Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Regarding the Website Launch...

there's no "confusion", you explained it well the 1st time with I dont want to see the 1/5 chance, 4/5 being failed roll and negative emotion, some on the other hand want to see something, anything, even if it's a failed "hope", other ofc want feedback to track and monitor events, etc..

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

there's no "confusion", you explained it well the 1st time with I dont want to see the 1/5 chance, 4/5 being failed roll and negative emotion, some on the other hand want to see something, anything, even if it's a failed "hope", other ofc want feedback to track and monitor events, etc..

and you completely missunderstood my post. I was responding to a chat moderator talking about people write tickets about not finding a rare after a drumroll.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miretta said:

and you completely missunderstood my post. I was responding to a chat moderator talking about people write tickets about not finding a rare after a drumroll.

You completely misunderstood mine: like @Finnnmentioned the “failed” (IE the drumroll without producing a rare when improving or failing the action, thus providing no chance) rolls in the way it currently exists is a sort of “feedback” that most players view as confirmation that the window was active and they had a chance, it just didn’t happen. Which is how I assume it’s likely intended to function as anyway.

We already get many support tickets from players when they don’t even see a “failed” MOI drumroll because they believe they are bugged. Imagine the amount of players that would suddenly all do /support if you remove the drumroll for all but successful MOIs, especially if they were used to using that as a gauge to see how often the window was open. It would be hiding even more information from the player surrounding an already mysterious mechanic.

i think i would like to have atleast an option to turn it completely off 😟 then those who want it no matter when, can keep it on for themselves, but for me it's just frustrating and anxiety inducing cause it's a sudden loud noise that can't be controlled by itself

• Like 5

On 7/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, Miretta said:

There are also other questions:
Why do WE play, for the ones who do?

How much of it is enjoyment of the actual game?

How much of it is familiarity?

How much of it is spending time with friends? 

How much is cause by sink-cost-fallacy that we don't want to leave behind what we have worked on for so hard?
How much is distraction from real life? (wurm is quite good at it, but it doesn't offer much in terms of quick dopamine boosts unless starting fresh)
What are the expectations we have when we are play? a question related to why some get bored of wurm or feel like they don't have enough time for it anymore, because they expect to achieve a certain amount to feel "satisfied" is this on wurm for not providing?

I want to actually answer these, because maybe's it's useful to the company. Everyone should honestly. 

Why do WE play, for the ones who do?

Because I knew what I was getting into. I started years ago, but gave up. Coming back I actually asked myself "do I have time for this?". After some help through the first 2 weeks, it was much smoother sailing. The first 2 weeks would make most people quit, unless they were aware that those first few weeks are really difficult ahead of time. 

How much of it is enjoyment of the actual game?

With most games I am kind of a pack rat. I love wandering, and collecting. This game allows that to happen for the most part. The storage can become an issue, but only for oddball items. One of the things that this game is missing, why do NPCs not drop loot. Almost every game of this type has a loot system, and it would attract more pack rats like me. 

How much of it is familiarity?

None. I came from an RS background of 800+ days played, spanning from 2001 to now. I'm familiar with RS. 

How much of it is spending time with friends? 

None. I play solo, and it's actually one of the reasons I like this game. I talk in kingdom, and with a select few privately, but nothing very serious. 

How much is cause by sink-cost-fallacy that we don't want to leave behind what we have worked on for so hard?

Minor amount? I already came to term, and sometimes think about, the fact that someday my deed will no longer stand. I think it's actually kind of neat to think about, and I like seeing other fallen deeds. Not because I like people quitting, just because you can see the human condition. One day you're all excited about something, the next it's something else. I think that one of the main pulls of this game is that what you do actually matters on the server. Even if you're playing alone, you exist, you're not just your character, you're a presence. 

How much is distraction from real life? (wurm is quite good at it, but it doesn't offer much in terms of quick dopamine boosts unless starting fresh)

I actually dislike the life distraction most of the time. I am often filled with the false "I need to get this done" feeling within the game, when in reality... it's a game. I'm mostly a farmer though, so my Wurm life is on a daily timer. In my opinion, this game is not for anyone looking for quick dopamine boosts, and as mentioned in other replies; it could be the death of the game. Besides scoring a valuble rare, this game is all about the long term payoff. 

