archaed said:

As much fun as Jackal was I'd say any work on addressing the issues for Jackal 2 would likely take a fair amount of time, and it's likely the decision has been made that that time is better spent working on the things already mentioned they want to work on re: new player experience, ux polish, and general tightening up of some neglected features

It is not like we need a proper functioning end game event like was originally promised and then canned because of drama, a new map some qol changes to make starting out less of a hassle(make everyone spawn with a pelt like we had issues with until later on and stuff)

The existing gameplay was good enough for a 3-6 month distraction server that could be run once in a while on a brand new map and it was a big enough cash grab(look at all the deeds and prem sold) that it would work again with jackal 3 having new content where as 2 would just be like 1 but with the qol 1 got throughout its lifetime being there from the start

It is the idea of jackal that made a lot of people want to play it that push to fight back a common enemy that wasnt a player exploiting the scale of lib or driving a cart up 300 steep slope or walking through cave walls to steal your loot or easy to kill mobs that made people want to go there but a lot quit due to lag and issues starting out

If the launch of j2 has the qol j1 had at the end and more performance to make sure it doesnt lag itself to death with crashes then the rest is worth playing yet again and exploring a lot more of

So much of j1's land was never tamed or even really explored and the only change id ask for is a bigger map with a central start point where instead of difficulty increasing towards a fortress that was never coded in it increases the further away you are from claimed land being the only way to make it more difficult

And its not like im asking for j2 tomorrow this year is the year of qol as it should be but the idea of event servers like jackal is an avenue wurm has tried in half ass attempts time and time again and then go "see it doesnt work" because they never gave it a proper follow up or proper time for it to make it be a proper event server its always "we got this deadline oh we dont have features ready oh well lets release it anyway" kinda thing

So if j2 happens in 3-4 years or 5-6 so be it i just want the possibility of j2 to become a reality as event servers like that are a great way for extra cash and give the players something fun to do for a few weeks/months every once in a while and do not require thaaat much new content every time

When originally proposed i talked about how they could do a big little approach where j1 is a big update j2 is a small one j3 is a big one and on and on it goes so that j2 j4 j6 would be refining on the idea's of j1 3 5 without many major changes just taking the qol that was added through the run of the last one and seeing how it works if its done from the start so that you got a great base setup for the next iteration without screwed data of a shitty launch

So ya not asking a entire new system that would take "precious" dev time away this year nor does it have to happen this year its more so a thing of the idea of event servers would scratch that itch for a lot of players

Just recently a topic about a yearly resetting pvp server came up again as well there clearly is a idea that people want some resetting type of wurm content and event servers like jackal and others like it could be that thing to do

Want a dev intensive one? make the players be able to go to valrei and join in on the battles between the gods, events that happen at set times in pvp battle area's that are spawned in the cells according to the valrei map where the gods are at either fighting between religions or between players vs monster waves while their god supports them and when those events arent going players are urged to skill up and grind for better gear and using the rewards of battles won to make better gear

That would be a intensive development cycle to create but taking existing j1 idea scrap the end game castle boss fight and just make it in survival style where jackal mobs try to reclaim area's the players secured by attacking towers and if towers are destroyed deeds will disband within 24 hours if no tower chain is connected to it(upkeep refunded of course) would not take that much dev time and would be a fun PVE event server

• Like 3

@HotsMight i point your direction to here this seems to be what you might want ;)

What killed Jackal events? Why next jackal seasons were canceled? IMO because steam-dream. Dreams about thousands new players from steam. Same thousands of players who bounced off the wall caled tutorial. Same players left bad critiques on steam. What did we get instead of Jackal (Jackal 2, Valrei, Haven, Seris)? Remove RMT, deity revolution, few another NFI servers similar as old SFI, crazy nfi economy? How many players on NFI are same old players from SFI, just made another toon to feel something fresh what we felt on Jackal (no roads, no maps, no compass)?

Do you remember what item was most valuable at start? Simple pelt :P.

Who was in love when first time saw jackal trees, sky, or weta?

Who still miss for weta?

Who dreamed to take sprout of jackal tree to Wurm, or even shaft?

OK, was big massive boom on start, was great final battle, but I remember months of empty server, every time when I logged and system said "1 other player are online. You are on Jackal".

Check your achievement "The First"

qOzEseM.jpg

My is in 99% from Jackal.

