jaytoo

Rift Update Testing

The new changes are very well thought out. I really appreciate some of the new buffs for the items and the new gem sinks will help the gem market. 

While everyone may not like change, being able to get some rift points for a rift you won’t be able to attend due the time is very nice so you can get some points and assist with the rift in one form or faction. 

I really like the aspect of points based on damage versus just tagging now. Hopefully this is something that can be transitioned to uniques in the future to help with leeches at public slayings and actually base the scale/hide drops based on damage done. 

Overall I like what I see here. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

bracelet of inspiration, why not just rare bone?

and why not adding some things like sleep powder for rift points, so that would encourage people to do rifts, instead of adding some stupid colossus that people will not want to build because its just waste of time?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

still tags everything in range of the spell at once.. at the very least...

and also does some even "insignificant", aoe damage - repeatedly.. so.. not one.. but DOUBLE DIP... on points...

long ago... we dropped priest characteristic penalties.. there's no reason to buff priests, they are normal players for the most part, except improving, and 1 banned gathering, etc basic priest limitations, not to mention.. but I do ... priest passive bonust for CR which is crazy addition in comparison to non-priest in combat...

AOE spells do not tag they might give damage credit now, but damage is useful

Edited by Lethyria
  • Like 2

I like what this update is trying to do. Doing rifts in the shadow of colossi sounds suitably epic.

That said, I have a number of concerns. Chief among them is what is left over after rifts:

We've got horribly deformed terrain no-one wants to clean up and is resulting in uglified servers

We've got rows of pens, some of which so little as two tiles apart, being built for rifts (this linked topic has a good replacement idea)

And now we're getting colossi - which I can only assume means we're going to see a lot more secured bulk storage bins.

Please do something about the amount of litter that accumulates from these rifts!

I'm going to miss my boar shoulder pads. There's no way I'm touching those things with the new buffs - to the extent that I'd ask for a way to turn off the buffs so I can keep the pads.

• Like 4

Will keep an eye on spell farming when we do some tests with higher population during this public test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BattleWall said:

I really like the aspect of points based on damage versus just tagging now. Hopefully this is something that can be transitioned to uniques in the future to help with leeches at public slayings and actually base the scale/hide drops based on damage done. 

It's actually really hard to get some damage in on a dragon. If drops were based on damage done, the spoils would go to a handful of the top players and most of the people who genuinely joined in get nothing. I don't think that's right.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BattleWall said:

so at this point what is the purpose of public slaying?

what is the purpose of private slaying? all want some

Can you make it so that you need a minimum number of points to be able to harvest the rift mats upon completion?

Right now vultures are equally as rewarded as participants when it comes to harvest opportunity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reverent said:

Can you make it so that you need a minimum number of points to be able to harvest the rift mats upon completion?

Right now vultures are equally as rewarded as participants when it comes to harvest opportunity.

The right solution is probably a longer discussion but I'm trying to focus on the changes in this release right now. small improvements will come in small updates as time goes on. I do not like the mad resource dash at the end in its current form either.

• Like 8

Do you think we could get some QOL on QL of the resources?

Currently resources spawn at random QL... and even if we have high skill, tools, etc.. we get low ql resources, from already rare resource nodes...

--edit

Best way currently to get ql100 resource is usually -> butcher a turret, spawned around the death of rift warmaster, since butchering imbue caps ql of produced items at ql100..

With resources we have variety, and we normally do not stack like 2-3 players on same node, it's both being polite.. and if somebody starts mining this node, it's 10x resources, it's better to just go mine something else and get more than 3-4 items at best while fighting another person over the gathering.

Edited by Finnn

i can look at that, I didn't know they had ql caps I haven't noticed that while playing.

Yeah like anything you examine it and the cap is shown

I would have said before that there was a problem with creation chance being miscalculated in the crafting menu for runes but that seems to be better lately

However the bonus 10% for creating runes of your deity does still come and go from restart to restart

Edited by SweetSerenade

i think the deity bonus is if faith >= 20. where sub 20 is jackal bonus.

But i'll add it to my list of bugs to look at later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stanlee said:

I like what this update is trying to do. Doing rifts in the shadow of colossi sounds suitably epic.

That said, I have a number of concerns. Chief among them is what is left over after rifts:

We've got horribly deformed terrain no-one wants to clean up and is resulting in uglified servers

I removed the rift bump code. The reasoning was just fun effects of the rift hitting. However it proved annoying in practice. It will still blow down 87.5% of the trees and make grass into dirt. But should not impact less common ground types.

