Sign in to follow this  
silakka

no skill loss at 100

Well you get the title at what..  99.999996 right?  (6 decimals or w/e with 6 as the last?)

You get the title, and it's not like losing 0.25 from 99.99999 is detrimental lol; even at lower skills that's barely any difference.

not on epic :(

well duh it doesn't count everybody knows THAAAt

I could definitely support this. If you become an absolute master of a skill, why on earth would you lose that ever?

• Like 1

+1   I even have knowledge and I don't agree that its "easy" to get the no skill loss perk.

I'd completely remove skill loss and change knowledge path reward to something else...hmm get my x.y location maybe.

• Like 1

Well you get the title at what..  99.999996 right?  (6 decimals or w/e with 6 as the last?)

You get the title, and it's not like losing 0.25 from 99.99999 is detrimental lol; even at lower skills that's barely any difference.

99.75 to 99.999996 is roughly same as getting 1-95mining or 1-98digging

People don't realize how hard the last little decimals actually are - even in HFC

At the moment im gaining 0.000130 from 2hours of sleepbonus and I still need 0.0023 = about 50hours or more left to 100 - with SB

Everytime I think it's 30hours to reach my goal, it adds up 30hours.. never ending path :rolleyes:

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

I could agree with all of you if no in game mechanics existed to prevent this, but there is one, PoK.

Wen I had to choose a path, I choose PoK, because even wen I know first perks on it are useless, the reward at medium and high level justify the sacrifice.

Probably most of you made a different choice, and yo know beforehand the consequences of that choice.

Several times PoK people have stared topics here and there asking for little more incentive at first levels of the path and got bashed down because they said PoK was already OP at final levels, and now you want for free what have took me several months (in fact 2 years for me, but i´m not a power leveling player type, and i know there is people that can do the same in less time than me) to achieve.

Just look at the meditation perks table, PoK is probably the lamest path in the first 2 levels, and even the level 11 perk of all the other paths is on par with PoK perk, so pok is far from being op in any way.

There is not a reasonable real reason to loose all your gear if you die and can´t find your corpse on PvE  (on PvP is fine), yet you do, and wen you played the game for more than 10 hours you learned that in the hard way, and yet you made the choice to keep playing, how it is fair if now I made a post requesting no item drop on pve servers deaths? I bet i get flooded with -1 and trolling posts.

This is about the same.

Is one of the wonderful features of Wurm, you made choices, and that choices impact your gameplay for the years to come.

• Like 1

I could agree with all of you if no in game mechanics existed to prevent this, but there is one, PoK.

That sums up how I feel about this unfortunately. You make a choice, you deal with the consequences.

Wen I had to choose a path, I choose PoK, because even wen I know first perks on it are useless, the reward at medium and high level justify the sacrifice.

Probably most of you made a different choice, and yo know beforehand the consequences of that choice.

Several times PoK people have stared topics here and there asking for little more incentive at first levels of the path and got bashed down because they said PoK was already OP at final levels, and now you want for free what have took me several months (in fact 2 years for me, but i´m not a power leveling player type, and i know there is people that can do the same in less time than me) to achieve.

Just look at the meditation perks table, PoK is probably the lamest path in the first 2 levels, and even the level 11 perk of all the other paths is on par with PoK perk, so pok is far from being op in any way.

There is not a reasonable real reason to loose all your gear if you die and can´t find your corpse on PvE  (on PvP is fine), yet you do, and wen you played the game for more than 10 hours you learned that in the hard way, and yet you made the choice to keep playing, how it is fair if now I made a post requesting no item drop on pve servers deaths? I bet i get flooded with -1 and trolling posts.

This is about the same.

Is one of the wonderful features of Wurm, you made choices, and that choices impact your gameplay for the years to come.

This is a suggestion for 100 skills

If I had 5x 98 skills and lost in all 0.25 - it wouldn't  hurt, because that can be fixed easily in a few days or a week

100 skill is a big difference compared to 1-99skills, because weeks turn in to months or years when you lose even a few decimals.

= In order to get 100 skill, you must have PoK - why restrict players so harshly in a game

A death with 100skill is same as losing 95mining back to 1 suddenly.

• Like 4

I really, really think that the best overall solution to this, is to simply use your head and not die.

What is it exactly that you're afraid of? Drakespirits? Drakes are weak as s##t aside from their stun attack, not to mention they move at about 8-11 KMH. If you're in a boat they can easily be outrun (which is where most drakes are found, in the water)

Nogumps are probably the worst of all the Valrei mobs, but I went toe to toe with three of them for lulz yesterday. And yes, I got my s##t wrecked, but I still got out of it alive because I used my head.

Edited by whereami

Choices and long term planning are very important in Wurm. If you are nearly at 100 digging then you must have been planning or known for quite some time that you were approaching 100 and that one unlucky PvE kill could set you back months. So at that time you could have chosen to aim for the Path of Knowledge in order to keep that skill safe from any decay, but instead you stayed with the Path of Love. If you don't want your digging skill to decay then you can still switch path even now.

If I had 5x 98 skills and lost in all 0.25 - it wouldn't  hurt, because that can be fixed easily in a few days or a week

100 skill is a big difference compared to 1-99skills, because weeks turn in to months or years when you lose even a few decimals.

