Sign in to follow this  
silakka

no skill loss at 100

Hate to be biased as an Enlightened on PoK, but I disagree.

Get yourself to 50 Meditation on PoK and enjoy the perks of not losing skills when dying. ;)

I'd almost argue that you shouldn't lose FS either... but maybe save that for a 90 skill perk...

Scale the loss with the gain rates. When you have 10 points in a skill, how much punishment is the loss? Compare that to 100. Maybe do a ratio or something. Loss = Base Loss/Skill. I;m sure gain slowdowns must be logarithmic so it's not quite that simple.

-or-

Don't go dragon hunting when you have a 100 skill. Not the suggestion I would want since pretty much your safest incentive is to build a house with no doors around yourself at this point.

EDIT: But then, Wurm is not only a game about survival in the wilderness. It's a game about harsh punishments for not surviving. Lose your stuff and your skills then run around naked looking for your stuff that you know is camped by whatever killed you. LOL Rather grim but that's how it tends to work for me.

Edited by Audrel

Have to say a big -1 to this from me.

A better solution would be to just not die. The thing that I absolutely hate with a passion about games like World of Warcraft and etc, is that death has little to no consequences. If there is no incentive not to die, the game loses its immersive feel and the true fun of the already-dull combat system.

If you have high skills and sub-par fighting skills, you may wish to train them up, or everytime you see a troll you'll be running for your life in fear :P

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

No way.

Rules are rules right?

yes, and OP is asking for some of the rules to be revised, to enhance the overall experience of the game, can you dig that? I can dig that.

+1

haha

just like that one time i was digging, dropped dirt, and instantly fell over dead

just like that one time i was walking in a mine, stepped on a reinforced floor tile and fell over dead

just like that one time i walked into a lead vein and instantly suffocated

so on so forth

I don't think the OP has an issue with dying per say, i think he has an issue with dying to unintended things like the three examples i listed above and losing skill for it, and 90% of the time, you will not get reimbursed for dying to a bug without a very large group whining about it with you.

I see the arguments from both sides, but I think it should be a perk of having 100.00 in a skill.

+1 from me.

• Like 1

Meh there should be some loss from dying. That sting provides an incentive to improve and makes the game gritter.

Personally even the skill decay for skills over 70 was fine, granted it affecting inactive accounts was a bit much.

Granted there are plenty of bugged ways to die in this game.

• Like 1

With the digging bug where if people dig under you and you de-sync I would be careful :P I know a few people who have died to this game breaking bug.

+1, there should be a few perks to go with reaching a solid 100 in a skill.

• Like 1

Okay as I've read through all that and no-one else has suggested it, I will.

How about a compromise ? As a perk of getting the 100 title: USING that title locks the skill so no skill loss. Therefore if you have more than one skill at 100 you might still want to invest in PoK, but if you only have 1 skill at 100, it's an incentive to USE the title.

The way I wogicalise skill-loss on death is brain-damage causing memory loss. Unless you are trained in PoK, how can you hope to avoid these consequences. But I sympathise. You shouldn't have to give up the rest of Wurm life just because you're Highly skilled.

I personally wouldn't object to this being a perk of having reached 100, end-of-discussion. PoK is great for everything before 100, and for those willing to accept loss right up to this point, and in every other skill less than 100, I don't see why they should be forced to use PoK or never step foot outside again.

PoK was conceived long before 100 titles were, without the end-skill mechanics being taken into account. PoK still has a function for everything conceived of before 100 titles were conceived of. No-one pushed beyond 99 until these were implimented, and it's obvious the penalty is too extreme. I don't want to see Freedom work like Epic, in that you HAVE to do everything the same way as everyone else or suffer the consequences.

• Like 3

How about a compromise ? As a perk of getting the 100 title: USING that title locks the skill so no skill loss. Therefore if you have more than one skill at 100 you might still want to invest in PoK, but if you only have 1 skill at 100, it's an incentive to USE the title.

If only kingdom leaders were able to change their titles.  As someone with near 100 in a few skills now that supports this thread, I can't agree with this solution

I really don't see a problem with that. I mean reaching 100 in any skill should be celebrated. Whoever spent enough time to get to 100 skill should be rewarded.

And this comes from one with 70 meditation on PoK.

So +1

• Like 1

Well you get the title at what..  99.999996 right?  (6 decimals or w/e with 6 as the last?)

You get the title, and it's not like losing 0.25 from 99.99999 is detrimental lol; even at lower skills that's barely any difference.

not on epic :(

If only kingdom leaders were able to change their titles.  As someone with near 100 in a few skills now that supports this thread, I can't agree with this solution

I can see why, though I had to hunt back to confirm.

If the question is what should be done assuming Kingdom titles aren't changed and 100 skill titles aren't available on Epic curve, then the OP is unreservedly the best solution.

As a sidenote though, last I checked the titles wiki page there was a column added for Epic with some entries. Not that that solves the issue for the Kingdom Leaders, but that's a separate thread.

I can see why, though I had to hunt back to confirm.

If the question is what should be done assuming Kingdom titles aren't changed and 100 skill titles aren't available on Epic curve, then the OP is unreservedly the best solution.

As a sidenote though, last I checked the titles wiki page there was a column added for Epic with some entries. Not that that solves the issue for the Kingdom Leaders, but that's a separate thread.

Those older posts are outdated, Epic got 100 level titles sometime after.  Even if kingdom leaders could change titles, I still don't agree with having to wear the title

Those older posts are outdated, Epic got 100 level titles sometime after.  Even if kingdom leaders could change titles, I still don't agree with having to wear the title

That's what I liked in his suggestion - not everyone has to wear the title if they dont want.

But atleast there'd be some kind of an option

That's what I liked in his suggestion - not everyone has to wear the title if they dont want.

But atleast there'd be some kind of an option

The thing is, the op mentions you not wanting to die from bugs while nearing 100

Dying just shy of it is much worse than dying once you have reached 100 and got the title.

I am pretty sure the reason most people work towards 100 is to say that they have reached it, which they now have the titles for, not for the tiny bit of extra benefit from having 1 more skill point.

Why not change how skill loss works?

Like skill loss on death = 10x basic skill gain (no modfiers, or best possible outcome). I mean stuff like WS at 70+ a death can mean a long time coming. I mean, in a lazy day 0,25 is what i get grinding WS (no SB) at 50-ish skill.

• Like 1

Why not change how skill loss works?

Like skill loss on death = 10x basic skill gain (no modfiers, or best possible outcome). I mean stuff like WS at 70+ a death can mean a long time coming. I mean, in a lazy day 0,25 is what i get grinding WS (no SB) at 50-ish skill.

This seems the most fair to all.

I won't mind that you get to grind your way to no skill loss as long as I get to grind my way to double stamina and refreshes.

• Like 1

+1.  Getting a skill to 100 seems like an insane accomplishment, to the point where I doubt I'll ever see one myself. Someone with that much dedication to the game, who puts in so much time and effort should get some sort of perk related to that skill.

I see a lot of people saying 'just get path of knowledge'. True, that stops skill loss at any level, but the time investment needed to get a skill to 100 makes it so that it's a relatively rare achievement. Unless you're trying to say that anyone ever should use path of knowledge because there's no reason to ever have any alternatives. If that's the case, why should there even be more paths?