• Like 8

I tightened the resource node ql spread to 75 - 100ql rather than 50 - 90 ql

• Like 9

I do like the colossus idea, however I don't see anyone actually completing them at their current 2k material requirement. Perhaps cut it down to 500 clay, 500 bricks, then allow people to improve them for points if you're concerned they'll be finished too quickly preventing others from benefitting from the creation points. Successful imp could give a 25% chance for a point?

Tested multiple aoe spells and made sure they don't result in any crazy participation point gain. 

I agree with those in the thread who've said shoulder pads should be impable. If it's going to be possible to roll a rare+ pad from the shop, it should be possible to also make them rare+ ourselves by putting in the work, especially since there seems to be bonuses to the effects provided by a rare pad. Same thing for the jewelry, please allow us to imp them. This would give more use for high ql seryll.

Increasing the ql cap on rift nodes is such a nice change. no more fighting over the turret corpses if you want the higher ql stuff

Could one of the socketed rings provide a combat bonus again? Even just keeping the CR bonus from a ruby socket would be cool

[19:59:36] Test MOI For bracelet of inspiration proc.

[19:59:36] You have a moment of inspiration...

[19:59:36] A bracelet of inspiration is useless and you throw it away.

[19:59:36] You damage the range pole a little.

Imp failed, didn't result in a rare. Was wearing two bracelets and it properly only consumed one of them. Continued imping and successfully rared, losing the second bracelet as expected. Used another bracelet on the rare range pole, and it was bumped up to fantastic. Uhhhhh

Used another bracelet on a plain range pole, it instantly jumped to fantastic. Something is going wrong, unsure if it's due to the "Test MOI For bracelet of inspiration proc" 

Did it again, another fantastic

For the skull shoulder pad, would it be possible to also have it cut down on the "wind-up" time for dualwielding? Currently, offhand weapons don't attack until you're a good 20 seconds into combat, essentially making them deadweight for much of a fight. Any way this wind-up time could be reduced or completely removed while the pads are equipped? (this wouldn't effect pvp as shoulder pad effects are disabled on those servers)

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 2

Be nice if you made it that i could use bracelet and not remove gloves , dont need to remove rings so see no issue .

i might have broken the test mois i can look a that. 

The rift was paused to let people play with colossus but released itself on restart. On the next restart the unfinished items will be visible from farther away based on what the finished item is. (same range as a normal colossus in this instance)

Colossus bricks have been added to the test menu as an item you can create.

• Like 1

Artesian Ring  how does it work?

I am assuming it is diminishing returns like runes.  So, if I have 1 skill, I do 100-1 = 99 * 0.1 = 9.9 skill; if I have 90 skill gain, it is 100-90 = 10 * 0.1 = 1 skill gain?  

If so, this doesn't fit the mature of rifts.  It is assumed that higher level players will be doing these events, yet these items clearly more benefit unskilled players.  Depending on how it is added into the calculations for skilling it could actively even hurt a players skilling by providing smaller tick sizes as the calculations assume a higher skill than what is actually there.

I would instead suggest a flat skill point but limited skills.  Sure, 110 channeling sounds fun but I expect that to really mess up casting as we can already get 109 casts.  But the gathering skills would still be capped at 100ql items , just with fewer fails.  So, a person with 90 woodcutting may get 100ql logs if they had a 10point ring.   Might still be unbalanced, but I think this is at least an improvement over the diminishing returns as it benefits the higher level players as much or even more than the lower level players.

The ring is bonus skill gain. Similar to temporary affinities. The necklace does a skill bonus similar to what you have suggested. However the necklace is considerably more constrained. I did not update the necklace in this patch so the wiki should be accurate.

3 hours ago, Rocklobster said:

How many weeks or months do you think until this is released?

Depends on user acceptance and any critical bugs found but 2 to 4 weeks is the target

• Like 2

Fixed a bug with wearing two bracelets of inspiration will make them not work but still shatter one on MOI.

Shoulder pads are now repairable, new shoulder pads will be impable.

Removed test MOI that were making everything fantastic when wearing a bracelet of inspiration.

• Like 9

Has there been thoughts about how to handle the colossus on pvp servers, I doubt any will ever be made but as is there not being any 2 day prep timer (at least on Defiance, idk about Chaos/epic) and not being able to build with characters on other faiths it may need to be modified in some way