Zundy

PvE friends, what stops you from playing PvP?

Why PvE'ers don't PvP?

1.  Too much griefing.  

2.  Toxic PvP community.

3.  Obviously, losing everything when you die.

Why I no longer PvP:

1.  Continuous PvP mechanic/server changes that completely change the PvP meta.  SoTG nerfs, removal of champions, drastic changes to siege weapons, the "leather meta", as a few examples.

2.  Botting, account sharing and exploitation that goes unpunished.

3.  Deed pvp is extinct.

4. PvP population is spread over too many servers.  Chaos, Epic, Defiance, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Why PvE'ers don't PvP?

1.  Too much griefing.  

2.  Toxic PvP community.

3.  Obviously, losing everything when you die.

Why I no longer PvP:

1.  Continuous PvP mechanic/server changes that completely change the PvP meta.  SoTG nerfs, removal of champions, drastic changes to siege weapons, the "leather meta", as a few examples.

2.  Botting, account sharing and exploitation that goes unpunished.

3.  Deed pvp is extinct.

4. PvP population is spread over too many servers.  Chaos, Epic, Defiance, etc.

An important reason that keeps getting missed:  "Just don't want to pvp"

Have to accept that no matter what is done with pvp, there are people that still won't pvp simply because - they don't want to pvp.

This is the root of how much time, effort or expense the developers will put into pvp. If there aren't enough people who care how good they make it, then it is wasted effort.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Homestead said:

An important reason that keeps getting missed:  "Just don't want to pvp"

Have to accept that no matter what is done with pvp, there are people that still won't pvp simply because - they don't want to pvp.

This is the root of how much time, effort or expense the developers will put into pvp. If there aren't enough people who care how good they make it, then it is wasted effort.

^ me in a nutshell. I have zero desire to PvP in Wurm yet I PvP in a lot of other games. Honestly Wurm, for me, isn't close to a being a PvP game. It's for people that have endless amounts of time to get ahead, stay ahead and crush anyone with less time to play then themselves. I strongly believe Wurm is not designed for PvP, even though this was the initial focus.

Imagine being a new player, joining Defiance, slapping a deed down and having some fun. 1 hr later a 90 strength character, fully geared walks up to you and cleaves the soul out of your body then continues to murder your horse and drain your deed. My guess is a lot of new players that think they'd like Wurm's PvP, because they love PvP in other games, have had this exact same scenario happen to them.

Edited by Bauk
  • Like 2

Im not one of the brightest around and I never was but doesn't an epic portal just transfer u over to epic with all of ur freedom skills and stats? The solution is kinda easy right lol

Who cares if u ###### up there, if u portal back u still have all ur freedom stuff anyways?

Despite what Rolf thinks, this game was NOT designed with PvP in mind.  The amount of time to gear/re-imp is insane without a dedicated cadre of crafters and gatherers and the amount of time to wreck a settlement is disproportionately shorter than the amount of time it takes to build it.

And even if you engage in this system, what are the rewards?  I honestly don't know.  If its the fight itself, there are better games for that.

• Like 6

I have a hard enough time in pve and doing pvp would devastate me.  Besides, I like doing the crafting side of things on a pve server.

At any possible moment, I love to be able to go hang my laundry and not worry at all what happens to my online character in Wurm whom I left to starve alone in middle of wherever.

Also I love not to be forced to do anything I did not plan week prior. Like "next weeks thursday I will imp my large anvil to 99ql" and my day is ruined if I need to gear up and go defend a tower when my plan was to stay with the anvil.

These prime directives collide with pvp environment. So I am bound by "choice" of doing pve.

• Like 2

I ask question from myself "why pvp in wurm when can pvp in so many other games and so much better". So i instead press button and im getting pvp action with local voip, wurm style skilling system and quests with stories in Escape From Tarkov.
Answer is i dont want wurm pvp.

• Like 2

I guess.. if there was a way to preserve a set of gear and anything optional to be keep or lose.. or partial perk items giving you advantage were the only thing to drop.. etc.. something in the middle.. could of been less of a toll to pay for pvp-life;

or strictly leave things to events and pvp - death and respawns.. 

