Sign in to follow this  
silakka

no skill loss at 100

Nearly 100digging and there's always risk of dying to unintended bugs..

Im very keen to my path of love and would never get over 40meditating / spend hassle with PoK

I wouldn't mind losing skill on 96-99 skills, but 100 should *lock up* as one has mastered it.

I think it's fair to take out skill loss from 99.999996 skill?

Because losing 0.25 from it can often mean over 6months of work lost.

losing 0.25 from 99 > 98.75.. that's just 1week to get it back up and I wouldn't complain about that.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 26

No skill loss

Gained at level 9

All skills, except Fighting skill, are preserved when you die: "You understand how to cement your knowledge, never forgetting anything".

50 medi is very easy to get and Thought Eater is a nice title

I know you don't want to change from love to knowledge, but this should easily convince you

• Like 7

Add this to PvE servers at least. +1.

• Like 1

I don't mind losing skill points on other skills

Just take it out from the 100.

• Like 2

No skill loss

Gained at level 9

All skills, except Fighting skill, are preserved when you die: "You understand how to cement your knowledge, never forgetting anything".

50 medi is very easy to get and Thought Eater is a nice title

I know you don't want to change from love to knowledge, but this should easily convince you

easy to get but it takes 6 moths to reach level 9, hard to not die for that long

• Like 2

I'm on path of knowledge 10th level, but still give this +1, because not everyone is on PoK.

• Like 3

Have to say a big -1 to this from me.

A better solution would be to just not die. The thing that I absolutely hate with a passion about games like World of Warcraft and etc, is that death has little to no consequences. If there is no incentive not to die, the game loses its immersive feel and the true fun of the already-dull combat system.

If you have high skills and sub-par fighting skills, you may wish to train them up, or everytime you see a troll you'll be running for your life in fear :P

Edited by whereami
  • Like 3

Sorry Sil, but I have to say I'm against this. PoK is there for a reason, and if you have time to get a skill to 100, you have time to get lvl 9 in a meditation path.

I can't get behind the idea of ignoring a beneficial option and then asking for that benefit without the cost in specific situations.

• Like 2

In freedom I dont die. But im going to chaos and im new to it..

Not prepared for drakespirits etc.

Im totally fine with losing fight skill and all that, but over 120hours of sleepbonus skilling lost in a tiny mistake dont seem fair

This update wouldnt affect anyone negatively, I think it would be a positive little addition for us passionate skillers who like a bit of risk

I did have time for 100skill, but extra 6months hiding in a cave until i get 9lvl on PoK isnt cool.

In 1-3years more people start to get 100skills and why should there be a punishment for getting uber high skills.

• Like 3

If we didn't already have a feature that did that, sure I'd agree with it. But because you chose not to take PoK, that was your decision in the long run.

Anyway I'm just one opinion. It depends more what the balance of the community thinks. Ultra grats on the digging skill :)

• Like 1

it make PoK obsolete.. 

If you have good knowledge of valrei mobs, 70fs+, decent gear, fast horse or 10kmph+ boat, most valreis easily avoided. Unless you are unlucky and 10 drakespirits decide to spawn right above you. 

If you are trying to do it 'stupidly' though, idk... take the risk ;p .

Its not like you going to be very unlucky of losing digging on a single unlucky death :P ...

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 2

Choices.. choices.. what will you value more, keeping yourself on current meditation path or not losing skill upon death. You have the choice, it is all up to you.

Edited by rixk
  • Like 2

You want to take the risks... risks have consequences... your wanting to take the consequence out.. so therefore your risk is not a risk... so what is this post about?  I hit 100 I want the easy road?  Sorry, that's not wurm my friend :)

• Like 5

I sacrificed PoL enchant grass because I didn´t want to loose crafting skills upon death, so I picked PoK instead, this will just make all sacrifice, the money expended for grass and all hard training I made useless.

• Like 1

+1 ONLY for skills that have reached 100 (PvE only).  Exception being combat skills.

