Sign in to follow this  
LaRue

Why did/didn't you move to Xanadu?

I am not saying your paranoia is unwarranted :P

Currently quite a few new Xanadu residents, keep deeds on multiple servers. Some from pure nostalgia, because they have owned them for many years and they love them. Some keep them for villagers and friends who did not want to move to Xan. Or as a backup in case they do not like Xanadu. Some keep them for the traders they are not allowed to acquire on Xanadu. Some are left in the hands of caretaker alts -- some of those pay premium silver each month, others are allowed to downgrade as F2P caretaker alts.   It appears the servers themselves do not cost Rolf very much to run. Its possible that due to multiple deeds, multiple character accounts, that these might encourage people to spend more silvers than they would if Xanadu were the lone server. There is also the question of legacy traders -- would Rolf have to refund all of those,  if people paid Real Cash for them? What would that cost him?  It may not matter. 

I am not alarmed today, but I could easily panic tomorrow 

omgcv3.gif

I would be alarmed primarily if Rolf ever sold the game to a "real" businessman. Currently Rolf gets to do exactly as Rolf wants to do, and like it or not we get to live with that. Ironically, most of us actually  like that, much more than we know.  I think right now Rolf likes keeping all the several server types going. Epic and Chaos and big servers and tiny servers. Being a pure businessman has never seemed to be his top motivation, and  the multiple servers may not cost very much to run, and may bring in more extra silver than appears at first glance.

I would be terrified however if Rolf ever sold the game. Not just for losing the legacy servers, and thius my Indy home, but for losing a world run by a crazy swedish taxi driver waving a bottle of brännvin.

I suspect at that stage, losing the legacy servers would be the least of my concerns. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Brash, I actually agree pretty much 100% with what you said.

Perhaps my stance has been influenced by the dealing OF big business gaming companies.

While I'd welcome the resources that a big development house would bring, complete with teams of developers, change management systems, issue tracking, full implementation of features from inception to completion, I suspect the soul of the game would be lost.

The ability for Rolf to do as he wishes though can also be a dual edged longsword (he's like...guys..I'm right here..I can hear you!)

Better to do it now, you will eventually anyway.

Every time I debate with myself on this subject, this is always the conclusion I come to. And I hate it.

This thread is gong south fast

Nonsense. Xanadu is not to the south.

• Like 1

of a server nobody really wanted 

:mellow:

The hyperbolic paranoia once again arises to the surface of a fearful contemplation. Never once did I consider in my move to Xanadu a future impending doom of the other PvE servers vanishing from these lands, nor do I now consider it to even be a remote possibility. Yet this underground current still persists, even when it was disproven to be pointedly false now that Xanadu has come into existence. Remember the popular paranoia of doom at the time was that upon its opening the other PvE servers would begin their announced closure.

Planning for what may never be is just the popular insurance salesman's ploy. I suggest others not buy into it but seeing the popularity of the sales of "rare" items within this game, I suppose it should come as no surprise.

*presses your head to the rail*

Do you hear that Mr Wurmian? That is the sound of inevitability. That is the sound of your servers death! ~The Wurm Matrix~

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I moved to Xanadu.

I was on celebration for a couple years, invested a ton in raising land from the ocean, then even more making a giant hill to build a castle on.

I moved because I saw Xan as an inevitability. I, like a few others in here, figure they will start shutting down the other servers sooner or later.

I also moved because I wanted to grab a really good spot, a very specific spot. If I had waited it would have been gone; even second day as it turns out.

I think servers are like a piece of fruit, and at some point they get over-ripe, with the decaying ruins of a hundred abandoned deeds in the same places, until the land looks foul. The spot I lived at on indy from its first day was beautiful ... I passed it the other day and it is some torn up nonsense now.

Deeds come, deeds go if you play long enough from what I can see. If my character can travel with me there's no real loss in that sense far as I'm concerned.

Besides: Due to mob count, old servers still have draw. I think we'll see them repopulate a bit as Xan starts to fill in (and it is filling in on the coastlines by now, certainly for easy terraform locations)

Edited by Sevenless

I like the people on my home server, I like the hunting. I'm a breeder with 5s stock I'd have to replace if I moved over. I also have coastal property.

Xanadu just makes Freedom chat GL chat 2.0 I much prefer the smaller community.

Pretty much this. Even when I sold my deed on Pristine and I founded a small one on Xanadu, I really really love my homeserver. I'm working on Xanadu with alliance members on a big deed project which was for me the reason to go. 

regards,

Capi (Community Assistant)

My stuff cant be stolen, i cant be killed by other players and my deed cannot be raided. I cant play a game when everything is safe, it makes no sense to play then, at least for me.