75ql leather set

75ql weapons

decent pendulum and an okay set of horse gear

the barrier to entry on PvP is like 2.5 silvers worth of items purchased on Trade chat, or about 20-30 minutes of work for a kingdom crafter 

• Like 1

While I do play other pvp games, I don't tend to like pvp games where griefing can ruin hours of labor.  Building a decent sized structure can take days, if not weeks, and that's typically not my jam.

Though the real reason I don't is because there's not a whole lot of reason to when you don't like combat, and I just.  Don't like combat in most games, and in Wurm especially it's just kind of a grating system overall for me.

• Like 1

I think one valid answer is: Too Much Hassle, Too Little Fun. 

• Like 2

I think the combat system in Wurm is really lacking, and struggle to see how a game like Wurm could ever make for a good PvP experience, especially when there are so many good alternatives to pick from.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2024 at 11:48 AM, Demonix said:

Despite what Rolf thinks, this game was NOT designed with PvP in mind.  The amount of time to gear/re-imp is insane without a dedicated cadre of crafters and gatherers and the amount of time to wreck a settlement is disproportionately shorter than the amount of time it takes to build it.

And even if you engage in this system, what are the rewards?  I honestly don't know.  If its the fight itself, there are better games for that.

This, really.

It simply is not a pvp game.

There are better games designed for pvp if pvp is what one wants.

Edited by Homestead
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 4:21 AM, Ame said:

quests with stories in Escape From Tarkov

funny

For me, it is simply just not who I am. I don't like PVP apart from fun friendly spars. I would never be able to kill another player and take their stuff and walk away feeling good about it. This is in no way a judgement against those that do. It is just not for me. I play wurm for the community, for the friendships I have made here. I like being able to help anyone at anytime without the worry of them being "on the other side". I am a mediator and peacemaker by nature, conflict is just not appealing to me. I would be willing to go in a support role to actually say I have been there and have a better understanding of how the PVP side of the game works, but it would be short lived and for the purpose of understanding PVP players concerns about their servers and nothing more. My not playing PVP in wurm has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with me. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ashlynne said:

For me, it is simply just not who I am. I don't like PVP apart from fun friendly spars. I would never be able to kill another player and take their stuff and walk away feeling good about it. This is in no way a judgement against those that do. It is just not for me. I play wurm for the community, for the friendships I have made here. I like being able to help anyone at anytime without the worry of them being "on the other side". I am a mediator and peacemaker by nature, conflict is just not appealing to me. I would be willing to go in a support role to actually say I have been there and have a better understanding of how the PVP side of the game works, but it would be short lived and for the purpose of understanding PVP players concerns about their servers and nothing more. My not playing PVP in wurm has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with me. 

Sounds like you might like a pvp server to me. You said you like helping people and play for the friendships and community.So much opportunities to help your kingdom friends by supporting them with gear or horses or whatever you enjoy doing.

Being in a kingdom has a stronger sense of community then the pve servers provide or atleast that's just how I feel. Don't get me wrong I've been on a pve server since I returned after 8 years and I'm having a blast with the alliance I'm in.

All I'm getting at is maybe just give it a shot. Although right now might not be a good time maybe wait until this nfi sfi portal opens. I think there's going to be some good fights to come.

• Like 1

this thread has been going on so long that op is no longer playing lol

• Like 1

Bad design.
Activities with low risk (mining) give high profits (probably the highest),

activities with high risk (hunting, cutting down trees - you can be attacked) give lower profits.

A player with more money, creating several accounts and deeds, can distribute his items in different locations and it is more difficult to take everything from him.
Average person will only waste time trying to build or craft anything under such conditions. One attack, one failure and you lose.

I am first when it comes to combining PvP and PvE servers, but with a change in design.

Look at Northgard, if something similar can be done in Wurm that means deeds of players inside kingdom are protected because enemy first have to conquer border areas, then I'm in favor of PvP.

