Sign in to follow this  
Pragmatist

Key combo to snap turning mounts/carts to 90 degrees

Apologies for the cumbersome titleĀ  :-[

Most roads in Wurm run N,S,E or W in a straight line. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to line up my mount or cart in exactly the right direction. This means that as I go along it gradually drifts off to one side and I then over-compensate on the turn and end up zigzagging across the road.

Could we have a key combo (maybe Shift+turn or double-tap the turn key) that "snaps" the mount to the nearest N,S,E or W angle, at normal turning speed? Or does such a thing already exist and I've missed it?

+1000

Absolutely, it's one of my bigger irritations to have to correct course every few steps.

I read 'snap turn' as something that would happen instantly and help you get away at first.

But to my surprise, it was not what I had thought and I was very pleasantly surprised. I love this idea.

+1

Great idea, would be a nice addition to the game.

+1 If it were to be added i would want it to be an assignable keybind.

I read 'snap turn' as something that would happen instantly and help you get away at first.

But to my surprise, it was not what I had thought and I was very pleasantly surprised. I love this idea.

+1

Have to -1 this just because its not realistic at all.

There is already a keybind to center your view horizontally (z by default), although it does not affect mounts, ships nor carts. This sounds like a nice addition

As opposed to a horse that would rather walk into some thorn bushes or against a wall instead of following the roadĀ  ;D

I posted this suggestion on Uservoice. Go vote for it!

Sorry, but I can't find the suggestion on there.

+1 For sure, would love to see this implemented.

I don't like the fact that it would enable you to press x and go for lunch.

• Like 1

I don't like the fact that it would enable you to press x and go for lunch.

so what do you have against lunch? ;-)

+1 to this idea, i hate going down a long straight road and having to constantly shift back and forth. feels like skiing sometimes.

Right, like the wonky control we have now is realistic.

Oh, and +1 to this idea, I also hate the horses drifting off the road because I can't get the controls to align centered on the road.

Edited by Vroomfondel

+1 Please, please, please....*Begs on hands and knees*

Its so annoying to be flip flopping between turn keys going down the road because I can't get the cart to drive parallel to the road.

+1 and for regular movement as well. You can more easily mouse-look and get centered, but it's still rather annoying sometimes when you're walking a long straight road. It's extremely annoying for mounts though, you'd think a horse would know how to walk straight...

bump....I want my vehicle to go perfectly parallel with the road. I could use a foot movement version for farming.

Everything in life does not go straight. When a person walks, they naturally drift to one side or another. When a car goes down the road, it tends to naturally drift(sometimes helped by poor alignment). When a horse walks, it does not go straight. So what your saying is you want something so you don't have to pay attention, you can set up a long straight away, hit X and go ask for a bit? Negative thats horrible logic. Learn to drive and pay attention to the road.

As far as the user voice thing, where can we vote against it as that site is rather one sided and from I see only allows for votes for it.

I don't really know what kind of variables exist to work with... and how easily a snap to direction could be added.

What about making the effects of using "a" and "d" more precise, ie. smaller value of change, so one could get in the middle rather than just a tiny bit either side of the middle as it is now?

If you want to have a little fun thinking about other possibilities:

• having one horse with fleeter and the other without would tend to drift you opposite the fleeter.
  • having horses that aren't fully fed drifts you towards grass (put an inexprienced rider on a horse in real life and I guarrantee they'll be stopped in the trees chewing leaves in no time at all.)
  • take a deep breath, it's just a thought for those of us who really like horses and would find it amusing to see more A.I. driving realistic behavior

Either way though, I think just reducing whatever variable that determines how much of an effect a and d have might be a good start. Kind of like tightening the steering on a car.

• Like 1

I don't really know what kind of variables exist to work with... and how easily a snap to direction could be added.

What about making the effects of using "a" and "d" more precise, ie. smaller value of change, so one could get in the middle rather than just a tiny bit either side of the middle as it is now?

If you want to have a little fun thinking about other possibilities:

• having one horse with fleeter and the other without would tend to drift you opposite the fleeter.
  • having horses that aren't fully fed drifts you towards grass (put an inexprienced rider on a horse in real life and I guarrantee they'll be stopped in the trees chewing leaves in no time at all.)
  • take a deep breath, it's just a thought for those of us who really like horses and would find it amusing to see more A.I. driving realistic behavior

Either way though, I think just reducing whatever variable that determines how much of an effect a and d have might be a good start. Kind of like tightening the steering on a car.

I like everything you said here. Having mismatched horses is like having mismatched tires on your car, hunger is one of the greatest distractions in the animal kingdom, and not being able to line up with the road is kind of absurd. I mean, just a light tap on A or D will send you careening from one side of the road to the other, which is not realistic at all. A "snap straight" option might be going a little too far, but we definitely need something better than we have now.