The weekly maintenance restart will happen on Wednesday, May 1st this week.
Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Circumvening The Nerf

The title of this thread is Circumventing the Nerf. From what I've seen of how unpopular the change has been, how about the best circumvention, just revert the change! Rolf, does really it take dropping a tree on you to see you added nothing to the game and brought on a lot of hostile feelings from your playerbase over some silly lights?

• Like 1

No, it should be reverted back to the way it was. (109 votes [75.17%])

4566868460s.jpg

<9gag steal>

guess it's time to scrap lamps in favor of animals that give off light. I hadn't even considered that option until others posted it but I guess it's the only chore free way to keep your stuff lit through the night now, just to bad we can't have walls/fences in mines. I'll have to get myself 10-20 hell horses then, maybe even 30 considering the size of my deeds and that I'd need to keep breeding em.

This should certainly help the animal cap quite a bit if everybody does that.

I must say looking at this change now it's so bad it's funny.

Many areas, especially roads, will simply go dark. Wurm used to be quite beautiful at night but that will be lost and that means the first impression will be a lot worse for new players since they can't see a thing and they don't start with a lamp in their starter kit, do they? (so yeah, they can't see a thing at night and there won't be many lit lamps near them either, nice one Rolf). Travel by road will also be deadlier for them at night since they won't see enemies coming as fast. So yeah, that should certainly help reduce the growth of the game by driving away even more new players.

Existing players who try to keep their deeds lit with olive oil will have a lot more chores to do now and less time to have fun, logically that's going to cost the game at least some players (probably players who'd have ended up quitting anyway, but now they do it a bit earlier due to the fun factor being reduced by an increase in chores).

And then there's the players who replace their lamps with penned hell horses and other light giving animals, which certainly isn't going to help an already strained animal cap. Just imagine a deed with 10 lamps replacing it with 5 of such animals. Many deeds have more lamps, some might have less, but that's easily 2k domestic animals just for Indy. Yeah that's easily 10% of one of the animal caps going into lighting the area instead of hunting.

This nerf is ingenious, did you think of it during lunch just like when you thought of making JKH open to raiding? :lol:

• Like 1

I'm way ahead of you.....

Circumvent the lighting nerf!

Breeding pairs of hell horses for sale. Delivery available. PM Ambersummers in game for details. :rolleyes:

Update:

No, it should be reverted back to the way it was. (141 votes [76.63%])

According to a minor forum population in a poll that only had 2 choices, yes or no. Wonder how many would have voted if there was a 'i dont care' option.

I get the impression that all this complaining is infact a victim of its own success, it doesnt matter what Rolf does people will just complain regardless of what it is so he makes his changes and ignores the forums, cant say I blame him. I mean to threathen to leave the game because of a few lamps, thats just immature blackmail, if someone wants to stop playing then just stop playing, stating 'if you dont do what i want you to do, then im going to quit!' is childish.

Saying that one change will 'force' people to atagonise another problem, a problem that affects everyone playing (preventing spawns) is also blackmail and its also selfish. Some people need to just accept this and let it go. Or save yourself all this stress, dig up abit of tar and spend a few minutes filling your lamps, then you can forget about them for a week.

Edited by York

@york this poll choise wasnt useful, cause it only went the "black and white" answers....

as example: I don't like the new lamp change, but I also don't think it needs to be reverted...just worked on....2-3 days for a lamp is just a too harsh change, compared to infinite, don't you think?

it also uses MUCH more material that way then before(and when I understood it correctly it even effects tar lighted lamps)

a compromise would be good (no, this oil barrell is no compromise for that as it costs 1 silver per month LOL)

soo.....why not make it 2 weeks? or 1 month?

but there were alot of suggestions already....just actually it seems like rolf just wanted us to pay more time and money for his game :o and I could understand that if it wouldn't be so obvious...

dig up abit of tar and spend a few minutes filling your lamps, then you can forget about them for a week.

Please do that for the lamps in the cave canals, especially in that few minutes timeframe. And 73 times a year while you are at it (once every 5 days).

then see if you still think there's no issue with this update at all and that we should just accept it and let it go (note I'm not saying the lamps should burn forever, but 5 days?....)

