Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Thank you for finally answering the question about Steam, Rolf.  Unfortunately, it means I am out. But I highly doubt that is an issue your business will care about,

can I ask one other question and get a completely candid answer?

Will you also be looking at moving Wurm Online over to Steam, since this suggests that it will be easier for you to code if "everything Wurm" goes through Steam?

I assume all of the advantages for having a standalone singleplayer game run through Steam, are even more of an issue with an online multoplayer game. 

Which I guess means I just answered my own question.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Brash, I can say with reasonable confidence that moving WO to steam will largely depend on the response WU gets when it launches.  If it is marginal, I can't imagine WO getting ported to steam, giving steam a cut of everything Rolf is already getting.  If the WU numbers are good or great, then bam! WO goes Steam as fast as possible.  Sad as it may be for folks that don't like Steam.

Yes the game will be updated now and then with fixes from the Wurm Online code which will remain the main development track. Pretty much all of those other questions receive a yes, or we will add it. You will still have to cast spells on items though and spawn uniques using your GM character. Success chance will probably still be dependent on what you set your channelling skill to.

thanx for the answer! I really appreciate it

good luck Rolf!

Edited by BlGpapa

Brash, I can say with reasonable confidence that moving WO to steam will largely depend on the response WU gets when it launches.  If it is marginal, I can't imagine WO getting ported to steam, giving steam a cut of everything Rolf is already getting.  If the WU numbers are good or great, then bam! WO goes Steam as fast as possible.  Sad as it may be for folks that don't like Steam.

No need to worry, even if Wurm Online will come to Steam, playing it without Steam will be possible as well.

• Like 3

Someone may try to run a hacked version....but I doubt he's going to make it public domain.

Who said anything about a hacked version?  There are other distribution platforms out there other than Steam, and we know that Plugged in Digital has worked with some of those other platforms (such as GOG.com) on other projects, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility.  It really just comes down to Rolf's intentions, or what options he is open to exploring.

How will updates to WU work. You stated that Updates will hit WO first then go to WU. ....HOW? Specifically Hosted Servers?

Placed somewhere for download and installation ?

Edited by sunsvortex

Yes, this is what I ment.

Plus I'm worried about Steam being DRM (digital restrictions management). You never know what can happen in the future. For example, they can block whole countries or regions, if they decide. Etc. etc...

Ofc, Steam has many, many advantages. But also a bunch of disadvantages. That's why I'd prefer Steam being only optional.

Not to mention that Windows 10 has the ability to remove anything it wants and/or decides you shouldn't have.

• Like 1

How will updates to WU work. You stated that Updates will hit WO first then go to WU. ....HOW?

Placed somewhere for download and installation ?

Considering its steam, If its not in launcher format, Steam will update it or update it when you tell it to. If WU IS in launcher, It'l update via launcher. Thats how its been with every game with steam and how it ever will be.

Considering its steam, If its not in launcher format, Steam will update it or update it when you tell it to. If WU IS in launcher, It'l update via launcher. Thats how its been with every game with steam and how it ever will be.

And a hosted server?

So does this mean we can only have one character per account or that we can only play one character at a time?  

I would like to have a priest and a main on the same account but i would understand that i can only use one at a time. If we can only make one character per account then i am not sure how you would even go around that do we have to have two steam accounts? 

I am really interested in how one is going to cast LT or MS or any of the rites when you need over 100 favor and only a single character active.

• Like 2

No need to worry, even if Wurm Online will come to Steam, playing it without Steam will be possible as well.

Can we do this with WU? Do we only need Steam to buy it?

The more I read about a single character per Steam account restriction and knowing how many things in Wurm need more than one (bridges, spells to name the biggest), WU seems a complete waste of money compared to just staying here unless you want to open a server and then, once again, you might as well stay here.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

Can we do this with WU? Do we only need Steam to buy it?

The more I read about a single character per Steam account restriction and knowing how many things in Wurm need more than one (bridges, spells to name the biggest), WU seems a complete waste of money compared to just staying here unless you want to open a server and then, once again, you might as well stay here.

WU is depending a lot on Steam-only features, most notably server browser, so it cannot work outside of Steam. When it comes to bridges and spells... You have a point, we will need to do something with that before release for sure. I am thinking about possibility to run multiple clients via single Steam app process, but this will require engine switch from LWJGL 2 to LWJGL 3.

• Like 7

WU is depending a lot on Steam-only features, most notably server browser, so it cannot work outside of Steam. When it comes to bridges and spells... You have a point, we will need to do something with that before release for sure. I am thinking about possibility to run multiple clients via single Steam app process, but this will require engine switch from LWJGL 2 to LWJGL 3.

you have a month get to working, lol

• Like 1

hehe while I have your ear, I am going to try to sneak in another suggestion: The ability to import a skill dump from WO to recreate ourselves on WU. 

EDIT: Like a NewGame+ 

Edited by Audrel

And a hosted server?

If he makes it so hosted server works out of your own game files, Steam will probably update it for you.

