Sign in to follow this  
Gondric

Regularly new maps?

I play on Harmony since Steam release. Now i want a new place, because my place have no connection to ocean. But i want to build a harbor and ships. Many times i was traveling around harmony and was looking for a untouched place at the coast but i couldnt find anything.

I think to build is the main reason to play this game and it is the way of Wurm online, that a map is full after some time. I would be very happy about a new beginning with my old character. To use his good skills and tools to build up something new. There is many place on every map at the midlands far away from water. But the most of the players want a place at the coast. A new map with many island or rivers would be nice.

- What do you think about new maps? Do we have too much at some point? 

- And do you know a untouched nice place at the coast for me? :D

• Like 1

There is plenty of coastline on Melody, either on the ocean or along the inlets.

• Like 3

I don't think new maps are really needed for that, especially if you look at the player density. Especially SFI where both the density is far lower and the amount of servers (and coastline) is far greater. Xanadu alone probably has more coastline than all of NFI combined. Of course you can't get there as you are on NFI, not even a one way trip is possible. Adding such an option would be a lot healthier for the game than adding more servers.

What I'd advice you to do is to make a boat and go sailing around the available servers in NFI. You'll probably be able to find something as long as you don't just look for untouched places. An area that used to be deeded could also be an option, after all nothing is stopping you from completely changing such an area with digging/mining. That's what I did on Xanadu years ago. If you compare what was there when I found it to what is there now then you'd never recognise the place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gondric said:

I play on Harmony since Steam release. Now i want a new place, because my place have no connection to ocean. But i want to build a harbor and ships. Many times i was traveling around harmony and was looking for a untouched place at the coast but i couldnt find anything.

If u want a harbor and ships, build a connection from ur place to the ocean. A new path or a new tunnel whatever u call it. It becomes a coastal place.

U can even start now.

• Like 1

The new map experience and hype was part of the appeal of jackal, I’d love to see that come back as a repeating event to get that exploration kick every few months

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Gondric said:

Remember that you can shape the lands of Wurm as you like, so "untouched" is really not necessary. Finding a piece of land that was once shaped by someone else and re-forming it into a totally new area can be just as fun and exciting as "untouched" land! Take lots of screenshots of "before" and you can show off all the work you did making it into a new place :)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Schiann said:

Remember that you can shape the lands of Wurm as you like, so "untouched" is really not necessary. Finding a piece of land that was once shaped by someone else and re-forming it into a totally new area can be just as fun and exciting as "untouched" land! Take lots of screenshots of "before" and you can show off all the work you did making it into a new place :)

I completely agree, I have personally recently relocated to a small location on one of Cadence's shorelines and am in the process of terraforming it to suit my liking.

I have an old abandon lot of land next door to me that looks lovely but could also be terraformed into something else if someone wanted to put the work in to do so, it was just too much land for me personally.

"Fresh Land" is exciting but so is terraforming something someone else left behind. Especially if you take progress pictures along the way!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Archaed said:

The new map experience and hype was part of the appeal of jackal, I’d love to see that come back as a repeating event to get that exploration kick every few months

I agree

OP come post on here spread the desire of j2 maybe just maybe we can get them to focus on this as it would give you a brand new map

After all in the day and age where they want more silver j2's cycling maps of people having to redeed and thus buy more silver is exactly what they need ;)

there's no shortage of servers, travel or restart completely to get your new beginning, nothing stops you

• Like 2

The clusters should be connected. That would give new servers to explore, on Epic cluster in addition. And then and only then a revival of Jackal would be sensible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gondric said:

Then perhaps try one of the other servers in NFI.  There is still a LOT of coastline on servers in your cluster.

I think to build is the main reason to play this game and it is the way of Wurm online, that a map is full after some time.

That would be YOUR main reason to play, not everybody's, but WO's main issue isn't being over full.  It is the other thing.

What do you think about new maps? Do we have too much at some point?

Yes.  🙂 

And do you know a untouched nice place at the coast for me? :D

Try Cadence in the south west.  I haven't been there for many moons, but there was plenty of scope. 

Be an explorer for a while - rather than a builder.  Go see what is out there and make note of the places you would like to return to.  

• Like 1

As others have said, try Cadence. That server is all convoluted coastline, and I am sure you can find some of it that has never been built up.

• Like 1

Thank you for all comments. I was traveling with a ship around harmony. Many days of exploring. You are right, to take a old deed and make it a own is an option. But maybe new and old players would be play on a new map. Many changes for beginners came too late after steam release. Donkey, straw bed, canoe and stuff like this. Maybe more players stay now for longer with this beginner friendly features. Steam release was too early. Now would have been a good time. But a new big map can have a similar effect. 

Edit: maybe i try to travel to melody or cadence, so far i have not dared

Edited by Gondric

4 hours ago, Gondric said:

Thank you for all comments. I was traveling with a ship around harmony. Many days of exploring. You are right, to take a old deed and make it a own is an option. But maybe new and old players would be play on a new map. Many changes for beginners came too late after steam release. Donkey, straw bed, canoe and stuff like this. Maybe more players stay now for longer with this beginner friendly features. Steam release was too early. Now would have been a good time. But a new big map can have a similar effect. 

If you have a boat that you're exploring Harmony with, try scouting along the NE quarter of the Harmony map.

It's one of the more isolated parts of Harmony, even considering the now-unpopulated terraformed areas along the coast.

Just to note, my deed on Harmony  (for my character Tantris) is 'Sanderling Priory'.  It's reachable on the catseye highway network if you're curious.  It has a small stretch of shoreline on  an inland bay formed by fjord from the east coast and ends up not being too long of a trip from the Heartland starter town.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

Creating more territory has always been a tool used to bolster financial stability.  Today, lands are mostly deserted archeology sites except for the choicest locations which are typically along shorelines, but not always.  However, since the sand in the sandbox can be turned over and over again, there are still vast portions of land to be claimed.  The very last thing Wurm Online needs is yet another map.  Find a not-so-pristine spot along a not-so-pristine shore and make it your own.  Half the fun of Wurm Online is taking something and turning it into something else.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 5:56 AM, Gondric said:

I think to build is the main reason to play this game and it is the way of Wurm online, that a map is full after some time. I would be very happy about a new beginning with my old character. To use his good skills and tools to build up something new. There is many place on every map at the midlands far away from water. But the most of the players want a place at the coast. A new map with many island or rivers would be nice.

- What do you think about new maps? Do we have too much at some point? 

This is the big reason newer is not better.

It should better be explained to players the server cluster differences or there should be a premium item to switch servers.

The new cluster is much more dense, easier for daily interactions and social gaming with fewer empty claims and animals

The olders cluster has the same population but much more spread out, making for more of an exploration game with plenty of mobs.

Both are great and can do anything but each cluster has their own strengths.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, Gondric said:

Why?

How?

new/old map does not differ in any way

Your imaginary problem is just appearing all over again once you step on the brand new server, it will be repulsive to NEW players, so how do you suggest to fix the never ending issue, since you're better acquainted and maybe know what is causing it, can you think of a way to stop the cycle, it's obviously a bad practice to start a new server and maintain it for every single new player which appears 2 seconds after the last one.