@york this poll choise wasnt useful, cause it only went the "black and white" answers....

as example: I don't like the new lamp change, but I also don't think it needs to be reverted...just worked on....2-3 days for a lamp is just a too harsh change, compared to infinite, don't you think?

it also uses MUCH more material that way then before(and when I understood it correctly it even effects tar lighted lamps)

a compromise would be good (no, this oil barrell is no compromise for that as it costs 1 silver per month LOL)

soo.....why not make it 2 weeks? or 1 month?

but there were alot of suggestions already....just actually it seems like rolf just wanted us to pay more time and money for his game :o and I could understand that if it wouldn't be so obvious...

Completely agree, I suggested that the time be increased too and alos like Oracles suggestion about Tar processing but im not going to threaten to quit the game if nothing gets changed or start hording hellhorses preventing spawns for everyone else. Its an added chore, I agree there too but not one that I believe is significant enough to warrant all the threats, attacks on rolf and so on. I understand this is unpopular but the majority of replies here and on the other 6 or so threads are nothing but over-reactions, the same thing happened when Rolf announced the Celebration server.

Canals and roads is abit of a dissappointment, were just going to have to live without them, again its not ideal but its not the end of the world. Well just have to use better personal lights while navigating those places.

Im not saying im 100% for this change, im not. But all this hostility towards Rolf will not improve the game or improve communication between the players and the devs, it will have the opposite effect which is exactly whats already happening. If were not enthusiastic about the game, why would Rolf be? I feel pretty sorry for the guy, noone regardless of what they do deserves all this hostility.

Completely agree, I suggested that the time be increased too and alos like Oracles suggestion about Tar processing but im not going to threaten to quit the game if nothing gets changed or start hording hellhorses preventing spawns for everyone else. Its an added chore, I agree there too but not one that I believe is significant enough to warrant all the threats, attacks on rolf and so on. I understand this is unpopular but the majority of replies here and on the other 6 or so threads are nothing but over-reactions, the same thing happened when Rolf announced the Celebration server.

Canals and roads is abit of a dissappointment, were just going to have to live without them, again its not ideal but its not the end of the world. Well just have to use better personal lights while navigating those places.

Im not saying im 100% for this change, im not. But all this hostility towards Rolf will not improve the game or improve communication between the players and the devs, it will have the opposite effect which is exactly whats already happening. If were not enthusiastic about the game, why would Rolf be? I feel pretty sorry for the guy, noone regardless of what they do deserves all this hostility.

Rolf has thick skin. He has to, after all the crazy mistakes he's made, and all the player complaints he gets when he makes changes to the game that he's not thought about through the PVE perspective.

It's pretty darn obvious based on past actions that he really wants Wurm to be PVP everywhere, but a significant part of his player base keeps pointing out to him that they want nothing to do with a Wurm that has PVP everywhere.

So whenever there's a change, one must look at it with the following question in mind: "Did Rolf forget about the possible impact on his PVE servers, again?" Far too frequently, the answer appears to be a resounding "yes"

This change to lamps will have little if any significant effect on PVP servers. There might be some complaining, but most major construction on PVP servers is about defense, not looking pretty. While I have seen some pretty extensive uses of lamps in some PVP areas, it's not the norm to my experience. Publicly lit areas are even less common unless things have changed drastically on Wild or Epic since I was last at either place.

For PVE servers, this change will have the following predictable effects:

1) Raging over olive tree plantations.

2) Far less low end smithing work for new smiths - lamps were a pretty good way for new smiths to get coin or trade for tools.

3) Creature cap issues will be made worse. People who in the past had no interest in animals will start keeping hellhounds, hellhorses, lava spiders, fiends, etc. around their deeds to provide light.

4) A firm conviction amongst most of the PVE player base that Rolf doesn't actually think about the impact of his changes that he makes without testing.

All of this for the stated purpose of increasing the utility/value of olive oil, which could easily have been adjusted by adding it as a cookable item and/or adding it into some sort of alchemical process for some other useful function, like tempering, better paints, or preservatives.

