Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Not sure whether Twitch adds games or devs can submit games, but will Wurm Unlimited be split from the WO twitch or just kept in the same? I think with WU there is some chance that more streams will pop up since it can be modded/sped up and be done a bit more creatively than now.I think it would be a good idea to have WU have it's own game channel.

As a side note; I think it would be great if the dev team did more with Twitch. Question and Answer streams, behind the scenes, interviews, etc. With branching out into steam and the potential from there it seems like it could be a good time to really try and earn some presence for the game on Twitch as well, from the dev viewpoint - and to me makes more sense then having question periods on forums or irc.

in b4 all the wurm streams are boring replies - i think with WU that could change some :)

Twitch uses the Giant Bomb game database to generate its own.  Any game added to Giant Bomb's wiki will show up on Twitch after a few days, when the databases sync together.  Anyone can add a game to Giant Bomb's wiki, but you will need an account with them, and if you're a new editor, your edits will be screened before they get applied.

Source: I've added a game to it myself.

How come that minecraft steam game that comes out in a whole month and a half already has pre-purchases

and a price setup while Wurm unlimited which is nearly 2 weeks off it's release date has none of it?

If someone waits with posting the price till its almost released, then chances are very big that it goes towards +40€

Rolf said it would get a discount on launch day, but for al we know that'll be a 10% discount, so still 35.99€ or something like that.

Premium is pretty expensive in WO, not to mention the gold price. Those two went up 60% in the past, so Rolf isnt afraid of putting a high price on his game.

I really hope I'm wrong and its priced 20-30€, that sounds like more then a fair price for a game like WU, but yeah, all this stalling to put up the price, or even give a hint on the price range...

Also, thanks Warlander for answering so much questions already, it gives me the feeling you are the only dev out there that knows anything of WU tho ;):P

It has probalby been asked before, but it might have been not, 26 pages is just a little to much to go trough.

But how will the tutorail zone be handled? People won't know how to play this game without it, it's as hard to get into as EVE Online is.

Will there be a new tutorial, will the zone be ported into the adventure maps?

No tutorials AFAIK, but players can naturally make their own tutorial servers. :)

Some guides will probably appear on Steam after game release, this and Wurmpedia/forums should be a big aid for new players.

No tutorials AFAIK, but players can naturally make their own tutorial servers. :)

Some guides will probably appear on Steam after game release, this and Wurmpedia/forums should be a big aid for new players.

People not knowing what to do will be bad for the steam review stuff i think :s

I still remember my first playtime without a tutorial many years ago.  I had no idea what to do since there is no other game that compares with this one in playstyle and menu's and such.

My first impression was far from good.

So i quit the game after only an hour of clueless wandering around and gave it another try after like 2 years listening to stories from my best friend who did play it at that time.

Edited by Timoca

yeah ... you better think about some small tutorial atleast for the single player mode ... cuz ppl will go mad after 5 minutes not knowing what to do 

you still have time to do it :) before bad reviews will start poiping

and believe me , i use steam for 5 years , steam comunity is a pain in the ass when they dont get what they want :)

Edited by Alexo
  • Like 2

yeah ... you better think about some small tutorial atleast for the single player mode ... cuz ppl will go mad after 5 minutes not knowing what to do 

you still have time to do it :) before bad reviews will start poiping

and believe me , i use steam for 5 years , steam comunity is a pain in the ass when they dont get what they want :)

+1

• Like 1

People not knowing what to do will be bad for the steam review stuff i think :s

I still remember my first playtime without a tutorial many years ago.  I had no idea what to do since there is no other game that compares with this one in playstyle and menu's and such.

My first impression was far from good.

So i quit the game after only an hour of clueless wandering around and gave it another try after like 2 years listening to stories from my best friend who did play it at that time.

Frankly, if people are too impatient to learn a game, the community probably doesn't need them around anyways.

I'm sick of seeing game designers cater to the attention-deficit crowd and homogenize every experience.

If someone is impatient learning the game in the first few hours, they aren't going to play Wurm in the long run anyways... as this game requires ample patience. I certainly didn't stay with Wurm because of my tutorial experience.

This game is far too deep to provide an effective tutorial; the best experience is to throw them into the sandbox and see if they enjoy it.

• Like 1

Frankly, if people are too impatient to learn a game, the community probably doesn't need them around anyways.

I'm sick of seeing game designers cater to the attention-deficit crowd and homogenize every experience.

If someone is impatient learning the game in the first few hours, they aren't going to play Wurm in the long run anyways... as this game requires ample patience. I certainly didn't stay with Wurm because of my tutorial experience.

This game is far too deep to provide an effective tutorial; the best experience is to throw them into the sandbox and see if they enjoy it.

