Sign in to follow this  
Anacrusis

Will You Create A Character On The 'pristine' Server When It Goes Live On Dec 12?

Will you create a character on the 'pristine' server when it goes live on Dec 12?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Will you create a character on the 'pristine' server when it goes live on Dec 12?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you expect to stay on the new 'pristine' server?

• Yes
    • Probably
    • Probably not
    • No

With Wurm 1.0 go live announced for Dec 12, we've seen plenty of discussion regarding player opinions on the newly announced server. Instead, I am more curious as to whether or not people plan on making a character on this new server. Hence this poll.

This thread is not for a discussion about whether or not a new PvE server is needed; nor is it for discussion why this is may be a good or bad idea.

Quite simply: will you make a character on the new server on Dec 12? Why or why not?

Edited by Anacrusis

No, because if I find a "perfect spot" I'll be tempted to stay, and I have too much invested in my current deed to leave. :)

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

I went to celebration when that opened, and even set up not one but two deeds. Not even a month later I came back to Deliverance. I'd like to think I learned my lesson, Deliverance is home. ;)

• Like 1

No dragons to make hundreds off of, I'm out!

Just kidding, but no real interest in starting over again, and it's not a PvP server. I mean, I understand that appeal and fun of starting fresh, but I think that only lasts a few weeks before you're going to realize you were better off back on Freedom. You can't replicate that feeling of being a noob and making your first shack, it's not the same. I really just don't see who this server really is targeted and appealing to.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 1

I really just don't see who this server really is targeted and appealing to.

My guess, is the new players who will come to check out 1.0 - and those who don't like to pick through other peoples left overs and want an 'undeveloped' server, which are more than we may think. :)

I will visit this server with an account. But I will not live up there.

Yes because I know from past games I suffer altitis, but I see this as a true opportunity for getting the full newb pioneer experience, new character in a virgin land where the mobs are to be feared rather than rez spawning into a strip mall and searching mayan ruins and shafted caves for a place to settle and running to tower guards as you look for it. Just to make it more fun I am going to drop my noob toolbox at the spawn. Besides the world ends nine days later so.....

I can multi-client like I do already to keep up my grindy chores on the old freedom deed, in case I find out the rules or people start changing in either place I can disband. Maybe I will finish the boat in time for server reconnection, then colonize with old alts and restart the new alt on the next new server after that. For me I find that survival and build up game the most fun and do not understand peoples rush to an 'end-game' that does not even exist in Wurm.

I am more worried about snafus with 1.0 then issues with the new server. I suspect some will alt in temporarily just for the entertainment of seeing the wall of noob and spider corpses encircling the center spawn, and tons of complaints from those who realize after they newb in that this is not a connected server for their personal colonization land rush.

Edited by yarnevk

My guess, is the new players who will come to check out 1.0 - and those who don't like to pick through other peoples left overs and want an 'undeveloped' server, which are more than we may think. :)

Yeah, but... I don't see anyone new joining. No offense to the PR team or Rolf, but I haven't seen anything about Wurm 1.0 on any other sites. I visit MMORPG websites often (MMOHut, MMORPG forums), but nothing about it. It still just seems like word of mouth. Rolf e-mails people, but only existing members. There's a low outreach to new people who never heard of Wurm, so I can not imagine it filling up much.

I'll be making a new account. Looking forward to that fresh account / server feel, knowing that i can't fall back on an older characters skills if i run into difficulties , or even be able to run to a guard tower on my travels ( at first ) when out looking for somewhere to place a deed :).

Yeah, but... I don't see anyone new joining. No offense to the PR team or Rolf, but I haven't seen anything about Wurm 1.0 on any other sites. I visit MMORPG websites often (MMOHut, MMORPG forums), but nothing about it. It still just seems like word of mouth. Rolf e-mails people, but only existing members. There's a low outreach to new people who never heard of Wurm, so I can not imagine it filling up much.

You do know 1.0 is not out yet right? Why do a 'click to play for free campaign' if they land in the existing world that is not yet updated? Marketing it is something you do after it is out so that you can get those impulsive joiners. Do it now and they will leave when the game was not what was advertised.

• Like 1

I'll make a new character and pop on over to see what it's like, but I doubt I'll be staying. I have too much to do at my current deeds without having to worry about tending to another. Maybe when it opens up to the other servers then I'll plant a deed.

I will definitely be making a new char to check out the server but at this time I am still undecided as to whether or not to stay there. I have two characters currently, one a Vyn priest and the other is everything else. They are developed enough to not want to jack them in (Priest did her first 70 CoC cast today), but still only around 20 played days so not long compared to many players.

But one compelling thing is that I just love fresh new lands... I think it all comes down to the actual server itself. If I can find the perfect spot with all the resources I want, as large as I want etc etc then it could be enough to tempt me to stay but I can't be sure. I'm also considering markets etc - right now I've never made a penny in game because everybody else can always make better stuff but on a new server with everyone on a level playing field there might actually be a market and I would feel more involved.

You do know 1.0 is not out yet right? Why do a 'click to play for free campaign' if they land in the existing world that is not yet updated? Marketing it is something you do after it is out so that you can get those impulsive joiners. Do it now and they will leave when the game was not what was advertised.

Yeah, because it's not out that makes sense not to to advertise it. I mean it's not like you saw a million WoW Mists of Pandas (or whatever) ads before it came out.

..Oh wait.

Seeing as how I already wasted months developing my main guy trying out epic I don't see doing that again.

New servers take more time and attention to play and I really don't want to go through that again.

Being already skilled up and settled has its advantages.

• Like 1

I -just- got to 50 faith on my first Vynora priest, I am having too much fun on Celebration to start over :D

• Like 1

No, I will not spread my focus out further. I already have 2 skilled characters I'm working on making even better. And I'm not the type who gets bored in this game. I can simply dig dirt all day with no music, no YouTube, etc. I say if you need something new or something else then how much fun are you really having?

• Like 1

Voted No to both. Think it is a great idea to let the new players have a clean world. I have room on my plate for one more server and deed so Im in no rush.

I will be staying right where I am at. I got to experience Wurm during a time when the server had huge tracts of land that was unsettled or abandoned. I could spend hours and hours on the JKH server in sections of that map and never see anyone. It was fun and exciting exploring. This new server unfortunatly will probably not give people that same feel of being in the wilderness due to being small and having a large population on opening day. I will do my part to maybe give this chance to someone new to experience the same thing I did by simply being one less person on the server.

Yeah, because it's not out that makes sense not to to advertise it. I mean it's not like you saw a million WoW Mists of Pandas (or whatever) ads before it came out.

..Oh wait.

Considering the way this games gets developed it is probably wise that they decided to wait untill after release and debug to advertise.

No because I don't want to give up what I have now. So much to do. So little time.

Maybe down the road when I complete current projects and when/if another opens.

Edited by Macgregor

Meh I wouldnt for several reasons. Mainly because its not going to be a pvp map, and even then I would be more likely to let newer players have their fun until it was hooked up with the rest of the cluster.

Experiencing a fresh pristine map is a rare joy.

Nothing over there that isn't anywhere else... except maybe a few more ore veins and uniques.