Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Priest stuff - more input welcome

I would love some more input in this topic.  I will list some of the stuff we found but of course, this may all be wrong so would like experienced players' feedback too:

1. Despite popular belief, Lib and Mag do not only need Soul strength.  Soul strength has to do with combat spells, while Soul depth has to do with enchants.  As a result, all priests need soul depth to get good enchants.

2. Channeling has to do with shatter rates.  Higher channeling means less shatters.  Some spells like courier, genesis and strongwall has no shatter, so if you don't need a priest to do other spells than these, you don't need high channeling.

3. Locks and cordage ropes are rng.  Even a priest with 85 ropemaking using a rare high ql ropetool with 94 ql wemp renders very few high ql cordage ropes.  The same applies to lock making for mag priests.  I have no idea on cloth squares for fo priests.  The huge impact of RNG on the created items seem out of balance with all those priests using veggies for favour.

4.  Gems: You get double out what you put in.  The gems are useful for travel as you can carry them in satchels or quivers.

5. Priests can change gods moving between pvp and pve.  I am still not exactly sure how all of this works, but it is possible to do so without losing all your faith if you ask a GM for help.  However, not sure the requirements on these.

Of course, like everything else, all of these may be totally wrong...or right...who knows?  More input welcome.

• Like 2

2. Channeling has to do with shatter rates.  Higher channeling means less shatters.  Some spells like courier, genesis and strongwall has no shatter, so if you don't need a priest to do other spells than these, you don't need high channeling.

You will still need channeling for courier in order to make higher power casts more likely I believe. Although, like you said, no need to worry about shattering the mailbox.

3. Locks and cordage ropes are rng.  Even a priest with 85 ropemaking using a rare high ql ropetool with 94 ql wemp renders very few high ql cordage ropes.  The same applies to lock making for mag priests.  I have no idea on cloth squares for fo priests.  The huge impact of RNG on the created items seem out of balance with all those priests using veggies for favour.

Cloth squares are also rng based, as they don't come out max ql each time.

Nahjo is indeed unbalanced, although as many say 'too late to fix now' after so many converted.

5. Priests can change gods moving between pvp and pve.  I am still not exactly sure how all of this works, but it is possible to do so without losing all your faith if you ask a GM for help.  However, not sure the requirements on these.

This conversion only applies to Lib priests coming from Chaos back to Freedom. However it is quite prone to bugs I've heard and may need GM intervention to fix. You can be a lib priest on Chaos and a normal account or any other type of priest on Freedom, but you cannot be a vyn on Chaos and fo on Freedom for example.

Edited by Tinderlog
  • Like 2

I personally have never seen a mailbox shatter.  But I did hear some talk of it at one point.  

• Like 1

I have also heard of someone failing with Genesys as well (one of the CM's - will look up name).

re: Gems

Gems are also the only way to transfer favor between religions (as far as I know). You can vessel a gem with a Fo priest and use it with a Vyn priest

• Like 2

I dont know that much about priest but seems like you could convert to Nahjo and level channeling then go to the faith you want to use because of the better favor items. 

• Like 3

I have also heard of someone failing with Genesys as well (one of the CM's - will look up name).

re: Gems

Gems are also the only way to transfer favor between religions (as far as I know). You can vessel a gem with a Fo priest and use it with a Vyn priest

• Like 1

I have shattered two mailbox's with my priest "when he was junk"

The chance may be small but it is possible

• Like 1

This conversion only applies to Lib priests coming from Chaos back to Freedom. However it is quite prone to bugs I've heard and may need GM intervention to fix. You can be a lib priest on Chaos and a normal account or any other type of priest on Freedom, but you cannot be a vyn on Chaos and fo on Freedom for example.

Unless this has changed since the new religions have been introduced,

If u are a libila priest on chaos u can not be a WL priest on other freedom servers, only a folllower.

Edited by bigsteve
  • Like 1

Unless this has changed since the new religions have been introduced,

If u are a libila priest on chaos u can not be a WL priest on other freedom servers, only a folllower.

Oh, I was pretty sure you could, or at least used to be able to.

• Like 1

I do not feel so much RNG on locks, with 67 locksmithing, 90ql rare anvil the output is constant 70ql average from 90ql iron.

Not much lower but also constant from 80ish iron lumps, all of course on the run of a few hundred locks, I rarely do spamming less than 300-400.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

With a 97 ql Supreme ropetool, 99 ql wemp and 95 ropemaking it is a struggle to have much better then 55 ql cordage over the course of 1k actions. As the tool declines in ql the situation actually worsens further. Once the tool is at 90 ql I am throwing away a good number of cordage rope to maintain a 50 ql bsb average.

• Like 2

With a 97 ql Supreme ropetool, 99 ql wemp and 95 ropemaking it is a struggle to have much better then 55 ql cordage over the course of 1k actions. As the tool declines in ql the situation actually worsens further. Once the tool is at 90 ql I am throwing away a good number of cordage rope to maintain a 50 ql bsb average.

I suppose this should be the case, as ropes were designed to be a sort of 'useful for all, best for none' type of favor saccable.

With such high quality and rarity ropetool/wemp/skill though, it should be better than it currently is however I feel.

all in all door locks still seem to be more consistent as a generic sacc item with the bonus of having double favor for Mag.

Of course now all this is heavily biased to Nahjo with the garlics...

I subscribe to nappy's observations, I have similar stats (RM, supreme ropetool 96.5ql, 99.9 wemp) and my average is as well around 53-55ql with an undamaged ropetool

Now for priests stuff...for a long time I was induced in error by hearsay info I never actually checked out...this was very detrimental for me..