For the PVP servers, if you want to make olive oil more useful... Clay pot + olive oil + tar = oilpot. Throw oilpot on a player mounted on a hellhorse, and that player starts to burn. Damage and chance to activate on hit based on the QL of the oilpot. Made with alchemy.

Edited by Farmerbob
  • Like 2

Saying that one change will 'force' people to atagonise another problem, a problem that affects everyone playing (preventing spawns) is also blackmail and its also selfish. Some people need to just accept this and let it go. Or save yourself all this stress, dig up abit of tar and spend a few minutes filling your lamps, then you can forget about them for a week.

This is not blackmail. This is the playerbase adapting to a change in mechanics. Rolf took the easiest and most reasonable form of lighting and turned it into an ugly, boring, menial, unsatisfying chore. We are now left with a few options;

1) Waste a bunch of time harvesting olives and pressing oil, then hoping you made enough to last till next season.

2) Waste less time digging up tar, but then waste a bunch of time once or twice a week filling lamps.

3) Get some fire animals and call it done. One time investment of time in the cage, and maybe some feeding if you chose a horse.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it the "obvious" choice, but it does look pretty enticing.

Knowing Rolf within the week all flaming creatures will bash walls if penned.

My deed is expensive enough without a guard, don't want too hire a guard for it to work. Wurm is becoming way too much micro-management imo, I want to enjoy the game and not worry about my lamps that I need a guard and tons of oil for my lamps. Darkness is nearing.

Rolf, I think that the most recent changes turn an ugly, awful implementation of a really unpopular idea that you already had resolved years ago, into an uncreative, mundane solution to a problem that could have been solved in a way that actually improved your game.

Thank you for mitigating the atrocity of the initial implementation, but, really, would it be that hard to implement olive oil in cooking, tempering, paints, preservation, leatherworking, etc, whatever, and just revert back to the implementation that you agreed to and implemented a couple years ago?

How about using olive oil on pelts and furs to make hides? Or actually making olive oil act as a preservative in containers, provided that there is more than 1kg of oil present, and the oil evaporates over time?

Look at all the things the greeks did with olive oil in ancient times. Surely Wurmians could discover some of these same things.

• Like 1

Hi,

Rolf has thick skin. He has to, after all the crazy mistakes he's made, and all the player complaints he gets when he makes changes to the game that he's not thought about through the PVE perspective.

It's pretty darn obvious based on past actions that he really wants Wurm to be PVP everywhere, but a significant part of his player base keeps pointing out to him that they want nothing to do with a Wurm that has PVP everywhere.

So we can assume a scenario like this?

Rolf: Grrmmbblle, they still all are playing on the PvE servers, and nobody cares about the sheer beauty of Wurms PvP combat log analyzing and skill & gear number comparing? I'll teach you!

Rolf: *Horse nerf 1, backwards movement nerfed to 1/3*

Players: disband, disband, disband

Rolf: You dare to antagonize my wisdom? Eat this!

Rolf: *Horse nerf 2, they get attacked now*

Rolf: This will teach you treacherous Freedomers! You better go Pvp finally, else ...

Players: disband, disband, disband, disband

Rolf: I don't get it, how stupid you are? U!must!PvP! Is this so hard to understand? Well, I have quite more at hand!

Rolf: *Bang! Lights go out!*

Players: disband, disband, disband, disband, disband

Rolf: Hehe, this should have done the trick, they'll finally PvP now ...

Rolf: Oh [censored], these [censored] [censored] have gone? Who'll pay my bills now? Oh [censored] [censored], only 20 Pk'ers left on Chaos, and they are threatening to leave, too, because of no more newbies to gank! Who'll pay for my pizza now? Oh [censored]!

And then the lights went out.

Have fun!

PS: This is usually called "satire". It's not meant this seriously, it lives from exaggerating the facts. But if it's good, it contains quite some truth.

• Like 8

Xandra for Rolf's personal advisor(well, more like stupid idea pointer-outter), please!

Too bad we cant use all the heat this topic has generated to light our deeds hehe

And, +1 Xandra :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this