Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Curious about something regarding this and playing WU single player.

From my observations, 2048X2048 single player server with 1000 animals needs about 700 mb of RAM.

Just keep in mind that together with developing this world required RAM can increase, but I doubt it would go above 1 gb in this simple case.

The client I play WO with takes about 1gb of ram.

The creative map included is 2048x2048 (correct me if I'm wrong) and this is the same size as Deliverance. Deli has 25k creatures. Am I going to be looking at 20+ GB of ram used for the server portion, assuming I try to put 25k creatures on it?

How much processor power is needed for this? I can see a lot of server side algorithms that need to be run there.

I may be worrying for nothing but I can see some potential disappointments for purchasers of WU if it does indeed take a lot of computer resources to simply play WU in single player.

My computer is old and has low end performance parts ...

AMD FX 4100, 4 core, 3.5ghz

16 GB ram

win 7 64 bit

GeForce GT 610

1TB HD

9Mbps/5Mbps...down/up. This is max and I often get less.

Edited by joedobo

here is my system I asked about in the server thread.

Ok let's say you have.....

i7 4790k

8 GB ram

240 GB SSD 500+ 

1T HDD

90mbps/12mbps internet

Are you going to be able to play with a few friends over the internet? 2-4 players?

if not what would be the upgrade to play with those amount?  16 Gig ram? 2x 240 GB SSD?

We are not looking for FPS shooter quality here just enough to play and have some fun....

For small group of friends even 1024X1024 server should be enough, and in this PC should handle that easily.

Edited by Uberknot

@ Uberknot.   you neglected to specify the number of creatures you plan to spawn. This detail is a big deal.

Deli:

2048 x 2048

11k agg, 14k peace = total 25k

167 tiles per creature

Hypothetical server:

1024 x 1024

6.28k creatures

Can we select a server size smaller than 2048x2048.  If I intend to only play with like 4 or 5 friends, I would like the option to have a smaller server at startup.  Especially if we plan on connecting them with different "WU" islands with different rule sets. 

Can we select a server size smaller than 2048x2048.  If I intend to only play with like 4 or 5 friends, I would like the option to have a smaller server at startup.  Especially if we plan on connecting them with different "WU" islands with different rule sets. 

Yes, I've seen War talking about other map sizes.

Rolf what map generator do you use for map making?

Will we have a set spawnpoint, or will it be targeted/random?

Edited by Blacklotus

Will be option to pay WO subscription via Steam, link WO account with steam, and pay via steam?

Some of players can't pay directly because of Currency Rates in some regions.

I for example will dig in WU if there is no such possibility to pay via steam, and some other player will go same way.

UPD: Or give option for 1 month subscription.

Edited by Velimir
  • Like 1

Will be option to pay WO subscription via Steam, link WO account with steam, and pay via steam?

Some of players can't pay directly because of Currency Rates in some regions.

I for example will dig in WU if there is no such possibility to pay via steam, and some other player will go same way.

UPD: Or give option for 1 month subscription.

WU is a one time payment, so there's no need for subscription to be applied to that.

WO will remain the same I assume, since there is no real connection between the two, other than both using roughly the same code, the question Rolf answered on being able to apply discounts to Wurm Online player when they buy WU seems relevant here, in reverse, there's no way to account for steam users in Wurm Online.

So I doubt very much there'll be a mechanism to pay WO subs in Steam, and that for the foreseeable future the Wurm Shop will continue to be the only method of payment, (other than ingame silver).

WU is a one time payment, so there's no need for subscription to be applied to that.

WO will remain the same I assume, since there is no real connection between the two, other than both using roughly the same code, the question Rolf answered on being able to apply discounts to Wurm Online player when they buy WU seems relevant here, in reverse, there's no way to account for steam users in Wurm Online.

So I doubt very much there'll be a mechanism to pay WO subs in Steam, and that for the foreseeable future the Wurm Shop will continue to be the only method of payment, (other than ingame silver).

Why make assumptions? 

I think this is a great idea.. especially if the goal is to recruit more potential players through steam.

It shouldn't be hard to add the WO launcher to Steam.

