Sign in to follow this  
Manifestation

When did you find wurm ?

How long ago did you discover wurm ?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. How long ago did you discover wurm ?

• < 6 months
    • 12 months
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years +

Started in July 2009 and spent a few months on GV, then went to freedom where I joined Silent Hill with elias Aeris and the others. One of the things that drew me to play more was the impressive crafting system, although currently on epic enjoying the pvp side too.

early 2009, Started in GV. When I 1st arrived I lagged bad and tried to fule the forges with rockshards ( dont ask) So I told my wife I found a neat little game. We started playing regularly. Built a 1x1 and some fence. a vereable horse almost killed us and we asked in local for healing. Traded by offer 20i to Hordern for cotton and healing covers. We made 3 moves on GV building alittle bigger each time. The final stage of GV was a small castle under GD south at the bottom of the mountian. The place was made to proccess new players thru. Grand court castle stood in GV for almost 2 years passing down to new players as other left for the dreams of freedom.

Arriving at Indy, the world was vast and we was loaded down with things we prolly didnt need. Wife was scared of the bears and I wanted to fight. (listen to the wife that time) so we marched forth into the wilds of freedom alone and unguided. We founded Lock Haven in late 2009 and stayed for around 6 months. A guy happen by and offer to buy the deed for an undisclosed amount and I sold.

From the ashes rose Exile Empire, By x-mas 2010 we had made a colossus and the foundation of a great Wurm village had started. http://exilecommunity.com ,It was and is still our greatest accomplishment, with a complete website. In 2011 Deliverence server open and I chased a new dream to capture a dragon. The travel between servers became to much and I put EG up for sale. The deed fetched 3.2 gold and Is the highest amount paid for a deed in Wurm history, as far as i know. Now Exile lives on thru my tedious keeping of the black dragon on deliverence server and has some intresting sights aswell, such as a full chess board carved into the peak of one of the highest mountains on Deli, with a 360 veiw of the whole server.

And thats the short version. I was searching for a game and found it, wandered it and mastered it. And the rest is history.

I first heard about Wurm a little over a year ago due to it being featured on Massively.com. I've played traditional MMOs for years, but it was Minecraft (I know, I know) that introduced me to the sandbox style of play. I played on a multiplayer MC server with some other MMO-blogger pals, but eventually got bored of that. I started looking at other sandbox games and Wurm stood out to me because it was the only one (that I saw) with a PvE option AND a free trial.

Once I tried it, I was hooked though. I still remember zoning into the world and, on my very first night, making the long walk from The Howl up to the extreme NE of Independence using nothing but the player-made map - I didn't even have a compass. It was a very long, very dark, and very scary night of running from scorpions and spiders, and being afraid of the howling in the woods. I didn't know it was ambient at the time. ;)

i googled free MMORPGs for Macs and got this or some online western cowboy browser dueling game so i picked the cowboy dueling game but it didn't work, so then i tried wurm

Started wurm like 8 months ago, went straight from tutorial to freedom an found out what GV was a few months ago, and in my time become a genius boat builder, started a vineyard and led a rebellion. Hoorah!

i found it long long ago. but just couldn't play it. not over asheroner's call and eq1 and i think it was around eq2 1st yr.

but i re-discovered it january 2011. i was in my 3rd month of playing minecraft and was reading the forums for add ons. and saw info about Notch was part of this wurm game.

I came to the wurm wiki read up for about 10 min and was hooked before i started the game. i happened to have a few days off work cus of very bad snow storm. I have a habbit of trying something for a few hours and giving up. but lucky me to have a few days and love what i read on the wiki. so i gave wurm a good 3 day try.

some guys up on a indi mountian invited me to their village. took me a good 4 hrs to walk there died once. they taught me the game in 2 days. by my first week i set up my own deed near to them. then spent 2 weeks in hospital. came out to find most of them moved or left the game. so i didbanded my first deed. and left to start somewhere on my own.

so my actual 3rd week of playing i was fully hooked. and had 6 weeks to sink that in recovering from surgury. and over a year later, I still can't not play for more then a few days. at least log in to enchant a grass tile.

I find it funny that to me the top mmorpgs ever. are asheron's call ,everquest 1 and wurm, all older graphic styles. i'm sure others would add ultima online. i never liked it. but give it credit.  the 100+ other ones that came after 2006 peak. have much better graphics. but way worse game play. and way to easy to play.

I concider Wurm an investment also. my wife has me on a mmorpg allowance $40 eu per month + any of my overtime i make. which lately is a good 100 eu for past 3 months and this one maybe more. i put it in to the game the normal way for the most part buy subs for my 4 characters and silver. some times i will buy a gold coin off other players too but most the time i prefer the game way to help it keep going.

October or November 2006 iirc - remember logging in and the guards at Newtown were ghost models because of Halloween.

Somewhere in 2010. I was taking a break from EVE and WOW playing a tiny indy (even more indy than wurm, lol) game called Haven and Hearth (it's still functional, even if mostly abandoned by the devs, go check it out)

I liked the game right away, it was like a modern re-incarnation of UO (which i've played 97-2001) and very welcome after the poop pile that was DF.

I've spent a few days on GV figuring stuff out and a week later was already planting my first deed on indy.

ive known about wurm for bout ahh 3-4 years now, Just finally tried it a few months ago and ive been hooked ever since.

