Sign in to follow this  
Krister

New Branding and a New Website -Video

5 minutes ago, Miralux said:

so much I want to say but I cannot find the words...it just keeps stopping in...WTF...

I'm curious how you expect anything to get better if you just express yourself with "WTF"?

Use words? What do you like, what do you not like, and why? Specific, constructive feedback, try it.

• Like 1

I have a growing sense of dread that these guys genuinely have no idea what they're doing.

• GCG tried to bulldoze through changes to the trader system without investigating or attempting to understand any second-order consequences of the changes they wanted to make, because their number one priority was implementing a new storefront, i.e. streamlining the process of parting users from their money.
  • GCG also tried to push for implementing VR for Wurm, a feature that would be used by a portion of the playerbase statistically indistinguishable from a rounding error, and which would bring in exactly zero new players, who would instead keep playing the great number of VR-focused titles available to them. I am in what is probably a tiny minority of people who are both subbed to Wurm Online and own a VR kit and I would like to state emphatically that combining these two things is a recipe for disaster, the idea is bordering on a joke.
  • GCG now using bizarre "placeholder" art when copious art and screenshots exist that actually represent the game, replacing the old logo with a technically and aesthetically worse-looking downgrade, and making improper use of machine-generated text full of factual errors.

All of these things were done without consulting any members of the community who we all know are both capable and enthusiastic in their endeavours to make this game better, indeed in their endeavours to make Wurm a living, breathing place.

These events, and more, represent to me a pattern of behaviour that illustrates a lack of good judgement or discernment skills on the part of GCG. I would prefer to be wrong about this but it appears by all measures that GCG do not understand what Wurm is, do not understand the importance of legacy and history to this community, and I personally do not trust in their ability to carry the game forward.

Rather, I suspect that this game is about to get strip mined by trend-chasing dunning-krugerite investment capital types who falsely have the impression that running a video game company is as simple as using """AI""" tools like a magic wand to do all their work for them, and preying on the goodwill of a community that built up over years around a game that they themselves had nothing to do with building.

I urge the rest of you: Disabuse yourselves of the notion that this game is, or will continue to be, the same thing that you loved before it was acquired by GCG, or you risk being exploited.

Spoiler

bild2.jpg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Specific, constructive feedback, try it.

Or he could do it like this lovely company here and just use GPT.

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 2

A lot of the text on the website has been redone by the dev team before the launch and will be more reflective of Wurm Online as it goes live. 

We will be actively working to suit the website more to our beloved game and community. I understand all of your concerns and I will be making sure things align a bit better to the image we all have for this wonderful world. 

• Like 23
  • Cat 5

Assuming that what is written about ChatGPT being the designer of the new website is true. This brings me to a question. Will the code for the next game update be written by ChatGPT as well? 

1 minute ago, DemonaNightshade said:

A lot of the text on the website has been redone by the dev team before the launch and will be more reflective of Wurm Online as it goes live. 

We will be actively working to suit the website more to our beloved game and community. I understand all of your concerns and I will be making sure things align a bit better to the image we all have for this wonderful world. 

Can you tell us if there is any truth in these temperature changes and if they are being implemented in this update? I'm not against them, willing to give it a try but never seen anything in the upcoming notes about it.

Just now, DannyUK said:

Can you tell us if there is any truth in these temperature changes and if they are being implemented in this update? I'm not against them, willing to give it a try but never seen anything in the upcoming notes about it.

There is no truth to those. We have zero plans to implement temperature changes affecting players. That section should be one that has been changed when the website goes live. 

• Like 6

I wanted to speak up, but I couldn't keep up with the previous posts, so I have to stop reading to say something

Whoever made this material doesn't know the game and has no idea what makes people play it, every day, thousands and tens of thousands of hours. Why are you in Wurm 5, 10, 15 years? Why do you love this game? Logo is totally ugly and doesn't say anything.

Someone who paid for this material can't admit that it's ######, because he would have to admit that he can't evaluate the qualities of Wurm Online and also doesn't understand what makes people spend years on this game. And if he doesn't understand that, how is he going to get new players to love the game? Has steam history taught you nothing? Sometimes I read reviews on steam for fun (which was also supposed to be a big step forward).

I have long believed that Wurm is a niche game for several reasons:

1. It's too hard (if you want marketing, learn from Notch) - create difficulty levels, what we have now is classic, hardcore, for newbies - easy.

2. Lousy tutorial

3. Poor graphics and animations.

Someone has an idea to make money on Wurm. I don't blame him. If this was my game, I'd like it to make money too. However, I see a fundamental error here (the all-talking coin avatar of Krister). Choosing a new director comes with expectations. You have to prove yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong - all previous Wurm designers and managers knew and understood Wurm because they were inside. This time I read the words, but they sound empty - passion, commitment, community, new brand etc.

