Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

The Candelabra Mystery (Strange phenomena)

As hard as I've been trying, I seem to be unable to solve this mystery.

I have 3 deeds on Deli, 2 old ones and a new one. All three deeds have a lot of candelabras with candles, inside of houses as well as outside. Now, here is the mystery: The candles in the two old deeds are everburning ones, while those in the new deed regularly go out after a couple of days.

To be more specific: The candelabras and candles in the first two deeds were made and lit more than a year ago, and they are burning constantly since then. I never had to relight them. So I assumed that my templars were taking care of them, as they usually do for on-deed lamps and off-deed lamps within a radius of 50 tiles. In fact, some candelabras outside those two deeds (pretty far away, but inside the 50-tile radius) are also everburning ones! They even keep burning after I dismissed my templars some months ago!

The candelabras in my third deed were placed and lit about 2 months ago, and they never burn longer than a few days. So I placed an oil barrel with some olive oil, employed a templar, made new candles and lit them. But still they are gone after a few days, so my new templar seems to ignore them.

It looks as if the old candles, made years ago, "remember" the previous templars and stay lit (deed 1 even has no oil left), while the new candles in the third deed behave completely differently.

I'm out of ideas - so maybe someone else can step in.

• Like 2

Perhaps when you placed them, they were bugged, and then the bug was fixed but the bugged candalebras were never removed? 

I have a pair for 'forever-candelabras', they have been going about 8 months or so and have been both on and off deed, above and below ground. My assumtion was on deed that dont use fuel ? I have never made candelabras, and thought this was normal behavior ?

A relic of the good old days ;)

(like fountain containers, old butcher knifes, steel magical chests)

A have a few shining bright for a long time now to, never really thought about it.

MIne was fueled with crappy candles around 1 year ago and stay lit all the time too, i tought they work like lamps on deed and stay lit forever.

Same thing is happening for me, although my "forever lit" candles were only lit a few months ago. I have a new deed with candelabras which only stay lit for a few days while the ones I moved from my old deed to the new are still burning. Was happy to see this thread and know I'm not the only one lol

Just something to add to the conversation:

1. All my lamps on my deed stay forever lit and I never had a templar. I never refill them, so it's possible that a templar is not needed to keep on-deed lamps lit. Those lamps were filled a few months ago for the first and only time.

2. The off-deed radius for the templar to refill lamps is no longer 50 tiles, but ... I think... 24. Someone can correct me here, if I am wrong.

Just something to add to the conversation:

1. All my lamps on my deed stay forever lit and I never had a templar. I never refill them, so it's possible that a templar is not needed to keep on-deed lamps lit. Those lamps were filled a few months ago for the first and only time.

2. The off-deed radius for the templar to refill lamps is no longer 50 tiles, but ... I think... 24. Someone can correct me here, if I am wrong.

Lamps and candelabras work different.

Ah so its with the first generation ones... funny. Have a few silver ones that keep burning too, Ive wondered off and on if putting new candles in will reset things.

I think I'll carry out some experiments to find out what's going on. As a first step I'll move one of the eternal candelabras from their current off-deed position (close to the older deed) into my new deed, to see if they will keep burning there. Thus, we can find out if it's a property of the candelabra/candle itself or if it's related to the position with regard to the older deeds.

Yaga, my idea is this. Never mention something like this that works to your advantage contrary to the way it is supposed to work or the situation will be looked into by the powers that be and be "corrected". Then there will be no further mystery to resolve, so in that respect it will be resolved, eh?

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Yaga, my idea is this. Never mention something like this that works to your advantage contrary to the way it is supposed to work or the situation will be looked into by the powers that be and be "corrected". Then there will be no further mystery to resolve, so in that respect it will be resolved, eh?

=Ayes=

^ ^ ^. >_>

(looks at 10 of his that have lasted months at crap ql)

Pretty sure deed upkeeps them. If not before, they sure seen to know. Both my deeds work...

Yaga, my idea is this. Never mention something like this that works to your advantage contrary to the way it is supposed to work or the situation will be looked into by the powers that be and be "corrected".

=Ayes=

Part of the problem, too, is that when things are brought to the dev's attention, the "fix" is usually the easiest change they can make over in the office, and it usually screws up other things because of their lack of foresight. I don't bring attention to something that, in my opinion, is working as it should be,  because i'm willing to bet the sadistic dev team wants different.

Take this situation as an example. Candelabras should work like lamps on deed. They should not decay and they should not need to be refueled. Rolf doesn't like lamps/light sources though, and he's made his little comments over the years about them. If I have a candelabra that is acting like a lamp, the last thing I am going to do is notify the team of it, because they will be sure to have it "corrected" within a couple of days. 

