Sign in to follow this  
Lotus1

Make uniques teleport periodically

2 hours ago, zethreal said:

Say, every 45 minutes to 24 hours the unique checks to see if it is in combat. If not, it randomly teleports to a different tile on the server at random. Maybe say it can't teleport to within X tiles of a settlement.

That's not a bad idea if the devs want to go this route, although then I want my pok teleport to work much better then it currently does :P I can already see one way to pen a dragon if this were implemented though *chuckles* Wurm has such a long history of loopholes that like I said, I'm not sure it's worth chasing the dragon's tail now. Also I am unconvinced the devs actually can code something to not happen within X tiles of a settlement, and an unprovoked unique is still ghastly when eating building walls in a town.

12 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

That's not a bad idea if the devs want to go this route, although then I want my pok teleport to work much better then it currently does :P I can already see one way to pen a dragon if this were implemented though *chuckles* Wurm has such a long history of loopholes that like I said, I'm not sure it's worth chasing the dragon's tail now. Also I am unconvinced the devs actually can code something to not happen within X tiles of a settlement, and an unprovoked unique is still ghastly when eating building walls in a town.

Ok, if there's still a way to pen them, just make them randomly teleport every so often regardless of whether they're in combat or not. Once every 6 hours to 7 days or something.

Edit: The big problem is that uniques are currently farmed and access seems to be limited to a select few. Making them port all over would definitely make that harder to do.  They also shouldn't spawn in the same area over and over. It should always be random.

Edited by zethreal

+1 to improving the randomization of where they spawn, sick of having to yell at Goblin leaders to get off my lawn

7 hours ago, zethreal said:

Ok, if there's still a way to pen them, just make them randomly teleport every so often regardless of whether they're in combat or not. Once every 6 hours to 7 days or something.

Edit: The big problem is that uniques are currently farmed and access seems to be limited to a select few. Making them port all over would definitely make that harder to do.  They also shouldn't spawn in the same area over and over. It should always be random.

see i've said this before and i'll say it again if this change happens then the people that farm them will just kill them when they find em and not try to pen them/ wait for the public to gather and do a public kill......they are broken and they have been changed several time to stop the penning/farming of them which hasn't worked and i'm not sure what a "good fix" would be....(best thing i've come up with is on freedom only make it so a max weight scale/hide(maybe 0.02-0.05 max) in every inventory for every premium player in local, no matter how many are there making it more likely that "public kills" happen for the greater weight on server but that has the down side of making private kills easier to drive the "market" of the products UP) ie: MOST changes have a Bad! point to them that hurt the goal rather then help it

edit: thinking of a way to fix that being that hide/scale only drops if x(50+?) are in local

Edited by Deth666
  • Like 1

If they decided to change dragons to only drop .05 scale per person even if it was me and 5 friends, I would not bother hosting a public event for it, I'd just kill it.

Uniques should be completely changed. Holding public killings should be beneficial to everyone, especially for the finder and/or organizer. While penning/silent killings should be a burden(it should be possible tho). Right now it is exactly the opposite. Organizing public slayings is a burden, while getting a small group together and kill it quickly is more beneficial.

It was tried to change it I think, while Rolf changed the total dropped hide/scale.. but the result was, that it made more people show up to the slaying and individually people got even less hide than before. :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wargasm said:

If they decided to change dragons to only drop .05 scale per person even if it was me and 5 friends, I would not bother hosting a public event for it, I'd just kill it.

Not condemning this line of thought but I'd like an explanation if you don't mind because I don't understand the reasoning. In a PM is fine if you don't wanna post it here.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:51 PM, MisterTeddy said:

You probably see this through the lens of a Freedom server. Imagine this happening at 2:00 AM on Epic where you're the only person online in the village and just about everyone but two other people in the kingdom are sleeping, and those two people don't want to leave deed because they really only play there for the skill gain and curve (even if three people actually could effectively fight a dragon).

I'll pass on this, thanks.

Actually, this goes for Freedom as well.  Especially on Xan or Inde where it could a very long time indeed for anyone to get there, providing there's people on who are willing and able.

This kind of thing has been brought up before and the very idea of my deed being subject to destruction just to enhance someone else's idea of "fun" just gives me a rash.  lol

I'll pass too.  :)

On 3/10/2016 at 5:07 PM, Zerocool said:

Not condemning this line of thought but I'd like an explanation if you don't mind because I don't understand the reasoning. In a PM is fine if you don't wanna post it here.

Because it's a unique slaying, not Rite of Spring. 

On 3/10/2016 at 3:24 AM, rixk said:

Uniques should be completely changed. Holding public killings should be beneficial to everyone, especially for the finder and/or organizer.

Public killings are beneficial to everyone.  You get blood, sometimes scale/drake pieces and maybe a free sermon if you're a priest.  The fact that half the potion types made from unique bloods are useless.... well.... that's not the players' fault.  I will also add that whoever finds, pens, deeds a unique typically has a choice to take a piece of loot from the kill.  Some people do to cover the expenses, other people think it's greedy, and this is one of the controversial aspects of unique slayings that everyone will never agree on.

