Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

41 Stories?

41 Stories Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that 41 stories is too tall?

• Infinite height needs to be allowed.
    • Its not tall enough, but it shouldn't be infinite.
    • Its the perfect height.
    • The max height should be between 20-40.
    • The max height should be between 10-20.
    • The max should be between 7-9
    • The max should be 5 or 6.
    • The max should be lower then all of the options above.
    • I don't think multistory should be added.
    • I have no opinion/I don't know what you are talking about.

Not a pyramid, necessarily.

This:

Qy1C5.png

This is the smallest floorplan to reach the maximum height. Broader designs are possible.

I can imagine something like this being very useful when combined with interior door permissions for villager housing.

Pretty sure this can be achieved without making the building look like an apartment complex.

Oh no, a dragon! its so unrealistic I dont think i can be playing this game any more! What is that? Arties? I cant handle that! Wait is that a 41 storied building that is almost impossible to build? I just cannot handle that! How can i play in a world like that?

Really?

This is a FANTASY game, the requirements are huge for 41 stories, i bet you will be lucky if you see 1 of those on a whole server.

I would like to point out that this player started playing Wurm 5 days ago.

I understand that in fantasy anything could technically happen, but there is a point were its ridiculous.

Pretty sure this can be achieved without making the building look like an apartment complex.

I don't think its possible to make something this tall in a way that it looks like it belongs here.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I would like to point out that this player started playing Wurm 5 days ago.

I been around a few years, dont asumme to much....

Oh no, a dragon! its so unrealistic I dont think i can be playing this game any more! What is that? Arties? I cant handle that! Wait is that a 41 storied building that is almost impossible to build? I just cannot handle that! How can i play in a world like that?

Really?

This is a FANTASY game, the requirements are huge for 41 stories, i bet you will be lucky if you see 1 of those on a whole server.

I'm sick of people using "fantasy" and "sandbox" as excuses for turning the game into their wet dream. I'm not saying that a whole lot of the things in the game don't make sense - because that would be a lie. But at least they go reasonably well together, and there's no way these absurdly high houses would do that. Have you ever read a fantasy book? Have you noticed how plainly people tend to live in them even though there are dragons and elves running about? The feeling of a fantasy book is what people tend to seek when turning to a game like Wurm Online.

When people want absurdly high structures they turn to another game that comes to mind. MineCraft. I'm tired of people comparing Wurm to MineCraft, but after having seen the tall buildings I'm not even going to try to prove them wrong anymore - Because that is evidently the direction in which the game is going. Sad, Wurm should be able to reach success due to being Wurm, not due to becoming MineCraft.

This is Wurm Online, with a technology where we still use rakes to farm, equivalent to the technology where a house with two floors was considered luxury and the whole family slept in one room during Winter time. It took a whole village to build a castle and most people still believed there to be elves in the forest.

And seriously - You understimate the playerbase. The people are VERY crafty and persistent. If it can be made then the whole server's population will be able to get their hands on it. Good bye mighty mountains, I will throw down my coins at you.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

I'm not advocating, just illustrating.

The requirement's to make these towers might be huge, but the need and reasons for them are so insignificant even a single pixel is too much to represent them accurately. I really liked the idea of multistory until I learned the limit of floors would be 41 :S I really can't think of any reason for it, not even one and I'm pretty imaginative.

Whoever must have been 41 floors high when they thought it was a good idea. "huhu I'm so high right now huhu I think everyone should get this high too huhu"

Make a really high mage tower looking model and then add a "crows nest" type feature for them where the player at the base right clicks the tower and selects "use" and then is teleported to the top of the tower where they can turret around freely just like you can on the Caravels or w/e ship it is.

Seriously the block towers are a bad way to achieve w/e the effect Rolf is after when he thought of mage towers, (what ever the fluff they are..or do) Keep the floor limit low, like 3 max! I'm sure if Rolf explains the mage tower concept, then between the rest of us we can think of a better way to get them implemented.

