Sign in to follow this  
rixk

When will devs start working on client stability!?

How long the client keeps crashing!? After 888 meditation attempts(yes, thats exact number, counted "This is indeed a special place" string) to get the level 17 question, it finally popped.. I of course wanted to take a screenshot.. which then crashed the client. 888 attempts(average 2 minute timer per attempt), this is almost 30 hours of pure meditation time on special tile... All the time wasted, because the crashing hasn't been fixed for years now.

Good news tho, there is also level 17 on meditation paths.

The crashes during client startup produce crash logs on my desktop.. crashes during gameplay usually don't. At least for this last one, there was this red "Oops" window, but no crash log anywhere.

The bigger question is, who compensates me the time I spent on meditating, I have to go all over again and I didn't even get the chance to answer the question (tbh I did barely see it before it was gone). This isnt 10-20 minutes lost.

Client starts to stutter, briefly freezes up in cycles, after you spend a lot of time traveling around.

Client starts to stutter, briefly freezes up in cycles, after you spend a lot of time traveling around.

Thats becouse the client remembers things it shouldn't... Yes... It remembers things that are no longer relevant.

Ever experienced towers, ships, etc while going to another server? those are fragments of memory still in the client about the previous server. lol

Now most games consider memory issues like these a absolutely terrible thing and top priority to fix... But.... This is code club. Enjoy.

also rixk use a diffrent software to make screenshoots like puush (highly recommend this one) or gyazo... or even print screen + paint.

The way the client makes its screenshoots has a very high chance of creating crashes.

• Like 3

I can't say I've had any client stability issues as of the past 2 months. And I use the unstable client XD

After 888 meditation attempts ... to get the level 17 question, it finally popped.. I of course wanted to take a screenshot.. which then crashed the client.

OMG!

I can really, really understand your utter frustration! This is the absolute worst case possible - I feel with you. (I know how hard it is to get the level question, once you have reached level 15+)  :(

This doesn't help you at all, but: I found that having too many files in your screenshot folder can crash the client while taking another screenshot. That's why I usually clean my folder if I have more than 500 screenshots in there.

I suggest you submit a support ticket - let's hope a GM or a dev can help you to get the level question back! You deserve it!

I found that I crashed generally when taking an SS when I had Java 32-bit installed, upgraded to Java 64-bit, haven't had a crash since.

The client is way better then it used to be, with java 8 and windows 10 - I rarely, actually haven't.. experience any crashes since. They kinda already stabilized it, if you have any old java versions try deleting them and see if that helps.

I can't remember the last time my client crashed. It definately happened a lot but not the last months. It was a big problem with resizing in windowed mode but now you can just set it fixed at a certain pixel size, which I think fixed it for me.

Going from Win 7 to Win 10, seemed to stop all of my random/startup crashes.

Going from Win 7 to Win 10, seemed to stop all of my random/startup crashes.

Java 8 and Windows 10 in my computer.

Sadly I get a lot of random startup crashes and errors as well, on Linux Mint, 32-bit OS and thus also 32-bit Java.

Totally random, can take 1 attempt to start the game, can take 5 attempts or even more. 

Java 8 and Windows 7/Ubuntu/Arch Linux on computers with different configurations here, no crashes since about 2 years (and I intentionally tried to lead game to crash multiple times).

Crashes are most likely caused by wrong version on Java (Wurm really don't like 32-bits), problems with drivers or with OS.

• Like 1

That is no argument, that you haven't had any problems.. Very good for you, but I see it constantly through my friendlist, how people log in several times, because they crash during their first logons.. For me, I have latest driver, fresh windows 10 install + fresh java 8, yet I crash constantly.. good for you, that you don't crash, but as a client dev, I would expect that you would work towards no crashes.

What makes you think devs are not working on such issues?

Aside from the hundreds of thousands of possible system hardware and software configurations.

• Like 4

What makes you think devs are not working on such issues?

Aside from the hundreds of thousands of possible system hardware and software configurations.

Considering it has been happening for years.. i think it is safe to say they aren't.

We are working at new rendering engine, it will probably fix some of currently existing issues.

• Like 5

We are working at new rendering engine, it will probably fix some of currently existing issues.

Vy1jNGu.gif

Now for some sleep...

Edited by Klaa

Vy1jNGu.gif

Now for some sleep...

You may be sarcastic if you want. But I think it isn't much to ask for some client stability, so tens of hours effort isn't down the drain because of one crash.

Edited by rixk

Crashes are most likely caused by wrong version on Java (Wurm really don't like 32-bits), problems with drivers or with OS.

The odd thing about these random startup crashes is that Wurm can like the exact same Java, drivers or OS at a new startup attempt 20 seconds later, with the exact same settings.

And if Wurm decides to start it runs for hours without problems and even with good performance. 

The odd thing about these random startup crashes is that Wurm can like the exact same Java, drivers or OS at a new startup attempt 20 seconds later, with the exact same settings.

And if Wurm decides to start it runs for hours without problems and even with good performance.