= In order to get 100 skill, you must have PoK - why restrict players so harshly in a game

I disagree that you must have PoK. As long as you play it safe and possibly have invested into fighting related skills and equipment then there should be no reason for you to die in PvE. Secondly you don't need to get 100 in a skill, the advantage is minor compared to the massive investment. If you are going for such a massive investment then you either know how to play it safe, or will learn it the hard way. If you like taking risks in game then you can take PoK in order to reduce the consequences of those risks. Silakka is also the perfect example that you can get to 100 without PoK, as he implied that he already has 99.999996 digging.

Just as Silakka I also nearly have digging at 100 and I feel that the system is fine as it is. You really don't need a skill at 100 except to show off, as the mechanical advantages are minor, and once you have the title for getting to 100 it doesn't even matter if the skill drops down due to a death as you keep the title once it's unlocked (if I'm not mistaken).

So if you feel it is important to you to get one or more skills to 100 and you don't like avoiding risks or playing it safe, then get PoK.

But while we're at it, I'd love to get the Refresh ability from the Path of Love for free as I don't want to switch from my current meditation path either. Let's make all the meditation abilities free to everybody while we're at it, because there's more people who probably don't want to switch a path but would like to have at least one ability from another Path, so why not? /sarcasm

99.75 to 99.999996 is roughly same as getting 1-95mining or 1-98digging

People don't realize how hard the last little decimals actually are - even in HFC

At the moment im gaining 0.000130 from 2hours of sleepbonus and I still need 0.0023 = about 50hours or more left to 100 - with SB

Everytime I think it's 30hours to reach my goal, it adds up 30hours.. never ending path :rolleyes:

I know that it's a ton of work, i'm just trying to make the point that it doesn't really yield you much benefit, considering the amount of work...   like you could get another skill to 90 in the time it takes you to get digging to 99.99 or w/e...  but sentiment can be more powerful than actual need, I understand :)

Yeah why not. 100 skill is hard enough, should be a perk of it IMO.

There are valid arguments for and against this. Ultimately, I don't think it would hurt anyone having a skill locked once you reach 100 in it. At the same time, once you have 100 in a skill, you're probably experienced enough to avoid normal pve deaths, so it's not really necessary in most cases, unless someone got rather unlucky.

I understand your suggestion is based on you want to try out pvp?

Half the thrill of entering pvp is the thought of what you might loose if you die, the other half is what you may gain if you win. if you want to play it safe skill wise there is a meditation path that does that for you, if you want to boost you combat abilities there are other meditation paths for that.

Getting 50 meditation skill to protect your 100 digging is easier than grinding the last bit of your digging.

But why just 100 skill, what about 99.9999999? or 99.99? I have died and lost points in a skill above 99, spend the half year grinding it back, so I chose path of knowledge as soon as I saw what it could do. What you are asking for is allready ingame.

• Like 1

If you die in pvp you don't need to worry about a 100 skill unless its fighting or such, if you somehow die to a drakespirit and lose a bunch of skills, theres still only a small chance that the skill you have at 100 will be affected, even then its part of the game.  If you are going to remove skill lose at 100, it should be removed across the board, nobody should get special treatment just because they got 100 in something, especially not when there are already other methods to prevent skill loss on death as mentioned by Mith above.

Nah the knowledge path already took a hit in usefulness when Rolf removed skill decay on un-used skills over 70. Course that was to encourage accounts that go inactive longterm. Could still have the un-used skill decay on just active accounts.

• Like 1

Course that was to encourage accounts that go inactive longterm. Could still have the un-used skill decay on just active accounts.

You're leaving out another reason. That reason is that it's detrimental to ACTIVE player's psyche to constantly be re-training a skill that has decayed. How bad it was or how easy it was to gain back is not what I think is important. What is important is that players where complaining and unhappy so a change was made.

I really, really think that the best overall solution to this, is to simply use your head and not die.

I think I've died to non-pvp reasons three times in the past two years, sadly, two were due to bugs, which you can't usually just use your head and avoid

• Like 4

You're leaving out another reason. That reason is that it's detrimental to ACTIVE player's psyche to constantly be re-training a skill that has decayed. How bad it was or how easy it was to gain back is not what I think is important. What is important is that players where complaining and unhappy so a change was made.

The encouraging inactive accounts was Rolf's stated reason, and I could easily see the argument in that situation. Its not unusual for players that are active military or some other employment requiring long absences. In fact the inverse periods of downtime tend to attract such.

The older accounts maybe; though, even as an old account I can see the benefits to skill decay (for skills over 70), as far as allowing newer chars to climb the level cliff and compete in an environment with high level accounts (both pvp and pve).

Not to mention it reduces the number of jackofalltrade accounts.

EDIT: Personally I could care less about keeping some skill I barely use above 70 (though if I barely used it to begin with... wth is it doing above 70? Title-whoring is for those that deed alone and miserable. Much more fun to specialize and interact with others imho).

Granted one can still ###### alot of titles at 70.

Edited by Klaa

No skill loss[editar]

Gained at level 9

All skills, except Fighting skill, are preserved when you die: "You understand how to cement your knowledge, never forgetting anything".

No skill loss[editar]

Gained at level 9

All skills, except Fighting skill, are preserved when you die: "You understand how to cement your knowledge, never forgetting anything".

Above 99 skill, lose 0.05 on death or something. It's extremely slow at that point and the thought of losing 0.25 is meh.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 1