Darnok

PvE griefing alt deed

Can we vote to delete someone's post? Say a really bad idea pops up on the forums. Everyone gets to vote 1 time. Then after 7 days it can't be removed anymore. 

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KarlFranz said:

Can we vote to delete someone's post? Say a really bad idea pops up on the forums. Everyone gets to vote 1 time. Then after 7 days it can't be removed anymore. 

You owe my boss a new keyboard Karl. I laughed my coffee all over it when I read that. Too funny.

Edited by Gwiz
can't spell

"I can't afford the land, but I don't want anyone to be there, and I'm able to play this game on a schedule. +1 me."

10 hours ago, Darnok said:

If a new deed appears nearby for example around 100 tiles, players in area are informed about it in a similar way to receiving an mail.

Anyone who does not like new neighbor has right to question location of new deed for the first 7 days, he can go to the token and select the "I oppose" option.

As a result after 48 hours or after first logging in owner or resident, such a deed will be removed.

After 7 days, deed can no longer be canceled by other players.

Unfortunately there is no other way to defend yourself on a PvE server.

-1, for all the reasons already posted.

22 minutes ago, Trake said:

"I can't afford the land, but I don't want anyone to be there, and I'm able to play this game on a schedule. +1 me."

But this solution would not make area mine in any way, it would simply stop those people who would like to overwhelm poorer players precisely because they have more.

8 hours ago, kochinac said:

Build a doughnut house around a token, or even just plain locked fence around deed, he can opose as much as he wants....

-1 ofc

In some cases GM response would still be needed, but fewer such cases and less reliance on human judgment, quicker the response and fairer rules of game.

10 hours ago, Darnok said:

If a new deed appears nearby for example around 100 tiles, players in area are informed about it in a similar way to receiving an mail.

Anyone who does not like new neighbor has right to question location of new deed for the first 7 days, he can go to the token and select the "I oppose" option.

As a result after 48 hours or after first logging in owner or resident, such a deed will be removed.

you'd have to have a word with the king himself, since land is rented by freedom kingdom, send them a mail and await for their official response, it's a kingdom matter, peasants have no rights to question land renting, there's a feature to complain to gm creatures from the void who appear from thin air and just like that disappear, it's a mystical mythical land and it's lore and laws are bizarre

• Like 1

This proposal would potentially have a really negative impact on slayings, where temporary deeds are often set up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atonewell said:

This proposal would potentially have a really negative impact on slayings, where temporary deeds are often set up.

So maps are too small... in mechanism I suggested you just need to move 100 tiles away from other deeds and no one can do anything to you.

I'd like to see how this plays out.

Have 9 alts. Drop 9 deeds at 1s/month, in a 100x100 checkers pattern. Control 400x400 tiles of the map for just 9s/month.

For comparison, Pristine is roughly 2000x2000 tiles.

50 silver a month to control an entire PvE server.

Your move.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

I'd like to see how this plays out.

Have 9 alts. Drop 9 deeds at 1s/month, in a 100x100 checkers pattern. Control 400x400 tiles of the map for just 9s/month.

For comparison, Pristine is roughly 2000x2000 tiles.

50 silver a month to control an entire PvE server.

Your move.

You won't do this, because there are other players who have similar resources to yours at this stage of development of this server.

Also maps could be much larger.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:35 AM, Darnok said:

-1 On this. I've always thought of deeding in Wurm as "Deed it or lose it", and in my mind there shouldn't be a way that folks can basically "own" a 100 tile perimeter for free.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

You won't do this, because there are other players who have similar resources to yours at this stage of development of this server.

Also maps could be much larger.

Well, see, people will do this. Not for resources, but because it will be possible. People already do this with stone shacks and Mag altars, as described above. Your suggestion would make it even easier.

Bigger maps - different suggestion. And, how would you even imagine this? Resize existing maps? Delete current, create new? (rhetorical, don't even go there)

Not to mention, bigger map will either take a little more money, or a couple friends, and same thing will happen.

Might have more luck with WU update and play solo there.

Wurm PvE is fundamentally non-competitive. 

The landscape has effectively infinite resources and most of it is empty land currently unclaimed by anyone.

Some players don't seem to fully grasp that.

Cap ore on pve servers at 50ql, and then come to Chaos and grief other players there.  Or better yet, get yourself banned from the game.  Wurm Online is a unique sandbox MMORPG with over 130 skills.

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Wurm PvE is fundamentally non-competitive. 

The landscape has effectively infinite resources and most of it is empty land currently unclaimed by anyone.

Some players don't seem to fully grasp that.

If this were true, there would be no need for such a mechanism as deed, because no one would take anything from anyone 🙃 

Meanwhile, the more advanced player, the more deeds he has, with a dozen or several dozen metal nodes and hundreds of animals and for some it is not enough, because they still take more for themselves... let's be honest, some people even take dirt from areas far from their deeds.

