Aldur

Wurm Assistant - Enrich Your Wurm Experience

1 minute ago, Homestead said:

Yes. When ignoring the warning that says it isn't the right folder and proceeding anyway, it crashes.

But when I then select reconfigure and find the correct folder, it works fine.

What do you consider the correct folder? To my knowledge I'm selecting the correct folder, get the warning, and then it crashes.

Aldur just to note, for the last week or so smile examine is simply not doing anything, not updating creatures info, not adding new creatures. Nothing has changed in my set up so no idea what is going on. Not getting any error messages or anything, all opens normally.

Hi @TildaI've just ran the version everyone here is using and smilexamine is working correctly. Tried official launcher and steam version. Source must be somewhere else. No warnings in logs?

Try maybe starting WA "fresh" and checking if that works. Easiest way is to use -relativedatadir command line arg when starting (should be .bat for that there already, in the launcher dir). When using this option, all WA data will be right in launcher folder named data-wa-o. You can then also clear it and start fresh again. And when you'd like to use the old WA data, simply run it normally again.

@ZuelatakI've just tried steam version of Wurm (normally not using it). I've noticed that WA does not find the correct game folder by itself, have to be selected manually (using "find" button in the dialog). Since you have already selected a folder, that causes a crash, you need to click "reset wurm assistant config" in that crash dialog to get the choice again.

My suspicion is that you've selected a path too deep (\gamedata\players - suggested by error you've sent me). Simply select D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Online\gamedata and it should work again.

Edited by Aldur

Very odd, but looking through the logs it seems somehow irc logs got into one of my alts log files, and WA was trying to read them. It was skipping them but still, I got rid of them and now smile examine works again :D

PS didn't have to do any of what you listed, but ty will note if any further issues.

Edited by Tilda
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:19 AM, Aldur said:

@ZuelatakI've just tried steam version of Wurm (normally not using it). I've noticed that WA does not find the correct game folder by itself, have to be selected manually (using "find" button in the dialog). Since you have already selected a folder, that causes a crash, you need to click "reset wurm assistant config" in that crash dialog to get the choice again.

My suspicion is that you've selected a path too deep (\gamedata\players - suggested by error you've sent me). Simply select D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Online\gamedata and it should work again.

"gamedata" worked. I had been trying "Wurm Online" the "players" attempt just happened to be the one I sent you. Based on the installation instructions I thought it wanted the main game folder. Thanks for the help. 

@Zuelatakglad it worked. Thanks for pointing that instructions may be misleading, I'll reword that to be more clear! :) Cheers!

kind of a odd bug, but skill tracker flips out when you lose a decent amount of skills, such as dechamping

f34c2f94d4780803afe933ae2c593819.png

80688f4df2b31fcd714cc93e01dc8bf1.png some of them displayed properly, not sure what causes one to mess up but not the other

37ac4d3daf46fa7c61597f9a6678e3af.png

what the skill loss looks like

Hi @Oblivionnreaver, couple control questions to narrow this down:

1. Do you have skill dumps generation enabled?

2. Is the current level correct in the screenshots above?

3. Would you be willing to send me all your skill and event logs from the range and any associated skill dumps, so I can try to reproduce the issue?

I will look into this issue anyway, but the more info I've got, the easier it will be to nail down.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Hello, I do not know if I got a response previously. However, I have some horses in game that Granger detects mismatches on thus doesn't add them to the herd. The mentioned mismatches are like, one parents name being black but the new parent named, or a old parent name being black but new parent being named. I'm aware the Animal Update may have done something to cause this, a bit unfortunate I can't have Granger itself include the horses and update them appropriately.

Hi @KionScar, actually wasn't aware of this issue. I was considering to just drop parents from these validations and now I see I need to do just that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does the workaround of manually updating parent names in Granger help to fix this for now?

----

Hi folks.

As usual I'm late with everything, but I guess it's nothing new when it comes to my Wurm Assistant updates.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting Granger to love me again and just bend to my will for the required update.

I've finally decided to take it slower and the nearing WA update will not have breeding assistant included.