If he makes it go through SteamCMD, You will have to manually update it yourself. I HIGHLY recommend making some custom pre-written cmd scripts that will do this for you.(Backups included). I recommend looking at several youtube videos on how to do so, Or google. 

If he makes WU servers a file we get from online without a updater, We will have to manually over-write the server files every time an update happens, Similar to other game servers. Tho if this is the case i suspect someone will make it more convenient and allow a simple .exe to download, and install the update for us, Since everyone always loves convenience. 

I think I might use this instead of deed planner just for the heck of it. Much different feel of building I say

• Like 1

Could I create a world with non aggressive creatures?

Naturally, just set aggressive animal % to 0.

If he makes it so hosted server works out of your own game files, Steam will probably update it for you.

If he makes it go through SteamCMD, You will have to manually update it yourself. I HIGHLY recommend making some custom pre-written cmd scripts that will do this for you.(Backups included). I recommend looking at several youtube videos on how to do so, Or google. 

If he makes WU servers a file we get from online without a updater, We will have to manually over-write the server files every time an update happens, Similar to other game servers. Tho if this is the case i suspect someone will make it more convenient and allow a simple .exe to download, and install the update for us, Since everyone always loves convenience. 

Which is why i am hoping that Rolf or another dev will answer the question instead of people like us.....the ones who dont know the answer to the question. I am talking to Rackspace about hosting options and it looks like ill be spending anywhere from about 400 to 700 a month on a server depending on hardware, service, and D&R options.

I think its clear if there is any chance at all that those updates can in some way be auto pushed, then I have to come up with some way to intercede and stop that from happening as my server will be heavily modded and there is no guarantee at this point in time that any update that CC puts out will not immediately and irrevocably burn my server to the ground. SO Ill need a test modded server that I can drop any updates on and make sure nothing blows up. Ill also need to know how the updates are going to be distributed, specifically for private servers. I cannot allow auto updates of any kind and as long as I know how the updates are going to be distributed I can engineer a way to stop any auto push.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... as I mentioned before... 

Why not just add a blank "Private server" field in usual client's launcher....

I buy WU, set it up, got my main running from the Steam client, need to login alts...

Just open the WO client, chuck my own IP address in the launcher's field, magic.  Up to my server to accept the login/pw as valid or otherwise.

Can we translate the interface and all the game world to other languages ?

• Like 2

Hi, Steam only allows one client of any game (not only Wurm Unlimited) running at one time so you can only run one character per Steam installation and account.

I have feeling that this is going to be your #1 road block to success.

It would be a good reason to put all the steam checks into a launcher and the server. Let the launcher verify the steam id, and launch one server process and as many clients as wanted. Have the servers check the validity of a client steam id but not enforce one id per online character. Or simply publish multiple clients as in client1.exe client2.exe etc. for as many clients as you think we should be able to run at once.

Wurm simply has too many requirements for multiple characters be limited to one character or one online at a time. Then again I guess if those restrictions are configurable or removed entirely then it might just work out. It would fundamentally alter game play, but that option is already on the table so why not go full bore.

And while we are asking about multiple clients at once, I guess this means one account can not run multiple servers at once either?

I have feeling that this is going to be your #1 road block to success.

It would be a good reason to put all the steam checks into a launcher and the server. Let the launcher verify the steam id, and launch one server process and as many clients as wanted. Have the servers check the validity of a client steam id but not enforce one id per online character. Or simply publish multiple clients as in client1.exe client2.exe etc. for as many clients as you think we should be able to run at once.

Wurm simply has too many requirements for multiple characters be limited to one character or one online at a time. Then again I guess if those restrictions are configurable or removed entirely then it might just work out. It would fundamentally alter game play, but that option is already on the table so why not go full bore.

And while we are asking about multiple clients at once, I guess this means one account can not run multiple servers at once either?

Its gonna be cheap enough buy several.

The more I read about a single character per Steam account restriction and knowing how many things in Wurm need more than one (bridges, spells to name the biggest),

Oh! Good points, didn't think of this. I was extremely excited about WU, in a way that only a Bethesda RPG has excited me so far. But if I cannot make bridgesn or do magic tricks then nevermind, I still have 80+ games in my Steam wishlist. These are not some exceptional extra features that should make people jump through hoops or cost twice/thrice/etc. the price, these are normal gameplay elements that should be available in an SP configuration too.

I hope the dev sorts this out, either by doing something in-game or finding a way to launch two java clients from one launcher.

• Like 1

For someone who can't justify paying the repeated fee to play this game, I think this is a wonderful idea. If you guys can also manage to use popular public mods or changes from Unlimited to the Online version, I think it would work out for everyone.

Although I think Wurm Online should offer something else other than stability and persistence that sets it apart from its unlimited counterpart. It would have to be something that could not be replicated on the Unlimited version.

Also, steam usually has sales on all their games. Is this something you guys are expecting to see happen for Wurm Unlimited after some time has passed?