I spent 6 months on Jackal wondering why is so empy here? Is so beautifull server, so fresh and difrent from all other knows. Is about lost exp?

I wish to back to Jackal. Wish leave footprint on Seris and others. But, looks like is project which is at the bottom of the drawer, overwhelmed by other greats ideas and projects.

Jackal has bad time of birth. Time of connect Wurm to Steam.

Thanks for refresh topic, even leads to nothing. Evokes nostalgia for the most beautiful days in the Wurm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xagru said:

I spent 6 months on Jackal wondering why is so empy here? Is so beautifull server, so fresh and difrent from all other knows. Is about lost exp?

Why it was empty? Same reason challenge and epic failed big promises made but insanely buggy launch/lack of follow up made people give up quickly add in drama and half finished state just lead to people going "why bother" :(

I spend a lot of time on jackal got multiple skills up to 70-90+ destroyed a LOT of camps made a lot of roads to dive deeper into the world spend like 90% underground tunneling away on highway projects that didnt get anywhere as the rest of my group fell apart also due to drama 😕

I just hope they will give the idea of event servers another try as it got such good promise and would be a great test bed for what could be controversial changes

Let us not forget that many of us postponed Jackal because

• there was no or awfully buggy skill retransfer
  • road blocks like missing pelts
  • the prospect of further rounds with a better debugged and balanced Jackal

The pelt issue made me leave Jackal. I could not improve further and was not willing to pay up to 5s for a pelt. As there is a pelt in the starter set now this issue is gone.

Skill development and retransfer should be simple. Maybe double progress rate, and half of the amount gained to be retransferred. Of course, a progress to skill 50 in e.g. blacksmithing would be barely visible for one with BS 99.* in Freedom, that should be clear. But the skill mess added a lot of frustration back then.

All deficiencies of Jackal #1 had been consoled with the prospect of future better rounds. If there is any Jackal revival, and I hope it will be, it should be clear that the promise won't be broken again.

Remains the problem with the cluster divide. Any Jackal for all would lead to a North <-> South silver laundering hell, or terrible hacks and bandaids to prevent it, cementing the already existing wrong and evil code split. So cluster divide removal before Jackal revival.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xagru said:

Do you remember what item was most valuable at start? Simple pelt :P.

Who was in love when first time saw jackal trees, sky, or weta?

Who still miss for weta?

Who dreamed to take sprout of jackal tree to Wurm, or even shaft?

Me!  I am totally with you.  Jackal was amazing.  Starting from scratch, with absolutely nothing; wandering around foraging and rummaging for the most basic materials to make crude tools (finding a branch or a rock shard was like winning the lottery); everyone crowding around the forges, crafting armor and tools and weapons; setting off into the wild on foot...the sense of adventure was one of the most compelling and memorable experiences I've had in this game or any other (with the only real competitor being the launch of NFI).

I miss Wetas the most.  They were so much fun to ride, and oddly endearing despite the fact that they were basically just enormous bugs.  In addition to being able to climb 50 slope, I recall them being exceptionally fast, but the wiki page does not mention this...am I just imagining things?  Anyway, if we can't do Jackal again, I wish they'd at least consider bringing wetas to the current servers.  Seems like such a sad waste of an existing asset.

For those unfamiliar, this is more or less what the "starting from scratch" experience was on Jackal:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guides:Starting_with_Nothing )

Here is some general info on Jackal and the new mobs and resources we found there:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Jackal

Info on wetas (with a pic):  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Weta

12 hours ago, wipeout said:

Why it was empty? Same reason challenge and epic failed big promises made but insanely buggy launch/lack of follow up made people give up quickly add in drama and half finished state just lead to people going "why bother" :(

Maybe the devs also ended up thinking "why bother" since all anyone could do was ###### and whine about Jackal while it was actually going on.  The prospect of going through all of that again may perhaps be anti-motivational. 

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The pelt issue made me leave Jackal. I could not improve further and was not willing to pay up to 5s for a pelt. As there is a pelt in the starter set now this issue is gone.

Except we didn't get a starter set on Jackal.  And if they do ever reboot it, I sincerely hope that aspect won't change.  There is not much point to Jackal if they're going to just hand us everything for free like we're a bunch of incompetent dunces.  We might as well just stay on Wurm.