In early 2006 I heard of Wurm through one of the admins of an rp-enforced Star Wars MUD I was playing at the time (He went by the tag Waldo. No idea if he still plays Wurm). I mucked around during Beta, and found myself enjoying it enough to pay for gold membership in June.

Spent a weekend on the Home server (JK) to make the basics, then made a beeline for the Wild server.

Pretty much been playing on the pvp servers consistently since then, with the exception of approximately a year. Was unable to afford a broadband connection (modern dialup is fine for crafting but never pvp on it, sheeesh).

Over 4 years ago I was googling for a wilderness survival game. (like MattSquare above). But I was pretty prejudgemental about MMO's so I was looking for an offline game.

Having little luck finding one I finally gave Wurm online a try. At first I wanted to survive on my own so I avoided Wurmian contact and read every page on the wiki.

After a few weeks near Glitterdale on GV I ran out of fatlayers when someone asked me if I had food (referring to my nickname).

I told him I was starving myself and he convinced me to go to his friend's place. The journey was endless dragging my cart full of stuff over hills stopping many times to let my stamina bar refill very slowly.

Once there, they took care of me, and I met a few nice guys. I saw some new stuff like cotton and a fishing rod and a new world opened up to me.

Playing for a few weeks we got in a fight with the Bro's and moved out. Arriving at a wonderfull piece of land near Scorpion Stone I had a nice settler feeling.

We build up a basic camp in no time and Stealth Freedom was born. Had another wonderfull weeks expanding the place, but Wurm and the community took alot of my sleep.

When my best friend quit due to family problems I couldn't manage the major upkeep alone and quit too.

After six months Wurm called for me again but I decided to play on my own on my own pace. Got me a little place near New Dawn on GV untill becoming a father made me quit again for like 8 months.

That was just before the Freedom servers opened up.

Last summer I got a second call from Wurm and decided to go prem this time, a fresh start on Indy.Have my own deed now and enjoying every bit of Wurm even more. Managed to get a few titles already.

The slow decay because of prem and higher QL items is very relaxing and will make me stay here for a long time even after becoming father for the second time this summer :)

So I'm waiting for multistory buildings so my children have a place to live later lol.

Recently a few nice neighbors moved in so interesting times ahead.

August 2003 so map 3, I was searching for graphical MMO's for Linux that were not 2D look downs or isometrics. Wurm was #1 in a field of 1!

Watched the power politics of the Horde and would chat with Serph, X, Commcd and such and also spent some time near Mist talking to Chemyst, Inacron and Wizzard mostly. Was going to visit the Hammerfall lot but the war got in the way of that. Was sad when the Horde burned Mirkwood.

April '09 from PCGamer article.

GV with hyperactive spawning; wolves, bears, lions galore. Spent first two days in a mine making tools and weapons, before venturing outside to die for the next week solid.

Funnily enough the same is true for me. I "found" Wurm a couple of years before but didn't really spend any time on it, but it was the PC Gamer article that got me going properly in 2009. I took the long noob walk from The Howl to the PCG village, and died to a Wolves the by the Steppe and hard to start again. Second time around I made it and the PCG villagers were very friendly and gave me a plot of land to build my first house. I couldn't even make my own nails, so they made some for me and kept me fed!

Once I had built up some basic skills I then left PCG Village and donated my house to them, and walked all the way over to just East of samling (I was helped several times by locals along the way, someone healed my wounds and I didn't even realise what was happening. So noob.! - I then formed my first in-land deed. I got bored with that, and moved to Aura Point. Then I explored Deli and Exodus when they opened and dabbled in Hells Kitchen on Wild in between.

Now I have a deed in Exodus and Chaos and I'm part of Black Summit on Epic and as of yesterday have a "labour of love" account on GV.

God I love Wurm !

Found about the game June last year but wandering around aimlessly ketting killed didnt appeal, tried a village and they were not much help, gave up.

Recently was told about the updates, and thought I'd give it another try and this time found a friendly village (cormorant Isle trading post in the northwest of Exo) and it really made a difference.

Started playing on freedom during the christmas holidays of 2010.

Learning how the game works and exploring was great, but by march 2011 I got a bit bored of the game and thought about quiting.

Then one day I decided to atleast give wild a try before quiting and on wild I fell inlove with the game again and had a lot more fun.

Found about the game June last year but wandering around aimlessly ketting killed didnt appeal, tried a village and they were not much help, gave up.

Recently was told about the updates, and thought I'd give it another try and this time found a friendly village (cormorant Isle trading post in the northwest of Exo) and it really made a difference.

If we can figure out a better way to help newbies and to stop so them leaving first time around like you did, it would be a big boost to player numbers.

Something like having a couple of experiences players per spawn village tasked with taking care of noobs! I'd be happy to do it !

Been playing since March 2008, Asidecay found the game and told me about it.

6 years ago from MMORPG.com

was looking for something unique, and by god I found it :P

2-3 years ago - was watching minecraft lets plays ( cuz i was bored ) and wurm popped up and i was like " hey whats this game "  And i got addicted

Pedro showed me while he was still in HF. Then like a few months after I found the game again and just started playing.

Pedro showed me while he was still in HF. Then like a few months after I found the game again and just started playing.

Vote for Pedro.

This is awesome! Look at that spread, to me it seems like wurm players are here for the long haul.

And i think the only reason a few of us have been around for so long, is because we were lucky enough to find it early!

I have to wonder how the community will look in a few years time....

Also...What a great collection of stories, i had a blast reading them all. Thanks for all your replies guys!