Channeling's role is NOT to prevent objects from shattering, it is more the side effect. Think about the distribution of powers you get over the course of say 1000 casts. It will be a normal distribution. Higher channeling positively offsets the average power of the casts so in the end you will end up with a higher power average. Side effect of higher power average? in your distribution of cast powers you will have less negative power casts that can lead to a shatter

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 1

So what determines the power of an enchant (say WoA, for ease of discussion)?  Channelling? SD? a combination? Something else entirely?  Clearly, there is an element of RNG, but equally, some people get a higher average cast, or get high powers more often than others.  Some spells (like strongwall) are guaranteed, and once you get over certain channelling levels, certain spells rarely, if ever fail - when was the last time you failed to cast opulence on a Vyn with channelling over 30ish? 

All spells have an inherant difficulty, I always assumed this was linked to your channelling skill, to determine whether you actually manage to cast the spell or not (i.e. 'failed to channel'); if you cast the spell, then the power comes into play, either improving or failing to improve an enchant (i.e. the power you cast was lower than what was already on there).  Is this inaccurate?

Do cure spells and stuff like genesis count as enchants or attack, for the purposes of SD/SS?  Or are they all guaranteed success anyway, so it doesn't matter?

• Like 1

Spells definitely have a huge range that I'm not sure will ever lend us to have definitive answers on some of these questions without someone giving us the information that is behind the scenes.

High channeling helps you to not shatter an item for sure.  (Notice I didn't say you wouldn't as that is never a guarantee)  As far as the power of the spell.  Many argue that soul depth comes into play on this.  I find it hard to prove or disprove because I have yet to see a priest with high channeling that did not have nice soul depth.    I do think it plays into it to a degree.  I don't think it is the only or even biggest thing.  I say this as a nice priest that has 50ish sd and gets casts with the best of them and better than alot of folks with much higher soul depth than I have.

I have yet to see Genesis fail.  I do not use cure spells often enough to know if they have a chance of failing.  Somehow I kind of doubt they will though.

• Like 2

3. Locks and cordage ropes are rng.  Even a priest with 85 ropemaking using a rare high ql ropetool with 94 ql wemp renders very few high ql cordage ropes.  The same applies to lock making for mag priests.  I have no idea on cloth squares for fo priests.  The huge impact of RNG on the created items seem out of balance with all those priests using veggies for favour [my emphasis added].

To balance this somewhat, the fix would be to do something about RNG in general, which is the most annoying, irritating, frustrating and nonsensical feature of Wurm, in my - and many others' - opinion.

For example, instead of the current crazy 0 to 100 (or 103?) RNG, have something like: resulting product being in a 10 point quality range, calculated (and maybe weighted in some sensible and much fairer way) from the skill level averaged with the quality of the tool/s and material being used. 

This could also apply to casts, which could be, for example, within a 10 point range of an average of channelling skill, south depth and the ql of the item being cast upon; again with sensible and fair weighting applied.

Moments of inspiration could result in not only the possibility of a rare, supreme or fantastic item, but also possibly a randomly much higher ql item or cast.  While on this subject, please reward farmers with something when they have a moment of inspiration while raking, harvesting or sowing - even 1 rare copper would be better than nothing as at present.

I am no mathematician, but I am sure RNG could be improved to better than it is currently.  Sometimes, the way it operates now, makes me mad as a snake, as it is just so stupid and wastes effort and resources.
Edited by Baloo
  • Like 1

I would love some more input in this topic.  I will list some of the stuff we found but of course, this may all be wrong so would like experienced players' feedback too:

1. Despite popular belief, Lib and Mag do not only need Soul strength.  Soul strength has to do with combat spells, while Soul depth has to do with enchants.  As a result, all priests need soul depth to get good enchants. As a libila priest with 86 channeling and 34 soul depth I regularly get 90-100 power casts. I don't believe all priests require good soul depth for enchanting

2. Channeling has to do with shatter rates. As above I believe channeling to be the main determining factor in cast power. We all know cast power of an item is RNG between 104 and -100+, if the cast power is in the minus above the item quality the item shatters, by increasing cast power we reduce item shattering

1. Despite popular belief, Lib and Mag do not only need Soul strength.  Soul strength has to do with combat spells, while Soul depth has to do with enchants.  As a result, all priests need soul depth to get good enchants. As a libila priest with 86 channeling and 34 soul depth I regularly get 90-100 power casts. I don't believe all priests require good soul depth for enchanting

2. Channeling has to do with shatter rates. As above I believe channeling to be the main determining factor in cast power. We all know cast power of an item is RNG between 104 and -100+, if the cast power is in the minus above the item quality the item shatters, by increasing cast power we reduce item shattering

Well even with 70 channeling i did get alot of good BoTD casts on Lib. But i did go thru 5-6k of ql 99 veggies in the matter of days, so i always thought that the high casts came from the spam casting which in total did roughly 8-10h in a day without a break.

• Like 1

Please can someone confirm if this is correct?

[13:10:13] <"PlayerX"> if you get to 50 preaching everyone you convert will have 10 faith as soon as they start

If true, this is an interesting little bit of info that could be added to a compilation of all the priesting stuff in this thread; if someone is going to do that ofc.

On Epic, the faith you start at is 20% of the effective preaching level of the person who converted you (verus 20% of standard skill on Freedom).

Easiest way to build preaching skill is to "listen" to confessions with sleep bonus turned on.

Edited by Nappy

Can someone please explain how yoyo's work for vyn priests?  I thought they gave double favour.

Sacc'd a 42.42ql yoyo, worth 9 copper (trader price) and the favour gain was exactly 3.5 points (from 29.46 to 33.06)

This seemed to be v.little gain - is this part of the current nerf on priests ?

Many thanks, in hope ...

Looks like its supposed to be that, according to my Wurm Favor Calculator....

a 90ql Yoyo would give you 16.2 favor