Then WU won't get any bigger then WO is.  You need a tutorial for the basic stuff, and don't just send em off to the wiki...

This is pretty much like sending a new player into EVE without telling em how to fly a ship or any of the other basics, to us this game feels normal and easy but it is not, hardly any game uses the right mouse these days like as this game does.

Also don't be so Elite about everything. More people is more money, more money means more features and faster development.  I want anyone and his cat to play this game, not just the few brave enough to go trough an entire wiki and self-experimentation.

• Like 1

Then WU won't get any bigger then WO is.  You need a tutorial for the basic stuff, and don't just send em off to the wiki...

This is pretty much like sending a new player into EVE without telling em how to fly a ship or any of the other basics, to us this game feels normal and easy but it is not, hardly any game uses the right mouse these days like as this game does.

Also don't be so Elite about everything. More people is more money, more money means more features and faster development.  I want anyone and his cat to play this game, not just the few brave enough to go trough an entire wiki and self-experimentation.

I started eve in 2004, before there was a useful tutorial and I still play to this day.

I guess I shouldn't generalize and assume kids these days enjoy a challenge.

Some sort of tutorial would be nice, I agree. I stand by my points though; Wurm requires patience and learning.

Playing without the Wiki or a group telling you every little detail is impossible.

Edited by Trake
  • Like 2

I started eve in 2004, before there was a useful tutorial and I still play to this day.

I guess I shouldn't generalize and assume kids these days enjoy a challenge.

Some sort of tutorial would be nice, I agree. I stand by my points though; Wurm requires patience and learning.

Playing without the Wiki or a group telling you every little detail is impossible.

I started Wurm before here was a tutorial :)

And I'm still here :)

You will be fine without a tutorial, make it your quest/mission to stay alive and learn how to play.

Or it is as Trake posted?

You need someone to show you the way?

If so use wiki and if it isn't updated please tell those that can update

• Like 2

they are selling this as a single player game as well..

I started in new town, jkh, when wurm was wurm and not as easy as it is nowadays. Still , I agree with those in favor of some kind of guide or tutorial.

Thanks to Warlander that approved and implemented my sugestion, we have an irc channel too now. This channel (#wurmunlimited) can be used by anyone , in game, even as single player if that person is still connected to the internet. That will be, I hope, another tool to help the newcomers.

I started in new town, jkh, when wurm was wurm and not as easy as it is nowadays. Still , I agree with those in favor of some kind of guide or tutorial.

Thanks to Warlander that approved and implemented my sugestion, we have an irc channel too now. This channel (#wurmunlimited) can be used by anyone , in game, even as single player if that person is still connected to the internet. That will be, I hope, another tool to help the newcomers.

well I hope that the IRC is standard opened then.

indy uses 32gb to run,  it has well over 50k animals,  pop well over 100, at times was 250.  So break that size down by 4 ya got a exodus or WU size map,  so exodus currently has 25k animals on it So in short,   simple WU server should be able to run with 4gbs easily supporting   around 20-40, if it gets lagy up it to 8 gigs and problem solved. Smaller map, then cut that in half  2 gigs, but  ram will rise pending how many people play on it, so if its like 10 people on a small map with 25k animals,  tech  2 gigs should work, But when game launchs shall find out, but so far with rolfs history with current VM's   this matchs up perfectly.

they are selling this as a single player game as well..

They do yes

but I think you also can join someones else server and learn the basic there

together with that and IRC and wiki and our forum here you will be good at least that is what I hope

and you/and other can also join wurm online and play as free player to learn the basic first 

community here is great and we do our best to answer questions

Is there a way to buy this somehow with paysafecard, (steam won't let me use it in my region, and the DLgamer site does not support it either)

Edited by WarRager

Question I have a hosting company I use regularly for my gaming needs, http://www.bananastandhosting.com/ will a free hosting client be provided so that company's out there would be encouraged to provide hosting services?

Question Will there be a set update schedule, like weekly at a certain time, or like ARK: Survival evolved where it comes randomly, morning noon or night, sometimes 1 hr apart? ( I hope for the scheduled update option after the first rush of bugs due to pain always getting servers updated)

Question what is the cut off date for the 20% off on the web site?

....returning old player who quit for ArcheAge and am regretting it now!

Lumpy - cut off is day of release.  There is a counter on DLgamer site

What handicapped accessible options if any are included?:I am a Quadriplegic that uses SmartNav to control the mouse and I have had issues with the looking around on the normal client.

How WU will deal with single player mode, when two players are required. In example building bridges? Using big boats? Religion? Enchanting? Will there be non cheating way to accomplish this?

Pretty sure big boats are already soloable in WO, and they are making bridges solo-able in WU