Sign in to follow this  
Maozorz

I Hate Gangnam Style And It Grates On The Very Essence Of My Soul.

When I first saw Gangnam style, I saw the main vid and it had little over 1000 views, I chanced upon it and just thought it was yet another piece of dudu, obviously made in some East Asian country, that meant nothing.

The music was obviously some super, super-recycled crap from a load of other recent crap mainstream tunes, the guy was just some generic fat man doing a boring dance and acting like it's really good when it's not, the whole video looks like it was thought up by an unintelligent, boring, dull child who knows little apart from mainstream music etc.

AND THEN IT SPIRALLED INTO SOMETHING MASSIVE!

To this day I am utterly, utterly confused. Yeah, it's crap, I know that. But what, WHAT, is special about it?!?! I have no idea, it is literally the most run of the mill standard, cookie-cutter crap I have ever ever seen in my life!

I still do not get it, what is the deal?

Does anyone else share my view?

EDIT: Grammah.

Edited by Maozorz
  • Like 1

lol such is the world of internet memes... it's the same thing, I think...

take something stupid and repeat it a million times; people will eat it up.. half of what people love is how easy it is to make fun of the song, but when they're playing it at football games.. now that's just disturbing lol.

The video is awesome. It's like someone tried to make a ripoff of an American 'cool' videoclip that you see on MTV (which are trash), but they always get somethinig slightly wrong (which makes it hilarious). I dont know if hes serious or if its a parody on American videoclips, but its hilarious.

• Like 1

see what i like about it is that its completely random, i have listened to this song before it was so popular XD but now it plays on all the damn radio stations.

The song isnt all that bad if you get it translated

see what i like about it is that its completely random, i have listened to this song before it was so popular XD but now it plays on all the damn radio stations.

i'm afraid to know what he's saying lol

probably about his donkey that he enjoys riding so much

When I first say Gangnam style, I saw the main vid and it had little over 1000 views, I chanced upon it and just thought it was yet another piece of dudu, obviously made in some East Asian country that meant nothing.

The music was obviously some super, super-recycled crap from a load of other recent crap mainstream tunes, the guy was just some generic fat man doing a boring dance and acting like it's really good when it's not, the whole video looks like it was thought up by an unintelligent, boring, dull child who knows little apart from mainstream music etc.

AND THEN IT SPIRALLED INTO SOMETHING MASSIVE!

To this day I am utterly, utterly confused. Yeah, it's crap, I know that. But what, WHAT, is special about it?!?! I have no idea, it is literally the most run of the mill standard, cookie-cutter crap I have ever ever seen in my life!

I still do not get it, what is the deal?

Does anyone else share my view?

I heard that song on the radio, I didn't exactly get it either.

Want a solution for your discontent?

Don't watch youtube. Seriously.

No, I am not joking. I don't watch youtube, I don't download other videos, I don't waste braincells on facebook and I still don't think anyone can hold a decent conversation on twitter.

Afaiac the "social media revolution" is a waste of bandwidth.

I haven't died yet.... and I have much less that annoys me when I use the internet.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 3

It's a parody, just wiki gangnam style, in short:

Gangnam is the hip and classy district of Seoul, much like Beverly Hills. The song is making fun of the wannabe posers that don't get it.

It's actually quite good for Pop (not that I like Pop)

His style is so over the top that it's quite obvious that the trashiness is intentional, which makes it pretty humorous.

That's what makes it so popular, people like it when someone makes fun of something.

The song's supposed to be poking fun at the Gangnam party lifestyle I think. :P I like the song, but I love his moves.

Edited by Wiro

Its just fun to dance :P OPPA GANGNAM STYLE *does weird horse riding thingy dance*

I'm pretty sure it's just about the best song ever written. Full stop. I listen to it every night and I dance the dance on my way to work int he morning everyday.

It's not random! It's like if I were to go to a child and be like (in a funny voice) 'Lalala gliding pizza-sofas in the eeeeeeeevening!' and he laughs, it's like... Okay, the words may have been random but I just intentionally made it random, it's actually not random, it's just obviously and unashamedly trying hard to make someone laugh. Hard to put what I mean into words but it's not random, really. It's like.. It's intentionally random and for that reason it's extra un-random, extra dull. If anyone gets that.

I heard that song on the radio, I didn't exactly get it either.

Want a solution for your discontent?

Don't watch youtube. Seriously.

No, I am not joking. I don't watch youtube, I don't download other videos, I don't waste braincells on facebook and I still don't think anyone can hold a decent conversation on twitter.

Afaik the "social media revolution" is a waste of bandwidth.

I haven't died yet.... and I have much less that annoys me when I use the internet.

Just a suggestion.

Pro-thoughts.