What are the expectations we have when we are play? a question related to why some get bored of wurm or feel like they don't have enough time for it anymore, because they expect to achieve a certain amount to feel "satisfied", is this on wurm for not providing?

Nothing really. I think people get bored because of the amount of time investment that is required. Not only skill gain over time, but the idea that the game uses real world timers. Missing a day or two, unexpected, comes at a cost. Taking breaks from this game requires preparation. I think a lot of people either get sick of this, or end up being forced to prioritize IRL vs gaming. The ones prioritizing IRL are always making the right choice. Maybe they should introduce something like "time freeze", which would come at an IRL cost, but stop 100% of item/deed decay for a certain time period (assuming nobody else is using the deed). This would allow people to walk away and not worry for awhile. As far as the hotly debated topic goes, I think increasing skill gain is actually the right idea to maintain any type of longevity. However, I also think that this needs to be executed with strategy. See an increase in player base, and then change it. Don't purge your existing base on a gamble. I absolutely can see where veterans would be upset about this, so maybe offer them something special. One time only Titles, silver, one time only items, membership time, hell... give deed upkeep based on playtime and skillgain. I don't know. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miretta said:

i think i would like to have atleast an option to turn it completely off 😟 then those who want it no matter when, can keep it on for themselves, but for me it's just frustrating and anxiety inducing cause it's a sudden loud noise that can't be controlled by itself

What, you don't like the sudden unexpected noise in your quiet room along with a brief onscreen migraine aura?   Me either.  I jump almost every time.  At least a positive outcome makes it almost feel worth it (although rare bricks and such are of very limited value to me).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

What, you don't like the sudden unexpected noise in your quiet room along with a brief onscreen migraine aura?   Me either.  I jump almost every time.  At least a positive outcome makes it almost feel worth it (although rare bricks and such are of very limited value to me).

yeah and there are a few other offenders too...wurm has quite a mismatch in terms of sound volume

• Like 2

I just don't understand why the AI-generated images are still on the website, 9 days later. I second the people saying Wurm itself needs changed to support new players & be more accessible, not just rebranding the same content.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:20 AM, Miretta said:

Also, for the love of god, remove the "moment of Inspiration" from before an item is POSSIBLY turning rare and put it to be played AFTER something turned rare....
I hate it so much that the game teases me with "oh hey you could have gotten a rare here, but SIKE nope not really"
I don't wanna know about the chance, I wanna get drumrolls and cheers for when it actually turns rare...-.-

I agree 100% with this, I hate the moment the drum roll goes and you find no rare. I mean it makes logical sense to actually hear the drum roll when the item actually turns rare. Thinking about it now I don't know why this wasn't implemented from the very beginning. I'm sure it is not hard to actually change this in the coding so it happens when a rare actually happens. I hope they listen and change this, it will certainly help new players also in not getting confuses whether they have a rare or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JinxLuckless said:

I just don't understand why the AI-generated images are still on the website, 9 days later. I second the people saying Wurm itself needs changed to support new players & be more accessible, not just rebranding the same content.

Malena is working at it. She has already requested people at discord about notorious landmarks that show the feel of Wurm.

She could of course slam some images at the website, but that would be similar to using that computer generated ###### we have now. So she's taking her time to present the 100% top quality she's always presenting when she does something. If that takes time, so be it; but knowing some of her other work, I'm sure she's fully capable of getting things done well enough to please 99.999% of the community.

Of course, if you think it's going too slow, you can always offer her your help.......

Thorin :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I agree 100% with this, I hate the moment the drum roll goes and you find no rare. I mean it makes logical sense to actually hear the drum roll when the item actually turns rare. Thinking about it now I don't know why this wasn't implemented from the very beginning. I'm sure it is not hard to actually change this in the coding so it happens when a rare actually happens. I hope they listen and change this, it will certainly help new players also in not getting confuses whether they have a rare or not.