However this idea seems to get a lot of hostility, might be a better idea to change how skills recover after death (So instead of a base rate of 3x gain make it skill-leve-before-death/10 x gain.  So someone who loses 0.25 of their 100 skill will gain it back at 10x (or even 20x with SB) the speed).

• Like 1

+1 ONLY for skills that have reached 100 (PvE only).  Exception being combat skills.

However this idea seems to get a lot of hostility, might be a better idea to change how skills recover after death (So instead of a base rate of 3x gain make it skill-leve-before-death/10 x gain.  So someone who loses 0.25 of their 100 skill will gain it back at 10x (or even 20x with SB) the speed).

That could work too

0.25 loss is designed more for under 98skills

answer to post below:

Time is worth more than money.

Edited by silakka

Risk versus reward. Honestly, if you're not prepared to lose precious skills... skills aren't the half of it. If losing something as trivial as a skill freaks you out then Chaos is not for you. 100 digging, 99.75 digging, what does it matter? You've already won that aspect of the game at that point.

Chaos is not this big, scary, death-filled place with campers at every borderline and starting town, where you insta-die the moment you leave deed. Peoples minds have been very twisted about chaos and I'm not sure where this stems from. Most PVP occurs in groups, and there are few times I have seen places "camped". People have tried to camp the Freedom<>Chaos border, and we smeared them for it. *cough cough Kingen cough* ;)

Using simple common sense will allow you to mostly avoid death on Chaos, in PVP it really isn't much different. You drop below 75%, back out and heal up. Don't outstam and always know your outs, and you're golden.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1

btw PvP: no skill loss, only FS loss and some body stats

only PvE kills can drop your precious 100 skill with 0.25. And lets be honest, what are the odds that it picks that skill you got 100 ... 3 out of 150 skills or so? so 2%? Also if you are stupid to die in pve, get trapped, etc, then you should have considered path of knowledge.

That's why I said drakespirits

And with my odds it's 100%

Question is, why punish those who already went a long difficult path.

This wouldn't take anything away from an average chipper chap :)

It wouldn't take anything away from you, sure. But from the game? Drop selfish reasons and think about the bigger picture; the actual risk of playing the game and being in a fight. If you have no reason to fear death there is no reason not to Zerg everything because you won't lose anything from it.

Edited by whereami

It is of my opinion that things in this game are backwards, in regards to skill loss upon death.

I feel a character should not lose skill upon death, unless the death is directly cause by the hands of another player. And, in that case where a player dies by another's hands, the losing party should only lose skillpoints in the skill that the affinity is stripped from. This coincides with the "power" or the affinity being transferred to the other person (although no skillgain is actually awarded to the winner).

It makes no sense that you can lose 0.25 skill in five different skills, by dying in a fight with a lava feind... or by dying to a bug that pulls you from a multistorey level to ground level. Where does that skill go? I lost knowledge of digging to a lava fiend? A bug in the game made me forget how to botanize? Cmon.

I wont +1 this suggestion, because it only benefits players with 100 skill. I do, however, see an issue with skill loss upon death in an overall sense, and think something should be done to change it. Path benefit(s) would have to change then too, but that's easy. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder about people.  It's only for mainly one skill here and there, it's like, a hard earned reward, for a very rare occurrence.  Nowhere near anything at all does it make knowledge useless, that saves ANY skill minus fs from the loss, at ANY level.

Think about it as a game.  Just because an accident happened and you had the worst luck doesn't mean you can't have some reward that prevents loss in a 100 skill.  It doesn't ruin anything, it doesnt make anything worse for anyone, it just says 'here's a little reward so you don't have to spend months getting your skill back'.  People don't realize how hard it is to get skill passed 99.99, or even more so 99-real 100, it's like grinding from 1-99 all over again

• Like 5

Really the skill loss from death is silly. Fighting skill I can see but digging? Come on. I'm all for this suggestion. As a reward its next to nothing but a little security.