When will we get the server and server options information?

When will we get the official compiled Faq?

When will we get the released WU game information?

Why make assumptions? 

I think this is a great idea.. especially if the goal is to recruit more potential players through steam.

You got the idea!  :)

I believe You misunderstood me.

I mean, that I will leave WO and will play WU only, because of currency rates and no monthly subsctiption option, unless there will be option to pay subscription through steam(with regional prices), and it will be more convenient for steam players who will play WO, after playng with WU.

Hey,Why not just to release Wurm Online into steam ? i think that would be way better then Wurm Unlimited :)

You got the idea!  :)

I believe You misunderstood me.

I mean, that I will leave WO and will play WU only, because of currency rates and no monthly subsctiption option, unless there will be option to pay subscription through steam(with regional prices), and it will be more convenient for steam players who will play WO, after playng with WU.

I was answering based on Rolf's previous answer to those who were asking if there would be a discount for present Wurm players with accounts when buying WU.

The gist was that Steam and Wurm Online accounts are not linked, and it is in fact likely to be impossible to do so.

It's possible that new Wurm accounts could be linked to the Steam accounts, if that's what you mean, but for present WO players that may not be possible.

I admit that it may become possible, but I still expect that present players will still be buying premium through the Wurm shop on the website, the same way it is now, unless it's changed in future and it becomes possible, or easier through Steam, then I certainly won't be changing.

Why make assumptions? 

I don't disagree that it would be a great idea, I'm just not certain that Rolf wants everything on Steam, just judging from his previous answers, I've formed the opinion he wishes to keep Wurm Online separated from Steam, giving him a continuation of his control over it, which might be something that could be compromised by third parties being involved.

If Wurm were mine, I'd tend to feel a little fear of allowing it to be even partially controlled by someone else, especially after the long years of work I'd put into it making it truly independent.

I'm not aware of how much control Steam and PiD will have over WU, but I'm betting it's more than 0%, where at present Rolf and CC have 100% control of Wurm Online.

Not about Steam and PiD having control, just that publishers take around 30% of the profits

@ Uberknot.   you neglected to specify the number of creatures you plan to spawn. This detail is a big deal.

Deli:

2048 x 2048

11k agg, 14k peace = total 25k

167 tiles per creature

That's one creature per 13x13 area. That's fairly dense. And it seems everyone is forgetting. A bunch of tiles are WATER. Not much of a hit from those and no spawns unless you want whales, sharks, etc. Personally I'd place a few domestics for me and make all the rest reds.

Edited by Clatius

That's one creature per 13x13 area. That's fairly dense. And it seems everyone is forgetting. A bunch of tiles are WATER. Not much of a hit from those and no spawns unless you want whales, sharks, etc. Personally I'd place a few domestics for me and make all the rest reds.

I think you missed the point of my post. My question was probably just poorly worded.

Yes, those numbers are good creature density. The smaller servers like Deli have decent creature density ratios. The point is tho that the hardware estimates we have gotten about server hosting (and my question about client/server single player) have not included a rough estimates for creature population players will want. Nor have they included estimates for long term memory as players build and hoard stuff. Wurm knows the answers to this because they already host a Deli. I'm pretty confident players will try to host servers that at the very least mimic Wurm if not exceed it.

I'll ask the question again.

Wurm please give use hardware requirements for different size maps and creature density ratios that at least match servers like Deliverance (166 tiles per creature). In addition, how will this vary for single player versus simultaneous player counts (5, 10, 20...etc).

creature density 167

square size creatures

• Like 1

I doubt player count is going to matter for creature spawning.

In addition, how will this [sERVER HARDWARE NEEDED] vary for single player versus simultaneous player counts (5, 10, 20...etc).

Player count affects the hardware you'll need for a server.

Player count affects the hardware you'll need for a server.

True, but FYI somewhere in this thread it was stated (by Rolf or Warlander) that player count will affect hardware requirements a lot less than creature count.

Another question and fairly obvious one -

Can you password protect servers?

Are there any other tools from stopping the riff raff from entering your own 'public' server?