Sign in to follow this  
Trake

Sticky Window Positions and Size for all Containers/Piles like Inventory window

I saw a question in CA Help and decided to turn it into a suggestion. I didn't see another thread similar here, but then again I wasn't quite sure what all to search for.

It's safe to say that the majority of gameplay in Wurm is done through item or container windows. 

It looks like someone figured out how to make the Inventory window open up in the same orientation, shape, size and location as it was right before it was closed. 

The suggestion here would be to make ALL piles, containers and windows behave the same as the inventory window, by maintaining dimensions and location when re-opened.

It would make organization so much easier to not have to move my windows around EVERY time I walk out of range from them. 

I find myself compensating by arranging static windows around the center of my screen to be close to the popup 'spawn' location. I guess I would prefer to use the center of my screen to look at the beauty in the game. 

Feedback appreciated! 

Edited by Trake
  • Like 7

this was my first question ever asked in ca help.

+1

• Like 1

Such a good question to ask! Curious of the response. 

Hrm one problem there is the txt file tracking window sizes and positions would quickly become bloated. There's ALOT of containers in the game.

Perhaps if the file just saved like the last ten or so containers used.

Hrm one problem there is the txt file tracking window sizes and positions would quickly become bloated. There's ALOT of containers in the game.

Or a timestamp on last use of container, recycling after it being unused for X amount of time. Or keeping it local for a single session and wiping the data after (god knows a bit of text is nothing compared to the graphical leak).

Sure a little bit of text is fine... until it becomes a few million lines. Try reading and sorting calls from such in any decent amount of time.

I've heard stories regarding Wurm's databases; though, never actually seen with my own eyes.

Sure a little bit of text is fine... until it becomes a few million lines. Try reading and sorting calls from such in any decent amount of time.

I've heard stories regarding Wurm's databases; though, never actually seen with my own eyes.

Reasonably speaking, I don't think you'd open more than 1000 containers in a playsession. If you kept them sorted clientside, and recycled them every 7 days, it's not really that rough to search through 7000 lines of text client side.

Make it an option that you can disable for slow machines. But the processor power isn't an issue really since it doesn't tax the serverside stuff at all.

• Like 1

Agreed and also I wish my GUI items would stay where I put them every time I log on and off. It is so annoying to crash from rain starting, and then have to re-arrange every belt, health meter, no target, fight options, skill tracker, chat windows, quick bar, etc. every time

• Like 1

Definitely. If  I have to move that backpack window one more time...!!!

*shakes fist!

+1

• Like 1

Agreed and also I wish my GUI items would stay where I put them every time I log on and off. It is so annoying to crash from rain starting, and then have to re-arrange every belt, health meter, no target, fight options, skill tracker, chat windows, quick bar, etc. every time

Weird, did you use the lock option?

I have all my windows locked and i never have to reorganize it no matter if is a crash or a normal shutdown. The windows only get in wrong positions at start because I run in windowed mode, but they got in their normal location once i maximize the window.

+1, with backpack being at the top of the list for me

But also at the same time lock/freeze/remember the placing of what is IN the windows please (inventory jumbled after each disconnect, etc - ugh!)

+1, with backpack being at the top of the list for me

But also at the same time lock/freeze/remember the placing of what is IN the windows please (inventory jumbled after each disconnect, etc - ugh!)

I think due to the way Java and wurm stores information that's not possible (same with the spell lists, and the craft lists on right click). This is a recurrent question on the Forums, and the only time i heard a reason why this was random, came out like that.

Probably the same reason applies to other windows as well... IDK. Would be nice though, every time i step away from the cart/wagon, havint to resize the window, hide the improve bar, and open the right crate to get the dirt out... Thank god i'm done with raising land for now.

I think due to the way Java and wurm stores information that's not possible (same with the spell lists, and the craft lists on right click).

that's more of an anti macro measure imo

The GUI items position is stored individually for each window size you're using in the wurm\players\ directory. Resizing the window will load the appropriate file or create a new one if it doesnt exist. Try using the same window size on every session, your GUI items positions should be fine.

also +1 on topic ;)

Edited by Manron
  • Like 1

that's more of an anti macro measure imo

The GUI items position is stored individually for each window size you're using in the wurm\players\ directory. Resizing the window will load the appropriate file or create a new one if it doesnt exist. Try using the same window size on every session, your GUI items positions should be fine.

also +1 on topic ;)

Huh, 90% of the stuff worth macroing have key binds which just make macroing that easier.

Huh, 90% of the stuff worth macroing have key binds which just make macroing that easier.

The menu randomizing existed long before we ever had keybinds for things like mining, woodcutting, etc.

I would even be happy is each type of window was lockable to a position.  

Inventory location x,y size xx

cart location x,y size xx

crate location x,y size xx,

bsb location x,y size xx

rafts location x,y size xx

and so on.

At least that would be an improvement and would alleviate the concern over bloat on the info file, which would be stored on your machine, so calls would be pretty instant.

+1 to OP

• Like 1