Sign in to follow this  
froggy25

So, unfinished items can no longer be mailed

Well I am sorry to say, but in this game you are not automatically entitled to have all the same things that players have that are more active in the game than you. It doesn't work that way Same with skills in fact, those that have invested most time in the game, have the best skills.

If you don't wish to make the effort to get a special guard tower, just build an ordinary guard tower, they work quite well.

Also, riskless trade of items vs money between players is very easy to do, but it sounds to me as if you have never really played Wurm.

Again it's not as easy as one might think, you make this post like your a trusted member of Wurm I would pay blindly to ship something for me I intended to sell, outside reading forum posts from you I've no clue who you are, by changing mail and excluding items that can be sent, not just towers but restricted by quality, item type etc., the game forces interaction with people, while you'll champion it makes it a MMO, I'd prefer not to send a 15s item ( not a tower in this case ) with some guy a few other vouched for, if the item goes missing I'm SoL and I'm positive no reimbursement policy is in place, that why mailing is the preferred method for single item transfers and bulk is done via shipping due to the costs.

Hey maybe if we increase the text size of the posts that might get somebodys attention.

If you a GM or  CM  or  CA and dont agree with this then lets get some concentrated feedback to whoever is in charge and at least get an explanation?

Also yes we are aware that WURMS codes looks like 350,000 lines of train wrecks that needs fixed. 

I did not see any kind of communication with the community or an explanation of why this change was needed.

This game has a long history of yanking the rug out of the playerbase first then going OOPS and reverting back..

I dont want to start a flame war with the long list of changes that this has happened with. 

BARON your the PR guy get in here and talk.

IF you think this is going away Id suggest you rethink it a bit more

Also a certain fraction of the playerbase does the forums but I think alot more do not. 

1. Where are we at with the thing?
  2. One says this, one says that. But that was dependent upon the other thing.
  3. Who was it that did that?
  4. I do not know. Wait, actually I did another thing and that changes this and that depends on the next thing.
  5. Which thing?
  6. The one where we have the original thing, this and the other stuff.
  7. Aaah yes… So where are we at with the next thing?

Sounds to me like you guys need a Project Managment Planner. 

If this is how dev communication takes place and nobody can agree on what is going on HOW can you make good player base decisions?

IN order to build one must be able to communicate effectivly.  Having everybody be silly nilly on seperate projects without any kind of cross refrencing or idea check is just nuts.

So now that we know how it works..  PLEASE get a hold of the DEV that made this change instead of just noting the update.  THEN have them explain WHY..and tell US. Thx.

A good fix. Mail abuse made the game too easy for a long time.

Edited by Judicator

A good fix. Mail abuse made the game too easy for a long time.

Define easy, you mean less time consuming?

• Like 1

I think he's trolling.

One thing that people need to understand is that more time wasted doesn't mean more difficult, and more difficult doesn't mean better.

• Like 2

There's a difference between "difficulty" and "unnecessary annoyance".

The awful awful pain it is to build a ship, getting the mind logic to drive it = difficulty.

Winds that blow in the same direction for days on end, along with the existence itself of light breeze AND its seemingly "trolled by the devs" excessive frequency = unnecessary annoyance.

That should have been fixed BEFORE increasing the "difficulty" on mailing stuff, because instead of doing that, devs have managed to add yet another "unnecessary annoyance" to wurm.

• Like 2

Selling 94ql pitchforks with LT, MS, CoC, Nimb, and DM signature, specially made to raid for reverts, only 1 silver each! Hot out of my forge!

Edited by Druidnature

you make this post like your a trusted member of Wurm 

Edited by Cista

Nope, I just stated my opinion, that I like this change. My opinion is of no more value than anyone else's.

But I also correct those that falsely claim that sandbox should mean they can get anything they want in the game, instantly. In sandboxes, great achievements come through effort, and sorry to say, but sandbox games like EVE, Wurm or DarkFall, reward the dedicated player and make the casual player struggle. That's just how it is.

