Sign in to follow this  
notstupidbobb

Travel across server to Xanadu

Traveling between servers to Xanadu is ridiculous.

I am hoping that this is only some initial joke.  It took me 2.5 hours to travel from Pristine to the reach F26 on Xanadu, I spawned at about N27 ish. I do not want  to waste that much of my real life doing fake sailing in a pretend world. Problem is,  I have a deed there now, paid for with real money, (and will need real upkeep money). If the trip is going to remain this way, I will have to disband it and give up, as others have already done.

There must be some solution to this  bad decision.

This is not immersion, it is torture.

Sadly, ...I hear that the trip home is going to be worse, .. yay.

• Like 1

Been sailing like this for 5 years now, yeah it can be extremely boring and long, especially with a "light breeze" and some Oracle-Fog.

Best you can do is make some alts to fill the boat, and imp it in hopes it turns rare or better. Dont think Rolf has any plans soon to make travel by ship faster.

• Like 1

Crawling through the water at 4km/h for 8 hours is Rolfs idea of immersion. Learn to love it.

• Like 4

Developers should be required to perform the actions they code - at least once. :)

• Like 3

It only took you 2.5 hours to sail where you were going? Cry me a river. Some people have spent 8 hours getting to where they have decided and aren't complaining about it. If it's that terrible or your time is too precious, don't move there. Someone else who can be bothered to make an effort will likely claim your spot once you disband in frustration at how unfair it all is. 

• Like 6

2.5 hours and you're complaining? LOL. 2 years ago, I spent 6 hours traveling from Indy to Exodus. I spent just as much time traveling from Exodus to Xanadu for my newest home.

You should've seen this coming when you planned your route

• Like 1

While I get most people don't like 'wasted travel time' no one is forcing anyone to move or travel about very far for resources they actually need. Xanadu doesn't have anything you have to go there for so its a want rather than a need. Personally I like more realistic travel speeds as it doesn't screw up the feeling of scale and this server is suppose to feel large.

The minimum speed probably should be bumped up a little it should never fall below 10-12 even straight on in the high wind. 

• Like 6

I just wish the maps were so big it would take days to travel and make it a proper adventure.

• Like 1

The minimum speed probably should be bumped up a little it should never fall below 10-12 even straight on in the high wind. 

This is something I could agree with or we could have proper currents that act sort of like shipping highways where you could get a speed boost from while sailing with the current.. though that would of course require a lot more coding than the former.

• Like 1

2.5 hours, really? I just spent 10+ hours in a sailboat since yesterday, sailing from Release to Indy and back with the wind fighting me almost every step of the way - Sure, I complained a bit to alliance members but I didn't go as far as making a thread about it 2 hours in, lol.

This is something I could agree with or we could have proper currents that act sort of like shipping highways where you could get a speed boost from while sailing with the current.. though that would of course require a lot more coding than the former.

The whole sailing system needs reworking IMO, and has done for years. Half of the boats have oars yet we're unable to use them. Almost all of the boats have sails and rigging yet we're unable to raise/lower sails.

We should be able to row in bad winds (and good for a boost) at the expense of stamina. That plus being able to pack your sails away when traveling against a gale would help massively IMO. And as Kegan said, bump the minimum speed up too.

The stamina drain you currently get when moving is a bit of a pita too. That should only drain if you're rowing the boat. Fixing that first would at least allow people to imp stuff on their travels, instead of just staring at repeating water textures for 2hrs+, or having to stop/start all the time to regenerate for imping.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 4

Rauthr and Busted, I am confused as to where your hostility comes from, my complaint is a fair one. We give up money to play a game that is supposed to be "fun", it is a game. There is nothing "fun" in watching the same thing on your screen for 2.5 hours or 10 hours, ( if what you say is true).

I am also confused that you are so complacent about your real life being used up, for such a ridiculous waste. Games are a bit of a waste in the first place,  if there is some enjoyment in it then okay.. but what enjoyment is there in,... as you claim, 8-10 hours of sailing, it shouldn't have to take so long to go from point A to point B. I am not being unreasonable.