While penning/silent killings should be a burden(it should be possible tho). Right now it is exactly the opposite.

I fail to see how penning a unique isn't a burden, and you are also discounting the hard work it takes to find uniques to begin with.  Not every unique is located by someone crying in freedom chat that their village is being destroyed by a dragon, sometimes we have to actually work to locate them.

Organizing public slayings is a burden, while getting a small group together and kill it quickly is more beneficial.

There's actually three kinds of slayings:

1. Public-  Anyone can attack the unique, anyone can receive unique loot (bone, skull, etc), anyone is welcome to show up for blood.   These are typically held for dragons/drakes.

2.  Private- Although anyone can show up to receive blood/scale, only a select few are permitted to attack or receive loot from the kill.  These are generally for non-dragon, non-drake uniques such as the goblin leader or kyclops.

3.  Secret-  For a multitude of reasons which I will not explain publicly, sometimes private groups will not even announce a unique kill, and will promptly slay it.  These are more likely to happen with dragons or red/blue drakes.

It was tried to change it I think, while Rolf changed the total dropped hide/scale.. but the result was, that it made more people show up to the slaying and individually people got even less hide than before. :) 

I beg to differ.  Before the "change", I would get somewhere between .002 to .005 kg of drake hide when I would show up to a unique fight.  After the change I get closer to .01.  That's somewhere between double to five times as much drake hide as we used to get, not the other way around.  But, even .01 seems trivial to some people, so there will always be someone complaining that uniques should give more drake/scale.  And those people would be idiots.

Edited by Wargasm

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Ok? As it is now, that is a valid justification because smaller groups benefit greater individually. The question was in frame of reference of a fixed drop without account for the number of people in local though. I can't see the benefit of killing it with a smaller group if the effective reward is now smaller overall.

Its all about sorcery items. Bloods or  leather are nothing compare to those. If I would ever found a Unique, what do you think I should do? Try killing it myself and getting a chance of finding a $1000 sorcery book, or asking 100 people to make my slaying easy and taking rare bone, to make my adventurers hat rare. Want slayings to be community thing - remove sorcery drop from freedom. Maybe I am wrong, maybe all private slayings are for those few drops of blood...

And I thought Chaos was full of drama...

OK, as I only read OP just now, making Uniques teleport will not solve the issue. 

Edited by bangzuvelis

unique drama is as old as uniques are in game, no matter which server.

only epic seems to be calm about the topic

1 hour ago, Zerocool said:

Ok? As it is now, that is a valid justification because smaller groups benefit greater individually. The question was in frame of reference of a fixed drop without account for the number of people in local though. I can't see the benefit of killing it with a smaller group if the effective reward is now smaller overall.

I know exactly what you meant, and my answer remains the same.  I'm not a firm believer in entitlement, and I do not need justification for how I'd handle uniques in that situation.  I simply disagree with a set weight of scale dropping per user, regardless of how many people are in local.  If Rolf was concerned about everyone getting scale/drake, he'd change it so that everyone on the server received drake/scale when a dragon/drake dies.

15 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

I'm not a firm believer in entitlement, <slightly aggressive for no reason> I simply disagree with a set weight of scale dropping per user, regardless of how many people are in local.  If Rolf was concerned about everyone getting scale/drake, he'd change it so that everyone on the server received drake/scale when a dragon/drake dies.

This is what I was looking for, ty. Was trying to understand your perspective, didn't set out to force a justification.

Edited by Zerocool

21 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Public killings are beneficial to everyone.  You get blood, sometimes scale/drake pieces and maybe a free sermon if you're a priest.  The fact that half the potion types made from unique bloods are useless.... well.... that's not the players' fault.  I will also add that whoever finds, pens, deeds a unique typically has a choice to take a piece of loot from the kill.  Some people do to cover the expenses, other people think it's greedy, and this is one of the controversial aspects of unique slayings that everyone will never agree on.

I fail to see how penning a unique isn't a burden, and you are also discounting the hard work it takes to find uniques to begin with.  Not every unique is located by someone crying in freedom chat that their village is being destroyed by a dragon, sometimes we have to actually work to locate them.

There's actually three kinds of slayings:

1. Public-  Anyone can attack the unique, anyone can receive unique loot (bone, skull, etc), anyone is welcome to show up for blood.   These are typically held for dragons/drakes.

2.  Private- Although anyone can show up to receive blood/scale, only a select few are permitted to attack or receive loot from the kill.  These are generally for non-dragon, non-drake uniques such as the goblin leader or kyclops.

3.  Secret-  For a multitude of reasons which I will not explain publicly, sometimes private groups will not even announce a unique kill, and will promptly slay it.  These are more likely to happen with dragons or red/blue drakes.

I beg to differ.  Before the "change", I would get somewhere between .002 to .005 kg of drake hide when I would show up to a unique fight.  After the change I get closer to .01.  That's somewhere between double to five times as much drake hide as we used to get, not the other way around.  But, even .01 seems trivial to some people, so there will always be someone complaining that uniques should give more drake/scale.  And those people would be idiots.