To join a hardcore sandbox game and then try and insult dedicated players with "you must have no life" when they defend the sandbox  nature of the game, is not nice (whoever said that in the posts above lol).

• Like 1

Nope, I just stated my opinion, that I like this change. My opinion is of no more value than anyone else's.

But I also correct those that falsely claim that sandbox should mean they can get anything they want in the game, instantly. In sandboxes, great achievements come through effort, and sorry to say, but sandbox games like EVE, Wurm or DarkFall, reward the dedicated player and make the casual player struggle. That's just how it is.

To join a hardcore sandbox game and then try and insult dedicated players with "you must have no life" when they defend the sandbox  nature of the game, is not nice (whoever said that in the posts above lol).

Fyi Cis, ppl have been asking for a change in the mailing system since years .. though somehow I do not think they meant something like this. So I don't know what "istantly" are you talking about, If you meant a response from the Code Club side, well its been more than a week now, and they failed to address the issue in their newest weekly update. Talk about an epic fail on the PR front ... a "we are thinking about it" wouldnt have been too hard, dont you think?

Sorry but I do not call sailing for hrs effort ... I call it annoyance. And anybody who says that the time has finally come for those ppl who are willing to sail for hrs to transport other ppl's goods get a reality check and use your common sense. Would you really trust a stranger that you know nothing about with an item worth 50s or even less?

If you did not have a bad experience with trading yet, good for you. I did, and not just once ... I cant say that waiting somebody for 3 days on Chaos is my most cherished memory. Yes, yes you could say that I was free to leave ... the thing is if I say I'll be there, then I'll be there, I like to keep my word ... I know I'm silly like that.

I'm not saying that that with removing the option of mailing unfinished items something like that will happen all the time, but it will be most definitely a more common occurance.

If you do not like use mailing, okay .. then dont. But why limit us who do use it even more? It just doesnt make sense to me  :huh:

Edited by Nikab
  • Like 1

Selling 94ql pitchforks with LT, MS, CoC, Nimb, and DM signature, specially made to raid for reverts, only 1 silver each! Hot out of my forge!

The didn't fit in the mailbox. Can you deliver? You will need to put a cart in your boat so you can drive on land after you change servers on the ship. And bring rope. You will need to catch horses for your cart. :-P

• Like 2

Quick summary for those not following why this was a bad change:

It was not needed.

This never hurt anyone. If I send myself an unfinished whatever it doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay. I didn't send unfinished items but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of realizing that others had great use for this. Instead of sitting up on a high horse and moralizing the use of the "buggy volume of unfinished items" perhaps come down to the level of the players. The players who didn't hurt anyone by using this, we are the ones being punished for no reason. Sure we don't send unfinished items every day and it won't massively hurt the economy or whatever (but neither did being able to send unfinished items), but this was something that was useful to us. This was changed for the sake of changing it rather than for a reason, and it only serves to worsen the gameplay. I'm sure the invisible spirits that deliver items across the server in 5 minutes bore no bigger burden with the unfinished items than it did with the pendulum I sent myself earlier today.

This is just another one of the haphazard changes to the game that got priority over the many playermade suggestions that would actually make a positive change in the game.

• Like 10

Well I am sorry to say, but in this game you are not automatically entitled to have all the same things that players have that are more active in the game than you. It doesn't work that way Same with skills in fact, those that have invested most time in the game, have the best skills.

If you don't wish to make the effort to get a special guard tower, just build an ordinary guard tower, they work quite well.

Also, riskless trade of items vs money between players is very easy to do, but it sounds to me as if you have never really played Wurm.

So why was sleep bonus introduced then?  My understanding was it came into effect to support players who are not as active due to having lives with work/kids/friends outside of wurm?  I am sure many very active players don't gain sleep bonus from sleeping in a bed since they never sleep in a bed long enough to get any, but I am also 100% sure these people would buy and use sleeping powders if they could.  The whole idea that you are somehow entitled to more of the game features just because you are a more active player than someone else does not hold water. Your statement "those that have invested most time in the game, have the best skills" is in conflict with the intention of using sleep bonus gained from being offline - so the devs in fact are recognizing the fact that some of us cannot be online all the time to grind skills, and made an option for us to gain skills in a different way.