• Like 2

This is a joke. Now I wish multi had never been introduced. :(

The reason for 41 is because Rolf wants mage towers. If you build a mage tower shouldn't you at least be a mage? :D

• Like 4

I'm sick of people using "fantasy" and "sandbox" as excuses for turning the game into their wet dream. I'm not saying that a whole lot of the things in the game don't make sense - because that would be a lie. But at least they go reasonably well together, and there's no way these absurdly high houses would do that. Have you ever read a fantasy book? Have you noticed how plainly people tend to live in them even though there are dragons and elves running about? The feeling of a fantasy book is what people tend to seek when turning to a game like Wurm Online.

When people want absurdly high structures they turn to another game that comes to mind. MineCraft. I'm tired of people comparing Wurm to MineCraft, but after having seen the tall buildings I'm not even going to try to prove them wrong anymore - Because that is evidently the direction in which the game is going. Sad, Wurm should be able to reach success due to being Wurm, not due to becoming MineCraft.

This is Wurm Online, with a technology where we still use rakes to farm, equivalent to the technology where a house with two floors was considered luxury and the whole family slept in one room during Winter time. It took a whole village to build a castle and most people still believed there to be elves in the forest.

And seriously - You understimate the playerbase. The people are VERY crafty and persistent. If it can be made then the whole server's population will be able to get their hands on it. Good bye mighty mountains, I will throw down my coins at you.

Obviously by someones standard we should all live in 1x1 huts with out "families"

And yeah Minecraft is successful and very popular game why not take an example of it?

Because this is Wurm not minecraft, Wurm needs to carve its own way to glory not become a cheap minecraft knockoff like many other crafting games have

Obviously by someones standard we should all live in 1x1 huts with out "families"

And yeah Minecraft is successful and very popular game why not take an example of it?

I have yet to see anyone suggest 1x1 huts. You use extreme hyperbole to minimize the feelings of others. At least be honest about what they want and stop using lies. And as Crack said, this is not Minecraft. It's not a world of blocks.

Edited by Macgregor

Theres another thing to consider... rendering distance. Regardless of how tall a structure is the client will still only render it according to how close you are, as per your gfx settings.

Overall after seeing the 100+ storey monstrosity Elwood and co. got going on Test (they topped it off with a caravel too), Im still covinced Rolf's cap is fine. Although, as an easter egg, 42 might be better :P

Edited by Klaa

I have yet to see anyone suggest 1x1 huts. You use extreme hyperbole to minimize the feelings of others. At least be honest about what they want and stop using lies. And as Crack said, this is not Minecraft. It's not a world of blocks.

"feelings" is a bit too far.. more like opinions, and it isnt a world of blocs but a world of pixels shaped in a way the designer wishes it to be, a pure fantasy world. And no it it is not Minecraft however taking beneficial examples from other games made Wurm what it is, alot of its content was based on other MMOS with adding alot of unique content. (if you player Ultima Online you would know what im talking about)

Okay people you have totally convinced me, since this is a fantasy sandbox game we can add just about anything. I now have a list of little things that should be implemented along with the 42-story buildings:

- Cars (not sports cars of course, just Jeeps and the like)

- Tractors (come on we still use rakes, how lame!!)

- Airplanes (it's sooooo boring travelling)

- Sniper Rifles (bows are dull, rifles look way cool)

- Electricity (so I can light the highest floor of my New York-skyline building to be)

- Add little pixies that fly around healing you (why not)

- Make flying possible (even without the plane, because it's fantasy)

- Add something that grants your wishes when you pray to it (for example a new kind of altar)

And also a list of things that should be changed for the game to be a complete sandbox:

- No protection for anyone (that is stealing is allowed everywhere)

- Every building erected should be bashable (to prevent people from not being free to do whatever they want)

- The servers should be wiped every month (to make sure that new people will get to do everything before anyone else does it)

Oh and also: Those of you who don't agree with the suggestions - Beat it. You don't have to make an airplane yourself, but I desperately need one.

You totally convinced me what this game need is more realism.

Lets get ride of those estupid unicorns, they are totally unreal, if you want some one horned beast, give us rhinos (i know, rhinos have 2), they are allmost the same but fatter, can´t be mounted or tamed btw. I´m not really a traveller, but i did some travle around, and never in my life see a goblin or a troll, neither hell horses or hell hounds, not fiends or lava whatever, never got attacked for a oversized spider, so lets get ride of those.

