Sign in to follow this  
Pashka

Fountain Backpacks [Merged]

Just leave them in the game. They are legacy items and it isn't hurting anything. There is no super advantage that one person has over another. They can just store more items without decay. Even if there is something coming down the pipe for storage, there is no reason that you can't have this new item as well as fountain pans. Not a single reason that they can't remain in the game. There is no sense in pissing the majority of the player base off with some asshat move like that. I'm beginning to think that you people just enjoy trolling and pestering the population with nonsense like this.

+1 totally agree with him

Wow, he finally did something about these exploited items

Too bad he did it 2 years too late, or I might never have quit.

Just leave them in the game. They are legacy items and it isn't hurting anything. There is no super advantage that one person has over another (like one has with a BOK/MBOK). They can just store more items without decay. Even if there is something coming down the pipe for storage, there is no reason that you can't have this "new item" as well as fountain pans. Not a single reason that they can't remain in the game. There is no sense in pissing off the majority of the player base off with some asshat move like that. I'm beginning to think that you people just enjoy trolling and pestering the population with nonsense like this.

What population.... If there is 200 in game of these bugged items we are talking about a very small minority....

so i guess one day my spy glass may get removed just because?

No, they'll just be given to everybody again so any market value will plummet.

Tidbit of info - I was playing when spyglasses first made their way in game. They've never been as inexpensive as they are right now.

What population.... If there is 200 in game of these bugged items we are talking about a very small minority....

Just to put this into perspective for some people about how small of a minority were talking about here. Player wise anyways

If its 5000 prem accounts, Lets say 3000 of that is actual players and just to make numbers seem bigger, lets say those 3000 players are all on freedom. And lets say 200 of them have 1 pan each(Which is unlikely since all the people i know have atleast 2). Thats 6.7% of the playerbase who has this item and will be affected by it.

If we say 100 people had 2 pans each, Thats 3.3% affected. And the number gets smaller and smaller as we half the number of people who have pans.

• Like 1

Could someone give a little more info on how this 200 number came about? My guess is that it is just a random number that someone pulled out of their ass. I know a lot of players that own them. That said, most of the players that do own them, tend to be players that also own several toons, deeds, and other items of value. The point here is most players that own these items tend to put a fair amount of money into the game (not just the measly 8e month premium time). From a business perspective, I don't see the logic in running them off over another clown move like removing an item that has been in the game for years.

Edited by Drentle
  • Like 2

Could someone give a little more info on how this 200 number came about? My guess is that it is just a random number that someone pulled out of their ass. I know a lot of players that own them. That said, most of the players that do own them, tend to be players that also own several toons, deeds, and other items of value. The point here is most players that own these items tend to put a fair amount of money into the game (not just the measly 8e month premium time). From a business perspective, I don't see the logic in running them off over another clown move like removing an item that has been in the game for years.

If everyone and their uncle had one they wouldnt go for 50 or 60 s ... They would go for like 3-4 s like a gnome....don't you think ?

I think it's time we all admitted that none of us have any idea what bug is intentional, and what bug isn't. None of us really know what bug will be fixed, when any bug will be fixed, or what is even considered a bug in their eyes.

I have to agree with this statement.  I really do try to be positive about as much as I can, giving the benefit of the doubt when possible, and trying to look at things rationally or fairly.   But it's hard sometimes. 

I never bought a fountain backpack or pan or whatever, since I figured they would get removed sooner or later.  That doesn't prevent me from being sympathetic with those who did.  Seems to me that when they removed the ability to make them and declared it a bug, it would have been a simple thing to include a statement that the existing ones would be removed eventually. And even though "eventually" was a long time coming in this case, at least people would have been forewarned.

I think the not-knowing is a huge part of the problem with this game. The rarity of documentation or making solid statements, and the so-called discovery "feature" of Wurm whenever someone wants to know if something is intended or how it's "supposed" to work, or if it's going to be changed later, causes no end to frustration for a lot of folks. 

I am always reminded of that scene in Young Frankenstein where the monster is struggling to climb the cliff and clearly needs help, and the doctor says something like "No! Don't help him! He wants to do it himself!"  lol.

Edited by Amadee

I want to call up a huge shitstorm. Revolution NOW!

2 rolls of papyrus paper towel for 1s...pm now !!!

If everyone and their uncle had one they wouldnt go for 50 or 60 s ... They would go for like 3-4 s like a gnome....don't you think ?

I agree with that statement, but the number of pans in the game now is probably pretty close to the number of them in the game when they were deemed uncraftable. Their availability has not been a huge problem from what I have seen. Chances are that anyone willing to pay the 60+ euro can get a pan of their own. They are legacy items. There will never be a higher number of them in existence than there is today. They aren't hurting anything. If you want one, buy yourself one. There is no sense in punishing people who have already own one (or several) by removing them from the game for no reason (other than the fact that everyone doesn't have one). Yes, they were introduced via an unintended bug, but if they didn't want them in the game, they should have been removed at that point rather than after a market was created for them and people spent hard-earned RL money to obtain one. Any way you look at, it is a clown move.

