Sign in to follow this  
Kelody

Felled trees

Make them loadable into a wagon/ship/large cart. Also, make options to cut into keel/mast while on the ground or maybe in a cart.

12 minutes ago, Roysta said:

why don't you carry them in your inventory ? :ph34r:

+1 B)

• Like 1

? i think 50 felled trees fit into a wagon. not sure if the 'load' option makes it easier to gather them....
+1 for the other suggestions

• Like 1

Loading would take longer than picking them up and dropping them in...

if the felled tree is too heavy for you, cut a log from it and will fit - also will be big enough to make a mast or keel section.

4 hours ago, Herrfritz said:

? i think 50 felled trees fit into a wagon. not sure if the 'load' option makes it easier to gather them....
+1 for the other suggestions

Used to be. Now it's even more. 63 I think?

A "load" option would be easier for players without the body strength needed to carry overaged felled tree, or to carry them without dumping a bunch of their inventory first.

I don't see a reason why not to allow this.

+1

I don't think it would be used often, but if somebody needs it, why not? Definitely a QoL improving idea.

I miss when they used to stack instead of being a pandemonium of jack straws with you looking for the nub in a forest of overlapping bounding boxes.

• Like 2

Not to mention the need to be practically ontop of the base to pick up.

• Like 2

They are a couple tiles long but only the bottom arm span is usable.

Also, bringing back stacking and they become a pile of felled trees that a less strong player can just drag into a wagon like they would dirt or logs. I could not comprehend the frustration of using load to get them into a wagon in that mess of overlap and only the nib can be used. It makes my head hurt to even think about.

On 1/30/2016 at 6:11 PM, Jaz said:

if the felled tree is too heavy for you, cut a log from it and will fit - also will be big enough to make a mast or keel section.

Tall masts require very large felled trees. If you're wearing plate armor for defense, weapon and shield, hatchet to cut down trees, it takes quite a lot of strength to pick up a tree of sufficient size. Which also lead to the second half of my suggestion, if you could cut the mast on the ground, you wouldn't have to pick up the 30kg scrap left behind. Also, overaged trees are exactly double what's needed for a keel.

iirc the mast are creatable on ground, activate hatchet and right click a felled tree on ground

3 hours ago, Kelody said:

Tall masts require very large felled trees. If you're wearing plate armor for defense, weapon and shield, hatchet to cut down trees, it takes quite a lot of strength to pick up a tree of sufficient size. Which also lead to the second half of my suggestion, if you could cut the mast on the ground, you wouldn't have to pick up the 30kg scrap left behind. Also, overaged trees are exactly double what's needed for a keel.

Why are you wearing plate armor when cutting wood?

• Like 1

Plate is a pain with low body strength anyway. A bit early there with the movement penalty and the overall weight.  Why not wear a good studded or chain for everyday work and keep the plate for your hunting trips? 

Even now with 50+strength I won't wear my plate all the time. 

And yes I've built my first ships with very low characterising and mast and keels you can hold.  Yes need manage your inventory weight but whats  wrong with that? 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

The only real hard thing is if you try to assemble some of the rigs in inventory, which is how I do it because I have never tried to do them on the ground. I have to remove everything to hold the parts and the resulting rig is not nearly the weight of what goes into it.

And @Jaz, yes. Studded is great for working. If you are going to be working where there is not a templar or fences, sweep the area well armored first. Stray wolves and bears might roam in, but they are easy enough in leathers. 

7 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Because forests spawn some pretty nasty critters. Not everyone has a 200x200 deed to chop trees on. I find bears hard enough in plate and deadly in chain, very little is easy in leather. And before someone suggests it, no I don't want to grind 50 FS just to go chop down a tree.

This is a simple QoL improvement for newer players with little negative effect on established players.

Edited by Kelody

this is simply a WOGIC issue, why does a 5kg large barrel have to be loaded (it cannot be dragged from inventory into a wagon) but a 190kg felled tree must be picked up and dropped in?

+1 for common sense

21 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

this is simply a WOGIC issue, why does a 5kg large barrel have to be loaded (it cannot be dragged from inventory into a wagon) but a 190kg felled tree must be picked up and dropped in?

+1 for common sense

Historical reasons. Felled trees came into existence ages before the load function (so we had to have a means to handle them) and originally large barrels wasn't meant to be picked up.

if the code can be changed for large barrels to be picked up, it can be changed for them to be dropped into carts and for felled trees to be loaded

#WE_WANT_LOGIC_NOT_WOGIC

Edited by Evilreaper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Safety in the workplace. 

• Like 1

Seems you just need a way to plan out your forest activities. While in your full plate set, (which to be honest if you are not strong enough to pick up a tree while wearing plate you really should stick to chain) run around and chop down all the tree's you need. Get back to your cart and hopefully in this time while cutting tree's you have also thinned out the wild life, strip down to your birthday suit and then gather up your logs, suit back up and head on home.

...and in a 80ql chain set wielding a 80ql weapon even with 20FS you are really competitive with the typical wildlife.

Those are easily affordable after a few hours forage session if nothing else.