There should be some limit for aggressive gameplay or a distance limit for massive mining/digging of non-renewable resources, because in this way, some areas of map are turning into some discouraging places after mass looting of resources.

Such situations should not occur on PvE servers, here, the main opponent should be environment, not actions of other players.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Johnston3 said:

Cap ore on pve servers at 50ql, and then come to Chaos and grief other players there.  Or better yet, get yourself banned from the game.  Wurm Online is a unique sandbox MMORPG with over 130 skills.

We been playing Wurm for 20 years, with much less rules, and protections.

No matter how many words you use, 

no matter how you imagine Wurm, or the World should function.

The game is played by humans, The world is a World that can be terraformed, exploited for resources, developed, and ruined, exactly like the real world.

And we use the free market ideas, the private property ideas, and like so many already told you, it all sume up to:

Deed it or lose it.

If you don’t like it, maybe Wurm is not the game for you.

Edited by topkos
Typo

21 hours ago, Darnok said:

If this were true, there would be no need for such a mechanism as deed, because no one would take anything from anyone

Stuff is quite easily protected from theft without a deed.  

A deed provides a lot of other benefits that have nothing to do competing with other players.   Reduced decay on buildings, reduced decay on materials, improved rare rolls, highway linkage, branding so you can use saddle bags - off the top of the noggin.

Like I said, some players don't grasp the essential non-competitive nature of Wurm PvE.

• Like 2

Absolutely no. The numerous amounts to exploit this feature.... I don't even wan't to think about it. I pay my 40s/month in upkeep to keep all I want/need in my hands. And I am fine and happy with that as is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Morbidae said:

Absolutely no. The numerous amounts to exploit this feature.... I don't even wan't to think about it. I pay my 40s/month in upkeep to keep all I want/need in my hands. And I am fine and happy with that as is.

That's good for you, but try to look at this problem from a new player's point of view.

Wurm on Steam is advertised as a free game, we have demo version that is free up to skill level 20. A bit too low, if you ask me, to enjoy game, but ok.

So player learns that he has to pay premium for his character to continue to level up, he will probably accept it.

But that's not all, it turns out that he also needs to pay for a piece of territory in order to be able to store items and animals there and get various benefits from it.

Well, one-time fee will somehow work... but there is also an upkeep.
We further learn that in order to experience entire game, we need a second character (priest), so second premium payment.

Game takes a lot of time to learn which resources have value and which do not, so in my opinion it is quite logical not expect from new players to spend 40s per month on deed, which may turn out to be worthless in terms of resources.

Because new player does not know which spot is good and how far it is worth expanding it.

During this time, more advanced players can spend a little more silver, place deeds right next to new players, in good spots, and extract valuable resources very quickly or leave them for later.
Such a beginner player, when he realizes what resources have valuable, will understand how much he lost on nothing.

Guess what he'll do?

That's what this suggestion is supposed to be for, it's something like the right to priority purchase/first refusal for person who placed deed first (and I think that maps should be larger).

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

But that's not all, it turns out that he also needs to pay for a piece of territory in order to be able to store items and animals there and get various benefits from it.

Or he can just join an existing deed that provides the same bonuses for him for completely free while he learns the game and establishes himself in a safe environment, surrounded by other people who will most likely help him and provide tools, animals for him free of charge.

You say you want larger maps, sure but having played 8k and larger maps on WU, they were nothing but lagfests, no matter what the owners did. Pretty much the reason why you don't see maps in WU bigger than 4k. The engine and the game simply cannot handle anything bigger than Xanadu and the devs know this. Even Xanadu has had problems since it's release when it comes to lag. Originally i believe it was meant to be twice the size but the game couldn't handle it. 

Edited by atazs

8 minutes ago, Darnok said:

That's good for you, but try to look at this problem from a new player's point of view.

Looking at this problem from new player's point of view: The new player has no chance to place any deed according to your suggestion because people, yourself included, will oppose it and systemically stop them from doing so. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, atazs said:

Or he can just join an existing deed that provides the same bonuses for him for completely free while he learns the game and establishes himself in a safe environment, surrounded by other people who will most likely help him and provide tools, animals for him free of charge.

You say you want larger maps, sure but having played 8k and larger maps on WU, they were nothing but lagfests, no matter what the owners did. Pretty much the reason why you don't see maps in WU bigger than 4k. The engine and the game simply cannot handle anything bigger than Xanadu and the devs know this. Even Xanadu has had problems since it's release when it comes to lag. Originally i believe it was meant to be twice the size but the game couldn't handle it. 

Maybe 20 years ago, when Wurm started, this explanation was acceptable, but today I don't think so.
If engine has problems with large maps, why aren't there many smaller maps?
Why isn't there a server with 6-8 maps size of Melody?
That would be logical in this case or have I missed something?

29 minutes ago, Locath said:

Looking at this problem from new player's point of view: The new player has no chance to place any deed according to your suggestion because people, yourself included, will oppose it and systemically stop them from doing so. 

You're right, there is no point in joining old maps.