The same goes for mailing. You cannot seriously believe that sailing 4, 8 or 16 hours to and fro makes you a better gamer than someone who sends stuff via mail?   If you or anyone else wants to use travel for pick-up or delivery, and can afford the time, by all means, sail or travel by land to the remote areas of the different servers.  If you don't have that luxury, mailing should be an option just like gaining more skill via sleeping in a bed is an option.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 4

I'm gonna throw it right back at ya, Cista.

If you play 10 hours a day you're getting 300 hours a month worth of bandwidth and server processing power, while for the same amount of money, the player with a job who plays two hours a day only uses up 60 hours a month of bandwidth.

Those players are also way more likely to have more disposable income which they can use for larger deeds, expensive items like sculpting wands (wurm is not p2w btw) so....... using your logic..... 

They're keeping the game alive way more than you, thus allowing the sandbox to exist in the first place more than you.  You're thus smaller profits............................................................ ^_^

• Like 2

1) So why was sleep bonus introduced then?  

2) The whole idea that you are somehow entitled to more of the game features just because you are a more active player than someone else does not hold water. Your statement "those that have invested most time in the game, have the best skills" is in conflict with the intention of using sleep bonus gained from being offline

3) You cannot seriously believe that sailing 4, 8 or 16 hours to and fro makes you a better gamer than someone who sends stuff via mail? 

1) Exactly! Sleep bonus was made to help the casual players. In fact, the devs make the game easier all the time!  Just now they introduced the teleport of new villagers , and the friending-at-distance. This time the devs have made a decision that I guess they think keeps the game more realistic (and demanding), and the casual players are very offended at this. What can I say? I can only say that I think it is a fine change, that is just my opinion.

2) Making an effort for something is the opposite of entitlement. Everybody in Wurm knows that those with 99 in a skill have made an effort, you don't get to 99 easily just because there is now sleep bonus. Sleep bonus only reduces the gap a little between the casual and the dedicated gamer.

3) Can you define how we can stand out as a better player in Wurm if not by making an effort? Does spending weeks terraforming to make the perfect large deed gain you the admiration of your fellow players? Yes, strangely it does  :)  making an effort to gain something is exactly what makes us stand out in this game.

If you could have the whole deed mailed to you, you would not get that kind of respect. (Oh wait, you can!  You can simply buy a pretty deed from someone else). But when you get your friends visiting, the first thing they will ask is "wasn't it hard to terraform all those 8 million tiles?" and you say "oh no, I had the whole deed mailed to me, I only needed to add one brick to it" and they will say "oh i see, well I think it was fantastic that you added that brick yourself" and pad your back.  Or not lol 

Now you think I am ridiculous. But in Second Life you can have entire palaces mailed to you no problem. This is however not Second Life, and I applaud the devs for maintaining a game that rewards the dedicated players just a little bit more. The mail thing is just a small change, but is keeping it more realistic.

the biggest problem with this is not the update itself which probably was considered a bug for good reason,but that people has been asking for years for a complete change in the mailing system and they keep ignoring that and just making it worse.

if instead of this they had changed the mailing system so it makes sense what you can and cant mail,even if  that means fewer items can be mailed it,that would be a change most people woud like.

and of course there is always going to be people complaining about any change,even if they decide to give everybody a gold coin for christmas people would complain about how it lowers the value of their money.

• Like 1

Now you think I am ridiculous. But in Second Life you can have entire palaces mailed to you no problem. This is however not Second Life, and I applaud the devs for maintaining a game that rewards the dedicated players just a little bit more. The mail thing is just a small change, but is keeping it more realistic.

Boah - this sounds pretty insulting !!! So people like me, playing for month, spending time and money aren't worth to hear out ????