In real life priest don´t do enchants, neither dominate, and usually like to go around molesting little boys, so get ride of all unrealistic magic, including the mail fairies.

Speacking of horses, mares carry for 11 months on real life, so lets do it, if you want baby horsies, w8 44 in game weeks.

Btw, never see a dude put a felled tree in his pocket and wander around, so get ride of that too, how tf can someone carry 10 logs are you kiddin me?

Also 1 dude with a saw and an axe build a caravel? yeah sure, thats a no no my friend, a caravel must take 3 year to 20 guys working every day for being finished, and forget about it going to anywhere with one crew, tsk at least 10 people, ang good luck tryng to drag it or push it...

And irl you don´t chop a tree and start making planks the very same second, you need to let it dry for months, or years depending the kind of wood.

And thats only the begining.

Someone sayd Dragons?

• Like 2

... (post above)

There is awesome fantasy, and then there is outrageous fantasy that looks terrible and is an eyesore to everyone that has to look at it.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

We will have 500 LOTR towers on Indy server alone...

When people support a suggestion and they haven't even been a member for a month I disregard them. No offence.

lol, you think my account age is less then a month?

[17:35:01] You have played 534 days, 15 hours and 4 minutes.

forum > Member Since 29 Jun 2010.

My orginal toon and forum name was Qex (which is so old it doesn't exists anymore).

Anyway I'm excited about multistory and of coarse I respect that you think it will be ugly.

Not sure why people play a game taking place in a fantasy world when they are so keen on turning it into Hotel Empires online. There's a difference between sandbox fantasy and modeling tool.

Why they picked 41 stories I'll never know, but they did and so in a year we'll have forgotten about this and the new players will most likely think it's really cool.

• Like 1

Unless they are gonna change it in the next cpl of days, on the test server you dont even need to build the walls to go up. You just keep building a floor above with a opening, then its 41 floating platforms.

7 - 9 maximum I think fits high fantasy and Wurm and yet is within "reason".

I also believe overall QL of the Buiilding should be a determining factor for every floor above the first floor, in keeping with how so many other items and skills in Wurm work.

How high of a building can a Player Carpenter build? 1 extra floor for each 10 levels of Carpentry skill is one way(**see below), and I would suggest tying into the building calculation QL of the walls and floor of each level, 10 QL required minimum for first floor and 10QL for each floor above the 1st, so a 2 story building would need 20QL minumum, 3 story needs 30QL, with 9 story needing 90QL for all lower floors to start the ninth floor. If any wall or floor tile does not meet the minimum then maybe a message such as "The Foundation of this Building can not support another Floor without further improvement" could pop up alerting the builder to recheck the QL of all parts of the Building. i don't know if this is possible in the game coding, but I don't see why it couldn't be possible.

Even though I disagree with Rolf's idea of 41 floors, I would say Use the "foundation system" Rolf mentioned in the IRC chat, I think that is a good idea and perhaps add the above. It gives incentive for players to level up Carp and creates a demand for highly skilled Carpenters, something that frankly has been lacking for a long time imho.

(**Carpentry skill of 11 needed for 2 floors, 21 for 3 floors....81 for 9 floors, 91 allows a roof top terrace above 9th floor. The ability to build 3 floors and higher buildings should be imho a premium perk.)

Edited by Kyrmius

I like the idea of being able to create 41 story buildings, just make it so you can only extend the building up one floor after you have already completed all floors below, and suddenly it would take at absolute minimum 3,280 bricks and mortar to make a tiny 1x1 skyscraper - that's six and a half guard towers work of effort, it won't be common..

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

Unless they are gonna change it in the next cpl of days, on the test server you dont even need to build the walls to go up. You just keep building a floor above with a opening, then its 41 floating platforms.

Cool. Anti gravity and we already have Planck Generators. When do we get the space ships?

Edited by Sarcaticous

That would be better.

Also its kind of weird that you need 30 carpentry to build internal walls in a house, but you can build 11-story houses at 29 carpentry.

Actually im not sure but i heard that you wont be able to build larger towers without bottom supports, like internal walls