I quite feel I just need to release anything, so that yer increasing beer supply that im drinking as soon as delivered, is not wasted!

But of course the breeding assistant will be back. And I welcome any ideas as to how it should work to be most useful. Some of the new inbreeding aspects seem a little foggy.

Cheersy!

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aldur said:

I've finally decided to take it slower and the nearing WA update will not have breeding assistant included.

Can we still keep the current version of Granger?

I still find it useful.

Edited by Homestead
formatting

4 minutes ago, Homestead said:

Can we still keep the current version of Granger?

I still find it useful.

I assumed from @Aldur's post that Granger would be there... just not the breeding assistance part of Granger.  No?

Yes it's only about breeding assistant.

The Granger itself will still be there :)

But if the current breeding assistant is still useful, I can keep it working for now.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, Aldur said:

Yes it's only about breeding assistant.

The Granger itself will still be there :)

But if the current breeding assistant is still useful, I can keep it working for now.

I guess I don't know what the 'breeding assistant' is.  :D

If it is the column with "Breed Value," then no, I do not use that.  I do find useful the way it shows available pairings (like if I highlight a male, it shows the females available in green) and related potential matches that 'should' not be done in red. So if those are 'breeding assistant' then yes, it is still useful.

I've been using the Comment column with a shorthand for traits. I.e., "Speed 2 M1" or "Draft 3 Clean"
  Then I can sort on that column to pick if I want to breed for cart animals or mounts.

I really appreciate what you have done and are doing.

• Like 1

If Granger could record all the traits this would be very useful even without Breeding Assistant being able to make useful breeding recommendations.

Maybe colour code the trait backgrounds in Trait View by group ? Speed green, Draft yellow, Miscellaneous brown, Output pink, Negative red something like that.

Thanks for all your hard work Aldur supporting this program for so long.

• Like 4

On 7/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, Explora said:

Maybe colour code the trait backgrounds in Trait View by group ? Speed green, Draft yellow, Miscellaneous brown, Output pink, Negative red something like that.

I second this idea, without the breeding assistant this could be very useful in planning pairs. 

On 7/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, Explora said:

Thanks for all your hard work Aldur supporting this program for so long.

and I second this as well! Awesome work and support all this time. 😃

On 7/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, Explora said:

Thanks @Explora, this is a great idea and doesn't sound like rocket science (I've already coded trait category on my working branch!)

• Like 2

Speaking for only myself, I've found the ability to create arbitrary point values for each of the traits and to define specific 'filters' for them is remarkably useful.

Given the current system, I have the following point values filters set up for horses:

Genesis: All negative traits are worth 1 point, all other traits are worth 0 points.  This lets me very quickly see which animals need either a genesis cast or need to be culled.
Speed
: Each of the recognized speed traits is worth 1000 points.  Other valued traits - spark, etc - are worth 100 points if highly valued or 10 points if less valued.  All other traits are set to 0.
Draft: Each of the recognized draft traits is worth 1000 points.  Other valued traits - spark, etc - are worth 100 points if highly valued or 10 points if less valued.  All other traits are set to 0.

So by switching between value presets, I can see at a glance by looking at the 1000s number which animals are best breeders for a particular trait.  Anything in the 100s slots is an added bonus for things like 'spark'.

So possibly pre-set filters for 'Breeding for draft', 'Breeding for speed', 'Breeding for output', etc. might be useful.    Or not - because this is just me :)

• Like 6

Hi @Sidereal , thank you for sharing how you work with breeding advisor. I've also had couple more similar feedbacks about it. It seems I was totally unaware how creatively it is used. :D 

For that reason the current advisor will stay (only be expanded with new traits).

I will add the new advisor as an alternative. I've had similar idea to yours - have preset targets like "breeding best possible speed horse", "breeding best possible draft horse". But that part will take more time, as we are missing exact probability numbers for trait inheritance. I need to either find those values somehow or define some abstract rules adequate for it.

• Like 3

@Sidereal I've been doing something similar but I like your scoring system much better. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Aldur said:

(only be expanded with new traits)

Perfect!