Also, as example, take that "indoor decay" situation we had a few months back. The "bug" had pretty much prevented decay from attacking deeded items. That "bug" lasted in the game for over a year. Why? Because no one complained about it. The bulk player base has been asking for no decay on deed for a long time, and to bring attention to the devs that it was actually happening was to guarantee its removal. That's the last thing any of us wanted. 

The hypocrisy is that they can fix a bug that "they don't like" in a matter of hours, yet they can't deliver on other simple things that have been asked about for many, many years.

...and before someone argues the fact that the team isn't sadistic:

[02:30:22] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:32:11] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:41:07] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:44:51] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:47:38] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:49:55] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:52:22] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[02:59:52] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

[03:04:38] You accidentally miss the pot and pour the water on the ground instead.

There's a difference between making game play "hard" and making it absolutely frustrating.

• Like 1

I hadone lower qlty lasted forever and just made one and imp'd them both to 40-50 qlty and filled and placed them somewhere else on deed a couple days ago.

I'll let ya know what happens! :P

@Ayes & As_I_Decay: I understand what you are saying, and tbh I didn't think of this aspect. When I started this thread it didn't come to my mind that this might be some kind of glitch or "secret" (bugged)  feature. Having been brought up to think like a scientist ( ;)) I just made an observation and was trying to find a logical explanation for it. Maybe I had missed something, maybe I made some mistake lighting and setting up the candelabras - I just wanted to find out. (Yes, i know - this could well be another example of odd Wurm logic :) )

If this really is a glitch or a bugged feature: well, I still think the devs should fix it - one way or the other. Either make candelabras behave like lamps (my preferred solution) or have them burn out after a while - as long as they behave in a logical and predictable way.

• Cat 1

Well, you can rest assured that they will be right on top of this, and that all candelabras will be burning fuel and taking damage by next week. Hell, they'll probably slip the change in the update tomorrow.  ;)

I made several experiments, and the results seem to indicate that the "forever burning" attribute is NOT a property of the candelabras or candles, but only depends on the candelabra's location. There seem to be certain deeds (and their immediate surroundings, approximately 25 tiles) where candelabras don't burn fuel and therefore will be burning forever. If you remove one of them from that area and put it anywhere else (also on another deed) it will burn out within a few days. And vice-versa: if you take a candelabra from a spot where it usually burns fuel to one of those "special" deeds (or its surroundings) it will stop burning fuel and keep on burning!

I have no idea what the difference between those deeds may be. I know at least 4 deeds (3 on Deli, 1 on Pristine) with ever-burning candles, and at least 2 with candles that keep going out.

Mystery indeed! :)

• Cat 1

The whispering wood has an everburning candelabra.

Is it related to the age of the deed perhaps?

OK going to go check on mine in a few mins its been two weeks...well see how it looks.

Both still lit and working fine....one was old and one was just made.

They are on deed in a house.

[23:17:03] A beautiful candelabra. The number of arms on a candelabra varies depending on a number of factors, but mainly by the preferences of the designer. Apparently even fairly intelligent people sometimes fail to recognize the proper number which causes mild confusion. It is glowing from the heat. It could be improved with a lump. Ql: 48.923904, Dam: 0.0.

[23:17:00] A beautiful candelabra. The number of arms on a candelabra varies depending on a number of factors, but mainly by the preferences of the designer. Apparently even fairly intelligent people sometimes fail to recognize the proper number which causes mild confusion. It is glowing from the heat. It could be improved with a lump. Ql: 45.245502, Dam: 0.0.

Edited by Protunia

I have a TAR area close by this deed....maybe it has something todo with Tar?

I have lots of Tar in Bsb's from making Piles.

I do have Olive Oil in regular barrels but none gets used....

One thing is for sure, candelabra in a mine off deed 100% burn for ever.

Every were i have tested it any way, currently running some on epic to 30+ days so far. 

A few things i have noticed about decay are that certain tiles in the game, on deed, wont give normal decay and some have increased decay.

I wonder if the age of the candelabra might have something to do with it.

The whispering wood has an everburning candelabra.

Is it related to the age of the deed perhaps?

Maybe...   

I checked, and most of the deeds with everburning candelabras were founded before January 2013 (one as late as December 2012, though). One of the other deeds was founded in January 2013.

However, I was told that one of the very first deeds on Deli (founded in September 2011) doesn't have everburning candelabras... So: maybe not... :/

• Cat 1