For the same reason why people watch the draw of that 1 Billion lottery draw with a heartbeat of 156; sometimes the thrill is more fun as the chase.

Also; people stil seem to forget that a Moment of Inspiration is a chance to turn something into a rare or better; not a guarantee. A drumroll, the flashes and the negative result afterwards are a good reminder that nothing in Wurm comes easy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Also; people stil seem to forget that a Moment of Inspiration is a chance to turn something into a rare or better; not a guarantee.

This is something I deeply dislike.  It is called a Moment of Inspiration.  Inspiration.  Someone chose that name for it, so despite the RNG that it is, the implication is that the character has been inspired.  Fine, roll for rarity, but the Moment should always give you someting. An extra little bit of skill gained, a twofer on production, just something rather than nothing. 

I hate the Moment of Disappointment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

For the same reason why people watch the draw of that 1 Billion lottery draw with a heartbeat of 156; sometimes the thrill is more fun as the chase.

Also; people stil seem to forget that a Moment of Inspiration is a chance to turn something into a rare or better; not a guarantee. A drumroll, the flashes and the negative result afterwards are a good reminder that nothing in Wurm comes easy.

I agree with this. A drumroll creates anticipation and suspense, making you eager to find out what will happen. It's not the sound of celebrating a win.

Moment of inspiration is like finding a lottery ticket on the ground; you randomly get a chance at winning a prize just by going about your daily business. Just finding that random ticket is exciting. Of course it's disappointing when you don't win, but you still got that moment of excitement thinking you might win. Personally I feel that the times I do win are much more of a thrill because of those times I had a chance but didn't get anything.

• Like 1

MOI is perfectly fine as it is imo.. BUT there's just absolutely no benefit to be experienced player as it is, we get same roll all the way and endgame players normally improve longer time.. and way higher ql items which are bound to fail actions way more often.

There's a meta to clap rarity items and abuse the other ways to generate rare items instead of generic human gameplay, we get clocked actions to get better odds and results.

You can be a hobo derp playing in the mud and generate more wealth than a 90+ skilled player with ease, as long you don't mind to clock your clicks, seems easily abusable and not that great or rewarding.

20 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

I agree with this. A drumroll creates anticipation and suspense, making you eager to find out what will happen. It's not the sound of celebrating a win.

Moment of inspiration is like finding a lottery ticket on the ground; you randomly get a chance at winning a prize just by going about your daily business. Just finding that random ticket is exciting. Of course it's disappointing when you don't win, but you still got that moment of excitement thinking you might win. Personally I feel that the times I do win are much more of a thrill because of those times I had a chance but didn't get anything.

it's just, some people might not want that kind of excitement, but we aren't given a choice about that, because it's in pretty much everything you do in wurm. 
and i don't care if only the visual and audio cue are an option for me, as long as i don't have to get that jolt of anxiety anymore. (excitement and anxiety are quite close together)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Miretta said:

it's just, some people might not want that kind of excitement, but we aren't given a choice about that, because it's in pretty much everything you do in wurm. 
and i don't care if only the visual and audio cue are an option for me, as long as i don't have to get that jolt of anxiety anymore. (excitement and anxiety are quite close together)

That's fair. You never know which things can be game-breakingly uncomfortable for some people, so it's always nice to have options to toggle sound and visual effects where possible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Yeah my heartbeat doesn't get that high anymore watching the lottery 😉

In all seriousness though, I hear what you're saying but I still think the rare drum roll should mean you actually get the rare. Maybe if you gave people the option to turn that off might be a compromise. When I was a new player hearing that sound I automatically thought I got something special, a rare but for me I just think it would be much easier to just hear the sound on making it rare.

This is what the forums are about though, we are not all going to agree all of the time and that is a good thing.