Truly, you created such a great program originally that just by adding the new traits it will remain great.

If you then go on to add your own special magic when what they have done becomes clearer, it will just get better.

Thank you again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aldur said:

I will add the new advisor as an alternative. I've had similar idea to yours - have preset targets like "breeding best possible speed horse", "breeding best possible draft horse". But that part will take more time, as we are missing exact probability numbers for trait inheritance. I need to either find those values somehow or define some abstract rules adequate for it.

From my experience with the new changes, so far there is not really a way to breed for certain single traits, just the sub category of desired traits...Combat, Draft and Speed. I have not seen there being a way like there used to be to single out the separate traits in each of the new categories. Thus granger may be best used to display what traits there are, and then just match animals from the desired category. Matching draft with draft and speed with speed and not even need to break it down any further then that. From what I've seen so far in my experience and the experiences of others posting, it is random which of the traits you will end up with in a category, there is no way to single out which one you want.

With the old system, if I wanted Lighting on a horse, I could breed horses with that trait and have a greater chance of it passing down, now it just seems that the category is what is the greater chance of passing down, with which parent that being picked from being random (from what has been stated via the devs so far) and the traits within that category also being random, with hopes that you have enough AH skill to get all the traits of that category and not any thing else that is not desired.

As others have said, thank you for the work you put into this. I know I can say that your time is greatly appreciated and I look forward to what you end up with! 

Happy Wurming

Thank you. This is valuable info! Though couple questions immediately arise.

Does the number of traits in a category on parents influence chances for such category traits on offspring? Like if parents have 5 speed traits, the chance for 5 speed is greater then if they had just 1? Or is it based solely on AH skill?

How about horses with traits of mixed categories. Do they also produce mixed category offspring on average?

I don't need exact odds, just a 1-0 observation - there is correlation vs there does not appear to be.

Edited by Aldur

I'd avoid trying to develop around animal handling traits right now. Supposedly it's being worked on and will change again soon. If I where you I'd completely ignore all aspects of traits. I'd also work on how Granger can distinguish between different animals. It wants me to breed bison "F 3M" and Dapple. One is a female bison and the other is male donkey.

3 hours ago, Aldur said:

Like if parents have 5 speed traits, the chance for 5 speed is greater then if they had just 1?

From what I've seen of people posting it doesn't seem to matter.

Here is what I believe:

* A child has increased chance to inheriting major category from parents. The child can inherit from  either mother or father. Thus, if both parents have the same major category it's the best case.

* Negative traits have reduce chance of occurring as the breeders AH skill goes up.

* Your not guaranteed a trait point total equal to what's your max AH skill provides. Many people seem to be seeing almost 50% of max form what I seen in posts.

* After major category and the inverse "negative trait chance:AH skill" relation are applied RNG takes over. The first two likely provided weighting for the RNG roll.

3 hours ago, Aldur said:

How about horses with traits of mixed categories.

A parent that has 3 speed and 2 draft traits has a chance to pass either speed or draft major category to the child. I suspect it's the same chance even know the parent has more speed traits.  That's wrong, the parent would be major speed and would have the chance to pass major speed category to child.

I think a simple correlation is that parents with majority major category type traits (the animal could be speed major yet have other major-type traits) increases the chance to pass that major category to the child. A child with a major category will be more likely to have traits in that category.

side note...Could Granger be taught to distinguish different animals? It seem to assume all animals can be breed together. Maybe that is a breeding assistant thing.

Edited by Ogare
major catagory clarifictions.
  • Like 1

Hmm I somehow thought there will be more finesse to this new system. Thank you for bringing in all this knowledge, it's priceless since I no longer have my stable, where I used to experiment with the old system while making Granger.

I will try to model new breeding assistant using only the strong facts you've mentioned.

As for distinguishing animals, it may be possible, but animal type is not something clearly communicated by examines. Sometimes overwritten by names, males and females have different names forcing some dictionary mapping. Could be tricky to do this automatic way, but will add it to the list and think about it.