Sure I can't play 8 hrs per day - but I am less worth then you in this case ??

You are ridiculous indeed - and I do not think it - I just write it !

Instead of trying to create a playerbase split and figure out which subgroup has been catered to this time, it's probably a whole lot more realistic to say that this "update" was a bugfix for a feature that crept onto the list of bugs at some point - and not because someone's moaning has been heard by the dev side. It's likely that the latest additions to mailing UI and notifications mean that there's some dev attention to mailing again now.

Now they "only" need to confirm that they're willing to go deeper and look at the mailing system from a holistic standpoint, and start giving their players a heads up of where things are headed. Please tell us you're looking into this!

I'm all for more realistic limits on mailing, but only if we are given more features for deliveries across timezones and better sea travel!

• Like 3

1) Exactly! Sleep bonus was made to help the casual players. In fact, the devs make the game easier all the time!  Just now they introduced the teleport of new villagers , and the friending-at-distance. This time the devs have made a decision that I guess they think keeps the game more realistic (and demanding), and the casual players are very offended at this. What can I say? I can only say that I think it is a fine change, that is just my opinion.

2) Making an effort for something is the opposite of entitlement. Everybody in Wurm knows that those with 99 in a skill have made an effort, you don't get to 99 easily just because there is now sleep bonus. Sleep bonus only reduces the gap a little between the casual and the dedicated gamer.

3) Can you define how we can stand out as a better player in Wurm if not by making an effort? Does spending weeks terraforming to make the perfect large deed gain you the admiration of your fellow players? Yes, strangely it does  :)  making an effort to gain something is exactly what makes us stand out in this game.

If you could have the whole deed mailed to you, you would not get that kind of respect. (Oh wait, you can!  You can simply buy a pretty deed from someone else). But when you get your friends visiting, the first thing they will ask is "wasn't it hard to terraform all those 8 million tiles?" and you say "oh no, I had the whole deed mailed to me, I only needed to add one brick to it" and they will say "oh i see, well I think it was fantastic that you added that brick yourself" and pad your back.  Or not lol 

Once again I find it extremely ironic that people continue to refer to making things more realistic in a game with fantasy creatures, magic and a made-up lore and world.  Nobody ever said that you should not make an effort to gain skills or build a deed, they said that it is stupid to expect people to merely sail from point A to point B for hours and days on end, to pick up an unfinished item.  You cannot skill grind or build deeds while sailing...so your point is mute.

Edited by Osiris
  • Like 4

I saw this show where people came with a truck and loaded a house on it and moved teh entire house far away...

So don't tell me sending an unfinished forge isn't realism!

I dont think they put a postage stamp on on that house and sent it in the mail though :lol:

The $40 and some change I pulled off my credit card to play the next two months on my two toons is all the effort I need to make. Therein lies my entitlement.

• Like 2

You cannot skill grind or build deeds while sailing...so your point is mute.

That is exactly my point  :)   In this game which I happen to love, you cannot achieve everything, you are not entitled to have everything that everyboy else has, everything comes to you through a cost or an effort. 

Choose whether you wish to travel to make trades, or stay home and grind your skills, or terraform your neighbourhood. We are not all the same snowflake. Pure sandbox. 

Anyway, the discussion has derailed. As several others have pointed out today, this was an obvious bug/exploit fix that was coming from a long way out.

Of course massive objects are not supposed to be mailed, finished or unfinished. Not worth the *effort* to get so worked up over really.

I am out.

Edited by Cista

That is exactly my point  :)   In this game which I happen to love, you cannot achieve everything, you are not entitled to have everything that everyboy else has, everything comes to you through a cost or an effort. 

Choose whether you wish to travel to make trades, or stay home and grind your skills, or terraform your neighbourhood. We are not all the same snowflake. Pure sandbox. 

Exactly.  We are not all the same snowflake.  Some of us do not wish to spend forever traveling.  I am glad that you do but that doesn't mean we should all have to.  You have finally said something that made sense.

• Like 1