Sign in to follow this  
Darkren

New bashing animals mechanics

why not just:

1.  Make Bashing down walls for non-uniques take a longer time.

2.  Give deed owners the option to tell their guards to only attack animals that are bashing walls.

But the real cause of this is the exploiting to pen uniques, which was never meant to be by Rolf. If this woudln't ever happened we wouldn't have bashing creatures now. Try to arrange with that until we get a better solution..

But the real cause of this is the exploiting to pen uniques, which was never meant to be by Rolf. If this woudln't ever happened we wouldn't have bashing creatures now. Try to arrange with that until we get a better solution..

Dang... maybe a building rule should apply - aggro mob in a house prevents it being built on or something like that. But that wouldn't prevent fences or stone walls... Meh, maybe aggro mobs/uniques who can't move more than 50 tiles from their current position in two days should pine away, to respawn elsewhere?

Meh, maybe aggro mobs/uniques who can't move more than 50 tiles from their current position in two days should pine away, to respawn elsewhere?

just make the damn trools to find they'r way around instead of going in a straight f****** line that is the most anoying thing i faced in this game so far (and trust me as every1 else knows there are many things that almost make u quit.. but we get over it )

anyway seeing a trool bashing down 7 fences  offdeed and 4 on deed just because he tought it would be a great idea to co trough them is plain wrong.

i never had penned down trolls he came from ofdeed passed trough my deed and at one corner he totaly devastated a fenced corner to get to the water ,when all he could do was just to walk few more tiles down to the left then back to the right.. but no he goes straight trough and moves in circles right where my fences were making a complete mess.

if it was just 1 fence i wouldnt mine rebuilding , but 7 iron fences down  by the first trool passing by it's damn stupid when again he had clear way around it, and don't tell me they can't go around it because i saw spiders and bears and wolfs and all kinds of other agros going around preety long fences to get to me .

here's some screenshot of what he done http://imgur.com/a/IbOy6

an idea to code this without bashing in straight line when not needed  could be so mobs would move along fences till they find a way to get to where they want..

now if is a pen and he moves in circles whenever it reaches same spot it bashes the fence then moves forward

when he encounters another fence repeat procces

that way they only bash fences when they penned in

also a setting that prevents them entering deeded terrain would be nice

would be nice if gaurds would attack BASHING mobs up to 3-4 tiles out into perim... For those players who have fencelines at the edge of thier deeds.

There is a difference between fighting against the environment and dying to a wildcat, and coming from work to find your fences bashed animals killed and stuff looted. This is the kind of "emergent" gameplay (most) people on freedom don't want.

@ecrir - i agree that such a change would make this system good. Or any of the other good suggestions in this and other threads, the problem now is to make Rolf acknowledge that there is a problem and implement one of them.

I love getting on armor and weapon and going out to find/fight creatures (non trolls since FS is only 26).  But the real gist of the whole thing is exactly what Bdew said above.  I spent extra money for more templars (even adol troll will take templar 1-2 respawns to kill) so they have a better chance of killing trolls that walk on deed before they get to my walls.  Focused my first five months in game to setting up deeds to try to make sure I could not be griefed and getting AH up so I could breed horses.  Coming home to find them all dead or stolen due to mechanics I have absolutely no control over, would be devastating.

Already paying for deed protection on my walls (so they don't decay/can't be player-bashed). I fail to see why anyone should be forced to pay yet more upkeep to protect them from wandering trolls.

Deed walls should be non-bashable, with the exception of uniques (which is where all this mess has stemmed from).

Already paying for deed protection on my walls (so they don't decay/can't be player-bashed). I fail to see why anyone should be forced to pay yet more upkeep to protect them from wandering trolls.

Deed walls should be non-bashable, with the exception of uniques (which is where all this mess has stemmed from).

No the mess came from ppl penning creatures that have not mentioned to be penned. This is the real reason why we have this mess. If never ever someone had the idea to pen a Troll, those wouldn't bash our walls today.

@viruskiller, with  such an expession you must have a bad karma, and don't need to wonder, if Trolls like it to run straight through your deed instead of running around.

I agree.

I think uniques should just ignore walls because they can fly or are so big they just walk over.

PW, I'm not sure when you started playing but people have been penning animals since forever. There was no call for it to be changed to this chaotic shambles, it arose from people complaining about uniques being penned.

Apply this behaviour to uniques and simply put things back to when they worked perfectly well. Looks easy enough to me.

Apply this behaviour to uniques and simply put things back to when they worked perfectly well. Looks easy enough to me.

This.

I think uniques should just ignore walls because they can fly or are so big they just walk over.

Combined with this.

Simple, elegant... won't happen? :/

yeah why not, make them go through, i mean spiders walled in, they just can climp up walls so why not in wurm. or even a troll can climb over a tall wall if he wants, he just needs to hop a little to reach top and pull himself over.

But we would have still the problem with houses. But for this we could make a chekc, that specific creatutes in houses prevent those houses from beeing finished.

but this would meansome coding and wont be solved in a short time.