• Like 1

The hyperbolic paranoia once again arises to the surface of a fearful contemplation. Never once did I consider in my move to Xanadu a future impending doom of the other PvE servers vanishing from these lands, nor do I now consider it to even be a remote possibility. Yet this underground current still persists, even when it was disproven to be pointedly false now that Xanadu has come into existence. Remember the popular paranoia of doom at the time was that upon its opening the other PvE servers would begin their announced closure.

Even if the smaller servers are never closed, if nobody plays on them, what's the difference?

Certainly, some people like to be alone, so there will always be a small population on these servers, but for players who want to have others to play with, a zombie server is still a dead server to them.

My stuff cant be stolen, i cant be killed by other players and my deed cannot be raided. I cant play a game when everything is safe, it makes no sense to play then, at least for me.

No PVP, no 2x skill gain.

Even if the smaller servers are never closed, if nobody plays on them, what's the difference?

Certainly, some people like to be alone, so there will always be a small population on these servers, but for players who want to have others to play with, a zombie server is still a dead server to them.

Check the graphs, only less than a third have moved to Xanadu (in average), and its not likely that people will move now, those that wanted, mostly have moved already.

Edited by KanePT

Why I stayed on Exodus:

• I have a big village here - I would lost many months of work if I would move somethere else
  • Many alliance members stay on Exodus
  • I don't like Xanadu terrain - too much mountains, not enough islands, lack of any characteristic points
  • Too long travel times

i love my island too much and i refuse to move. Also folks on indy are awsome, got a good alliance, good friends, great resources, all the shiney land and sea id need. Simple put, there is nothing on xan for me.

just move it...  i disband all deeds on all other servers gone to xanadu start deed at glasshollow now i offering plots to new players...  every new start is better start... so move your ass here xanadu is future, all move here now only visit traders on old servers :D

since i get here i got into upkeep 1 year    and in my premium time 1 year as well(for less then 70€)...  

Edited by RockyBalboa

Well, if you move to have a market for your bred creatures, you're moving for economical reasons rather than your ability to breed animals :P

Personally, I don't feel that Xanadu, though it's impressive size, has something new to offer me, except for a more lively trade. But the outlook of making more money, or make some money more regularly is not enough to make me move, money has never been a driving force for me, or something that influenced my decisions.

I still live in the same place I put a deed down when the server opened a little over 5 years ago, and I guess I can say that I've grown emotionally attached to it. I like my neighbours for the most part, and the little nags that the place has do not have any weight when I'd ask myself if I should move somewhere else or not.

I don't like to move a lot either, and never did, except from JK Home to MR Home and then being forced to Independence because of the server closure. But I guess that's a personality question, I do like to settle for solid home rather than living like a nomad, or start all over again with new places.

I'd probably miss kchat, too.

Your only concern that I'd have to agree with though, is the question whether or not they will simply be shutting down some servers, maybe on short notice even, reasoning with low pop or so. That would be a tug on the balls.

Edited by Ulviirala

I think I was drunk or delusional when I moved. Becoming more glad by the day that I didn't disband my deeds on the other servers because I think all my doubts about Xanadu's size being impractical are proving to be true. 

The only nice thing about it, besides the views, is not having anyone in my local. I can count on one hand the ppl who I've even seen pass through. 

• Like 2

go try it.

I hated it because:

I found the map hell to ride around on to get to one side to the other. It was very much valley enclosed by mountains, so you can't ride from one side to another.. which I love doing... we have these cool carts etc now but were still forced to use a boat to go anywhere. when I go on a hunting trip I like to be able to just ride all around the map and you can't do that with Xanadu because mountains constantly block you. 

I hated how I couldn't have a trader on my deed. if I want some SB or a twig or something else I want to be able to grab it from my trader not have to go all the way to the start deed. I wouldn't of cared if he made the so you can only buy from them and not sell to them, that would have been fine. 

although the map is large which I like, Most of it seams unusable due to insane slopes and far far too many cliffs and mountains everywhere. I do like the many lakes though.  may be one giant mountain and most of the rest of it flat/rolling hills instead of the huge amount. 

The size will feel like less on a five speed geared horse once a few tunnels are built. :)

• Like 2

TLDR

The only reason to move to Xanadu is for a larger population and a consolidated server. The only reason to not come to Xanadu is because you like where you are and that's perfectly fine. 

Was told my prem would be paid for if I'd come support a friend. Can't resist playing for free, so I agreed.

Complaining about the lack of roads and tunnels is, quite frankly, stupid. Lets ignore the completely obvious, and move to a wild and unsettled map, and expect the most glorious of highways and roads magically be there! I can but /facepalm.

• Like 2