Edited by Drentle
  • Like 1

I have to agree with this statement.  I really do try to be positive about as much as I can, giving the benefit of the doubt when possible, and trying to look at things rationally or fairly.   But it's hard sometimes. 

I never bought a fountain backpack or pan or whatever, since I figured they would get removed sooner or later.  That doesn't prevent me from being sympathetic with those who did.  Seems to me that when they removed the ability to make them and declared it a bug, it would have been a simple thing to include a statement that the existing ones would be removed eventually. And even though "eventually" was a long time coming in this case, at least people would have been forewarned.

I think the not-knowing is a huge part of the problem with this game. The rarity of documentation or making solid statements, and the so-called discovery "feature" of Wurm whenever someone wants to know if something is intended or how it's "supposed" to work, or if it's going to be changed later, causes no end to frustration for a lot of folks. 

I am always reminded of that scene in Young Frankenstein where the monster is struggling to climb the cliff and clearly needs help, and the doctor says something like "No! Don't help him! He wants to do it himself!"  lol.

Pretty sure at least one Client Developer said as far back as 3 years ago that they should've of removed the items then, and that they weren't planning to remove this items now, but that doesn't mean they will be supporting the bug items in the future since it based on Legacy coding.

If that doesn't give a warning I don't know what does

What amazes me the most is that they managed to piss off the ones that were against the containers over a few years so they quit, and are now pissing off the ones that own the containers so they quit too. *shrug*

• Like 14

I gave the number 200.

Why 200? Quite simply really, Even if we bumped it up to 300, 400, 500, 600, or even 700 pans in existence(Which is highly improbable because of the number of players of the time, age of the item, decay over time, and item usage) the numbers are still so tiny that it doesnt even make it past 25% of the population.

200 is the reasonable number that may be in existence still after all the decay, usage, age of the item etc.

Well there are a lot lot lot more than 200.

Edited by Sklo:D

Well there are a lot lot lot more than 200.

Very correct there are more than 200 for sure

I gave the number 200.

Why 200? Quite simply really, Even if we bumped it up to 300, 400, 500, 600, or even 700 pans in existence(Which is highly improbable because of the number of players of the time, age of the item, decay over time, and item usage) the numbers are still so tiny that it doesnt even make it past 25% of the population.

200 is the reasonable number that may be in existence still after all the decay, usage, age of the item etc.

This is a B/S number, know why? Because a fella named Tonygreen owned ~150-200 alone at one point, this was a scandalous event back in the day when they were all stolen, the majority of them were sold off to people on freedom before any action could be taken. I honestly wouldn't be in the least bit surprised is something like 1k of these items existed to this day even taking into account decay/accidental dropping etcetc.

Also, any business decision that negatively effects 5% of a customer population much less 25% as you previously mentioned is regarded as an abysmally poor decision.

Edited by Yarnball
  • Like 3

I gave the number 200.

Well, thank you for that clarification. My suspicion of "200" being nothing more than a guess was accurate. They only way to retrieve such information of any merit would be to have a Code Club DBA run a few queries. Basing your guessimate off the number of current players is not a very good approach to take by any stretch. I know several players who own multiple pans. Moreover, of those players, I know of zero that allow their pans to take damage. I would think that is highly unlikely that anyone would obtain one and place it anywhere other than a magical chest. Afterall, the entire purpose of the pan is to allow us to store many items in one location and those items (other than the magical chest) stay damage-free. If the pan isn't in a magical chest, not only will the pan itself take damage, but everything inside the pan will also take damage. Derp...

Edited by Drentle

The day they take the fountain containers out will be my last day in Wurm.

• Like 4

Probably same.

• Like 1

buy my mixtape

track #1 ft. captain obvious is "every new patch is a new bug."

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 4

This^

You gotta be some kind of stupid to think that any good will come from removing fountain containers.  

This^

You gotta be some kind of stupid to think that any good will come from removing fountain containers.  

No, You gotta be stupid to think that using a bugged item was a good idea, then get angry when its removed.

No, You gotta be stupid to think that using a bugged item was a good idea, then get angry when its removed.

do you get mad when you buy something with a lifetime warranty that breaks soon after and when you go to get it replaced they tell you they don't do lifetime warranties anymore?

you have to be stupid to ensure the playerbase that something will remain in the game FOREVER and then take it away

• Like 3

I trawled through the forums to find where Rolf said they were legacy items and will not be removed. GG Rolf in removing it. GG.

• Like 1