Sign in to follow this  
Proximo

Hey we need Hay

yes would feedem more, however deed ratios done a pretty good job against animal hoarding.. can use it to scarecrows, straw hats have bales of hay as a decoration that can be placed anywhere. Also if people really wanted to hoard animals, pretty easy to do, just costly or they do it off deed, ofc without the fcc now, we can free these animals.    sounds fun.

Ratio still mitigates hoarding to an extent, easier feeding while I don't think would encourage hoarding may help players who take breaks from having animals starve so in a sense perhaps would drain wild animal count a bit. No more then enchanted grass does already though.

• Like 1

What would the effect be of adding hay?

Much easier to keep livestock alive for a longer time without work leads more animal hoarding leads to less domestic animals around in the wild.

Would crowding diseases etc mitigate this effect?

What other negative effects could occur?

If hay was as complex to make as any of current equivalent crops, it would be a no brainer, but then what is the purpose except the decorative effects?

• Could be used in place of those crazy amounts of packed tiles some people are seeing

As a replacement/supplement for the enchanted grass tiles - Both are pros and cons

Ratio and the enhanced disease mechanics already offset a large portion of hoarding issues

Materials could be used in new forms of items (as stated by other examples)

Limitation could be hay is only used as food when in the feeder, and only 1 feeder per X tiles (like the animal ratio now works) or per Y animals

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

Much easier to keep livestock alive for a longer time without work leads more animal hoarding leads to less domestic animals around in the wild.

If hay was as complex to make as any of current equivalent crops, it would be a no brainer, but then what is the purpose except the decorative effects?

1. It would make it easier to keep animals fed in pens for longer periods without having to do daily boring replanting of crops etc.

2. The animal ratio on deed already stops animal hoarding. If you are on a PVP the whole sale slaughter of horses in most PVP encounters stops animal hoarding.

3. Animal ratio on deed already covers this effect for animal hoarding.

4. There is no real need for negative effects. I do not know if I have stressed this enough. The animal ratio on deed stops animal hoarding problems. If the animals are stored off deed they are at risk for diseases/miscarriage/being killed.

5. If you plant hay you get at least 1 hay bundle per tile. This feeds an animal for close to a week. If I harvest a tile of grain I get seeds. Each seed MIGHT feed one horse for half a day.

Hay basically lets me use the field for animal feed at the cost of losing production of people food. I can raise hay for a few weeks/days and BSB them for long term storage. You then get to convert the field to people food production.

We have FSBs for the long term storage of people food. So I do not have to harvest and make food every few days for myself. We are just doing the same for animals. I simply cook for myself every few days pulling food from the FSB. If I have hay I just pull a bundle from the BSB every few days and slap it in the hay feeder.

All hay and its storage does is allow me to plan my time for animal upkeep needs INSTEAD of it being a daily chore. It lets us approach it in the same manner as people food.

It would also let us store animals inside a barn. Which would be nice for expensive animals(like highly bred warhorses in gear).

• Like 1

First off I don't like the whole "hoarding" monicker attached to ranchers in a supposed sandbox game.  The "Hoarding" issue was fixed by doubling the animal spawn number, NOT the ratio.  And if people are willing to put in the work to maintain a large animal herd, I see no reason why the community should choose to treat them unkindly.

Secondly I'm not asking for it to be "easier" to maintain animals.  Farming hay and the creating of bales or bundles could end up being even more work than planting crops to feed animals.  But it would be worth it IMO.  Both in immersion and realism of Wurm, as well as game play.

Also, yes, it would be nice if I could take a few days off from Wurm if I had to, or god forbid a week, and know I'll still have animals alive when I get back.  Right now that's not even an option, ESPECIALLY with the crazy AI issues.

Well actually Plebian already addressed your questions much in the same way I would, so no point in me being redundant.

I would also add that another benefit to hay would be land reclamation.  Right now with the lack of barns players are basically forced to plant crops and use those to feed their animals.  Which means a ungodly amount of real estate is being used to maintain animals when far more efficient methods like hay and hay feeders, or BSB-storable hay, could be adopted.

• Like 2

What would the effect be of adding hay? For me a way to feed inside of a "barn" with wooden floors kind of like the enchanted grass version of drop feeding

Would crowding diseases etc mitigate this effect? Well with the ratio in place and everything else do we really need anything new to offset this?

What other negative effects could occur? I don't see a reason to have any it is just another option to feeding outdoors since we can not plant grass inside.

If hay was as complex to make as any of current equivalent crops, it would be a no brainer, but then what is the purpose except the decorative effects? To have a way to feed animals indoors for prolonged times like explained in question one just think of it as the enchanted grass version of dropping food plus i am sure some would use it for decorative use only so win win. 

I have answered the questions you asked in your quote but for me i am wanting a way to have a proper horse stable with inside stalls and since we can not plant grass we can not really do this without dropping piles of grass. Now granted i have never tried that but i would guess it would require a lot of grass so we need a better solution. Just think of hay as the enchanted grass of dropping food on the floor like i have stated in my responses. Also with all the ratio and disease i don't see a need to regulate or add in any new bad effects with it. If a player leaves the game when they are using hay the animals will starve much faster i would imagine anyway. 

Another option would be to just allow us to plant grass in houses so people can replace the enchanted grass when it gets packed. It might also be nice to leave the flowers for some people to just have green spaces in their houses.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

1. add new farm crop...alfalfa.

2. alaphalf is converted into a hay bale.

3. This bale has special feeding mechanism that only provided enough food to keep the animal at fat.

There's a problem with piles of food on the ground. Animals will eat far more then they need to stay at fat.

• Like 1

Idea:

What about you are being able to dry mixed grass. Drying mixed grass in a campfire would be nice. First you should collect some grass, put it in a campfire for a short time (this creates hay), use a string of cloth on it and this will make a hay bale. Hay bales can be stored for a longer time than mixed grass.

There needs to be a better way to acquire hay though. Mixed grass only comes in bits of 0.05kg. Being able to harvest a hay field and get bundles of hay weighing perhaps 0.5kg or even 1kg each would be much simpler.

Well I'm trying to go with a bit of realism here, so throwing grass into a fire to "dry" it wouldn't be my first option :P

But if that's what the devs have to do to give us hay, oh well, I would do it lol.

+1 I would like to see hay bundles as well with a feeder or trough implemented as well. I only have so much time to play and feeding and tending takes more time than I would want it too so I can try other things with the rest of the time that I have to play. Also I loved the pics of the barn ideas, would definitely improve the farmers' deeds as well as space management so if I wanted a barn solely for milking and for prized horses and then a small grazing field for when I'm away. Would make my deed neat, tidy, look good, and save a whole lot of time for other things like exploring etc. Could only use them on deed to prevent off deed barns as well as the implemented troughs and feeders, Kind of how like lawns can only be created on deed.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2014 at 3:02 PM, Zcul said:

Thank you for acknowledging potential negatives.

My main concern with hay primarily stems from overcrowding and mass breeding of animals as if yours. I do feel like the deed animal ration may be a fix for that but in a theoretical sense there is a limited number of creatures that can truly exist on a server whether that is a soft cap or a hard cap. I just thinking having an easily harvestable and fullfilling new crop like this will create more problems than it is worth.

It's not like horses eat from bales anyways, they get the hay served a bit fluffy like it is now.

+1 horses do eat bales.  Just cut the twine and leave it out for them to graze on.  Grew up with real horses as my grandparents had almost 50 of them.  

Aside from that, it always seemed odd a game with so much farming in it didn't have hay bales and hay barns.