I want to spend my Wurm time more productively. I want to make a world as it is advertised. I don't want the money I spent on premium time used up sailing endlessly. Can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't rather that it take less time, or would you have it stay this way, and just sit there watching the water go by for 10 hours, ( because its awesome). I don't know where you get that kind of time, I am dumb struck that someone would want do that.

btw, it wasn't two hours later that I created a thread, it was 2 days later, just sayin'. "lol".

And the hope in creating a thread is that perhaps the devs will see that not everyone is happy with the way things are and maybe one day change it. I wasn't just complaining to see my name in the forums, I hope for change. And I don't spend my time in forums being rude to others.

• Like 1

While I do agree that a 2-hour sail is really "nothing to cry about", and also agree that "light breeze" should be done away with (don't think I've ever encountered such a thing as a "light breeze" on a large enough body of water.. I know it happens but generally speaking it's more of a climate fluke).............................. 

It only took you 2.5 hours to sail where you were going? Cry me a river. Some people have spent 8 hours getting to where they have decided and aren't complaining about it. If it's that terrible or your time is too precious, don't move there. Someone else who can be bothered to make an effort will likely claim your spot once you disband in frustration at how unfair it all is. 

Is this kind of hostility necessary?

Kuwani said the same thing without resorting to childish attacks.

Btw OP... don't think Rauthr was being hostile.... a tad undiplomatic if anything ;-P

Edited by Mordraug

Not only sailing is like seing snails racing, now you risk loosing your stuff wen border crossing.

It is just my opinion, but I still think 2 hours of your time used to accomplish nothing in game is excessive.

My time has some value, though the fact that I play these games, I cannot make much of a brag on that score.

Well, ..  I am done with this thread now, you can all say what you will, just wanted to have my say... I wont be back to read any clever retorts. Have fun Wurming!

meh i dont mind sailing, but i see his point. doing over 2 hours in a game simply sailing is too much, considering ive done 18 hour sails before  its beyond normal for anygame, i love to sail so i still do it, did exodus to indy in a caravel in a light breeze before, that was rough..lol  But boats def need a speed boost considering the sheer amount of maps and the size of xanadu to make crossing them actually able to happen in a reasonable amount of time.

wish at least you can craft and stuffs when sailing.. I'm jealous of my passengers ability to do things while I'm stuck without stamina.

• Like 3

If you have a decent wind and a large enough boat it's still viable to do stuff while sailing, you just sacrifice a few kms per hour because you're not "using the oars"

Xanadu should be 40km/h minimum speed in a sail boat, its waaaay too slow by current standards

Wurm:  Set course, travel for several hours, arrive at destination.

Eve Online: Set course, travel for several hours, run into pirate player, get blown up, lose ship, activate clone, buy new ship, set course, travel for several hours, get blown up, lose skills because you forgot to buy a new clone... :P

• Like 2

We all knew the layout of the cluster and how large it is before release. If you were planning to live at 2 places you should have placed them closer. I like the fact its so big and takes ages to get anywhere :)

I personally like the scope of the servers and the fact that it takes time to get places. In other games - some of which boast massive landmasses and cotinents - there is all this fast travel option and you can go to one end of the world and back in 10 mins, or sometimes even instantenously. That always destroyed my immersion.

In Wurm, there are different continents. People live on those close to you and thsoe far from you. Just like in RL. It takes time to get places, which creates local alliances, local markets, friends based on geographical location, etc. I understand that sailing for 2.5 hours is boring. But if one does not want to go through that epxerience, then why get a deed on Xanadu two and a half hours away? If one must have a second deed, I am sure there are closer locations, many of them on the same server. One doesn't HAVE TO live on Xanadu.

Even the size of Xanadu appeals to me. There are places on the other side of that continent that I may not see for months, if ever. One day, I may have a great adventure sailing there, stopping along the way to sight-see or make food, exploring the world. It will be a long voyage, but there are so few games that offer such an experience.

• Like 3

Traveling distances was tough for medieval level societies. Aside from the usual perils like pve and pvp, it took a LONG time to get anywhere, and it was exhausting for both man and animal.

Also I fully agree one should be able to do more onboard moving ships (except when "rowing") like fishing. Its helped alot that Rolf has enabled a number of crafts to work as long as everything is in ur personal inventory.

However there's still a number of activities you cant do. For example yoyoing (game says you have to be off of all vehicles) or, as aforementioned, fishing (can start until you travel too far from the beginning tile.)

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1