Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

I must ask this one.... 

For horses (mainly)....  Can I spawn them 5-speed.... or can I disable everything but the 5 speeds because .... dat RNG >_<

And can we tweak gestation times (As a biologist thinking of setting them "from 7 to 7 weeks" basically, as in no gestation time variation for the love of Darwin).

Gestation times can be changed. When it comes to perks... Probably possible to spawn them as GM.

Would it be possible to set up a supply depot like the ones in challenge? With the possibilities to set up the "beam lights" aswell?

1. Is the server software bundled with the game?? Such as being free or another way to transfer it without having purchasing it again if the customer want a dedicated machine

2.Will Epic Portals do anything? 

That's a good question.....I think Portals might be able to be set by a GM to go to another connected server?

I know they said servers can be connected so maybe you can decide where the portal will go.

Come on Rolf. Where is the actual FAQ? You answered a handful of questions a few days ago and have now gone silent. There's a gazillion unanswered questions here!

• Like 1

Can we get some info on adventure mode? We have 19 pages of questions that mostly are answered by "it's wurm online but on your own server" but no info on this new mode. 

"There are initially two modes planned for release: “Adventureâ€, which is a predefined world with a few warring kingdoms to live in and explore, and “Creative†which is an undeveloped map. The main goal for the Adventure mode will be to find a way of becoming a deity on the moon Valrei which we think is suitable both for a single player and a group of players either cooperating or belonging to different kingdoms."  <----Warring kingdoms in singleplayer? Are there really kingdoms, or just a few castles with an npc tacked in them? That is what I'd like to learn more about. 

By the look Solax, it's very likely a heavily scripted world. With triggers for many regions of the game to give the feel of a living and vibrant world. 

1. Is the server software bundled with the game?? Such as being free or another way to transfer it without having purchasing it again if the customer want a dedicated machine

1. Server exists in 2 identical forms, it is bundled with game as well as being the free, dedicated server software.

2. If you will "wire" them to other server... Why not? :)

• Like 2

Not seen this asked yet.

WU is not a persistent world unless you run the game 24/7, right? So given that, it will not be persistent unless you run it continuously. So over the time you are not running the game nothing will age. If I have this server and the people who play on it agree to shut it down for 8 hours a day, will I be able to jump time ahead 8 hours so it becomes virtually persistent? That way crops, trees and animals would all age over those 8 hours when the server is restarted every day.

Edited by Clatius

Not seen this asked yet.

WU is not a persistent world unless you run the game 24/7, right? So given that, it will not be persistent unless you run it continuously. So over the time you are not running the game nothing will age. If I have this server and the people who play on it agree to shut it down for 8 hours a day, will I be able to jump time ahead 8 hours so it becomes virtually persistent? That way crops, trees and animals would all age over those 8 hours when the server is restarted every day.

If server is closed for 1/3 of day, you can speed up crops growth etc. by for example 50% to compensate that.

I see, thanks.

Another question. Given that this is a 2048x2048 island, about how much disk space would the average server need for the database? Since you guys have started several islands of this size could you give what would be an average dbase size at start up? Doesn't have to be exact. Just need to know if we need to think about a multi terabyte server.  :)

I see, thanks.

Another question. Given that this is a 2048x2048 island, about how much disk space would the average server need for the database? Since you guys have started several islands of this size could you give what would be an average dbase size at start up? Doesn't have to be exact. Just need to know if we need to think about a multi terabyte server.  :)

At fresh start size of the whole database including map data etc. is about 130 mb, but keep in mind that this number varies a lot depending on creature and items/structures count.

Heh aye database size can really explode, and then attempts to handle it.

Remember those Clean Up Britannia! programs in Ultima Online?

At fresh start size of the whole database including map data etc. is about 130 mb, but keep in mind that this number varies a lot depending on creature and items/structures count.

Ah good. Positive thing about running a server with friends is we can all do our part in keeping the dbase down. We can handle one island with 12 people easily. And we'll backup our server and backup that backup. Got a decent UPS and will write backups to a disk once a week. I think we are good to go. 

Yes, since you asked the question in the wrong way ;)

So Mr know it all, how should of it been asked then m8y???????!!!!!......

So Mr know it all, how should of it been asked then m8y???????!!!!!......

Well first of all lose ur bad temper. Second. Like your previous answer more detailed.

Well first of all lose ur bad temper. Second. Like your previous answer more detailed.

Hokay, not bac tempered, just unhappy about being trolled for asking a simple question.

still not answered though.....

Unless i have missed it.

Will we be able to modify base boat speed or walk speed?

I'm just going to keep asking.

Round 4, here we go.

Base boat/walk speed... Most likely no, but this should be very easy to mod.

• Like 1

Will there be a system in place to compensate solo play in constructing bridges?

• Like 1

Completely separate. Allowing modified characters to the live servers would be crazy:)

So many threads so much information to go thought, not enough time to read all.

So will wurm unlimited player be able to join the wurm online cluster of servers?

As  you can see above, Rolf answered this very early on in the thread.  ;)

Round 2

There are no plans (yet) on changing irc functionalities. There's little reason to remove or change it.

There are no plans (yet) on changing irc functionalities. There's little reason to remove or change it.

Combining both player bases in one chat like IRC....could be explosive.

I have seen how IRC chats can go.

Plus the fact its usually dominated by the same folks.

Maybe a couple years down the road it if all goes well think about it.

Edited by Uberknot

Base boat/walk speed... Most likely no, but this should be very easy to mod.

Not to mention knarrs that work across land?

Never seen that happen on any server :ph34r: