Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

Sailboat Wave Animation

try to open in new tab, maybe that helps.. its a youtube video.

That didn't help, but mentioning it's a youtube video did, was able to search and view it.

Have to agree with other posters, it seems the animation is a little dramatic for the size of the waves, but other than that looks great. I hope it's toned down a little or else staring at some docking areas in villages will just see a ton of boats rolling around.

Looks great! Always fun to see things becoming more true to life :)

Something about the timing reminds me of a boar's breathing for some reason. Is it possible for the boat to go up and down in a less regular rythm? Just curious.

sweet nice work, now lets get the sails to go with the wind XD

I was about to say something on this myself. The swaying motion is good, but it makes it very apparent that the sails are static objects, makes the ship feel less real. On a side note, hook up a pair of bulls to a cart and see how silly they look as they go skipping down the road pulling your cart. Pretty sure we want to avoid that in horses when they get updated.

Very nice!

I hope the 'swinging' is in relation to wind speed?

This please. :)

Been looking at this video more and it may be too much sway. I wonder how it would look with that much sway on a big ship, and especially a harbor full of ships.

Noticed something else: the boat is only rolling and pitching, but it got no heave(up and down movement) at all.

Are you able to dynamically merge several animations? in that case you should try using two animations for the roll and pitch with different length, that way it wouldn't be as monotonous.

• Like 2

Noticed something else: the boat is only rolling and pitching, but it got no heave(up and down movement) at all.

Are you able to dynamically merge several animations? in that case you should try using two animations for the roll and pitch with different length, that way it wouldn't be as monotonous.

That, and I felt that it sways back and forth too suddenly. If possible before swaying back, the animation should slow down a little bit more/slower, as if the momentum from the sway/movement needs to be catched, before the boat can swag the other way.

Edited by Ulviirala

@ 1:06 Are undersea birch forests also included with this? Amoto quaeramus seria ludo, very nice work.

Edited by Rhodes

@ 1:06 Are undersea birch forests also included with this? Amoto quaeramus seria ludo, very nice work.

Thats a specialty to the test server, you wont find that on any other server :)

Thats a specialty to the test server, you wont find that on any other server :)

Celebration has a lot of them ;p

Celebration has a lot of them ;p

1:06 shows the server boarder "deep sea birchwood forests".. i havent seen those on Cele ;)

Looks good.

I think it needs to be tweaked so that the swaying slows down considerably as the boat picks up speed. Realisticly a boat wouldn't sway like that from side to side at full speed.

Looks good.

I think it needs to be tweaked so that the swaying slows down considerably as the boat picks up speed. Realisticly a boat wouldn't sway like that from side to side at full speed.

I agree, but would go further to say this action should happen only when the ship is moored. When under sail the wind pressure on the sails should kill any swaying completely.

Hi,

looks really great!

But - anybody has been thinking of dredging? Could imagine it could become even more cumbersome than it is already.

Maybe we can "switch off" the boat movement temporarily, in the options, pretty please? Would help the the sea-sickness endangered people too ...

Have a good time!

Love the concept, but to make it totally awesome, we simply must see the oars row in a Knarr. =)

Hmm... if you wanted to be uber-realistic, then only make the boats sway/bob when travelling upwind... at all other times, ie when they're being driven by the power of their sails, then they should not be bobbing around because the force of the sails on the boat stableises the boat.

This seems to be the next step to real waves. Great work here.

• Like 1