• Like 1

I'll throw my two cents in.  I think the developers need to take a little time and work on polishing the existing content before adding anything more into the game.  Not saying that new content isn't appreciated, but we've got so much old stuff that needs love and attention desperately.  Not even counting the stuff that was thrown in and abandoned like Jackal.  We need new blood, that's obvious, stagnation is the fastest way to lose a game, but people will notice the small issues with certain content in the game.  Archeology, fishing, and the like.  The more time and effort that you put into making that stuff shine, the more people will notice and appreciate it.  I mean, beverage making is still nothing more than a novelty with little depth or meaning behind it.  It's just exhausting to see new stuff thrown in, because I know it comes at the expense of older content being forgotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zahnweh said:

It's just exhausting to see new stuff thrown in, because I know it comes at the expense of older content being forgotten.

Bud...it's been this way for years sorry to say. 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2023 at 3:03 PM, Darklords said:

Having also talked with Krister about this all in-depth I can say his apology from start to finish came off as very sincere and I think he will help us realize some true growth with all of us working together.

does this mean you stepped down as a dev and do not agree with the current road map of the game?

• Like 8
  • Cat 3

Darklords and Keenan have both lost all associated game tags :S

I'm hoping we will get some form of comment or information as it really feels like we are bleeding people who actually care about the game and its development

-edit- Pandalet too?!?!

Edited by Toeol
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Toeol said:

Darklords and Keenan have both lost all associated game tags :S

I'm hoping we will get some form of comment or information as it really feels like we are bleeding people who actually care about the game and its development

-edit- Pandalet too?!?!

also Ostentatio? inquiring minds would like to know.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gingeko said:

also Ostentatio? inquiring minds would like to know.

Did Ostentatio also step down? They were just talking in the discord last night, and I still see them as a developer there

Until they decide to clear it up officially: my understanding is that they left. They were not removed. Some very idiotic things occurred behind the scenes that caused some of the staff to leave.

• Like 13

Dear Wurmians,

Today, we gather to bid farewell to three legendary figures in our beloved realm of Wurm Online. With heavy hearts, we announce the departure of Darklords, Keenan, and Pandalet from our virtual world. Their incredible contributions, unwavering dedication, and the mark they've left on our community will forever be etched in the annals of Wurm's history.

Darklords, the master of the shadows, has been a guiding force in the dark arts of sorcery and warfare. From leading fearsome raids against enemy realms to crafting powerful magical artifacts, Darklords showcased unparalleled strategic brilliance and inspired countless others to follow in his footsteps. His cunning tactics on the battlefield and cunning wit in the chat will be sorely missed.

Keenan, the embodiment of wisdom and knowledge, has been the pillar of our community. With a gentle demeanor and an ever-helpful attitude, Keenan tirelessly shared insights into Wurm's mechanics and lore. Whether it was a newcomer seeking guidance or a veteran with complex questions, Keenan's advice was always invaluable. The libraries of Wurm will forever echo with the wisdom he bestowed upon us.

Pandalet, the guardian of nature, has been a symbol of compassion and empathy in our world. Always at the forefront of environmental conservation and care for the creatures of Wurm, Pandalet demonstrated the beauty of harmony between players and nature. The lush forests and vibrant landscapes are a testament to the legacy Pandalet leaves behind.

As we say our goodbyes, let us remember that every end is but a new beginning. Although their avatars may no longer roam these digital landscapes, the impact they've made will resonate with us forever. Their spirits will continue to inspire and influence all who tread upon the virtual soil of Wurm Online.

To Darklords, Keenan, and Pandalet, we extend our heartfelt gratitude. You have enriched our lives, brought joy to our journeys, and kindled friendships that transcend the boundaries of the virtual realm. May your paths be illuminated by the same magic that bound us together here in Wurm.

As we turn the page to a new chapter, let us honor their memory by fostering the spirit of camaraderie they exemplified. Let us continue building a community that cherishes friendship, embraces new adventurers, and preserves the wonders of Wurm.

Farewell, Darklords, Keenan, and Pandalet. May your adventures in the wider world be as awe-inspiring and fulfilling as the ones you shared with us. The bonds you forged within Wurm will never be broken, and your legacy will forever be cherished.

With deepest respect and gratitude,

The Wurm Online Community

• Like 22