It's a parody, just wiki gangnam style, in short:

Gangnam is the hip and classy district of Seoul, much like Beverly Hills. The song is making fun of the wannabe posers that don't get it.

It's actually quite good for Pop (not that I like Pop)

His style is so over the top that it's quite obvious that the trashiness is intentional, which makes it pretty humorous.

That's what makes it so popular, people like it when someone makes fun of something.

The song is absolutely horrible even for pop IMO, which is already horrible! Of course people like different things and 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' but this is too far for me! I understand that people may like it but I can't help but hate it and i'm an extremely easy-going person!

The trashiness may be intentional but he's trying too hard, it feels very mentally cheap, juvenile. Cheap as well because he has picked an easy target to make fun of that wouldn't be seen as immoral but would be so easy to just pick out of a long list of random things to make fun of that won't really offend anyone.

I'm pretty sure it's just about the best song ever written. Full stop. I listen to it every night and I dance the dance on my way to work int he morning everyday.

*Prays* "Dear God, please let Emoo be joking, please don't let him even be semi-serious with that statement. Amen."

Hahaha.

tl;dr - Gangnam Style is mentally, creatively cheap (not to do with money) and once again it grates on the very essence of my soul

Edited by Maozorz

The video is awesome. It's like someone tried to make a ripoff of an American 'cool' videoclip that you see on MTV (which are trash), but they always get somethinig slightly wrong (which makes it hilarious). I dont know if hes serious or if its a parody on American videoclips, but its hilarious.

This is mostly it, the video portyrays the satirical life of a 'Gangnam' man which one might say is a typical MTV-Man also - Gangnam-gu is a insanely rich area of Seoul in South Korea, basically their Silicon Valley mixed with Beverly Hills - although maybe Dubai is a better comparison - the song is essentially making fun of some of the tossers who live there and think they are better than everyone else, read below if you are really interested:

http://mydearkorea.b...-style-and.html

The trashiness may be intentional but he's trying too hard, it feels very mentally cheap, juvenile. Cheap as well because he has picked an easy target to make fun of that wouldn't be seen as immoral but would be so easy to just pick out of a long list of random things to make fun of that won't really offend anyone.

Sounds like mission accomplished then ;) The song itself is pretty bad (albeit catchy) but the video sortof has meaning (maybe it requires looking into the meaning of the video or living in South Korea to get it thou)

Edited by Gavin

I read that and I completely understand it, it makes a little more sense to me now.

But I still think it sucks beyond belief!

Just a matter of opinion and perception, I guess.

Everyone's got their reasons for liking it. For me its just so over-the-top, its funny. That was my initial reaction before I even learned more about the singer, the subject, or even understood the lyrics.

Not a huge fan of pop music by any means; however, its a song that easily sticks in your head. The moves are easy enough most people can pick them up fast. The cadet version in particular was funny; though, more of a fan of the TF version.

Edited by Klaa

One of the reasons it has taken off such massively in the west is that it came to represent a sort of alternative to mainstream western pop - similar style but totally different execution. We have this pop culture all centered around coolness, spectacle and glamour (Lady Gaga etc) that even mainstream consumers start to feel has gone a bit stale and contrived, then suddenly this silly fat asian dude hops in doing (without realizing it) a pretty much perfect satire of modern pop that can be enjoyed non-ironically.

Creating Gangnam style is basically like scissor-kicking a child.

Everyone's got their reasons for liking it. For me its just so over-the-top, its funny. That was my initial reaction before I even learned more about the singer, the subject, or even understood the lyrics.

That's what I mean, he's TRYING to be so over-the-top you think it's funny and trying hard, to a commercial end!

One of the reasons it has taken off such massively in the west is that it came to represent a sort of alternative to mainstream western pop - similar style but totally different execution. We have this pop culture all centered around coolness, spectacle and glamour (Lady Gaga etc) that even mainstream consumers start to feel has gone a bit stale and contrived, then suddenly this silly fat asian dude hops in doing (without realizing it) a pretty much perfect satire of modern pop that can be enjoyed non-ironically.

Once again, he's trying to do this, he intended for you to feel like that, to a commercial end.

It's as if he (and whoever else made it) were like, 'I know an easy way to play on people's gullibleness and make money! Just do this obvious stuff!' and then they made it, and they really went for it.

I saw it somewhere past a million views or something, idk. Video is funny, at some parts, and the sync they do is great, but doesn't appeal to me. Not so much a fan of mainstream or uber-recycled music.

Uhm, I had nothing against the song but people just went full retarded about it and made me hate it

(am i a hispter now?)

Uhm, I had nothing against the song but people just went full retarded about it and made me hate it

(am i a hispter now?)

No way, you'd be a hipster if you loved the damn thing, lol.