You don't have to go on defensive. I have never said it is easy to find the uniques nor that the search party should be left without reward. But the thing is.. for the finders it is(after lot of searching) easier to just slay the unique with their friends(or just pen it), than start the trouble of organizing a public slaying with all the drama etc it creates. Thats what I meant with "more beneficial".. "more beneficial" doesn't mean it is easy.

Also about the change in drops. I have exactly the opposite experience. The hide/scale scraps I have gotten before the change were nice 0.02 - 0.04kg(yes, from public slayings). After the change I got 0.00something hides, can't remember exact number, but I had to use crafting window to see how much it was exactly.

You might be referring to the "change" when they reduced the scale/hide back when they decided to let uniques periodically respawn.  Yes, when they truly were "unique", they would drop TONS of scale/hide.

Also, not to split hairs, but I wasn't being defensive.  You said  " While penning/silent killings should be a burden(it should be possible tho). Right now it is exactly the opposite."  I would infer from this that you don't think penning and silent killings are a burden, and I would disagree.

Don't know  why  someone is  thinking  that would be fair that everyone on server should get piece of scale/hide if only a few players  spend few days, sometime weeks or more ,to found unique and  often got killed in process which decreasing their valuable skills?  If it would be fair, It would also be fair that, when someone make fantastic pickaxe, all others on server get rare one spawned in their inventory

In last dragon killing i was part off, group of like 10 of us were searching for it for 2 days on 8x8 km server. We did not found it till someone from other server stepped on it  while was doing some priest job for friend,and his priest got killed . After he put it in freedom chat ,we managed  to locate dragon with his help, and kept it in area till we got enough fighters to  be able to kill it. Since that player who found it first, and lost valuable skills on his priest, was not managed to be online at  time of slaying, after we killed dragon we all agreed to  mail him rare bone as reward. 

Btw. there are 4 uniques  live on Xanadu,  2 on Indy and 1 on Exo at the moment.  Go search for them and earn piece of scale/ hide /blood for yourself. Go premium, get  your fighting and two handed weapon up,  so you can land hit on  unique . Get in search group  so you will  get in roll for valuables also. Don't farm your fields and wait   for scale to be dropped in  your pocket in safety of your deed.

• Like 2

I don't know why someone thinks, that all this is about removing rewards from the unique searchers... They SHOULD be rewarded, they do lot of work. Personally I think, that their reward should be increased based on how many people kill the unique.. That would motivate them to look for uniques AND at the same time hold public killings. Of course there alts of people etc.. that makes things not so easy to implement, but I think you get the idea. Of course at the same time there should be nice rewards for participants too(don't start here with bloods, they are nice, but not main goal why people want to see dragons and other uniques die), going to the slaying is not hard work, but still something.

So while there shouldn't be hides/scales put into everyones pockets, who were online on the server at the time of slaying.. the rewards for people, who were there for the kill, should be decent enough, that someone, who regurarly attends the killings, should be able to get enough scraps to make a set in his/her lifetime(yes, it should be hard, not that 2 dragons and a scale set).

On 3/15/2016 at 5:37 AM, rixk said:

I don't know why someone thinks, that all this is about removing rewards from the unique searchers... They SHOULD be rewarded, they do lot of work. Personally I think, that their reward should be increased based on how many people kill the unique.. That would motivate them to look for uniques AND at the same time hold public killings. Of course there alts of people etc.. that makes things not so easy to implement, but I think you get the idea. Of course at the same time there should be nice rewards for participants too(don't start here with bloods, they are nice, but not main goal why people want to see dragons and other uniques die), going to the slaying is not hard work, but still something.

So while there shouldn't be hides/scales put into everyones pockets, who were online on the server at the time of slaying.. the rewards for people, who were there for the kill, should be decent enough, that someone, who regurarly attends the killings, should be able to get enough scraps to make a set in his/her lifetime(yes, it should be hard, not that 2 dragons and a scale set).

I have to agree for the most part. Public slayings should be encouraged, yet, they aren't. This is largely because the slayings encourage small groups to benefit more than large groups.

However, I mostly posted this suggestion to make it impossible to pen uniques. Clearly it is possible at the moment. No one "owns" the uniques. At least that's clearly not the intention Rolf had in mind otherwise they wouldn't have been changed in the first place.

On 10.03.2016 at 10:43 AM, whykillme said:

-1 They hatched it they should be able to keep it however way they want.

Agree with WKM

On 8.03.2016 at 6:04 PM, Pingpong said:

Having seen the carnage done to towns where a unique started eating it Godzilla style, -1 to that idea. +1/-1 to porting out of mines, don't see how this changes much of the mechanics except that smaller groups then now will kill them off in secret. Also +1 to Zalifear to keeping Charcoal going so long, may charcoal survive forever on xanadu :)

... and with Pingpong, Gods save Charcoal I The Black Dragon Hatchling!

Also -1 to idea.

Edited by Alkhadias

Another big thing is, most people who find them don't really say they found them and penned them in. So it'll waste other people's time and effort for finding them.

Just make it so dragons can't go inside mines because "they're to big". And done. If people start walling them in then make dragons "fly" over walls. With that you remove any way to pen in a dragon and that problem is solved.