Has anyone met Kirsten in Wurm, any server, even NFI? Where is his deed? Maybe I missed some event? These are not rhetorical questions. I really would like to know.

Bottom line - I think this video was aimed at investors. If I had seen the clip without knowing Wurm, I would never have entered the game. Like hundreds of other ads that I skip.

• Like 14

Launching game opens a browser ad.

Someone sat there and thought this was a good idea?

Someone sat there and thought that people like and enjoy that and that it isn't annoying?

.. and then sat there and actively spent time implementing this without the thought crossing their mind that ..

.. No.

• Like 1

So we can confirm that GCG has zero clue what they are doing or writing.

Last hope is that they care at least enough to involve the actual Devs more before they touch anything about the game.

• Like 3

I'm so glad to see this community will never change and always wanna sit in their mud puddle screaming and crying like children. If you wanted to rebrand the game yourselves and have more input you should've bought the game off of Rolf. 

Great start - the Rebranding video showing off the new website leads to confusion because AI generated information is used as place holders

This should have all been delayed and the correct info, pics used on the actual day of the rebrand.

Pictures of the new webapge design and layout could have been posted for constructive feedback etc during the lead up.

This is beyond comical now and could do severe damage to the game and community if not already done by some of the replies here.

• Like 13
  • Cat 1

2 minutes ago, Holar said:

If you wanted to rebrand the game yourselves and have more input

Everyone who has played the game for 100 hours has more input.

• Like 4

Just now, Josuhacalvert said:

This is beyond comical now and could do severe damage to the game and community if not already done by some of the replies here.

Well the only good thing is that it won't scare away new players, because they won't understand the problem.

And the playerbase that's here is already damaged in... many ways.

Interesting to use placeholders rather than taking actual screenshots from the screenshot thread.

I don't understand the trailer at all.  I would have used one video or multiple clips of the vidoes that Demona made 2 years ago(?) when she flew over each server.  They were so well done, gave the proper vision of what Wurm was like and I always felt they were never promoted properly by the game.  

• Like 5

I can try to look past those AI images knowing they are placeholders, but the new logo.. please, please keep the old one. It's so much better. The new one really does look like the logo for a crappy mobile game :(

• Like 6

Welcome to the wurm community @Krister - you've now lived through feedback from announced changes.

Just keep in mind, the forums are not always a concrete representation of the playerbase (we're among the older, generally grouchier side).

I can't say I like the website changes, mostly because they look like they're going to be a pain to parse with beautifulsoup if I want to start collecting population data again, but that's going to be a minority issue (a minority of 1 I suspect!).  However, they are more in line with what web 3.0 expects (a mobile-centric approach), and this may well prove unpopular but successful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tukodama said:

Interesting to use placeholders rather than taking actual screenshots from the screenshot thread.

I don't understand the trailer at all.  I would have used one video or multiple clips of the vidoes that Demona made 2 years ago(?) when she flew over each server.  They were so well done, gave the proper vision of what Wurm was like and I always felt they were never promoted properly by the game.  

Those were Malena's videos :) I cannot take credit for them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Welcome to the wurm community @Krister - you've now lived through feedback from announced changes.

Just keep in mind, the forums are not always a concrete representation of the playerbase (we're among the older, generally grouchier side).

I can't say I like the website changes, mostly because they look like they're going to be a pain to parse with beautifulsoup if I want to start collecting population data again, but that's going to be a minority issue (a minority of 1 I suspect!).  However, they are more in line with what web 3.0 expects (a mobile-centric approach), and this may well prove unpopular but successful.

Thankfully the https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/battles/stats.html and such are still a thing for player count

• Like 1

I know I know. Not what we expected. But I hope its for the best and we keep this game going for a long time. Crossing fingers.

• Like 4

I had a thought after my last post, having read through Krister's previous posts here on the site, a little red flag went off in my head, there was something about the writing style that felt off to me.

I ran his text through a GPT-checker tool.

Zot9SeN.png

W9eOsOH.png

AzPVmVe.png

More food for thought.

• Like 6
  • Cat 2

2 hours ago, pagsiu said:

Uugh. Replace the generic images with in-game footage asap.

2 hours ago, Crack said:

The advert could easily be some fly overs of some of the fancier deeds players have built.. maybe a time capture video of something cool being built sped up. 

Like this...

Food for thought,

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus,

Wurmian since 2012

Cartographer of Indy since 2013

Co-Administrator of the Indy Community Map since 2016

Edited by HughMongus
  • Like 8

It could have been so nice, with so little workforce from their side, if they would have just given a crap.

Edited by Beewolf

6 minutes ago, HughMongus said:

Like this...

1000% Yes!

• Like 2

The site asks me to login.

Am I supposed to login to the website with ingame charachter login details or forum account login details?