In the beginning only a few people could get pelts so yes, they were expensive, which frankly is as it should be.  You had to WORK to get a pelt early on.  You had to be willing to take risks.  Otherwise you had to be willing to pay, or you had to get by without one.  And the longer you went without, the sweeter the moment was when you finally snagged one on your own.  This all seems right to me.  Prices dropped as time went on until eventually there was basically no market for them at all, IIRC.

The allure of Jackal, for me, was that it was more challenging, dangerous, and difficult than my ultra-comfortable, ho-hum life on Wurm, at least at first.  Six months was almost too long, because by that point everyone was established enough that the experience wasn't that different from regular WO.  

So yeah - Jackal was awesome.  Hope they bring it back but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Minnie said:

The allure of Jackal, for me, was that it was more challenging, dangerous, and difficult than my ultra-comfortable, ho-hum life on Wurm, at least at first.  Six months was almost too long, because by that point everyone was established enough that the experience wasn't that different from regular WO. 

Yes, agreed. That made my Jackal life best adventure in Wurm life. I felt a bit like on Jackal (w/o beautifil view) for few hours after open NFI, but wasnt same. On jackal I had to make everything from nothing. Was my personal goal for make it full fun. In second season I think would buy some stuff, but only for move to wild eariler.

I've learned a few things I didn't know in Wurm because I have constant access to every tool. Like how to find directions w/o map and compass.

I think regular Jackal season shouldnt be longer than 3 months. That could make it season event. And reward - i spent all time on Jackal totaly neglecting my wurm stuff, because I loved that. But more motivation could be something more special, not only few new skins. I remember when I felt the degradation of satisfaction when everybody can grab all skins (random, but still) from token. I paid blood and sweat form my skins and now everybody may grab them for few silvers/points? OK, nvm, I think about something special reward, like full set and unique pet in Diablo 3 for finish season, something what u cannot buy or sell - Jackal Trophy to be obtrained only by get some Jackal achievements.

OvQhEMu.jpg

Jackal was survival mmo sandbox.

Edited by Xagru
  • Like 4

Bumperino after all in the day and age where they want more silver jackal's cycling maps of people having to redeed and thus buy more silver is exactly what they need and want ;)

And jackal wouldn't need that much development time to begin with

• Like 1

It seems odd to me that there's a known system that has (with a little bit of lead up work) known hype, something that can be announced on press websites easily, and generates ongoing excitement and replayability being left to gather dust. I understand that in the devs timeframes it might not be something they want to pick up immediately, but Krister should be very enthusiastic about launching a new Jackal round purely for noteworthiness 

• Like 3

Forget Jackal throw a Challenge server up.

• Like 2

I'd love a Jackal 2. And for Jackal to be the thing it was promised to be: A recurring challenge server event.

When I was a newbie back in 2020 after the Steam launch and was in the obsessive, read everything I can on wurmpedia phase, I found the entry about Jackal.

It still had the original promise of being an every 6 months challenge server, sounded incredibly exciting, and so I took to CA Help to ask when the next launch of it would be.

Getting met with the general attitude of disappointment and "This is how it goes" was very sad as a new player.

I got to go from "Wow that sounds amazing, I can't wait to try it out" to "Oh. This game makes promises and then abandons them? That's probably a bad sign." just when I was at peak excitement to play.

@KristerAny thoughts on this old, dead, very popular feature? Would it be as easy to revive as people hope and believe it is? Or did the assets from Jackal 1 get deleted at some point?

Edited by Aleck

19 hours ago, Holar said:

Forget Jackal throw a Challenge server up.

Why not both? 6 months each, one starts in January, the other July

Year round profit increase for the game from all the reprems and new deeds

• Like 2

Challenge was fun - the best pvp cos there were no spells or priests needed. I still remember a fight we had with no armor, noob weapons and on nthe back of carts, was so much fun compared to now where you ahve to be a priest. Wish we could eliminate priests being needed to pvp now......

On 4/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, Rauros said:

Let's go to Sol this time, i bet that will be fun!

I sense some adamant boots of fire protection may be needed, and perhaps some new water or ice spells XD

a live off the land server. increased XP increased rare chance, aim is to get the best skillbase in 5 months. prizes for top 10 like a title and an extra SB slot. some skins maybe.
No deeds no trade allowed you can only use what you make.

Maybe with three lives to make it even more challenging

Edited by Octetsefune