Simple, elegant... won't happen? :/

Doesn't mess up the game enough.

No the mess came from ppl penning creatures that have not mentioned to be penned. This is the real reason why we have this mess. If never ever someone had the idea to pen a Troll, those wouldn't bash our walls today.

@viruskiller, with  such an expession you must have a bad karma, and don't need to wonder, if Trolls like it to run straight through your deed instead of running around.

Pw u defending trools in there like they''d be your bothers... wonder if that's an actual fact or ficiton now...

I'm getting quite sick of this change.

Logged out late last night and deed was secure.  Login this morning and my fence is down and most of my animals have escaped and are being scarfed up by my dubious neighbors.

Folk with a simplistic viewpoint say "Ah, just hire a guard".  That doesn't stop bashing if your fence is on deed border.  And if you can't grow your deed because it butts perimeter against another deed, there is no solution (unless you call moving 100+ iron fences in one tile a solution).  Even if you do all that, some mobs (e.g. champ troll) can kill your guard and then bash your deed fence anyway.  Finally, if you want aggro pets, you can't even have a deed guard at all because either it kills your pets, or won't attack aggros, depending on your setting.  So a deed guard is *not* a solution - though it might help in some cases.

I mean seriously - what is the compelling reason for this change?  This is one of the most poorly thought out and implemented changes I've seen since I started playing wurm.  It's not that I have issue with the animals bashing - fine it makes sense that some animals bash.  But having the bashing occur while players are logged off and can't do anything about it is just annoying.  Our group of players has five deeds, and every one has been bashed into now.  Two of the five players in our group were animal collectors and don't even want to play anymore because their deeds got bashed while they were offline and they lost many of their animals they spent months collecting.  They don't see the point in continuing to collect animals because some mob will just come along and bash their fences again.  Since animal collecting was their primary enjoyment in the game there's not much left for them here.  I'm finding it hard to understand why I should even bother deeding - deed guard doesn't work and neighbors get to come steal anyway - I may as well just have an enclosure.  That is if I even bother to continue playing now that most of our group doesn't play anymore.

The only possible motivation I can see for this change is that Rolf is extorting deed guards out of folk - I'm sorry to say it, but that's what it amounts to.  There are any number of relatively simple ways to fix this problem, if he wanted to.  Otherwise I don't understand why this situation is allowed to continue.  Here's just a few ideas (many others posted in this thread):

• Revert the change to the previous behavior (except uniques as mentioned previously).
  • If bashing must occur, perhaps limit it to perimeters.  Any mob can path to whereever it needs to go via perimeters.
  • If the concern is "captured" mobs, let them bash out of pens (or perhaps only if hungry).  But once the mob is off deed, it will not bash *into* a deed.
  • If bashing of deeds must occur, then limit it to when the mob can see a target (player) on the deed, and then paths and bashes to try to attack the player.  This gives the player some ability to counter the attack and after the attack, the player would know about and could repair the damage.

This change does nothing to enhance gameplay.  It simply facilitates griefing.  I have been patiently waiting for Rolf to get this sorted out.  But my patience is reaching its limits.  How about a fix soon?  Please?

I mean seriously - what is the compelling reason for this change? 

Rolf gave his reason as a reply in one of the threads here in Town Square, saying that he was afraid that Wurm would turn into a Farmville game, even though

he just reached 3000 premiums because of the "Farmvillish" servers.

I agree with you, revert these changes if you (Rolf) want more paying customers. I see people quitting every day, because either trolls or uniques have destroyed their property.

• Revert the change to the previous behavior (except uniques as mentioned previously).
  • If bashing must occur, perhaps limit it to perimeters.  Any mob can path to whereever it needs to go via perimeters.
  • If the concern is "captured" mobs, let them bash out of pens (or perhaps only if hungry).  But once the mob is off deed, it will not bash *into* a deed.
  • If bashing of deeds must occur, then limit it to when the mob can see a target (player) on the deed, and then paths and bashes to try to attack the player.  This gives the player some ability to counter the attack and after the attack, the player would know about and could repair the damage.

I wholeheartedly agree, and I think that if the bashing is to stay, it at least needs to be modified in some similar way to what Arindor has suggested. I understand the reason bashing looked like a good idea, but it turned out to be just annoying, and it's really aggravating a lot of players. My local area has lost several people due to these new changes, I hope they're not gone forever, they were good neighbors.

I wholeheartedly agree, and I think that if the bashing is to stay, it at least needs to be modified in some similar way to what Arindor has suggested. I understand the reason bashing looked like a good idea, but it turned out to be just annoying, and it's really aggravating a lot of players. My local area has lost several people due to these new changes, I hope they're not gone forever, they were good neighbors.

I agree, and could not have said it better.

I agree, and could not have said it better.

+1

In case no one knew, the Kyklops on Independence was captured near the beginning of the server's launch, and has been held captive on a deed for nearly two years. It's still locked up there and owned by one player. So I guess the bashing mechanics aren't working? vOv