Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Hey we need Hay

So I have been cracking out on the animal breeding and feeding for the past few months, and it seems to me that we're missing the ability to convert tall grass, or grasses we've cut and stored, into hay for animal feeding.

Even if it's something as simple as changing the "pile of mixed grass" graphic into a hay bale when dropped onto a tile in sufficient quantity, that would do SO much to increase the immersion and feel of having a farm in Wurm.

Or you could go as far as adding a new grass type, or an extra height level for existing grass, and new tools to accompany the hay.  We already have the scythe and string, we just need pitchforks and horse drawn "mowers" (used in late 18'th century) to complete the theme.

It seems to me that planting crops in order to feed our livestock is more of a bandaid around an underdeveloped aspect of the game.  Hay SHOULD be the preferred method, as it's densely packed and should last longer than a grass tile being grazed.  As other aspects of keeping animals rewards you for more attention paid to them, so should feeding them yourself have rewards.

I know it sounds silly, but working with hay and feeding it to my grandfathers cows is one of my most vivid childhood memories.  Feeding pixels isn't the same, I know, but it would add so much depth and realism to Wurm with very little effort.

Edited by Proximo
  • Like 18

I would keep my breeding horses in a large barn with stalls if there was an efficient way to feed them. I can enchant the grass before i set the house plans but if it gets packed there is no way to fix it because it is in the house. If the hay was done right where it would last a few days maybe more than for sure. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 4

Good thinking Kegan, I wasn't even considering the use of barns!  That has great potential.

Yes I'm thinking the hay should last a few days or so, because it's VERY densely packed grasses.

Edited by Proximo

Here is a pic to give an idea on what would be cool and it is not to far off they already have plans on putting in fence on the first floor i think and with the hay it would be nice. Maybe even a new wall type like a half door or something but anyway..

BarnNew_008.jpg?1320896551

BarnNew_006.jpg?1320896440

• Like 11

I would keep my breeding horses in a large barn with stalls if there was an efficient way to feed them. I can enchant the grass before i set the house plans but if it gets packed there is no way to fix it because it is in the house. If the hay was done right where it would last a few days maybe more than for sure. 

Ah Kegan, after seeing that I now feel I'll NEVER be happy with Wurm until I can have a barn as you depicted  :lol:

Isn't hay and straw kind of the same thing?

I'm fine with straw, as long as it achieves the same result.

I'd love this, or maybe mangers that could be filled that would broadcast the food over larger distances. This would be super helpful for pigs, and hens/roosters.

Isn't hay and straw kind of the same thing?

No, hay is animal food made from grasses, straw is made from grain stalks with little nutritional value. As far as animals are concerned, straw is generally used for bedding, not food.
  • Like 2

Wasn't there a way to use sickles on long grass to make something you could feed horses and cows?  Was it removed, or am I having a memory fail?

+1 Then we need a horse drawn bailer for tile after tile of tall wild grass. :-) 

• Like 1

+1 Then we need a horse drawn bailer for tile after tile of tall wild grass. :-) 

Exactly!

I'm not a farmer, I don't LIKE to farm.  So I would much rather make hay all day if it saved me from managing crops just to feed my animals.