Thanks to this solution, those who would like to fight would fight when they wanted to, and not when opponent forced them to do so.

It may seem unrealistic, but in Middle Ages castles were used precisely to stop invasions, Wurm has no such option, because enemy can attack anyone anywhere.

The borders of kingdom should be in danger, but interior should be 100% safe from attacks of another players, just like PvE servers right now.

ooooffff. The OP did not log in into the forums since Jan 30.

he must be playing an actually good pvp game.

loot is not the problem.

loss of affinities is not the problem.

cost is not the problem.

we lost and spent way more money in the good times of EVE Online.

way more, navy, pirate, and capital ships.

crystal implants,

Several $$$$$ lost in 30 seconds fights.

but it was fun, and ended with “GG” !!

Here the mechanics are clumsy, 

The drama is eternal, 

the community is, no I wont use the word that this generation of gamers invented.

just let say the PVP community is a bunch of crying babies that will never find the perfect grain of sand in the sandbox.

just let this thread die.

As PVP servers died.

Posted (edited)

You want to fix FFA PvP? You can't. The genre itself is fundamentally flawed, and it only caters to the mindset of an extreme niche of players.

Games like Rust circumvent this by completely removing the 'winning' aspect, and instead focus on the 'survival' aspect. That's only possible on constant server wipes. EvE circumvents this by having so many other things to do, that the FFA PvP aspect is almost a novelty. Wurm doesn't circumvent this. This is why it will always fail.

One side wins. The other side quits. The winners quit out of boredom, because there is nobody left to fight.

Edited by Viceren
  • Like 3

A lot of PVE players seem to know PVP best and refuse to attempt to try it, but rather state the flaws or label as a bad experience. I was once told the same thing when I started, I ignored the advice and tried PVP. It was fun. I became more fulfilled as a Wurm player.

Even if we put Wurm aside for a second, these same people who preach against, often do not PVP in any game. It's bad to take advice from strangers. Try it, see for yourself. Free life lesson.

Message me if your interested and I'll get you into a kingdom on chaos.

There are many examples in this thread, many examples over the lifespan of Wurm. Its a classic Wurm pastime, to say "PVP is bad, you don't want that, you should join our mega alliance and become like us." Yikes I say... I think some people are just not worth convincing but obviously know best and want to give PVP a bad rap.

Its honestly not much different than sharing a house/dorm/flat with friends in RL. You can also play and make your own villages and stay in the kingdom alliance. People who want to avoid PVP can play on chaos/defiance in peace and help their friends out in relatively safe locations. We have a lot of PVE players who do this.

I still think the biggest draw back for PVE players getting into Wurm is loosing affinities and I think that's a fair reason, I wish it wasn't a mechanic in 2024. However we lack a PvP dev to fix the issues or even support the dying game mode though.

• Like 1

@Emi

YOU are just One of the reasons I would never PVP.

I would never have the time to deal with so much drama in a videogame.

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

4 hours ago, Emi said:

Even if we put Wurm aside for a second, these same people who preach against, often do not PVP in any game. It's bad to take advice from strangers.

Except people are merely answering the question that was ask of them regarding their own reasons for not playing PVP.  It was an honest and useful question and people are giving honest and useful answers.

I don't think accusing people that they  "want to give PVP a bad rap" is helpful. 

I think pointing out that people could play PvE on PvP servers is helpful, but I think many (myself included) would need to be convinced that they wouldn't be caught up in PvP (e.g. like being unable to trade/chat/whatever with someone who is "enemy").  Also "relatively safe" sound like it wouldn't be truly PvE.

2 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I think pointing out that people could play PvE on PvP servers is helpful, but I think many (myself included) would need to be convinced that they wouldn't be caught up in PvP (e.g. like being unable to trade/chat/whatever with someone who is "enemy").  Also "relatively safe" sound like it wouldn't be truly PvE.

You totally can ignore pvp on chaos and just play as usual, you're welcome to join if you want. Trading doesn't really happen though, if you need something it's requested and crafted for you.